Menu

How good is "Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading" and "Bridge to Latin Road"?

fruitful vine

This coming year I would like to try "The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading" -Level one for my K and 1st graders.

As well as, the "The Bridge to the Latin Road" for my 4th and 5th graders.

Both are written by B.Beers.

I heard they are good.

I'm excited that the "Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading" teaches some Latin along with English, Spelling, Phonics, and Reading all in one!!

Anyone have any info. on those curriculums?

• 2 weeks later...

We've had great success with one and two.

Con's

It's not for the faint of heart, I would call it fairly rigorous. It also takes some getting accustomed to the logic of how it is laid out. It's very easy to follow if you watch the Dvd a couple times a week. You do need to watch the Dvds.

Pro

Your child will read very quickly and have the ability to sound out and spell words. If you're familiar with the "Orton Method" or "Spalding Method" this is a well laid out version of those. Handwriting skills are incorporated with the program and the foundation for good writing is also incorporated in the program.

I highly recommend these programs if you're willing to put the time and effort required.

We also used level three which wasn't as much fun. I think the main reason is that after you have discovered reading and writing it's hard to get that kind of thrill in early education. I guess it's similar to the first time your child plays a fairly complex musical piece.

I'm looking for advice on level 4. I hoping Susan Wise Bauer would review four and give her opinion. Good Luck!

Could you comment on the differences/strengths/weaknesses of The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading compared to Spell to Write and Read (SWR).

One of my questions in regard to The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading is "What do you do for Spelling once level 4 of The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading is completed?" I too have 4th and 5th graders that are ready for the Latin Bridge and I am trying to decide on a Spelling Program for them as well as my two younger children ages 5 and 7 (both of whom need a strong Phonics program next year).

I would love to hear any thoughts

THANKS!

Renee

Didn't use the SWR program but I can tell you about the Phonics Road in more depth. The heart and soul of the program in my opinion is learning the letter and letter team sounds. It takes you through the rules of letter formation and also learning rule tunes. Which stay with you for a long time! It builds skills gradually but after a a2 or so weeks you start using the beginning readers. I would take a look at her web-site and look at the sequencing and scope sections.

http://www.thephonicsroad.com/

I can tell you the folks that I've spoken with that have used this program have had great results! It takes a bit of discipline but it really pays off. My daughter started reading chapter books pretty quickly and so have others that have used it.

The writing aspects are good also. I would say they follow the outline that I've heard SWB use in presentations to homeschoolers. Start with dictation and go from there.

I'm still researching level four. I want to make sure the sentence diagramming is standard.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

One thing that has concerned me about both programs (SWR and PR) is that it seems that the reading progress will be tied to your writing ability. Is there any way to get around that link? I know plenty of kids who are slow to learn to write well but can read much sooner. I'd hate to link those two like that.

There are levels beyond 4 in the "Phonics Road". I haven't mapped our road in spelling much beyond next year. I'm really not sure how much I will do after that in a formal program. My daughter does a lot of music (2 instruments, chorus) and I may be inclined to let spelling go and concentrate more on grammar, writing and literature in the language arts area. It might be time to start making some pruning choices!

If you have a chance it might help to email Barbara Beers directly. She's very honest with her answers. I've heard her tell people at homeschool conventions that her program probably wouldn't work for them. My experience is limited to one daughter and has been extremely positive!

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

We really enjoyed Latin Bridge. We will be finishing it this summer. My DD10 really took to it and I'm sure we could have finished during the year but with my older DD's in a charter high school this year, we were in the car and library too much and got a little off track.

I usually previewed and got the work ready before each week and then had my DD watch the instruction DVD's with me again as we went through the lessons.

I love it and can't wait to get The Latin Road.

I don't know how good they are, because I didn't buy them. At a HS convention last year I sat in on the author's presentation of the materials - which was very boring and overly complicated, IMO. Not her presentation, although it was rather dry, but the materials seemed too structured (a little carried away with the building metaphor), and BORING. The price didn't help my opinion of it either.

I don't know how good they are, because I didn't buy them. At a HS convention last year I sat in on the author's presentation of the materials - which was very boring and overly complicated, IMO. Not her presentation, although it was rather dry, but the materials seemed too structured (a little carried away with the building metaphor), and BORING. The price didn't help my opinion of it either.

It's not for everyone. Considering it's a total language arts package it's actually pretty inexpensive. We don't do all of the building code stuff, my daughter thinks that part is a little silly. That doesn't impair you from using and benefiting from the entire program.

It is fairly structured. I wouldn't call it boring but to each his own!

Regards,

I like Bridge to the Latin Road for a few reasons: I love diagramming, it

includes a lot of dictation so I can get that in in several places, and I love the DVDs that go with it. And just like LisaCA said, if I preview the DVD portion the week before and then go through it with ds, it works really well. I can't just wing it...I have to stay a bit ahead or I'll just be lost and will lose my son. We've been using Lively Latin as our Latin but I have liked The Bridge to..so much that I am thinking I will start The Latin Road next year and not go on with LL 2.

• 3 years later...

Hello! :)

I found this thread via google, as I'm looking for something to link from All About Spelling into a reliable Grammar course. From what I've read, I'm really happy to learn that it leads to a thorough course in Latin.

Are there any long-term users of the "Latin Road" products who could share their experiences?

How well do you think this would work after finishing "All About Spelling"?

Thank you in advance!

Catherine

We used the PR 1 this year. It has its pros and cons, as others have said. The problem I had with it is the videos are LONG and boring (for mom). I don't need to be shown how to write every single word on the board. really.

The rule tunes are extremely helpful and have even helped my (eavesdropping) 10yo DS with his spelling. But if I want to know when she's going to throw in a building code or sentences to write, I have to watch the whole. stinking. video. It's a very type A program...

but it works. I sincerely wish there was an IG to go with each lesson rather than just the filled-out notebook.

I think the product is a good-quality product, but it is not for everyone. I think I will proceed with AAS (which I also have) and the PHP products from here. We have been using WWE, FLL, and AAS with great success, so I will drop PR after level 1.

Thanks for your response (to this old thread, no less). I too am trying to figure out what to do for language arts for next year.

Question--do you think Phonics Road is more "efficient" than the FLL/WWE/AAS combo? It seems to me from looking at PR that there is a great synergy there from having the different components of language arts come from the same source. IOW, could I expect quicker results from PR (level 1) than FLL 1 / WWE 1/ AAS?

Obviously, the answer could differ from child to child. I do think either program would "fit" our style, but I do wonder if FLL 1 will be too slow. We are currently in the middle of OPGTR and finishing AAS1 for my dd6 who is a K'er this year.

Thoughts?:bigear:

Another thing to keep in mind is that a level of PR does not necessarily mean a year. It may take you longer than a year to finish a level. Whereas AAS 1 often takes less than a year to complete, PR 1 may take longer. But some people will accelerate a student through a lower level to get them up to grade level in spelling or reading. AAS is really just a spelling program, and PR is integrated LA.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a level of PR does not necessarily mean a year. It may take you longer than a year to finish a level. Whereas AAS 1 often takes less than a year to complete, PR 1 may take longer. But some people will accelerate a student through a lower level to get them up to grade level in spelling or reading. AAS is really just a spelling program, and PR is integrated LA.

I did that this year so far with level 2. We did it Sept-March and are starting on level 3. I can tell you that once you get the rules down you only need to stop and find the new things you can readily explain. I was zipping through several weeks without having to look at the DVD's no problem. I just started level 3 so I am going a bit slower until I get the gist of it. DD is a terrible speller so I went back to 2 and hope to have her through all the levels by 9-10th grade. The other kids will be on track by level-hopefully.:tongue_smilie:

I am in the beginning weeks of PR2 with my 7yo. We did PR 1 last year, beginning of this year.

I couldn't be happier with the program and from where we are now, I plan on using it through the Latin Road. It took me a while to get the flow of the program, but it is truly open and go for me now. I watch the DVDs while doing something else (e.g., cleaning up the kitchen), but keep the notebook nearby to take notes on something I want to be sure to tell dd during schooltime.

For dd during PR1, I dropped the building analogy and instead used a "treasure box" idea. We decorated a recipe card box with jewels and she added her phonogram "treasures" as she learned them. Just our way to girl up the toolbox idea. We're really enjoying Little House in PR2. She will breeze through that before we finish all the spelling/grammar lists, so I'll probably have to find another literature study before PR2 is over, which is okay. Not that PR needs more work, just that she reads through 5 assigned days of Little House in two days, so we're completing two weeks each week.

HTH

We're just about finished with PR1 and I've found the program to be easy to teach and implement and my kid has absolutely made excellent progress. I agree that it isn't always thrilling to sit and watch the DVDs but I've found the portions on the building codes and other "speciality" areas to be incredibly helpful for me as the teacher. I wouldn't get that level of "training" from a written script.

We're sticking with PR. It isn't a flashy, fun program. It is solid, methodical and slowly builds to produce proficient readers, writers and spellers. For something as foundational as reading proficiency, spelling and grammar I certainly don't need that to be "fun" as much as I need it to be effective. PR 1 has been extremely effective AND efficient.

I've been flipping through our PR 2 materials as I prepare for next year and I am really impressed already. Mrs. Beers has spent a lot of time preparing a well thought out and teacher friendly curriculum - especially considering that the vast majority of the parents using PR to teach L/A are needing the hand-holding as we never learned phonics, spelling rules and grammar in school.

A+ from this mama! It is worth every penny.

Thanks for the responses! I really like the treasure box idea--I can see my dd loving that!

One more question--does PR address handwriting?

Yes, it does include handwriting.

We also ditched the construction theme as my 6 year old daughter couldn't be more of a girly girl. She has a card box decorated with hot pink sparkle stickers and her name on it is in hot pink glitter glue. :)

Do you think this would be too much forms daughter who just turned 5? We will finish OPGTR and one year of CC before starting this program.

It may be too much. You could begin and just go at her pace. Do the first four weeks (learning letter sound, letter and vowel teams) over the entire year and wait to do the spelling portion in first grade.

:iagree:

I am teaching my four-year-old the letters that start at 2:00 (when you form them)-- c, a, o, q, s, g, f, d. Teaching her ALL the sounds of a: short, long, and ah as she writes it. She also knows the "alphabet" phonograms-- all the ones that are single letter except for qu. She loves to play bingo with the sounds. And she has started reading cvc words--because she is interested and wants to. That's why I said earlier that a level doesn't equal a year. You could use PR one for K and 1st. It will be first and a little bit of second grade. I don't want to just "get through" the material-- I want my DD to be confident in the words she spells, so I am taking about six or seven school days to complete a "week." We are at CC one day a week, so we only do PR on four school days.

Do you think this would be too much forms daughter who just turned 5? We will finish OPGTR and one year of CC before starting this program.

My son was a few months past his 5th birthday when we started. He turned 6 yesterday, and we are a few weeks away from finishing level 1. There really was never a time when he was overwhelmed. He has excelled with PR, and I plan to use all levels. I absolutely adore it!

Edited by mandymom

Hello! :)

I found this thread via google, as I'm looking for something to link from All About Spelling into a reliable Grammar course. From what I've read, I'm really happy to learn that it leads to a thorough course in Latin.

Are there any long-term users of the "Latin Road" products who could share their experiences?

How well do you think this would work after finishing "All About Spelling"?

Thank you in advance!

Catherine

Thank you for your responses.

So, as an AAS user atm, do you recommend us using the Bridge to the Latin Road as our starting place with this curriculum?

I'm thinking that if we've already covered phonics, then Bridge... would be the link with grammar. Am I correct?

Thank you in advance.

Catherine

I dumped all my other grammar and spelling curriculum in the middle of last year and started using Phonics Road 1. At first I couldn't see how it was working and thought it was a little too incremental, but now my son is most of the way through Phonics Road 2 and he has taken huge leaps forward in spelling, writing and grammar. We plan to use PR 3 next year and I'm going to start PR 1 with my older K student next year. Dh is an architect and that's my training too, so the construction theme is fun for our family.

Thank you for your responses.

So, as an AAS user atm, do you recommend us using the Bridge to the Latin Road as our starting place with this curriculum?

I'm thinking that if we've already covered phonics, then Bridge... would be the link with grammar. Am I correct?

Thank you in advance.

Catherine

How much of AAS have you completed? PR1 covers AAS1-3, by the time you are done with PR4 you are done with spelling. I'm not even sure all the level of AAS have been written yet.

For a 5th grader (this year) going onto 6th grade (in the fall), can we just jump into Latin Road at the beginning? We've always been very relaxed with language arts, but need to get more structured with middle school- and want to add Latin. Should we back up to "Bridge"?

I started PR 1 with my son when he was 5 years old. He did just fine with it, the amount of writing wasn't really too much. Be aware though, I am not 100% sure what is typical or not for other children, mine seem to be a bit ahead of the curve so my information could just be totally wrong.

We moved to PR 2 in 1st grade (he was 6) and again he did fantastic with it. I, however, started to get nervous that I had started the whole sequence too early and that when we came to 3 that he might start having issues with some of it. I don't know if I was right but after doing PR 2 for half the year, I took a break from it. We plan to pick it back up at the start of 2nd grade when he's 7 and so he'll be 8 when we start with PR 3.

Again, I have no idea if I needed to do that but I got nervous and so I figure it wouldn't HURT him to wait a bit and make sure he's completely ready for it. We've been doing a myriad of other things the rest of this 1st grade year, including keeping up with the phonograms, marking, and keeping what we DID learn, grammar-wise, fresh.

So, all that to say that I think you can do PR 1 with a 5 year old and even PR 2 with a 6 year old but I am not sure about PR 3 and 4 being that "year early" and how that looks. I had heard that PR 3 ramps up and I think that is what worried me.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to wait. I definately think of PR as a level program. From everything I've heard you wouldn't want to start Latin Road before 6th, maybe even 7th. My oldest DD will finish PR4 soon, having gone through 1-4 since last January. My plans for my other kids will have them finishing PR by the end of 4th or 5th grade, exactly when will depend on the child.

If you haven't had a lot of grammar instruction I would not just jump into Latin Road, definately look at the Bridge level first.

For a 5th grader (this year) going onto 6th grade (in the fall), can we just jump into Latin Road at the beginning? We've always been very relaxed with language arts, but need to get more structured with middle school- and want to add Latin. Should we back up to "Bridge"?

If you haven't had a lot of formal grammar, then you might want to go back to "Bridge" to get that foundation and then move onto Latin Road.

How much of AAS have you completed? PR1 covers AAS1-3, by the time you are done with PR4 you are done with spelling. I'm not even sure all the level of AAS have been written yet.

I have AAS right through to level 6. My DD had a lot of trouble with spelling, which is what brought me to that program.

I've logged into the Latin Road site and requested the free dvd samples, so hopefully that will give me a better overview.

From what I've seen, I'm kind of wishing I'd started on Phonics Road instead, but didn't know about this until just recently. Ah well! We keep working things through to find what works in our circumstances, don't we? :)

I think PR 3 would be a lot for anyone under age 8 unless you have a kid that really likes instruction and writing. You have A LOT more going on each week. I used PR 2 to help my older DD (6th) with spelling and we were able to breeze trough 2 lessons per week. Now at PR3 we can only really get 1 1/2 in since there are more steps I don't want to miss. I have not used the Lit study since she is doing IEW. I will next year with DD (8) for third. I use OM for my base curriculum which is laid back but I really want a solid phonics/language program that hits all the topics and cruises into latin. This does it! It leaves me wiggle room to get in another language course as well since Latin will be done by 8th grade.

From PR 1 to PR 2 there is quite an increase in the amount of writing. And that is a challenge for my dd7, who is not enthusiastic about writing.

What I like about PR is the way they teach the phonograms in PR 1 and the rule tunes. My 4 year old sings the tunes with us and I find that we apply those rules everywhere.

I'm switching to a different program though, because my dd isn't remembering the spelling words. She needs to practice the words more to remember them. It also helps her to learn the spelling of the words and then use those words in a writing context. The words in PR seem a bit random to me. I do like the way PR teaches the rules for adding suffixes. So, while we will not be conintinuing with the program, we will definitely still use the rules we learned.

The grammar in PR2 is very thorough and the child gets a lot of practice for a concept before moving on to the next one.

Again, we're switching, because PR is a bit dry and my dd is a visual learner. She likes colorful pages and stories and learns a lot better with material presented that way.

I think PR is a great, complete program, but it just doesn't seem to work that well for us.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to wait. I definately think of PR as a level program. From everything I've heard you wouldn't want to start Latin Road before 6th, maybe even 7th. My oldest DD will finish PR4 soon, having gone through 1-4 since last January. My plans for my other kids will have them finishing PR by the end of 4th or 5th grade, exactly when will depend on the child.

If you haven't had a lot of grammar instruction I would not just jump into Latin Road, definately look at the Bridge level first.

Melissa,

This is slightly off topic but will you share how you got your daughter through four levels of PR in a little more than a year?? Was it worth the work?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how this compares to Play n Talk (probably only older homeschoolers know what that is)?

I need a phonics program for my youngest child. I've gone as far as I can in Play n Talk because I am missing parts after 15 years, 5 children and many moves. All my children liked it and learned to read quickly and easily.

I hate to use something else, but unless/until Play n Talk starts up again, I need something and I'm wondering if Phonics Road would be a good fit.

Thanks for any advice!

I love love love PR. It is worth it. If your student needs interaction it is the best. You can even watch the video together (sometimes) if you aren't prepared.

I really like the markings, flashcards and rule tunes.

I have PR 1 and 2 and will probably pick up WRTR to help me implement it off schedule.

We tried to switch to a workbook approach and it didn't go well. She didn't like it and didn't test well.

• 4 months later...

It didn't work well for us, mainly because I think *any* integrated LA program wouldn't have worked well for us. My K'er at the time was reading at a 3rd grade level and she has an inherent sense of phonics, so some of the work she was supposed to do seemed ridiculously easy for her. I spoke to the woman who wrote the program and she was insistent that you had to do Level 1 first nomatterwhat because otherwise Level 2 would make no sense.

It worked better for us to go with non-integrated LA programs (we went to FLL, WWE and AAS).

I was just coming to post how HAPPY I am with Phonics Road and saw this thread on the first page, so I am saved a thread.

I used Phonics Road level 1 last year with my 5 yr old ds, and I was very impressed and planned level 2 for this year. When I got level 2, I was overwhelmed. It really stepped things up quite a bit! I was afraid it was too much of an increase in work. But, my ds has flourished. We are several weeks into level 2, and he is doing SO well and I am SO SO SO pleased with his progress. While he is learning quite a bit, he isn't struggling with the work. It seems to be just right for him. And, he is really enjoying it. He especially likes Little House in the Big Woods, and he could read it much more quickly, but I like the pace that PR takes it and all the lit study that goes into it.

I use Latin Road with my older kids, and while the results are not as spectacular, it gets the job done. BUT, my kids are coming from PS (this is our second year of homeschooling) and they don't have the background that my youngest will have. I can see how Latin Road will be so much easier to teach (and learn) when a child has been through the Phonics Road program.

I Loved PR for my 7-y/o and was looking forward to moving through it to Latin. But my boy went to PS this year for special services. Sigh.

She is resurrecting all sorts of threads so she can sell curriculum. I suspect she has PR to sell. I have reported her.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=422529

Mandy,

I always like hearing how a curriculum is still working a year later. I am looking at this for my dd.

Edited by Northwest_Mama

I used Phonics Road level 1 last year with my 5 yr old ds, and I was very impressed and planned level 2 for this year. When I got level 2, I was overwhelmed. It really stepped things up quite a bit! I was afraid it was too much of an increase in work.

I loved everything about PR1. My daughter was a summer bday first grader and a struggling reader (mild dyslexia, low processing were diagnosed during the year) and she became a fluent reader and on grade level speller because of PR. It is solid.

I looked very carefully over PR2 as I was planning second grade. I bought the materials gung ho to stick with this program for all four years. I made the decision to put off PR2 until third. The work really does ramp up significantly and my daughter would have been overwhelmed. I am not selling PR2 as I am determined to go through all four levels with my kid, I am just using 2nd grade as a "gap year" so to speak with continuing using spelling lists from the MP Grade 2 guide with PR markings.

• 2 weeks later...
She is resurrecting all sorts of threads so she can sell curriculum. I suspect she has PR to sell. I have reported her.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=422529

Mandy,

I always like hearing how a curriculum is still working a year later. I am looking at this for my dd.

Sorry my responses were annoying - I didn't realize any of the posts I commented on were old. I was commenting in part to get my post count up to sell curriculum (whoops!) but also because I felt I had valuable comments to add to the conversation. We DID use PR, we used LOF, we were homeschoolers who got a lot out of this forum.

Not trying to start any drama, I'd just hate to see anyone write off all of my posts because I was "spamming" because I honestly wasn't trying to, I was mostly trying to find things I had something useful to say about.