Menu

Can you recommend a good dishwasher?

My dinosaur of a dishwasher bit the dust. It still works, but the door is shot completely. The thing is built like a tank!

We need to replace it this weekend, and I wondered about recommendations. Everyone I know who has gotten a new one hates it. My parents got a Bosch and paid through the nose, they don't like it. My mother in law and sister got medium priced ones, and both are unhappy with their choices. I don't want to spend a lot on it, but I do want it to work. I have heard there are some cheap ones that are better than the pricey ones, do you have a recommendation? THANKS!

My dinosaur of a dishwasher bit the dust. It still works, but the door is shot completely. The thing is built like a tank!

We need to replace it this weekend, and I wondered about recommendations. Everyone I know who has gotten a new one hates it. My parents got a Bosch and paid through the nose, they don't like it. My mother in law and sister got medium priced ones, and both are unhappy with their choices. I don't want to spend a lot on it, but I do want it to work. I have heard there are some cheap ones that are better than the pricey ones, do you have a recommendation? THANKS!

My KitchenAid is wonderful. We've had it five years, and it still cleans beautifully. It's not as quiet as I'd hoped, but they make quieter ones. It has a time delay feature, so I just set it to start after we've gone to sleep. This isn't the highest end model. It's about third from the top of their line, I think.

I've always been happy with KitchenAid dishwashers.

NOT a Frigidaire!!! I got one less than 2 years ago and it's already needed repairs twice (both covered under the extra warranty we bought) and is now needing repair for the third time (we didn't extend the warranty as I'd rather put the $50 toward a new dishwasher when this one goes - likely soon).

On top of that, it never did clean well. It cleans (usually, not always) IF you get off any major stuff first and don't put glasses in the corners.

I've since looked up consumer reports on dishwashers... Frigidaire is the worst when it comes to repairs. I wish I'd looked at that BEFORE I bought mine.

Before this one we had a Maytag that lasted 11 years. I loved that dishwasher and kick myself many times over that we didn't stick with a Maytag when we replaced it. We chose the Frigidaire because it was Made in the USA... I guess I'm not as concerned about that when I replace it, but I still won't buy Made in China.

A dishwasher SHOULD last more than two years WITHOUT needing repair if you ask me - AND I don't like to pre-wash to wash.

We've had a Whirlpool Gold Quiet Partner III for a few years now, and I really like it. It isn't the top of the line in Whirlpool quietness, but it's so much quieter than the one we had before.

The silverware caddy is mounted in the door and the interior is stainless steel (I think!). I like both of those features. Plus, I just like the arrangement of the racks.

Good luck--there are so many choices out there!

Our Kitchenaid dishwasher just died last night after a difficult 13 year tour of duty! I don't know if I would get another one or not, it was loud and I had to prewash which I absolutely hate to do. I'd rather just wash the dishes completely than wash and deal with the dishwasher. But it held up pretty well and until the last couple years did a pretty good job.

I have no idea what dishwasher to get next though so I'm all ears!

Our Kitchenaid dishwasher just died last night after a difficult 13 year tour of duty! I don't know if I would get another one or not, it was loud and I had to prewash which I absolutely hate to do. I'd rather just wash the dishes completely than wash and deal with the dishwasher. But it held up pretty well and until the last couple years did a pretty good job.

MOST dishwashers on the market these days are SUPER quiet.

Our's is in the middle range of decibels (not sure of the number), but we can barely hear it. Sometimes I have to walk up to it to know if its running or not.

Our old one sounded like a fighter jet taking off in our kitchen. It used to wake up our daughter at night (when I would run it).:glare:

I have this one...

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/GLD6760NSS.html?mv_pc=ggsku2&gclid=CJWe14GvsKQCFRVhgwod5hNl0g

I have had *lots* of trouble with dishwashers in the past. This one is my third since we built our house 8 years ago, and I really like it. My other dishwashers have had such long cycles! This one has a quick wash that is 37 minutes, and actually does a fairly good job cleaning the dishes (though they don't end up dry). I do occasionally have to reach down and remove a chunk of food from the filter thingy, but I don't have to empty a filter or anything, so I don't mind doing it occasionally. It really only happens when one of my kids leaves something like half a walnut, or a big(ish) piece of lettuce, that won't fit into the disposal thingy in the machine.

If I had to look for another dishwasher, I'd look for the model that replaces this one.

My kitchenaid died recently after 19 years. I never rinsed dishes, at it worked great until the last month. So sad! I'm not sure what I'm getting next.

I am reading with great interest, keep it coming!

Mine is 20 years old, and REALLY loud, but I don't care at all about that. I just want it to work for a good long time. Sounds like KitchenAids are lasting people a long time! Mine was a Maytag, but I have not been impressed with Maytag washers, so I won't risk it on a dishwasher.

Off to read those reports, thank you!

I have a dual-drawer dishwasher, and I ADORE it. Each drawer operates independently, so you can load one while the other runs and never, ever have dirty dishes waiting for a dishwasher. It also holds more than a standard dishwasher (each drawer holds approximately 6 *full* place-settings, as opposed to a standard dishwasher's capacity of 10), it's relatively quiet, and it's energy efficient.

Mine is a DCS by Fisher-Paykel, but other companies (KitchenAid, I believe is one) are making this style now too.

NOT a Maytag! We have had a couple of those and they are now made of cheap plastic in a lot of the parts and just do not hold up. My mom always swore by a KitchenAid and I know the one she had lasted a long time. My Maytag is in really rough shape (only about 4 yrs old) and I am waiting for us to remodel our kitchen before I replace it.

NOT a Maytag! We have had a couple of those and they are now made of cheap plastic in a lot of the parts and just do not hold up. My mom always swore by a KitchenAid and I know the one she had lasted a long time. My Maytag is in really rough shape (only about 4 yrs old) and I am waiting for us to remodel our kitchen before I replace it.

I'm glad y'all are posting about the Maytags. I went ahead and read those articles I posted and noticed Maytags are now among the worst to get repair-wise. Eons ago they were among the best (we picked our first one due to their top ratings in Consumer Reports and it lasted years with daily - or more often - use). If they've gone cheap, I certainly won't get another.

From the reports and on here it looks like Kitchen Aid will get our next $$. I wonder where they are made. Does anyone know?

I hate my Asko...it's very energy efficient, but very finicky.

We have an Asko too and it is so temperamental - goes through stages where it doesn't work properly, then works again for awhile, then doesn't. It's a good size because it has more place settings than normal, but it's not super quiet.

It ends up being $588 NO TAX, FREE DELIVERY. Anyone have any complaints about it before I go ahead with the purchase? :-)

I'm a little envious, but otherwise, no. Let us know if it doesn't live up to expectations as sooner or later (probably sooner) my Frigidaire will die. I won't get a new one until absolutely necessary due to finances.