Menu

need support to give up diet soda

I'm adicted. I admit it. What is going to happen withdrawal wise if i give it up?

I just did this a few weeks ago (I.e. The aspartame thread I started). You will get used after a couple weeks. My only problem is I'm getting bored with water. I think once I find a satisfying drink that quenches my thirst, I will be fine. I'm going tomorrow to check out Trader Joes and see what I can find that's natural without the aspartame. I have felt so much better. It's completely worth it!

Water does get boring. I will sometimes drink watered down juice when I need something different, or if that doesn't work and I'm dehydrating myself, I go buy young coconuts! Sometimes I'll have fruit teas or miso soup. That's not much trouble. Heat water, when it is cool enough you can stick your finger in without burning it, add a bit of miso paste and stir. Yum.

Rosie

I really like flavored unsweetened water--try La Croix or Klarbrunn if they carry them in your area. La Croix has orange, lemon, raspberry, lime, cranberry, and grapefruit flavors. Klarbrunn has lemon, lime, citrus, raspberry, and wild cherry. I find that I will drink way more of this than water straight up. :glare:;)

What is going to happen withdrawal wise if i give it up?

Not much, imo.

I gave up Diet Cokes back in November. It really wasn't a huge deal. I just quit one day & that was it. (It may have helped that I mostly drank the caffeine-free kind.) I was drinking many, many of them a day.

You can do it! :D Don't doubt yourself. I'm so glad I quit.

Now I drink (lots more) coffee & water. Sometimes tea.

Caffeine withdrawal can cause headaches, sleepiness and irritability, among other things. You could avoid this by drinking other sources of caffeine (e.g. tea) or you could tough it out and take aspirin as needed. I think you should be over the worst of the effects in 3-5 days. Good luck!

Caffeine withdrawal can cause headaches, sleepiness and irritability, among other things. You could avoid this by drinking other sources of caffeine (e.g. tea) or you could tough it out and take aspirin as needed. I think you should be over the worst of the effects in 3-5 days. Good luck!

:iagree:

I gave up Diet Coke a few years ago, and the caffeine withdrawal was really hard for me. Bad headaches, nausea, irritability. It lasted about a week and then all was well. But for almost a year after that, I'd get a bad headache whenever I'd have any caffeine. It was like my body remembered the caffeine addiction :glare: Now a few years out, it isn't a problem and I can have caffeine without any problems (although I don't drink it regularly).

If it helps, you can think about how all that phosphoric acid in sodas (diet sodas too) is slowly leaching calcium from your bones, putting you at greater risk for osteoporosis.

I think if you go cold turkey, after a while, you'll lose your taste for them.

I never drank diet sodas. But I was a soda drinker many many years ago. When I quit, in order to avoid headaches that would be caused by the caffeine withdrawl, I weaned myself off the soda slowly. The last one was the hardest to give up. I was having my one soda for the day around 6:00. I enjoyed my soda like some people would enjoy a cocktail after work. I looked forward to it.

I used to think water was boring. But I've changed how I look at food and beverages. Now water is good. The saying in our house is "water is life".

Guest Dulcimeramy

Well, I'll join you. I'm starting tomorrow because I am out of diet pepsi AND out of money.

I can't afford non-nutritive groceries, it is just a fact.

Sigh.

I will be drinking lots of caffeinated tea this week!

I was an addict.

A-D-D-I-C-T.

It was bad. Then I had a weird headache (my first ever migraine I would guess) and I assumed it was caused by Diet Coke. So I prayed and God delivered me. I know that sounds really cliche - but it's totally true. I had tried to quit so MANY times, but I couldn't stick with it. I had my last one the day of the headache in March and I have not had a sip since then. I still crave it, but I have made it. I will occasionally have a real coke, but I think I'll be skipping those now too. [Coke is more for fun and flavor - not an addiction thing like DC was.] What I am saying is that IT CAN BE DONE. Don't give up.

Now I drink unsweetened iced tea (sweetened or half sweet make me gag now), the sparkling waters with no sweeteners that others mentioned, and water. I also like milk with dinner. I have not had aspartame since March. I do have an occasional Splenda with my iced coffee.

It can be done. I cannot say that I've lost 50 pounds or my life is better - but I can say that I feel a little sharper and the guilt of the chemical diet is gone. Stick with it. You can do it!!!

Total addiction to diet coke..I gave it up 1 month ago! I feel alot less bloated now and also less hungry in general. Maybe the chemicals in DC actual made me want to eat because I notice a change in my general appetite. weird but true!

Anyways, I drank diet coke all the time day and night so if I can do it..you can ,too:001_smile: Pam

I quit diet soda recently (didn't write down the date, but it was probably 2 months ago). I had a little headache, but I switched to drinking tea (sweetened, but I only use half the amount of sugar I used to use, and I am slowly cutting down on that amount so that hopefully I'll get myself accustomed to the taste of unsweetened tea). For a treat I buy one 4-pack of Steaz when I go grocery shopping. It's on the soda aisle in the commissary- it's green tea that's carbonated, and has a fruity flavor added- the ingredients are organic and it's pricey compared to buying a 12 pack of soda but it's a great help when I just really want something bubbly to drink. I've found OJ helps me feel satisfied too, when I just don't want tea or water.

That was pretty much it. I used to drink a ridiculous amount of Diet Dr. Pepper, I'm so glad to be done with it. Interestingly, I bought a 20oz as a treat one day a week ago, and right after I drank some I had asthma symptoms. I tried a regular (non diet) a couple of days after that and had asthma symptoms again. So, that's enough to keep me away from the sodas.