Menu

Need suggestions on coat buying from cold weather folks

I freeze every winter and we're in a new state now that sometimes gets snow, but often doesn't.

It was so cold here last winter and the Costco jacket I've had for years just didn't cut it. Plus it looks dated.

My tendency is to go to JC Penney's or something, but dh keeps saying that I'll end w/ something pretty but not something that will keep me warm enough.

I still take my boys to the park and that's the place I really need to stay warm.

Any company suggestions are very appreciated.

Alley

Ditto, Lands End or LL Bean.

I've gotten some really good deals from Lands End but I bet they won't come around until Dec/Jan. I've also gotten some coats from Lands End that didn't fit very well (that I kept anyway because they were so cheap). A bit small in the shoulders. I hope they've changed their fit.

I buy all coats from Lands End or LL Bean, and I purchase the highest warmth rating.

:iagree: LL Bean is by far my first choice, with Lands End second. You can return at any time for any reason at LL Bean. I don't often have to take them up on it, but I'm glad I can.

You also need a coat that is big enough to let you add layers and it helps if you buy good under layers. Our entire family has different versions of Under Armour and it REALLY does make a difference.

Mine is a hooded Nike version that has long arms, with a hole for my thumb, so that the shirt comes down and covers most of my hand. It's thin enough to layer under a regular shirt, but it is incredibly warm.

Dh has strong feelings about good winter coats. He actually checked books out of the library and researched it one year. :001_wub:

Dh says to get a coat with a hood so that you cannot ever leave home without head coverage. He also says to get a longer coat--short jackets often rise above the pant line. It doesn't have to be a knee-length coat, just something that falls down below the waist. The coat should also seal all the way up to the neck--no open V necklines that have to be filled in with a scarf. It should be windproof (I concur with this recommendation, by the way--I think this is the single biggest factor in warmth). Waterproof can also be a nice feature. The warmest coats have a layered system--inner zippered warm liner with outer windproof shell is ideal.

We have gotten our warmest, best jackets at camping stores like REI. We have also in the past ordered from Land's End and Eddie Bauer.

Edited to add: Dh thought of another one. Another nice feature is a coat that is tighter at the waist. The best ones have an adjustable cord. It traps your body heat nicely and also allows less draft from outside.

Edited by strider
Further recommendations

I got a fleeced lined wool hoodie at a place called woolies in Anchorage, AK. It was good down to about 15 Deg F if there was no wind or humidity. If you are anywhere where it is wet and windy I would get one of those and a foul weather jacket for sailing. They can be found at places like West Marine.

If you really want warmth, make sure you check what the filling us made of. Polyester won't keep you warm! Gortex or down will. We moved to Maine 1 1/2 years ago and went straight to Portland to the LL Bean outlet. I bought a coat that is 80% down filling and I'm never cold anymore (at least on top!).

Another thing to try is to get a vest. MIL got me a down vest for Christmas right before we moved here and I wore it under my old Wal-Mart coat (we had lived in San Diego & Hawaii for the last 8 years so I bought a cheapy to take on vacation to the mainlaind one year). The vest kept me plenty warm under my cheap, polyester-filled coat with a good pair of gloves.

So, check the filling!:D

We like Lands End. I agree also with LL Bean.

Camping catalogs are another good place to browse.

I also find a wool sweater underneath works wonders. It doesn't have to be super-thick, just wool.

As a pp stated, they make all kinds of underlayers, which also help.

A wool hat makes a huge difference, as does a good pair of gloves.

Leggings and a long wool, corduroy, or denim skirt can be warmer than pants - two layers rather than one.

Good socks make good presents, and help also. I like polar fleece, others like Smartwool.

I like the pp's dh's suggestions - very wise.

I'd order catalogs from Lands End, LL Bean, Campmor, REI (do they have a catalog?), and perhaps Orvis.

Lands End's temperature ratings are a wonderful tool to get the coat you need.

Good equipment, well-kept, will last 10 years or more. Choose a classic (not trendy) style.

Land's End has warm coats. They also have some selections at Sears, if you have one near you. We had the second worst winter in the country last year which was absolutely amazing since we normally have fairly mild winters and my coat from Land;s End kept me completely warm.

Yes to this!!! Lands End even has levels of warmth, i.e. "warm up to -60!" I have a ankle length white down coat from Land's End. I look the Michelin Man, but I am oh-so-toasty! You can get them at Sears, too if you're not close to an outlet.

Columbia coats are another great cold weather choice. Most have a fleece zip out inner coat that can be worn separately as well as the top shell. It's like three coats in one. Windbreaker, fleece jacket, and super warm winter coat. They also come in temp ratings.

LL Bean, Lands End are the others we wear. We moved to a cold winter place, and I'm shocked at the normalcy of owning more than one winter coat. :001_huh:

Don't forget the other layering essentials to staying warm. Pointelle silk, scarves, gloves, hats, warm socks and slippers. The LL Bean slippers and silk long-johns are my favorites.