Menu

I'm blowing K!!!! Help me please!

simka2

I realize I am not doing well with ds's K education. I spend so much time with the 3 older ones...that it has become really hit or miss with him.

I could really use some simple, manageble ideas on what to complete with him every day. Basicly the phonics and numbers aspect...okay handwriting too. He gets history and science with the other kids...and a lot of read alouds.

I've got all the HOP programs, bob books, and a few other various curriculums. I just need a easy plan for staying on task with him.

Does that make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. Personally, I don't think you're 'blowing it'. It's amazing what the littles pick up from just listening in on the olders. Right now, I wouldn't worry TOO much about handwriting. He's still developing motor skills. If you're reading TO him, going over letter sounds and numbers WITH him, you're doing great!

You don't need alot of curricula to teach K. It's more about the basics right now. Concentrate on that. HTH!

You may or may not do computer games, but one of the things I have my k'er do is play educational computer games during one of the times I work with her sister. We are currently using starfall, but I've got ETC online supposed to be activated by Saturday. This does NOT replace our OPGTR, but it does replace the workbook I was supplementing with.

I also take advantage of lunch to do some of the fun things we never get to. Slicing apples and finding fractions, etc...

I also involve her in older sisters hands-on math and just help her as needed. She plays go-to-the-dump with us, but uses the abacus. She will play store when older sister studies money next week, but I'll help her count her money, etc....

You will not blow K! I felt like this with my fourth. She was a surprise and I was doing high school when she was in K. She picked up reading much quicker than my olders. I think she spent so much time listening to me teach the older she just got it.

Relax. Start the day with 10-15 minutes with your K, and be sure to do a read aloud at his level daily.

Linda

While the older 2 are doing math, ds5 does about 15 minutes in a math workbook with me. While the older 2 are doing LA, ds5 does 1 pagein HWOT. While the older 2 do 20 minutes assigned reading in their rooms, ds5 does Hooked on Phonics with me. Other than that he is free to do what he wishes, though he often chooses to hang with us. I have baskets of activities so I can always grab something fun but educational for those times...a Kumon book, playdoh, craft projects...

At public school they really don't get much academics in half day kindergarten. Just think about how much time it takes them to get their coats off and use the potty! Brownie

I don't think you're blowing it! :grouphug: With 3 older children as well I had to resign myself to the fact my 4th child's K year is not going to look like the K year of first borns or people with only children. It's just not.

You are doing most what I am doing. I do spend about 45 min. one on one with my k'er each day. He reads a book to me (he's a reader), we do a short phonics lesson (about 5 min!), I read a book to him, we do math and he does a copywork sheet on his own. He also works with us in Bible, History and Science. I try to let him do more tactile things on the weekends or later in the day.

Maybe just shoot for 1/2 hour day with your k'er. It's amazing what you can get in. I keep the lessons really short and sweet. I have a young boy k'er so it works well for us to have short lessons...

Thanks all! Just a minor panic attack:tongue_smilie:. It's done now. I didn't anticipate how much hands on 2 third graders and a 4th grader were going to be...their questions are getting harder, and more time consumeing.

On the other hand I do see how much my little guy is picking up from the others. We do the leap frog videos, starfall and a couple others as well...

Anyway, I appreciate the encouragement!

Thanks all! Just a minor panic attack:tongue_smilie:. It's done now. I didn't anticipate how much hands on 2 third graders and a 4th grader were going to be...their questions are getting harder, and more time consumeing.

On the other hand I do see how much my little guy is picking up from the others. We do the leap frog videos, starfall and a couple others as well...

Anyway, I appreciate the encouragement!

My ds6 used to always be the first one up. I would work with him before the older boys woke up.

I haven't read the other replies - but for my "baby," here's what we did.

After making sure the olders had independent work - I would focus on the K-er. I made sure we did reading every day, that he did some handwriting. I tried to do a math activity as well - we only did the lessons for Saxon 1, no worksheets - and we didn't finish (but he was prepared to start Saxon 2 in first grade no problem). Once he was reading on his own we started Spelling Workout. That's all he got from me - and that's all he needed - he did just fine in first grade!

I don't think it's possible to blow K, and a K'er really doesn't need to do handwriting, either. There's time enough for that in 1st IMHO! Some nature walks, some gentle crafts, read alouds, music/movement, plenty of time to imagine and play, and sitting in on whatever he's interested that the older kids do (you mentioned science and history) sounds like a great K year.

No way could you blow it. Cut yourself some slack, for sure. It's K! Think how much he is benefitting just getting to listen to the olders' lessons! Stuff he would never be exposed to in public school. So, he's already ahead of the game.

I write myself a weekly checklist to make sure we've gotten to everything I want to be able to do in a week. That way I don't feel like I'm letting things slip through the cracks. It could be as simple as checkboxes next to general things like: fine motor; writing practice; independent reading; count to 100. For me, it's a visual reminder to keep me on task and reassure me that we're gettin' some learnin' done. :)

Guest janainaz

I have a 5th grader and one in K. My 5th grader has some things he does on his own and I always take that opportunity to work with my ds5. It is hard when you have one interrupting to ask a question while you're helping the other. I just get ds5's stuff out and keep it close by and fill in the gaps while my older one is working.

Math:

Time - We learn time using the clock and also do worksheets.

Money - I have a jar of money and we count money every day and he does a worksheet (just a few problems).

Math facts - I use flash cards for addition and subtraction and then give him a worksheet with about 10 problems to complete.

Counting: We practice counting by 2's, 5's, and 10's, counting to 100, etc.

Shapes/Patterns: Worksheets, manipulatives, etc. We just "play"

Writing: HWOT - one page

Reading: TOPGTR - we do two review and one new every day

Calendar: He writes the date and is learning about the calendar. He recites the months daily. We talk about birthdays and holidays, etc.

Geography: I have several puzzles of the continents. We do a puzzle a few days a week and ds also recites the continents. We find locations on the globe, talk about the main oceans, etc.

Science: We read books from the library on anything and everthing.

We also play a lot games that involve counting dice, counting money, and just learning in general.

I try and cover most of those areas every day.

Can you use your older kids as teacher's aides? You could give them each a subject and not have to do any of it. :D Or have one of them work with him/her for 15 min. a day. Even if that's all he/she gets that day, at least it's something.

My 4th grader could definitely teach her younger sister math and penmanship and could listen to her read. Right now she works with her 10 min. a day and I do the rest...mostly because she has a hard time getting her own work done. :)

I know it wouldn't work in every family, but it might be worth a try.

Some ideas:

• Begin with your K'er. Before you start school work with the older kids, have a reading/phonics lesson with just him. Start the older kids on some independent work, and tell them that they are not to interrupt their brother's reading lesson. ;)
  • Have your 4th grader read to your K'er. My oldest daughter reads to one of her little twin sisters while I give a reading lesson to the other twin. She loves to read, and is very expressive :D, so it works out great for everyone.
  • Visit your library and find some audiobooks (CDs or tapes) that come with books. While you are doing school work with your olders, have your K'er listen and follow along with the story on CD. My youngers LOVE doing this. They have become so professional about turn-page signals. :lol:
  • Use music to teach him. Wee Sing, Cedarmont, and many others have great resources on CDs that teach children through singing and listening. Check out Sara Jordan's site, there is much here. Your library may have (or be able to order) some audio-learning tools.
  • Fit in what you teach him in those random moments. I know this sounds so unstructured, but really -- that's okay. He's in Kindergarten. You can't ruin him, unless you just neglect him all day. Hugs matter, too, so pull him towards you and snuggle him in the middle of someone else's lessons.
  • Use evenings and weekends and the older kid's breaks. Yeah, I know, you want a break, too. But sometimes reading aloud to just that ONE child, all snuggled up on your bed... it's a special bonding, KWIM? You and him and Curious George....
  • Let your older children teach him and/or read to him from some non-fiction books on little-kid subjects. Let them show him what their favorite stories were, when they were "little." My oldest loves to revisit the nursery rhymes (Hey, Diddle, Diddle), Mother Goose tales (Gingerbread Boy), and fairy tales (Cinderella) that she heard again and again. She is able to read these with gusto, so we let her.
  • Ask other people to teach him something. Could you ask his father or a grandparent to have a conversation with him? Talking with adults is a great teaching tool for this age. Don't forget that he is learning so much through his ears. Teach him how to call someone on the phone, and when you are working with your olders, tell your K'er, "Go call Grandma, and ask her _______________." That will keep him busy for a while, if you arrange it with Grandma.

HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama