Menu

Dumb question, but what do I have to lose?

How do you start posting on this or any message board? I've lurked here off and on for a while now, but can't seem to bring myself to post. I figured I can't be the only person who feels this way(I hope!:)). Any one have any great tips? I've learned so much from so many of you and it feels weird just watching it all happen. Thanks for any advice you might have!

Michelle

DD 10

DS 4

I started by posting small posts to things. At first it was things that I could honestly participate in and yet didn't require deep complicated answers. Like requests for prayer - it was easy for me to post that I would pray (but only do that if you pray!) Or questions for information that I knew the answer to - maybe a recipe or the name of a book. Only when I felt more confident did I venture into the murky waters of the "What would you do?" questions!

How do you start posting on this or any message board?

You just did it! Now think of something else to ask or something cool that happened you'd like to share or whatever! Soon you'll find yourself reading or seeing something and think. "Oh! I bet the hive mind would like this!" or "I wonder what the hive would think about this?" and you'll start posting. :)

Yes, I agree that you've just done it. You've gotten a lot of good answers already. Just jump in. If you have an opinion, offer it. If you know the answer to a question, share it. If you see something in the news or read an article of note, tell us about it. When I read something that I find to be thought provoking I often wonder what others would think of it, so I'll bring it to the group. Just jump in, give your two (or three or four) cents worth and the next thing you know it'll be old hat.

Welcome! signs046.gif

Personally, I find it easiest to post about curriculum. What have you used, liked, hated, why. It's what we all have in common and it's fairly easy to post about what you're doing day in and day out. Once you gain more confidence, it's easier to start posting in more general discussions without feeling shy about it.

Guest Amy in MS

Hi!

You could also post a quick "Introducing myself" post.

Welcome to the Board.

Amy

(who hasn't posted an Introducing Myself post, but may do so, if she ever spends more time here)

Yes you just did it!

I'm one of those whose first post to a board will be to ask for help for some big problem (help! I think my son is gifted and my dh wants to send him to ps and I want to hs him! What do I do? Oh, and I'd like another child, but can't get pregnant --do you think my child's life is doomed as an only? :001_rolleyes:)

That's me. :)

Welcome!

See, you're off to a great start!

I find that some days, I'm very chatty and willing to offer an opinion on just about anything. Other days, I just lurk and learn from people. Honestly, I'm such a new homeschooler that I don't offer advice about school - I just ask a lot of questions. That's a good way to start. If you have a question, just post it. Someone here will have your answer. It's amazing!

I love this little smiley guy and just have to post him for no real reason::willy_nilly:

I haven't been on these new boards as much as the old ones... I usually come here when I have a question or something, to glean from all the wonderful wisdom and opinions. :)

I posted some things for sale a couple weeks ago, but when I went to edit those posts, I learned that I now need to have at least 50 posts to list something (or edit my items) for sale. Ok whatever... I guess they changed the rules between my posts and now...

So now I've been here posting/replying more often, but my house and kids are feeling left out b/c of it. :(

I usually post an introduction, about me and the kids and dh, our crazy schedule, how long we've been homeschooling, where we are, that sort of thing. Then, as someone else mentioned, I post about curriculum. LOL I find threads that ask what everyone is using for this subject or that subject, and tell what we're using and why we switched if we'd been using something else previously. I usually have something I'm LOOKING for as far as curriculum, such as a writing curriculum, so after a few posts I usually post my own "what do you use?" thread for whatever that is. :)

Anyway. Welcome to the board! I've only been here a few weeks myself, and really like the business of the board even if it's a little intimidating. (Even for me, and I'm all over the net and in all sorts of online communities! LOL) Glad to meet you - tell us a little more about you and your family! :)

Hey even if someone else feels exactly the way you do, that's actually good for the person asking a question. It lets them know that not just one person feels this way. Like about curriculum, then they start to realize this is a great program or not so great because several people answered, not just one or two.

I'm one of those who like to start out observing and getting a feel for a forum or group and then I probably always start out asking advice about something, usually curriculum! There are so many different kinds of people from different backgrounds and walks of life on this board that there is always someone with more experience or a different perspective than I. I love it! I also sell my books on the sale and swap board which has given me a chance to interact with others on the board!

Relax and just do it! And, welcome!

I think everyone is a little different. I just jumped in with both feet when I started here (long, long ago). But, whatever your personality is, let it show here and after a while people will start to get to know you.

Welcome to the hive, by the way!