Menu

Suggestions for night time coughing in dd3?

Tap

We have tried:

allergy medicines-Claritin, Zyrtec, Benadryl

honey

Vicks on the feet

Calms Forte/Rescue Remedy for kids

Sips of water

No signs of digestion issues like GERD so we haven't adjusted the levels of her bed to tip it top to bottom.

(she won't use a humidifier due to the sound of woooshing air-she had auditory processing disorder) The house doesn't feel dry and we live in a wet climate. It rained all day and she is still coughing tonight. Her room is relatively dust free (minimal decorations/hardwood/etc), 6mth old foam mattress, electronic air filter on the home air system, bedding is washed with hot water/vinegar, no stuffed animals, consistent temp 68-72,

She coughs in other beds too, so I don't think it is a bedroom issue.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Hm I don't know. Maybe you can try elevating her head some though. If she's in a toddler bed with a light weight mattress, you can maybe stick a thicker/firmer pillow under the mattress to lift the head of it up some and see if that helps. I guess that might help if it's like a backdrip sort of thing, which can be common at night.

If this has been ongoing and you've tried all of those things, I think it's time to take her in to be evaluated for asthma. They treat it differently now than when we were kids, since they've determined that waiting for severe attacks for treatment left many of us with permanent mild-to-moderate lung damage. Now there are very, very low-dose maintenance meds that can keep kids healthier. I find with ds we usually only have to use them about 4 months of the year (roughly two months in spring and in fall), but he hasn't had a "real asthma attack" in a couple of years since we've been doing that.

Anyway. Take her in and get her evaluated. Especially since her health background is a little different than the rest of your family's, and there may be some history there that you don't know 100%...

My twins have not been diagnosed with asthma but do go through periods of severe nighttime coughing. It seems to be triggered by a random cold or seasonal allergies that then set off weeks of coughing. Our doctor gives them an inhaler at night and then if that doesn't work they will also get a few puffs during the day for a week or so. Is that asthma? Nothing but the inhaler helps but nobody has ever mentioned asthma to us so we thought it was just some random reaction to respiratory irritations. When I took the girls in for it last year she could hear some wheezing during the day that was not noticeable to me at all.

My twins have not been diagnosed with asthma but do go through periods of severe nighttime coughing. It seems to be triggered by a random cold or seasonal allergies that then set off weeks of coughing. Our doctor gives them an inhaler at night and then if that doesn't work they will also get a few puffs during the day for a week or so. Is that asthma? Nothing but the inhaler helps but nobody has ever mentioned asthma to us so we thought it was just some random reaction to respiratory irritations. When I took the girls in for it last year she could hear some wheezing during the day that was not noticeable to me at all.

Some Drs are reluctant to diagnose asthma and use the phrase, "reactive airways." Is that what your Dr called it?

It can be asthma by a different name, or it can be a precursor, or it can truly be reactive airways. If there's wheezing, I'd be getting a full asthma eval.

we have used those little vicks vapor things you stick in an outlet...it doesn't make noise, it just puts out the vicks vapor smell all night long (works well if the door is mostly shut)...we use it for stuffy noses too. Not perfect, but when nothing else seems to work...we try this.

Some Drs are reluctant to diagnose asthma and use the phrase, "reactive airways." Is that what your Dr called it?

It can be asthma by a different name, or it can be a precursor, or it can truly be reactive airways. If there's wheezing, I'd be getting a full asthma eval.

Our Dr didn't call it anything. She just said that they were wheezing and she would give them a steroid for a while and to come back if it didn't get better. It usually would get better until they got another cold or something and then it sometimes comes back and sometimes not. :confused:

Duuuuh! :tongue_smilie: I hadn't even thought about asthma/reactive airway! Ds gets a cough every August due to this. She has a 'reactive airway' diagnosis, but it only causes problems when she is sick.

Can't believe that I didn't make the connection....LOL :lol: I will try her inhaler before bed tonight to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks everyone!

~Tap

The same thing went on with my daughter when she was that age! The doctor said she had asthma. I thought there had to be more to it...even though the asthma medication helped.

All symptoms went away completely and for good when I no longer allowed *any*smoking around her or in my home. Are there any smoker's around your daughter?

Are there any pets in your home?

The same thing went on with my daughter when she was that age! The doctor said she had asthma. I thought there had to be more to it...even though the asthma medication helped.

All symptoms went away completely and for good when I no longer allowed *any*smoking around her or in my home. Are there any smoker's around your daughter?

Are there any pets in your home?

No smoking anywhere around her.

No pets either.

She is only around a smoker or a home with pets a few times a year.

bedding is washed with hot water/vinegar

Just another thought--if you dry your bedding on the clothesline, it can pick up lots of pollen/allergens. My sister used to put all her family's bedding out on the line, thinking she was doing a great & healthy thing. Then her son developed asthma & the pediatrician blamed it on the clothesline. :tongue_smilie: HTH.

Just another thought--if you dry your bedding on the clothesline, it can pick up lots of pollen/allergens. My sister used to put all her family's bedding out on the line, thinking she was doing a great & healthy thing. Then her son developed asthma & the pediatrician blamed it on the clothesline. :tongue_smilie: HTH.

Great thought :D, but I dry all of our clothes inside due to my families pollen allergies.

My youngest with asthma has issues with that. All have allergies but the ONLY thing that would works for all three is Delsym cough relief. It's over the counter and if you give it to them about a half hour before bed they can almost make it the entire night without waking themselves up coughing when it's really bad. Works better than any prescription suppressant her ped gave us...good luck:)