Menu

Has anyone had an Endometrial Ablation?

Would you mind sharing your experience with it?

I have iron deficiency anemia. Currently, I am getting IV Iron infusions, which do not agree with me. First one made me very sick, and the second made my BP plummet and I passed out. I never even knew I was anemic as I never had any symptoms.

My periods are not heavy, but I do spot for about 5 days before I get it and they come every 21-26 days, lasting about 6 days. I am 42 and done with having children.

My hematologist mentioned endo ablation. Will help my anemia. I have never had any female problems, and this is just a suggestion he had. I have an appt with my GYN in October and going to mention it to him. Actually, I was quite shocked when the Heme Dr. mentioned endo ablation.

Does it hurt? What about when they inject you with novacaine "down there", does that hurt? Is it a dangerous procedure?

And since it either slows bleeding or eliminates it, how do you know when menopause happens?

How long does it take? And do you HAVE to be put out?

Thank you for sharing.

I have another question about this, if someone can answer. I do have heavy periods and now have been put on anticoagulants. I think that endometrial ablation does not involve cutting but does it involve anything that will cause bleeding? I am strongly going to see about getting this done if I can get it done safely since I am so afraid of adding any more to my bleeding.

I had it done about five years ago. I was completely knocked out for the procedure. I don't think it can be done any other way. Different doctors use different methods. I don't think think any involve cutting anything down there. My doctor used an electric current to cauterize everything. The day I had it done, we took the youth to an event. There was really no "recovery time". No cramping or anything. I have not had any problems since then. No periods, either. :D Hope things are that wonderful for any of you who have it.

I had my edometrial ablation when I was 24-young yes, needed definatly. I am now 30yrs and my endometriosis is coming back with a vengence-something that is possible after an ablation.

Mine was done under general anesthesia and it took approximatly 2 hrs for the GYN to do everything he needed to. I also had a D&C, lysis of adhesions and tubal ligation at the same time. I could NOT imagine doing this procedure any other way but under general anesthesia. The ablation itself was done with a hot-water ballon of sorts to "scar" the lining of the uterus so the endometrium couldn't or hopefully wouldn't grow back.

I did bleed for about 3 days-VERY normal for this procedure. The first day was heavy but by the end of day 2 it was *very* light.

My pain wasn't too bad, but OMG the gas pains in my shoulder made me want to curl up in a ball and just scream. I took, no kidding, three boxes of gas-x in about a 4 day time span. Some women do not have any trouble with gas pain, others, like myself have extreme pain. If you only have the ablation you will not have the gas pains since those were from the lysis of adhesions they did with scopes.

The GYN nurse made sure I brought a pillow to use on the way home-I understood just how important that was when I climbed into the CRV. I reclined my seat *all* the way back and placed the pillow on my lower abdomen, it was heavenly-until the good pain meds wore off.

I was back to work within the week, but I had a boss that was *wonderful* and knew we needed the $. I worked early childhood education and was not allowed to pick up the children for 2 wks after my procedure.

The first 6 months-NO cycle-at all :D The next 6 months, VERY light. Over the years they have gotten heavier and more painful. The past three months have been the worst ones since the ablation. The GYN did tell my DH once the procedure was over that I would most likely need a hysterectomy by the time I was 30/35-guess who is 30 now. My endometiosis was so severe and he was shocked beyond words that my body was able to carry a child to 36wks. I had a VERY hard time getting pregnant and staying pregnant, J is a very lucky child needless to say.

Would I do it again? No. Would I tell them just to take my uterus-yes.

Edited by Mom2J112903

I did a search, but nothing came up as to what I was looking for. Especially why have I been reading that only a local is used and done in a Dr's office? Maybe it depends on which ablation you have?

I do not do general anesthesia. No thanks. Unless this can be done awake, I will stick with having my periods, and take the IV infusions. Or onless it is a life or death thing. I do NOT like being put out.:confused:

I did a search, but nothing came up as to what I was looking for. Especially why have I been reading that only a local is used and done in a Dr's office? Maybe it depends on which ablation you have?

I do not do general anesthesia. No thanks. Unless this can be done awake, I will stick with having my periods, and take the IV infusions. Or onless it is a life or death thing. I do NOT like being put out.:confused:

Is there a medical reason you do not like or can not be put under general anesthesia?

I have never heard of anyone having this procedure done with only local, no matter what the method. There is just no way a person's body could take the intense pain. The GYN is literally burning away your endometrium, would you really want to be awake for that?

I have never heard of it being done without full sedation as it will be horribly painful. The worst pain I have felt in my life was in the time I woke up from the procedure to the time it took them to find a pain med that would work on me (I don't metabolize meds like most people). It was a terrible cramping, burning pain. I have had 5 surgeries and intense back pain that left me laying on the kitchen floor for hours, unable to move....and I would repeat a day of any of those before I would the day of my ablation. Once my pain meds kicked in, I was fine, but I can't imagine the doctor trying to handle my pain levels during the procedure while performing the ablation.

That being said, it was the best thing I have ever done and would do it again in a heartbeat (with the right meds :) on board.

I would call your doctor and ask if it is even possible to be done.

Had endometrial ablation done 2 years ago due to anemia. Best decision ever. The doctor did a D&C first, too--I was told this was routine. This was all under general anesthesia. Recovery was very slight--just a little nausea from the anesthesia. Short procedure with very low risk.

Really, this was life-changing for me. I now have normal energy levels after dragging on and off for almost ten years. I put off doing the procedure, too, because I didn't want to go under general anesthesia for an elective procedure. However, the anemia was just getting harder to deal with. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

One can only consider this procedure after you are sure you are done having children. It may be impossible or difficult to conceive after this and dangerous to carry out a pregnancy.

As with anything like this, it is important to look at the most up to date information possible. This procedure has been around for awhile, and it has improved even more. Your OB/GYN is your best source here.

I am glad you asked as I have been revisiting this idea myself. I am thinking of going back to work, but for about two days each cycle I would not be able to make it through a work day without spending half of it in the bathroom. I also deal with anemia, not to the degree of needing infusions, but it is persistent and the iron supplements are difficult to tolerate.

This is the question I have - how does it affect your hormones? Will having this procedure bring on menopause more quickly?

And I also have never heard of this being done in a doctor's office, unless the physician actually has an in-house surgical suite (which many providers in our local area seem to have these days...). Even then I cannot imagine only local anesthesia. Hopefully one of our MDs on this board will weigh in.

Not at all. The ablation is *only* for your uterus, they do not even touch your ovaries. This is why *so* many women are opting for this procedure over a hysterectomy.

That is great to hear! That settles it, I will definitely be discussing this with my doc again on the next visit!

From WebMD:

Endometrial ablation may be done in an outpatient facility or your doctor's office. The procedure can take up to about 45 minutes. The procedure may be done using a local or spinal anesthesia. And general anesthesia is sometimes used.

From the Mayo Clinic

Some types of endometrial ablation procedures can be done in your doctor's office, while others must be performed in an operating room. Factors such as the size and condition of your uterus will help determine which endometrial ablation method is most appropriate.

From the Novasure website

Many doctors have their patients stay awake during the procedure, as the NovaSure procedure does not require general anesthesia. If your physician performs the procedure with a local anesthetic injected in and around the cervix, he or she may administer an intravenous sedative to make you more comfortable during the procedure. While some women may feel slight cramping, others may not experience any discomfort at all.

Is there a medical reason you do not like or can not be put under general anesthesia?

I have never heard of anyone having this procedure done with only local, no matter what the method. There is just no way a person's body could take the intense pain. The GYN is literally burning away your endometrium, would you really want to be awake for that?

I just posted above.

Is there a medical reason? No. But if they offer a local, and I do not feel anything, then that is the route I would go. GA carries much more risks then the procedure itself. Local anesthetics carry little to no risk.

Burning away my endometrium while awake? Yep. And I would be cheering all the way:lol:(Granted I do not feel anything but cramping)

This is not something I would HAVE to do. It is an option I am only considering because of my anemia. I figure I have about 5 years or so before I hit menopause. And my periods are not that heavy that it effects my daily life.

But, if it is a simple, outpatient procedure done with a local, I may seriously consider it.

I had an ablation done about a year and a half ago. It was done in the gynecologist's office. Before the procedure I was given a Valium to help me stay relaxed and a shot of Toradol (an anti-inflammatory) in the butt. I believe Novocaine was used as the local anesthetic at my cervix--yeah it hurt! But it's like getting Novocaine at the dentist, big owie, then numb. I had a cryoablation done--my endometrium was frozen off and the freeze also served to cauterize the inside of my uterus. I'm a big baby, so I found the cramps I had over the next week to be painful and I tired easily, even though my doctor said it shouldn't slow me down at all. I had to wear pads for a couple of weeks afterwards as I thawed and as crispy bits of endometrium came out (sorry for the gross visual).

The procedure took probably about an hour from start to finish (including the time between when they gave me the Valium to when they took me back).

The next few months of periods were not heavy, but more crampy than usual. They've dwindled to the point where it's a couple of days of dark spotting.

I do still have PMS symptoms, including wicked insomnia, and cramps and low back pain. But my gynecologist is pretty sure I have adenomyosis (endometriosis of the uterine muscle) and that the only way to eliminate those symptoms is a hysterectomy. It's not worth the trouble to me yet.

I'm 42 and I'm not sure how I'll know once I've started menopause. Will I quit having the PMS symptoms? Will hot flashes be the clue?

If you don't have excess bleeding at your period, I'm really surprised your hematologist would recommend something like this. I assume he/she has checked your folate levels to make sure it's not pernicious anemia.

My folate levels are fine. B12 fine.

He just automatically mentioned ablation because he feels that my periods are the cause of my iron deficiency. As blood loss is the only cause of iron deficiency anemia. And anemia develops slowly over time. I think I have had this now for about 3 years or so. It was only recently that my new Primary Care Dr. had me tested because my WBC count was coming back slightly high for the past three times. And hemoglobin was low.

But many people are not agreeing that I should have had IV iron either. Although my ferritan levels were low(iron storage), at an 8(Should be between 15-125). My iron itself was fine. Hemoglobin was low at 11.5(normal is 12.0-16.0).

My own Dr suggested iron pills. But Heme Dr. balked at it. Said it would take to many iron pills to get me back to where I needed to be. And all it would do is upset my stomach.

I was asymptomatic as well.

Right now, I am taking Vitamin C and two TBSP of Blackstrap Molasses. I hear it is excellent for iron.

I have an appt with GYN in October. Which will be after I get my second round of bloodwork and get my iron levels. I will see what he says. Somehow, I do not think he is going to agree with my Heme Dr.

I have one of the top GYN's in the area and he is very conservative when it comes to things like this. He will not suggest it unless he feels it is some sort of last resort issue.

My periods in no way interfere with my life. Is it a pain to spot for 5 days prior, then have it for 6 days, and come every 25? Yep. But I can go about my business.

Doesn't sound like Ablation is a lot of fun, but if it is a last resort option for me, I will do it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I was given 2 choices...this or hysterectomy. They told me I'd have to be on birth control for 6 months before they can do it, and I haven't met a synthetic hormone that agreed with me yet, so I'm gonna do the hysterectomy. They are leaving in the ovaries so I won't go into menopause.

I was given 2 choices...this or hysterectomy. They told me I'd have to be on birth control for 6 months before they can do it, and I haven't met a synthetic hormone that agreed with me yet, so I'm gonna do the hysterectomy. They are leaving in the ovaries so I won't go into menopause.

Why birth control for 6 months :confused: I wasn't able to take birth control either and this *never* came up in my appointments. I actually didn't have a cycle for almost 6 months and the med used to induce a cycle caused *way* too many side effects for us to pursue artificial induction of a cycle. My cycles were either long lasting, many in a short time, or LONG (think weeks at a time) but months apart. The endometriosis and my hormones just did not play nicely.

Why birth control for 6 months :confused: I wasn't able to take birth control either and this *never* came up in my appointments. I actually didn't have a cycle for almost 6 months and the med used to induce a cycle caused *way* too many side effects for us to pursue artificial induction of a cycle. My cycles were either long lasting, many in a short time, or LONG (think weeks at a time) but months apart. The endometriosis and my hormones just did not play nicely.

Interesting! That's just what my gyn told me! I have polyps and constant spotting/ bleeding. I don't know:001_huh:

Well for me, the main reason I am thinking about this is because there is a strong possibility I may be on life long anti-clotting drugs and having heavy periods was already a problem before I was put on those. I am just dreading what they will be like now. I am not interested in any surgery since that causes blood clots too. I just want the monthlies to stop so I have no fear of hemorrhaging.

I'd never heard of anyone put out for just a regular ablation, so these comments are surprising me.

I suffered from horribly heavy periods, up to three weeks at a time, with unbelievable clotting, was anemic, etc. My gyn first suggested an ablation (the balloon one, which thought creeped me out) but when I finally agreed to consider it, he said there were NO assurances it would stop my bleeding.

We moved a few months later and circumstances dictated that I look into it again. I specifically searched for a local doctor who did the NovaSure procedure (recommended here on the boards!). There are different procedures, and that may be the reason for different experiences.

I took some sort of prescription pill (1x) the night before which did something to open my cervix. My dh and ds took me to the dr. I am trying to remember specifics. It was done in the doctor's regular office, it was not any big deal AT ALL. The actual procedure took about 20 seconds; it's an electrical burning of your uterine lining. There was a brief period of intense pain, but I think that came from a shot he gave me just beforehand. I know he gave me something (somewhere, I just don't remember) and that I had to wait five minutes for it to work before he did the procedure.

I stayed in the office for a short time, 30 mins.?, afterwards.

I can't remember if I had bleeding from the procedure, but I did have a heavy, clear, thin, odorless discharge for about 6 weeks that gradually went away. (It was not as gross as it sounds.)

I remember being a little tired. I went to a jewelry party the next day and was happy to spend most of it sitting on the couch. But there was no pain or tenderness that I remember.

That was three and a half years ago. The doctor said I may just go back to having normal periods. I have not had ANY menstrual bleeding at ALL. I don't know when I'll hit menopause (I'm 47). I guess I'll know from other symptoms.

There was a question if it affected your hormones. Nope, they are not involved.

The "worst" part was that the cost was ~$2600. My usually-good insurance covered just a small portion, and we had to pay $800 out of pocket. But when I consider what I was using in sanitary supplies, it saved me money in the long run anyway.

I found this video from the NovaSure website.

I don't remember my doctor being quite so formal. Was he really in a big surgical gown, mask and cap? (Maybe.)

My ablation gave me my life back.

Well the intense pain part doesn't sound like fun. But I am glad to hear you were able to be awake during the procedure.

I will be discussing this with my GYN as well. It doesn't sound like an avenue I am willing to take right now. Unless my anemia does not correct itself with Iron therapy and it gets worse.

If my periods were interfering with my everyday life, I would do it in a heartbeat. But they don't.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone:D

• 2 weeks later...
From WebMD:

Endometrial ablation may be done in an outpatient facility or your doctor's office. The procedure can take up to about 45 minutes. The procedure may be done using a local or spinal anesthesia. And general anesthesia is sometimes used.

From the Mayo Clinic

Some types of endometrial ablation procedures can be done in your doctor's office, while others must be performed in an operating room. Factors such as the size and condition of your uterus will help determine which endometrial ablation method is most appropriate.

From the Novasure website

Many doctors have their patients stay awake during the procedure, as the NovaSure procedure does not require general anesthesia. If your physician performs the procedure with a local anesthetic injected in and around the cervix, he or she may administer an intravenous sedative to make you more comfortable during the procedure. While some women may feel slight cramping, others may not experience any discomfort at all.

I was just at the doctor's office yesterday discussing options. IUD, ablation, or hysterectomy. He doesn't want me to do the last two just yet because I had a stroke last year and being put under is a bit more risky for me because of that. So he definitely said that I would be put under anesthesia for an ablation. He said they burn you at 87 degrees Celsius. Ouch!

I've known women who have had good results with these procedure, but unfortunately I wasn't one of them. I had an ablation done for very heavy periods and within three weeks it was back full force again. I had a hysterectomy as soon as our schedule could handle it (which wasn't soon enough for me!).

So he definitely said that I would be put under anesthesia for an ablation. He said they burn you at 87 degrees Celsius. Ouch!

Remember that this is just one type of ablation procedure. IF you are interested in another ablation procedure, you may need to find a local doctor who does it differently.

The type of procedure I had required only a local anesthesia, and used an electromagnetic impulse.