Menu

Inspired by another thread ;)

Are there laws that you choose not to obey? Why?

Dh and I were talking about this the other night. Because we are "good" people, I feel that the laws we choose to disobey are okay; I think they are ridiculous laws:lol: Why is that okay with me when I expect others to obey laws I consider more important?

Guest janainaz

I do feed the ducks where it says not to (although I try to stay away from the sign so that my kids don't see....:D).

Other than that, I can't really think of any laws I disregard.

Of course!

In Florida (at least many years ago!), there was a law on the books that showering naked was illegal. I broke that one daily! And, in Coral Gables, more than 4 women living in one house was considered a house of prostitution -- I wore my Scarlett Letter proudly :lol:.

In Alabama, if you put salt on the railroad, you can be punished by death. When I found out about it, a few friends and I purposely took a variety of spices (none of them illegal), and SALT, very illegal and deadly :D, to put on the tracks.

Seriously, though, yes. I do speed on highways with ridiculously low limits and if I'm pulled over for doing 50 -- I"ll happily take my ticket!

I have shared Rx meds with friends who have no insurance (mainly Imitrex for migraines).

And, I have never smoked marijuana, but would likely do so in Amsterdam :tongue_smilie:. And, if it were legalized, I would try it -- I'm not a smoker so I'm sure I wouldn't care for it ( I know I can't stand the smell), but I just want to see what the big deal is all about. I don't believe I'd ever enjoy it as much as a nice snifter of Patron. :D

Of course!

I have shared Rx meds with friends who have no insurance (mainly Imitrex for migraines).

See, this is the kind of thing I am talking about. I would be okay with that, too.

I think it is ridiculous to have to pay taxes on recycling or the money I may make on a garage sale. But it's tax evasion, no? But I wouldn't report it.

I am trying to work out why that is okay.:D

See, this is the kind of thing I am talking about. I would be okay with that, too.

I think it is ridiculous to have to pay taxes on recycling or the money I may make on a garage sale. But it's tax evasion, no? But I wouldn't report it.

Ahh, you live in CA. Do you take your batteries to hazardous waste? LOL. :lol: Okay, I do that one.

Huh, I don't pay taxes on garage sales either but I didn't figure we made enough money to HAVE to. And then there is that dumb law about paying CA taxes on every single internet purchase...

Edited by Daisy

I've eaten clam chowder with tomatoes and apparently, that is against the law in Mass.

Some more dumb Massachusetts laws:

"It is illegal to go to bed without first having a full bath."

"At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches."

"Defacing a milk carton is punishable by a $10 fine"

"It is illegal to frighten a pigeon."

"An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public"

"Quakers and witches are banned"

Some of those law makers were control freaks in my opinion.

There are more dumb ones that are city specific, but yeah...

My husband (who is very upstanding, I might add) was telling me the other day, in reference to a discussion about whether/why it's illegal to distill your own whiskey, that "laws are for people who can't manage their own lives well." :D

Apparently, it is legal to own a still but not to distill whiskey. Apparently, stills can be used for other things.

Tara

In Detroit Michigan the following are laws and I ignore them when there.

Willfully destroying your old radio is prohibited.

It is illegal for a man to scowl at his wife on Sunday.

Apparently in KY it is illegal to walk around with an ice cream in your back pocket. :001_huh: Where do they come up with these crazy laws?

It is illegal in Salem WV to leave home without knowing where you are going.

In California you can own one bear gallbladder but no more.

It's against the law to put coins in your ears in Hawaii.

It is illegal for politicians to give away free booze on election day in Kentucky.

It is illegal to catch a lobster with your bare hands in Maine.

It's illegal to let your horse ride in the back seat of your car in Hillsboro OR.

Funeral directors can be arrested for swearing in front of a dead body in Neveda.

It's against the law to marry your mother-in-law in Washington DC.

You can't draw funny faces on window shades in Garfield county Montana.

In a business office it's against the law for a women to take a bath in Carmel CA.

In Las Vegas, pawning your dentures is illegal.

You need a permit to legally wear high heeled shoes in Carmel CA.

In Minnesota, it's illegal to sleep naked.

It's illegal to throw knives at men wearing striped suits in Natoma KS.

A man must remove his hat if he comes face to face with a cow in Fruithill KY.

It's against the law for a man in Detroit to scowl at his wife on Sunday.

In Tulsa OK, it's illegal to sleep with your boots on.

Funeral Directors in Shreveport LA are prohibitied from giving away matchbooks.

In Lubbock TX, it's illegal to sleep in a garbage can.

If you're older then 88, it's illegal to ride a motorcycle in Idaho Falls ID.

In Michigan it is illegal to tie a crocodile to a fire hydrant.

It is illegal to dry men's and women's underwear on the same clothesline in Minnesota.

In Vermont, it's against the law to whistle underwater.

It's illegal to fall alsleep in a cheese factory in South Dakota.

You have to be a licensed electrician to change a light bulb in Victoria Australia.

Advertising on tombstones is illegal in Roanoke VA.

Playing dominoes is illegal on Sunday in Alabama.

It's against the law to say "Oh Boy" in Jonesboro GA.

Children that have unusual haircuts can be arrested in Mesquite TX.

It's a $500 fine to explode an atomic bomb in Chico CA.

Eating snakes is illegal in Kansas.

It's against the law to fish for trout from the back of a giraffe in Idaho.

It's unlawful for elephants to drink beer in Natchez MS.

By law, donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs in Arizona.

It's illegal for dogs and cats to fight in Barber NC.

It's against the law to drive a car while sleeping in Tennessee.

It's legal for a cop to bite a dog in Paulding OH.

It is illegal for barbers to eat onions between 7am and 7 pm in Waterloo NE.

In Chicago, it's against the law for exceedingly ugly people to appear in public.

You cannot move your bed in Huntsville AL without a permit.

It's illegal to walk your elephant without a leash in Wisconsin.

In Wisconsin, it's against the law to feed prisoners margerine instead of butter.

It's illegal to wiggle while you dance in Stockton CA.

In Clawson City MI, it's illegal to sleep with chickens.

It is illegal for a patient to pull a dentists tooth in Yukon OK.

It's illegal to cross the street on your hands in Hartford CT.

The law in Omaha NE prohibits barbers from shaving the chests of customers.

It's illegal to put a skunk in your bosses desk in Michigan.

It's illegal to drive while blindfolded in Birmingham AL.

It's illegal to hunt whales from your car in California.

Butchers cannot serve on a murder jury trial in South Carolina.

A women may not strip in front of a picture of a man in Oxford OH.

It's illegal for more then 8 rabbits to live on the same block in Tuscumbia AL.

It's against the law to use dirty underwear as a dust rag in California.

It's against the law to shoot or hunt a camel in Arizona.

It's illegal to shake a feather duster in someone's face in Portland OR.

It's illegal to cook more then 100 donuts a day in Oak Park IL.

It's illegal to drink beer from a bucket while sitting on a curb in St Louis.

It's against the law to make faces at school children while they are studying in Atlanta GA.

It's illegal to lasso a fish in Knoxville TN.

Law forbids cows and horses from sleeping in a bakery in Cotton Valley LA.

In South Bend IN., it's against the law to make a monkey smoke a cigarette.

Unless you're in church, tightrope walking is illegal in Winchester MA.

In Minnesota, the maximum penalty for double parking is working on a chain gang with nothing to eat but bread and water.

You can't whistle in a bar in Hawaii.

A law prohibits teaching pets to smoke cigars in Zion IL.

It's against the law to bathe 2 babies in the same tub in Los Angeles.

In California it's illegal to peel an orange in your hotel room.

Woman cannot be on a highway in a bathing suit unless they are carrying a club in Kentucky.

Any fire company responding to a fire in Marblehead MA must be provided a 3-gallon jug of rum.

It's illegal to surf nude or with a sock over a mans manhood in Margate City NJ.

In Ohio it's illegal to fish for whales in lakes, streams, or rivers.

Couldn't they just say pologamy is illegal? If you're marrying your mother-in-law, that means you're still married. Just sayin'.

Maybe after you're widowed it's still not allowed? :001_huh:

As far as contemporary laws and the OP, I regularly drive faster than what the sign says, and I expect everyone else to do the same - it's part of Michigan culture. I guess if I disregard it, I couldn't be upset if others did too.

And, I have never smoked marijuana, but would likely do so in Amsterdam :tongue_smilie:. And, if it were legalized, I would try it -- I'm not a smoker so I'm sure I wouldn't care for it ( I know I can't stand the smell), but I just want to see what the big deal is all about. I don't believe I'd ever enjoy it as much as a nice snifter of Patron. :D

One word for ya: vaporizer. ;)

I jay walk. I think crossing in the middle of the block, with a good look both directions, is safer than the corner where people are turning. A very busy street I do go to the corner.

I saw a man, struck by a speeding, turning car, die before my eyes. But I jaywalked since I was a kid. My father taught me.

In Virginia, it is illegal to drive while barefoot. I break that one pretty often.

I would too. I learned how to drive a stickshift barefoot, the better to feel the RPM vibration. I'm still most comfortable driving in bare feet. I think it's safer than driving in flip-flops or heels anyway.

Barb

I jaywalk. People in this town whip around corners without even slowing down for the red lights, unless there's a cop car sitting RIGHT THERE. I've been struck by them twice now (once while on the CURB) and I refuse to cross at certain corners.

I drive barefoot.

I jay walk. I think crossing in the middle of the block, with a good look both directions, is safer than the corner where people are turning. A very busy street I do go to the corner.

I saw a man, struck by a speeding, turning car, die before my eyes. But I jaywalked since I was a kid. My father taught me.

:iagree:

Me too. At a corner it's really hard to tell just who might run you over.

I've also given a sip or two of my "adult" beverage to a minor. So did my mom. :001_smile:

Your cost basis is what you paid for it. Depreciate it down to fair market value. FMV less what you got for it = <0. Ergo, no taxes due.

Example, you sold an old Tupperware flour cannister, with lid, at a garage sale for $3. You used it for 8 years first. It's useful life is 10 years, you decide, and you paid $20 for it. Each year of life is worth $2. Therefore, it has $4 worth of life left. $4 value - $3 sale = $1 loss. No profit made, so you don't have to declare the $3 on your taxes.

Or you can keep it simple. You have $20 invested, and you sold it for $3. There is no profit made in this transaction.

Why is this valid? You already paid income taxes on the money you used to buy the cannister. If you now pay it on the sale (assuming you don't make a profit), you would be taxed twice: once when you purchased it, and once when you sold it at a loss, therby recouping part of the $20 you spent that you had already paid taxes on.

Now, if the IRS comes snooping around, well, they won't. How will they know that you didn't just throw the cannister away or give it to someone? How do they know you had the cannister in the first place?

It seems perfectly legal to me.

Edited by RoughCollie