Menu

Is this possible?

Mom2J112903

So DH thinks I am "pushing" J too much-but he has his own thoughts on *how* school should be accomplished.

Our curricula includes-Saxon Phonics (do NOT spend much time AT ALL on this as his phonics skills are GREAT), MUS Alpha, Shurley English1, ZB Handwritting, ZB Spelling (we do not use the spelling portion of Saxon Phonics), ASL (about 5-10 minutes daily), Spanish (again 10min daily), R.E.A.L Science Earth and Space and the SOTW (I read aloud and then do comprehension questions). J also reads a Level1or Level 2 book for reading practice.

DH wants school completed before lunch, if we have to we can school after lunch but everything is to be done before rest time. Yes my child still sleeps, yes he is 6 1/2yrs old, yes he is a special needs child due to his SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder). Yes he *needs* this 2hr block to decompress. Sure that only adds up to *maybe* 3hrs of school, but when you have a child that needs 15 minute breaks after 30 minutes of school, how can I show DH that I may *have* to school after rest time? He wants the "core" subjects first, that is NO problem. J ENJOYS ASL and Spanish-he wants to learn ANOTHER language as well. How do I explain to DH that school just might have to be in the afternoons?

School starts around 8a and J takes breaks as needed. Usually we school for about 30minutes before you can see the need for a 15 minute break. Some subjects take MUCH longer than others, it just depends on the lesson and if J "gets" it or not.

Tuesdays and Thursdays include allergy injections and OT. That means we are out of the house from approx 930a to 1130a. Yes, I do take something with me while we sit at the allergist office (we have to wait 20 minutes after the injection to watch for reactions) but I can't take anything core.

I haven't even began his science due to illness. DH does *not* want J to school in the afternoon, but if a lesson does not take 10 minutes and ends up taking 45 minutes (for whatever reason) how am I supposed to make certain we get everything done?!

I would do the read alouds in the afternoon and call them - "reading books". Not sschooling. I would do math, spelling, science, Sp. in the morning with breaks, and leave the read alouds- SOTW for sure - but also literature - in the afternoon. I could not finish in the morning with that schedule - I can't finish because I get interrupted by my younger ones all the time, so it cannot be all done by noon. I understand.

IMO, the person who does the teaching and deals with the student during the day gets to set the schedule. Others can express opinions but should not expect to dictate how things go.

As you know, you can't get everything done *and* take lots of breaks *and* finish by noon. Something has got to give. Since your son requires breaks and you need to get everything done, it will have to be the finishing by noon.

I would do the reading, math, english FIRST. Everything else I would classify as extra. First grade should primarily consist of reading and math. I do believe that the longer you school the longer he will be able to sit there. You could have him do jumping jacks or run through the house a few times and come sit back down and not have to take an extended break. We have to start at 7:30 to finish by lunch. But the state of GA also requires 4 1/2 hrs of school per day for 180 days.

I already told DH that SOTW is done in the afternoons, along with Spanish and ASL. No questions asked-end of story.

Handwritting and Spelling are very important since he has a fine motor delay and this is part of his OT.

Due to J's SPD he *has* to have frequent breaks, like it or not. If I did not allow this I would have a complete meltdown, each and every day.

Also DH thinks that J should only school for 2/3 days then a day or TWO off! NO way! With unexpected things happening, like J's tonsilectomy, there is no way we will get done what *needs* to be done with a schedule like that.

Maybe DH should take on *my* role for a while and see just why I have decided to do things like I have. ;)

Have you shown him a written schedule with all the breaks penciled in?

I made up a spreadsheet in 15 min intervals and put everything on paper. We also go past lunch and past quiet time somedays, but thats because we are up about evey half hour to an hour with a 15 minute wiggle break. Maybe if you do that and show him the blocks that are actual sit-down learning time he would understand?

I totally agree with what the PP's said about reading left for afternoons.

Also, if he still has a real problem dont count Spanish and ASL as "school" explain that those are not required, its just something that DC has an interest in and would be the same as him watching TV or playing with a toy. Maybe if you compromise and tell him that if DC loses interest in those things that you will drop them and you are not "pushing" those on him?

You might want to cut out either ASL or Spanish for now or do them just once a week. At this age you could also split up history and science to just a couple days a week. I know you want to make sure he gets everything but taking it a little slower might work better since he has some special needs. I know many families who only do history or science once or twice a week and they do not have kids who need frequent breaks. Reember at this age it is mainly exposure unless you find something they really latch onto. The focus should be on the basic skills, reading, writing and math.

I think your husband may have a point. It sounds like you've got approximately 21 30-minute instructional blocks available per week in the 8am to noon time frame. It seems reasonable that you could accomplish all of your sit-down bookwork - math, handwriting, phonics, spelling, etc. in 10.5 hours per week. If you can't, you may need to modify your curriculum to be more efficient.

Leave the reading for later- at bedtime, in the afternoon, on the weekend. Do science experiments and SOTW activities in the afternoon or evening.

I would definitely suggest getting your husband involved in setting goals. He may not have a clear idea of how many lessons per week need to get done in each area to meet your goals.

To be honest, I have no idea how you could possibly finish school on Tuesdays and Thursdays before noon. :confused: Does your DH have a particular reason for not wanting him doing school in the afternoon? Does he expect that you should be done, or does he think it's too much school?

I have a 6-yr old with SPD/Asperger's and if he gets going, I can't *stop* him from learning - so we are often still doing school read-alouds at 9:00 at night. Thankfully my DH is open to this, so we don't have a time limit for school. However, our "sit down and do school" time is less than an hour each day. Math & Daily Language Review are the only seatwork I require. The rest is read-alouds, science experiments, art, OT work at home, etc.

Is it possible that you are including too much fine motor activity and that's what is wiping him out? I know with my boy, notebooking with SOTW, spelling, math, science worksheets AND handwriting together all in one day would kill him. He gets writing practice, but I don't expect more than a few minutes - via math and light copywork. I could see you getting through your curriculum in a morning if you let your DS talk to you about the subject and not have to do all the worksheet work.

I do the writting for his phonics on many occassions. ;) It is interesting to see phonics pages done in purple ink instead of pencil.

We *only* read the SOTW for comprehension building skills. NOTHING else. J *hated* the AG so it is sitting on my shelf collecting dust :glare:

DH wants a *very* light day on Tuesdays/Thursdays, meaning *just* Math and Reading. If J wants to do Spanish and ASL, so be it, but I should not schedule anything else.

Science and SOTW are not done daily-at best they will each be done twice a week and DH is going to have to get over it, but they will be done after lunch. And of course never on the same day.

Oh, and we school on the weekends since DH does not have the typical M-F/9a-5p job. Some days he goes in at 7a and is home at 4p, other days he does not go in until 12p and gets home at 830p. J is in bed by 7p every night.

Can't do his reading after rest time, he is just not interested in it. Do it in the morning and it is done in 10 minutes. :) We have tried to wait to do our read alouds in the afternoon-DH saw what happens. A 45 minute fight. Yeah, DH now knows why we do our read alouds in the morning. ;)

Yes, if I had a typical child that could sit at the table for 3hrs each day, sure it would be NO problem getting our core subjects and even our "extras" in. That is the problem though-J is NOT a typical child. Some days we *are* done by 10a, with EVERYTHING, other days, yep, it runs after lunch. I just need DH to realize that those days are few and far between and we will school after lunch/in the evening where we see fit.

What irks me even more is that DH is hardly home in the evenings. It is not like I am taking away time from him when we have to school in th afternoons/evenings. Yes, when DH does not go in until 12p, I make sure J takes enough breaks and gets to see his Daddy often. So, just let me do as I have BTDT and I know what works. I don't make him sit at a desk for 7hrs straight, like he would be at traditional school, we do fun things, so what is his problem?!

DH would un-school J if he could-would J thrive, no. MAYBE science but there is NO way my child would learn handwritting, spelling, and definatly not math being un-schooled in those subjects.

If I were not so worried about J's phonics, I would just drop phonics completly, but there are rules that *I* forget and I want J to learn them. We are already on Lesson 57 he flies with his rules so well :) I guess it is back to reading above his level for a while, maybe that will make DH happy.

From what I gather, this seems to be more about your conflict with your DH than anything else. What exactly are DH's concerns? Maybe if the Hive better understood, we could give you some ammo for getting your side across.

If your DH is pushing for an unschooling approach, I might gently encourage you to read two books: Better Late than Early and The Trouble With Boys. Your DH *might* be offering you help from a man's perspective about a boy's ability to do formal schoolwork at this age. I know you want the best for your son, especially considering his special needs, but I think you need to listen to your DH's concerns about his son too.

It *is* possible to take an unschooling approach to handwriting, spelling, phonics & math. I'm doing it right now. We have not technically done school since May, yet my son still writes notes and stories (by his own choice), asks me to help him sound out blends and digraphs (for words that interest him) and plays with magnetic letters so I can help him transform MUNY to MONEY. He read his first books over the summer (Nate the Great & Amelia Bedelia), when I wasn't even forcing him to read to me. We do addition, subtraction, and even multiplication with sets of toys/play money/candy/other objects around the house. I certainly haven't had the summer break I had hoped for! :tongue_smilie: He's learned more this summer than he did all last spring when I was pushing him to do it by the book. There are opportunities everywhere, and a curious kid will do all sorts of things you don't expect when they still think learning is fun. And a 6-yr old boy should definitely think learning is fun.

All that to say, I think you need to work out this conflict with your DH. Try to talk it out and come to some sort of compromise together. I know it can be hard, but the best thing parents can do for a child is to love each other. :)

From what I gather, this seems to be more about your conflict with your DH than anything else. What exactly are DH's concerns? Maybe if the Hive better understood, we could give you some ammo for getting your side across.

:iagree:I am really having a hard time offering any input because I am trying to figure out why your DH wants you to finish so early, especially with the weekly appointment schedule you have? Does he think you are trying to cover too much? Does he see something in your son's learning style that he thinks would be better met by a different approach? How involved has he been in DS's schooling to understand the workload, schedule, etc. as it is now? Does he think the frequent breaks are unnecessary and is trying to push you to cut those out?

Honestly, it would frustrate me greatly if DH just arbitrarily pushed me to make some major change in the kids school without a really valid reason to back it up.

I refuse to *not* school my son whom will be 7 in November in some sort of formal way. J would not learn *anything* he would be doing exactly what he is doing now-watching TV. Un-schooling subjects such as handwritting and math are just not options for us. Phonics, like I said, we can go back to reading harder books. Only problem with that is, a long book frustrates J because he wants to finish it. Long book = drained brain = frustrated J. NOT a good combination.

DH thinks that J should be able to sit longer and concentrate harder. He wants *everything* done by lunch time so that J can have the rest of the day to himself. He has seen what happens with *core* subjects after rest time and seems to think that even with *non* core subjects it will be the same result. I love my DH more than words can say, but he is hardly here due to his work schedule and gets frustrated when it comes to J and I say "hun, this is how we do it" we do it that way because it WORKS. If he were home, he would say the *same* thing to me. You do the lawn work, so of course I expect you to tell me the best/most effecient way to accomplish things outside. Don't get angry with me when I tell you that "this is how it works with J, don't mess with it".

Like I stated before, DH doesn't want a "hard" day at all on Tues/Thursdays, but then he wants xyz completed by the end of the year as well. He is such a difficult man :tongue_smilie:

I refuse to *not* school my son whom will be 7 in November in some sort of formal way. J would not learn *anything* he would be doing exactly what he is doing now-watching TV. Un-schooling subjects such as handwritting and math are just not options for us. Phonics, like I said, we can go back to reading harder books. Only problem with that is, a long book frustrates J because he wants to finish it. Long book = drained brain = frustrated J. NOT a good combination.

DH thinks that J should be able to sit longer and concentrate harder. He wants *everything* done by lunch time so that J can have the rest of the day to himself. He has seen what happens with *core* subjects after rest time and seems to think that even with *non* core subjects it will be the same result. I love my DH more than words can say, but he is hardly here due to his work schedule and gets frustrated when it comes to J and I say "hun, this is how we do it" we do it that way because it WORKS. If he were home, he would say the *same* thing to me. You do the lawn work, so of course I expect you to tell me the best/most effecient way to accomplish things outside. Don't get angry with me when I tell you that "this is how it works with J, don't mess with it".

Like I stated before, DH doesn't want a "hard" day at all on Tues/Thursdays, but then he wants xyz completed by the end of the year as well. He is such a difficult man :tongue_smilie:

Why dont you pick a subject, hand the book over to DH, and then ask him to write out a years worth of lesson plans for that subject with his requirement of X amount of days and X amount of time.

In my household I value DH's opinion, but I will only take it into consideration if he helps me work out a solution. i.e. he dumps ALL of the financials on me. He hasnt written a check or checked a bank account or ANYTHING in 7 years. He barely knows where we bank. Therefore I will listen to him when he says we NEED this or that, but I will not work it into the budget unless he helps me figure out how. If he wants new hunting clothes etc, then he needs to sit down and help me finaggle the budget. I refuse to do all the hardwork and let him give me orders.

For HS'ing...its the same way. We agreed that I would be teaching the kids. I have done millions of hours of research. Thus it is only fair that I make up the schedule and pick the curriculum. If he wants in on it, thats great, but he will have to sit down and look it all over and read the books, and check things out online.....etc.

I think an INFORMED decision about a matter is fine. But I dont go to his surveying job wothout knowing a thing and tell him what to do :D

That is what gets me-when we first started on this journey, it was decided that *I* do everything about homeschooling. I was doing the research, I am home with J 24/7 and now he starts in on this.

I could just see DH if I handed over the MUS curricula to him :tongue_smilie: It is definatly a different approach but J LOVES it!

Yeah, I could see myself doing DH's job...that would be, um, interesting to say the least. I know NOTHING about cars and he is a Parts Pro. I wouldn't even know where to begin!

That is what gets me-when we first started on this journey, it was decided that *I* do everything about homeschooling. I was doing the research, I am home with J 24/7 and now he starts in on this.

I could just see DH if I handed over the MUS curricula to him :tongue_smilie: It is definatly a different approach but J LOVES it!

Yeah, I could see myself doing DH's job...that would be, um, interesting to say the least. I know NOTHING about cars and he is a Parts Pro. I wouldn't even know where to begin!

Maybe pose it to him that way.....what if I came to your work and.....:D

I think it is a worthy goal to have your schooling done in 3 hours, including breaks, for a child under 8. Your husband is likely looking out for both you and your son. . . although I am sure I'd not like it to be told what to do, lol. I'd explore your dh's reasons with him and see if there is some wisdom there. It is vital to have support, so try to achieve that.

Can you move your T/Th obligations to later in the day? Perhaps between lunch & rest time? Or even after rest time? Freeing up your mornings every day will make your life much smoother, IME. I learned the hard way not to schedule regular things during our schooling time. I do everything possible to avoid scheduling *anything* before 3 PM M-F.

Can you separate your subjects into two lists: one of official, mom-required subjects. . . and another of "invitational" activities? Then prioritize/schedule those required subjects in the mornings. . . and leave the rest of it unscheduled and to be done at your mutual leisure. . .For those elective subjects, don't have a schedule/plan. . .just pick up and do "what's next" when you have time.

It may be that you can get the required subjects done, say between 8 & 10 AM. . . and then have the remaining morning and the rest of the day to do ASL, Spanish, etc etc *if* your son and you are both interested.

HTH

There is *no* way we can move our OT to a different time. They see kids *all* day from 730a to 430p. Everything is full and this is our given time. We have had this slot for a while now and will until winter at best. At that time J will be re-evaulated and we shall see if he still needs the 2wk OT, can go down to once/week or be discharged.

Allergy shots have to be at least 24hrs apart and since the allergist office is literally on the way to OT, we do those on Tuesdays and Thursdays as well.

I don't schedule as detailed as what time things are to be completed. I just have a list of subjects to be done thru-out the day and do them in order of importance. Usually we start with Math, then Phonics, then Spelling and Handwritting. Sometimes this takes an hour, other times we are pushing much longer. Just depends on J of course.

Today we didn't get to Spanish, no biggie. I asked J if he wanted to do some of it while we wait for the race to come on (this is a HUGE thing for him since bedtime is usually 7p) and he said "nah, I want to watch pre-race" Ok, no biggie-he is happy and that is what counts.

I could just see myself in DH's shoes and he would most likely be begging to get back into his. I think DH's co-workers would want him back after I got done with a shift as well :lol:

I'm sorry, but I don't think his requests are unreasonable. Having time to run, play outside, and be bored are all essential parts of your son's development. You have a heavy schedule. There are certainly things you can eliminate or do more simply if you wanted to.

We all have to make tough choices for one reason or another--KWIM?

Yes, if I had a typical child that could sit at the table for 3hrs each day, sure it would be NO problem getting our core subjects and even our "extras" in. That is the problem though-J is NOT a typical child. Some days we *are* done by 10a, with EVERYTHING, other days, yep, it runs after lunch. I just need DH to realize that those days are few and far between and we will school after lunch/in the evening where we see fit.

Even with a typical child, the joy of homeschooling is that you can work around your child and work when it is best for him/her. I can see how having a break every 30 minutes or so would definitely extend your day, but since that is what J needs, that is what he should get!!

I have a typical child. Well, I strongly suspect she is at least mildly gifted, but haven't tested. But anyways, we are the same way. Sometimes we can sit and get everything I want done done in an hour or less. Sometimes it takes longer- because DD needs more, wants more, needs breaks, etc. These are young children we are talking about, I love that DD doesn't have to sit for long periods of time unless she decides too.

I'm sorry. I don't have much advice. I'm not married, so I really don't know what it is like to share the parenting. But :grouphug:, and I hope you can reach a compromise!!

I'm sorry' date=' but I don't think his requests are unreasonable. Having time to run, play outside, and be bored are all essential parts of your son's development. You have a heavy schedule. There are certainly things you can eliminate or do more simply [i']if you wanted to[/i].

We all have to make tough choices for one reason or another--KWIM?

What can I take out and still make certain that J is on level? ASL and Spanish are extras, everything else is needed to make certain, IF, he goes back to school he will be on grade level.

Science J *adores*, we are only doing SOTW for comprehension (he has A LOT of catching up to do), Math, Spelling, Handwritting, Reading, Phonics, are all *very* important. We can all agree on that.

I see some posters with MUCH more than I, so I can't understand how *I* have too much.

If J were still in Catholic school he would have Math, Spelling, Handwritting (which is graded per the diocese), Phonics, Spanish, Music, Art, PhysEd (daily), Science, History, English/Grammar, Computers, Library and Religion. Spanish, Music and Art, and computer are twice weekly. Library once/week. Talk about a full schedule! And homework-every night!

What can I take out and still make certain that J is on level? ASL and Spanish are extras, everything else is needed to make certain, IF, he goes back to school he will be on grade level.

Science J *adores*, we are only doing SOTW for comprehension (he has A LOT of catching up to do), Math, Spelling, Handwritting, Reading, Phonics, are all *very* important. We can all agree on that.

I see some posters with MUCH more than I, so I can't understand how *I* have too much.

If J were still in Catholic school he would have Math, Spelling, Handwritting (which is graded per the diocese), Phonics, Spanish, Music, Art, PhysEd (daily), Science, History, English/Grammar, Computers, Library and Religion. Spanish, Music and Art, and computer are twice weekly. Library once/week. Talk about a full schedule! And homework-every night!

You could do a less intensive science program (perhaps following WTM recs or *just* library books or a fun science kit every other week). I understand he likes the program, but sometimes you have to say "no" for the greater good. There really isn't a such thing as "on level" for science in elementary school. If he had to go back to private school he would be fine. ASL and Spanish cut altogether. Even as extras, they take up time. Can you let him listen to SOTW during his rest time or perhaps on your way to appointments? For comprehension, can accomplish that with your other subjects? You could even drop SOTW. Are 1st graders at this private school studying ancients? Turn off the t.v and maybe he would listen to SOTW while playing playmobil/legos or something :). Audio books are your friend.

I understand wanting to do it all. :grouphug: We haven't started this school year yet but I had to shelve a formal science program, song school latin, spanish, math enrichment and formal art. We are adding a few outside activities this year and my kids still need time to just be kids. Like you, we take frequent breaks (in our case, to nurse the baby, clean up an overflowed toilet, etc...;)).

Can you compromise and agree to try it for a semester? It is amazing what we moms can make happen when we believe it is important for our children.

I think it is reasonable to take the amount of time occupied with academic studies into consideration, though. I doubt most people here are doing more than 10-15 hours a week of sit-down schooling/bookwork with their first graders. So while they might be doing more, they probably aren't spending more time doing it.

Would your husband be amenable to some kind of a time chart? Perhaps if you set a specific maximum number of hours of school per week together, and then marked them off as they went along, it wouldn't matter so much to him when they occurred?

School starts around 8a and J takes breaks as needed. Usually we school for about 30minutes before you can see the need for a 15 minute break. Some subjects take MUCH longer than others, it just depends on the lesson and if J "gets" it or not.

Tuesdays and Thursdays include allergy injections and OT. That means we are out of the house from approx 930a to 1130a. Yes, I do take something with me while we sit at the allergist office (we have to wait 20 minutes after the injection to watch for reactions) but I can't take anything core.

I haven't even began his science due to illness. DH does *not* want J to school in the afternoon, but if a lesson does not take 10 minutes and ends up taking 45 minutes (for whatever reason) how am I supposed to make certain we get everything done?!

Meant to add..

It looks like you can get a good 3.5 hours MWF (including breaks). TR, if you get ready early and school before you leave and then school when you get back, you can get around 2 hours in. Perhaps reevaluate those subjects that are consistently running over on time (for example, you think spelling should take 10 minutes and it is taking 30).

Science J *adores*, we are only doing SOTW for comprehension (he has A LOT of catching up to do), Math, Spelling, Handwritting, Reading, Phonics, are all *very* important.

I would not do separate phonics and spelling. I would go with a program that combines the two.

Not going to happen. I am not going to take something away from J that he actually *enjoys*. I do not like many of the WTM recs/books, if you couldn't tell already ;) I haven't liked WWE, FLL or SOTW nor do I see the "need" for latin.

J could not comprehend the audio book we attempted to listen to. He has to sit still and be read paragraph by paragraph sometimes sentance by sentance to comprehend the story. Even if we dropped SOTW, we would have to add in some other program for comprehension or spend more time on another subject.

I again will not cut ASL and Spanish. I don't see how 20minutes a day is hurting him. HE asks for these subjects, I can't see telling a child "no" when they *ask* for things such as this.

You could do a less intensive science program (perhaps following WTM recs or *just* library books or a fun science kit every other week). I understand he likes the program' date=' but sometimes you have to say "no" for the greater good. There really isn't a such thing as "on level" for science in elementary school. If he had to go back to private school he would be fine. ASL and Spanish cut altogether. Even as extras, they take up time. Can you let him listen to SOTW during his rest time or perhaps on your way to appointments? For comprehension, can accomplish that with your other subjects? You could even drop SOTW. Are 1st graders at this private school studying ancients? Turn off the t.v and maybe he would listen to SOTW while playing playmobil/legos or something :). Audio books are your friend.

I understand wanting to do it all. :grouphug: We haven't started this school year yet but I had to shelve a formal science program, song school latin, spanish, math enrichment and formal art. We are adding a few outside activities this year and my kids still need time to just be kids. Like you, we take frequent breaks (in our case, to nurse the baby, clean up an overflowed toilet, etc...;)).

I would never dream of doing Latin. Latin is not going to help my son get a job, Spanish will. He has no intrest in Latin either. That would just be torture for him. J doesn't like Art, so at least I don't have that to worry about. ;)

Can you compromise and agree to try it for a semester? It is amazing what we moms can make happen when we believe it is important for our children.[/quote']

Meant to add..

It looks like you can get a good 3.5 hours MWF (including breaks). TR' date=' if you get ready early and school before you leave and then school when you get back, you can get around 2 hours in. Perhaps reevaluate those subjects that are consistently running over on time (for example, you think spelling should take 10 minutes and it is taking 30).[/quote']

And on Tuesdays/Thursdays, yes we literally school until 5 minutes before time to leave.

Spelling *never* takes 30 minutes :) It is Math that has been taking our time. We have recently switched from Saxon to MUS, so crossing our fingers that Math takes much less time. We haven't started MUS yet as we have almost a 2wk break coming up. This was an un-expected break. And of course SOTW since we are using it as comprehension. If J doesn't show intrests in ancients, I do have a 4th Grade American History text book here-maybe I will try that.

I would not do separate phonics and spelling. I would go with a program that combines the two.

His spelling is Phonics based, but since he is so advanced in some areas, it is nice to have a phonics program to instill those rules. Combined phonics and spelling takes an average of 30 minutes a day.

*I want to add that just because I do not like many, if any, of the WTM recs/books I do like this forum and it is the only homeschooling forum I have been able to find that is active and helpful.

My son has SPD as well. We do about 14 hours per week, but we only do 2 hours a day every day. We did it through summer as well. We take days off when necessary or when we feel like it. This is our first year homeschooling but we plan to continue the same way. It allows us to take our time and not stress if can't do school one day. I don't think we need/want to take weeks or months off for breaks or summer. Because we only do a couple of hours each day, there's no strain and everyone is really enjoying our time with lessons. Dad and I share homeschooling responsibilities.

My son is up between 6:30 and 7:00. We start school at 7:30 (weekends we may start a little later as he gets some free play time in the morning) and we are always done by 10:30 or 11 (obviously we take breaks when needed). It's awesome to have the rest of the day free when we're done so early. We still do read alouds throughout the afternoon and play a lot of math or logic games in the evenings.

J could not comprehend the audio book we attempted to listen to. He has to sit still and be read paragraph by paragraph sometimes sentance by sentance to comprehend the story.

Does he comprehend better when he reads for himself? Maybe auditory learning isn't his forte. Of course that's something you will want to work on over time, but you may not be critical right this minute if you can identify that he has good reading comprehension.

I realize you're resistant to the cuts - but in 1st grade, we never spent more than about an hour on bookish-academics. Of course, we added science experiments, mural coloring, and bedtime reading, but even that didn't amount to more than maybe another 45 minutes or so.

My younger son also needed breaks - he's got all the "dys"s. We did no languages, no seperate spelling, history was all just fun books that we choose at the library. PS's really do no science and history worth mentioning until middle school around here - so what we did from 3rd on was far more intensive than the schools- and my sons were old enough to get a lor more out of it. I mean - don't get me wrong - they loved to read little books about pyramids and such - but that was pretty much the extent of it (and I am a history major).

Still - even with such a light schedule in 1st grade (and 2nd), my sons are currently WAY ahead of the PS's in every subject.

I think perspective is what your DH is asking of you, more than anything else. Your son will only be 6, 7, 8 for such a short time. Perhaps your DH believes he needs more dirt under his toes, more play doh in his hair, and more time to just build blocks.

Studies have shown that until the age of about 8, kids learn more from things like blocks and sand than they do from books. There is more to education than what is learned in a classroom (or in our cases, a dining room).

I do understand where you are coming from, though. There is such a tremedous amount of pressure placed on us moms who homeschool our kids. Everyone (stereotypically) thinks they get behind, and so we try to make sure they are ahead! Also - the burden of being the only source of education for our children can be downright terrifying. What if we do the wrong thing!!!????

I don't think anyone here is trying to criticize your choices, or minimize the importance of academics, but there may be a middle ground you can find. Harmony between you and DH is important, and as you have a son - it will get even more important as he gets older. Even though you are "in charge" of his education - your DH still needs and deserves some say in how he spends his day.

Hmm, my kids are all older than yours now... but also masters of wasting time. I do not - even for my just turned eight year old - consider the time that it takes them to finish the work I have assigned into consideration UNLESS I am convinced they were on task and doing their very best for the duration. My kids are masters of wasting time and will wait me out if they can get done by doing so. If they are still working when DH gets home, he does ask why, and if the explanation given is that they haven't finished their assigned work, he just nods and accepts my judgment that that is because they did not make the effort. In his work, he needs to stay until things are done, if that takes until midnight, well then he stays until midnight. He, and the entire team that works for him, are exempt management, which means no overtime pay. They all try to be done at a reasonable hour, but if things go wrong, well they stay until its fixed, with the business paying for a hotel room if they are there so late they feel its unsafe to drive home due to tiredness. So, he is on board with the idea that his kids should work until they are done, and trusts me to set their workloads such that they can be done in a reasonable amount of time if they choose to apply themselves. When I worked, it was the same; things needed doing, and you stayed as long as was necessary to do them.

As long as the workload itself is reasonable, I don't see what time you finish at as relevant and would be concerned with giving a child the power to just wait out their time in order to get done. When mine were in public school, they did that all the time...and the work was sent home for me to somehow get done in the evening.

Not going to happen. I am not going to take something away from J that he actually *enjoys*. I do not like many of the WTM recs/books, if you couldn't tell already ;) I haven't liked WWE, FLL or SOTW nor do I see the "need" for latin.

J could not comprehend the audio book we attempted to listen to. He has to sit still and be read paragraph by paragraph sometimes sentance by sentance to comprehend the story. Even if we dropped SOTW, we would have to add in some other program for comprehension or spend more time on another subject.

I again will not cut ASL and Spanish. I don't see how 20minutes a day is hurting him. HE asks for these subjects, I can't see telling a child "no" when they *ask* for things such as this.

And on Tuesdays/Thursdays, yes we literally school until 5 minutes before time to leave.

Spelling *never* takes 30 minutes :) It is Math that has been taking our time. We have recently switched from Saxon to MUS, so crossing our fingers that Math takes much less time. We haven't started MUS yet as we have almost a 2wk break coming up. This was an un-expected break. And of course SOTW since we are using it as comprehension. If J doesn't show intrests in ancients, I do have a 4th Grade American History text book here-maybe I will try that.

If you are unwilling to cut anything, you might consider a loop schedule. At least that way you could get done what you want to do and accomodate dh at the same time.

(very gently)

Mama,

I know that you want to do the BEST things for your ds. I know you want to be in agreement with your DH. What I don't see, and consistently don't see in your posts, is a willingness to change anything about what you're doing. You have several times posted questions like this one, but then reject the suggestions people offer you. Which is, of course, your prerogative. But it's hard to help someone who doesn't appear to be open to compromise.

Here, you say, "DH wants us to do X. X doesn't work in our homeschool, for reason Y. What can I do about it?" But when people say "relax your expectations slightly," or "change your schedule," or "drop this/that/the other subject," your response is always a reason why none of these choices are something you'd consider an option. Again, this is your prerogative. But, if you don't want to change anything, why ask for help? What is it you want from us? If you're just looking to vent, just tell us, and then we can sympathize with you, and stop trying to give you solutions. :)

(very gently)

Mama,

I know that you want to do the BEST things for your ds. I know you want to be in agreement with your DH. What I don't see, and consistently don't see in your posts, is a willingness to change anything about what you're doing. You have several times posted questions like this one, but then reject the suggestions people offer you. Which is, of course, your prerogative. But it's hard to help someone who doesn't appear to be open to compromise.

Here, you say, "DH wants us to do X. X doesn't work in our homeschool, for reason Y. What can I do about it?" But when people say "relax your expectations slightly," or "change your schedule," or "drop this/that/the other subject," your response is always a reason why none of these choices are something you'd consider an option. Again, this is your prerogative. But, if you don't want to change anything, why ask for help? What is it you want from us? If you're just looking to vent, just tell us, and then we can sympathize with you, and stop trying to give you solutions. :)

:iagree:

I want to know *how* I am to school *only* in the mornings (minus our Spanish and ASL which is NOT going anywhere) when I have a SN child that does not fit the "mold". How am I to keep him on track and not have a child that is schooling 7 days a week if I am to only school in the morning?

I *can't* change our schedule, it is what it is. I have to work around it and DH is going to have to accept that some days will be finished in the afternoons.

Minus our languages (which I know a lot of you do latin and would never drop it) which take a whole 20 minutes a day-what would YOU drop? Remeber, I HAVE to keep him on track with the states standards. I do not want my child to be behind grade level nor will I hear "he is a boy let him be" He is almost SEVEN! He does have free time, quite a bit of it as well.

SOTW is up for sale-not even going to attempt this anymore. J hates it, I frankly do not like it and we shall do *something* for history/reading comprehension.

I just don't know how to school only in the mornings without getting a very stressed out child because "we have to finish before lunch".

I want to know *how* I am to school *only* in the mornings (minus our Spanish and ASL which is NOT going anywhere) when I have a SN child that does not fit the "mold". How am I to keep him on track and not have a child that is schooling 7 days a week if I am to only school in the morning?

I *can't* change our schedule, it is what it is. I have to work around it and DH is going to have to accept that some days will be finished in the afternoons.

Minus our languages (which I know a lot of you do latin and would never drop it) which take a whole 20 minutes a day-what would YOU drop? Remeber, I HAVE to keep him on track with the states standards. I do not want my child to be behind grade level nor will I hear "he is a boy let him be" He is almost SEVEN! He does have free time, quite a bit of it as well.

SOTW is up for sale-not even going to attempt this anymore. J hates it, I frankly do not like it and we shall do *something* for history/reading comprehension.

I just don't know how to school only in the mornings without getting a very stressed out child because "we have to finish before lunch".

Right. This is not a scheduling issue, it's an issue between you and your husband.

Caps look like shouting, and so I almost just decided to leave it. But I hate to see this thread end in such an irritated tone. I agree - if you just wanted our :grouphug: and support, please don't ask for advice. Women love to give advice, so if you ask - you're going to get a lot of different opinions, and there will be many you will disagree with. Homeschoolers are notorious for giving opinions on education - hence the boards here....

You haven't given anyone here a lot to work with - as far as WHY your DH wants you to cut back - so we're all just sorta guessing and hoping something helps. No one was being disrespectful to your choices, just trying to think of alternatives that might work.

I think we all can relate to trying to juggle schedules, and also with working with our DH's who may not understand what we are doing all day. We also (many of us by looking at the ages of the kids) have been where you are - and when you say "He's ALMOST 7", I have to admit - I kinda chuckled. Yeah - he's almost 7..... you have a ton of time! Now - if he was "almost in high school!" - well - yeah - go ahead and panic.

I think maybe many of us have very different philosophies on schooling - I was almost Waldorf-y when the kids were younger. I'm not anymore - we bacame more and more academic as they got older. Perhaps that is what your husband wants for your son? You may be interrested in looking at what Waldorf-type education is all about.

You ask, "What would you drop?"

Personally, and I don't think you'll agree, in your situation I would drop Languages & Shurley English, and I would only do SOTW and Science one day a week each (maybe two if it would fit). In a previous thread you mentioned problems you were having with rest time/naps and over stimulation. Looking at your schedule - I honestly can't imagine doing all of that with a child who gets overly-stimulated (especially with everything else he does).

My son NEVER has "fit the mold" and I can relate to having to work around issues. Please know that many of us have had similar problems. Until he was in 5th grade we had two days of therapy a week (Occupational and Speech) that took us away from home 3 hours each time - and as with your son, I had to have him there at a really inconvenient time (10:30).

My son felt that therapy was an extension of school - and it was very hard work for him - so we only did math and some read-alouds on those days - otherwise he would have melted down. Some days it wore him out so much we did NO other school work. Once again - he's now a full grade level ahead of his peers...... So while it may have been frustrating for me at the time in many ways - it all came out in the wash.

When my kids were your son's age - I thought they were so grown up! They were big kids, and at times I think I expected way too much of them! My bad.... Anyway - now I look at 7 year olds and they are such cute little kids! So young.... I miss that age so much.

The Shurley English is to keep him on track with state standards-that can't be dropped.

Languages-he asks for and it only takes 20 minutes out of our day. On Tuesdays/Thursdays we do them at the allergist office :)

SOTW is no more. J :D when I told him I was selling it.

Why I stated he is almost 7 is because *I* feel that a child of that age sholud be doing sctructured work. 7 is compulsary age for school here, even if I felt that he wasn't "ready" (which is sooo far from the truth!) I couldn't just "let him be".

Science will be completed only once or twice a week-that is actually how our program is layed out.

Sometimes I feel that since I do not many of the WTM recs that I am not "doing right" by many on this board. Then there are others whom greet me with open arms. Homeschoolers are a different breed, no one is like the other. Sometimes I feel, not only in my postings but in others, that the poster is looked down upon because they do not follow the WTM.

I want homeschooling to work, and so far it is, but DH just feels that no matter what things should be accomplished in the morning. Obviously it is not possible for us and others as I have seen. I wanted to make sure that I how we were accomplishing school was not "wrong" like DH thought it was.

Sometimes I feel that since I do not many of the WTM recs that I am not "doing right" by many on this board. Then there are others whom greet me with open arms. Homeschoolers are a different breed, no one is like the other. Sometimes I feel, not only in my postings but in others, that the poster is looked down upon because they do not follow the WTM.

LOL - I've never even read the WTM book! I always look at the Rainbow Resource catalog and panic that I am not doing enough - and some of the signatures on these boards (with the lists of curriculum) make me break out in a cold sweat. I can relate.

The Shurley English is to keep him on track with state standards-that can't be dropped.

Languages-he asks for and it only takes 20 minutes out of our day. On Tuesdays/Thursdays we do them at the allergist office :)

SOTW is no more. J :D when I told him I was selling it.

Why I stated he is almost 7 is because *I* feel that a child of that age sholud be doing sctructured work. 7 is compulsary age for school here, even if I felt that he wasn't "ready" (which is sooo far from the truth!) I couldn't just "let him be".

Science will be completed only once or twice a week-that is actually how our program is layed out.

I want homeschooling to work, and so far it is, but DH just feels that no matter what things should be accomplished in the morning. Obviously it is not possible for us and others as I have seen. I wanted to make sure that I how we were accomplishing school was not "wrong" like DH thought it was.

I think very few of us on these boards follow WTM as written. And I've never noticed anyone looking down on a poster because she isn't following WTM. There are tons of people here who are way more "un-WTM" than you.

Anyway - now I look at 7 year olds and they are such cute little kids! So young.... I miss that age so much.

I was thinking this, too. I have such happy, happy memories of snuggling up on the couch and reading all afternoon, or playing legos and listening to books-on-tape. Those were some of the best days of my life. Honestly, those happy memories have really carried me through the difficult stages of homeschooling my now middle-schooler.

LOL - I've never even read the WTM book! I always look at the Rainbow Resource catalog and panic that I am not doing enough - and some of the signatures on these boards (with the lists of curriculum) make me break out in a cold sweat. I can relate.

I too look at them and think "how on EARTH" do they finish that within 2-3hrs?! It does make me feel I am not doing "enough" with J but then see what we *are* doing and that more often than not, he is enjoying what he is doing. I :001_huh: when I see some of the siggys.

Do you school year round? How long have you been working with this schedule?

Is testing required in your state? Could you drop formal grammar for now and play Mad Libs at your Tuesday/Thursday appointments?

One option would be doing languages two or three days during the week and on the weekend. You'd have your four or five days a week, but only one of these would be a regular school day.

But this also means he'd only just be going into first grade if he were going to a brick and mortar school. I don't think it's an unreasonable request that you pare down your schedule to be mornings only. At the core, you only need reading, math, and some handwriting. Copywork or spelling can be integrated with the handwriting. Read alouds need not count as "school."

• Reading four or five days a week (cap the time, don't count pages)
  • Math four days a week
  • Writing three or four days a week
  • Languages -- two or three days a week, plus weekends
  • Read alouds -- frequent :) You can integrate history, science, quality literature

I'd start with this and add in other subjects only as you are both able.

Formal science is something that can be dropped completely in favour of read alouds (and hands on out-and-about study) until 3rd or 4th grade. Edited by nmoira
spelling

I too look at them and think "how on EARTH" do they finish that within 2-3hrs?! It does make me feel I am not doing "enough" with J but then see what we *are* doing and that more often than not, he is enjoying what he is doing. I :001_huh: when I see some of the siggys.
It depends entirely on the child. DD the Elder's schedule at 6 was far more robust than that of her sister's now, but didn't take more time. I just give them what they need and meet them where they are. Edited by nmoira

I too look at them and think "how on EARTH" do they finish that within 2-3hrs?!

I'm not sure if my curriculum line up qualifies as cold sweat inducing, but I can tell you that the way we finished in 2-3 hours in grades 1 and 2 was to not take any breaks. Instead of breaks, I alternate tasks between difficult and easy or objectionable and "fun," so that the tasks themselves provide a break. I also save the less mind intensive tasks for the end.

I would base my opinion on whether my child was successful with my school plan based on my child. Is he learning, does he enjoy the majority of his day, do you enjoy the majority of your day with him? If your husband does not truly understand your son's sensory needs combined with your desire to keep him on gradel-level than his perspective to me is not as valuable as yours. As long as you are meeting your son's needs for learning and downtime, your husband may just need more education from you. Base your success more on your gut feeling and your son's well-being. If he was in public school he would be alot more stessed with alot less learning. There are also alot of ways to combine his sensory diet with the learning activities instead of learning than a break. Math can involve a moving game, crunchy snack during reading time, etc... I understand your desire to keep your child from falling behind.

I'm not sure if my curriculum line up qualifies as cold sweat inducing, but I can tell you that the way we finished in 2-3 hours in grades 1 and 2 was to not take any breaks. Instead of breaks, I alternate tasks between difficult and easy or objectionable and "fun," so that the tasks themselves provide a break. I also save the less mind intensive tasks for the end.

I wish we could do this. J *has* to have a break otherwise it is meltdown mode.

I would base my opinion on whether my child was successful with my school plan based on my child. Is he learning, does he enjoy the majority of his day, do you enjoy the majority of your day with him? If your husband does not truly understand your son's sensory needs combined with your desire to keep him on gradel-level than his perspective to me is not as valuable as yours. As long as you are meeting your son's needs for learning and downtime, your husband may just need more education from you. Base your success more on your gut feeling and your son's well-being. If he was in public school he would be alot more stessed with alot less learning. There are also alot of ways to combine his sensory diet with the learning activities instead of learning than a break. Math can involve a moving game, crunchy snack during reading time, etc... I understand your desire to keep your child from falling behind.

J does enjoy his day, for the most part ;) Handwritting is not fun for him due to his fine motor delays, but he has to do it and he knows that. The crunchy snack during reading time doesn't work-he focuses on the snack and not enough on the task at hand.

Do you school year round? How long have you been working with this schedule?

We have only begun on this journey. We started mid-June only to school for about 2wks then J get sick and stay sick until July. We started with one subject then slowly added in others.

Is testing required in your state? Could you drop formal grammar for now and play Mad Libs at your Tuesday/Thursday appointments?

I don't feel Mad Libs is teacing enough at this age. We actually *just* purchased Shurley English and have not formally introduced it. J is very excited about this when he saw the jingles CD. While we are setting at the allergist office we do our ASL and Spanish :) OT is literally he gets there and is back there for 45 minutes. This is "me" time then ;) Testing is not required in my state but if J would ever go back to school, he has to be on grade level. DH wants to place J back into conventional school at junior high age-I have said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Why? Because he thinks it will be "too hard". He must forget that I did go to college and worked as a nurse for years.

One option would be doing languages two or three days during the week and on the weekend. You'd have your four or five days a week, but only one of these would be a regular school day.

I have thought about this, but J enjoys them so much I do not want to take that away from him.

But this also means he'd only just be going into first grade if he were going to a brick and mortar school. I don't think it's an unreasonable request that you pare down your schedule to be mornings only. At the core, you only need reading, math, and some handwriting. Copywork or spelling can be integrated with the handwriting. Read alouds need not count as "school."

• Reading four or five days a week (cap the time, don't count pages)
  • Math four days a week
  • Writing three or four days a week
  • Languages -- two or three days a week, plus weekends
  • Read alouds -- frequent :) You can integrate history, science, quality literature

I'd start with this and add in other subjects only as you are both able.

Formal science is something that can be dropped completely in favour of read alouds (and hands on out-and-about study) until 3rd or 4th grade.

Science, as stated before, is something J has asked for. He asks me *everyday* "are we starting science today?" We will start the beginning of next month since these next 2wks are going to be sore and busy.

I really think you could drop the spelling until you are done with phonics and you could also drop the grammar. From what I understand, grammar is no longer a big focus in the school system and if it is, the same stuff is covered year after year. You have already stated you don't want to drop the extras, so I won't go there.

I have a special needs son myself so I understand the pressure to want to help your child do well. I really overdid it with my own son in K and 1st grade and took him from being a child who loved to learn to a child who hated school. I thought that everything I was doing with him was absolutely necessary and I felt like we needed to work twice as hard to overcome his disabilities. I look back on that time now with nothing but regret.

I learned my lesson with my daughter and she probably did at the most 1 1/2 hours of seatwork a day and then I read our SL core to her in first grade. If I had to do it again, I would have done a much lighter schedule with my son. He takes longer to do his work so he wouldn't have been finished as quickly as my daughter, but he could have easily been done by lunch. Even with my son now going into 5th grade, he is able to get all his work done by noon and then I read our SL core at lunch. Sometimes more is not better.

How does your child feel about school? Is he happy with the workload? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know you have additional pressure in that you are considering having him return to public school.

Lisa

The phonics is only to introduce new rules, nothing more, nothing less. We are pretty much done with it :) Grammar is listed as a state standard, therefore it is needed. J is a natural speller-he actually enjoys it!

I really think you could drop the spelling until you are done with phonics and you could also drop the grammar. From what I understand, grammar is no longer a big focus in the school system and if it is, the same stuff is covered year after year. You have already stated you don't want to drop the extras, so I won't go there.

How does your child feel about school? Is he happy with the workload? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know you have additional pressure in that you are considering having him return to public school.

Lisa

J really adores school-for the most part ;) Handwritting is not fun, but he does it. he would hate school if I took the languages and science out however. If I have it my way we will homeschool thru high school, DH though wants to send him back in middle school.