Menu

Montana's sex education curriculum?

That is WOW for all of the kids to be taught this. 5th grade knowing all of the ways... http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jAy-JJPm2NGeA50Lero_jsfgAFkQD9GUU9L80

I teach my children the proper anatomical words and answer any of their questions honestly. BUT I do not want someone else teaching them NOR do I want them to be put into a situation where they would have this much knowledge at 5th grade. :confused:

The main hot button issues seem to be:

Teaching kindergarteners proper anatomical terms - I'm fine with this, they should know the proper terms.

Teaching first graders that relationships between two men or two women exist - I don't have a problem with this. There not giving details, just that such a thing exists.

Teaching fifth graders the different ways it's possible to have sex - I think with so many kids thinking oral sex is not sex and can't lead to disease that this type of education is necessary. I think 10/11 years old may be a little young. Junior high would be more appropriate IMO although one article did say that there isn't any sex education program for the Junior High.

Parents have the option to opt-out which is appropriate IMO.

Teaching fifth graders the different ways it's possible to have sex - I think with so many kids thinking oral sex is not sex and can't lead to disease that this type of education is necessary. I think 10/11 years old may be a little young. Junior high would be more appropriate IMO although one article did say that there isn't any sex education program for the Junior High.

This needs to start in 5th grade because that's when some of the kids are hitting puberty and some are already engaging in sexual activities by 6th grade. :(

Frankly, I would be quite skeptical of the content presented in the article, particularly since, if Montana's papers are like those in my state, all information except maybe the weather is usually so absurdly exaggerated as to be unreadable. Actual links to actual content. That's what I'd need to see before forming any kind of judgment.

This needs to start in 5th grade because that's when some of the kids are hitting puberty and some are already engaging in sexual activities by 6th grade. :(

As much as I hate to think about it, you're right. :( I hit puberty at 9, in fourth grade. My oldest was 11. My dd has a friend who was pregnant at 14.

I agree... 12 years ago when I was teaching seventh grade, I had a student who was pregnant with her second child. She got pregnant the first time the summer after fifth grade. There were several other pregnancy scares that year and a few other pregnancies/abortions.

When I taught fifth grade, about half the girls were fully into puberty and maybe a quarter of the boys. I'd estimate that probably 20% of the girls were sexually active.

ETA: This was a small town school.

Parents have the option to opt-out which is appropriate IMO.

That certainly is good to have as an option, but what is your daughter going to learn from all of her friends who just sat through that class?

Someone else posted that they were a teacher and 20% of the girls were sexually active. In that case I am sure that there needs to be a good education class. And in that case I would be for passing out condoms. If 20% of the girls are sexually active then I am sure that there is a very small percentage of the class who has not been educated fully by their friends.

Where are the parents? These are just children. My daughter who is just going into 5th grade still has dolls that she treasures. She is very mothering but I just can not imagine her being put into an atmosphere where this is the norm. Sad... :confused: My daughter asks a lot of questions of course and I answer them honestly, but she has no need to know how many ways to have intercourse...

Frankly, I would be quite skeptical of the content presented in the article, particularly since, if Montana's papers are like those in my state, all information except maybe the weather is usually so absurdly exaggerated as to be unreadable. Actual links to actual content. That's what I'd need to see before forming any kind of judgment.

:iagree:What happens to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders in health class? The "news" sites only list Ker, 1st and 5th grades.

This is a hot button topic in many states, and from what little bit I read from a search it seems exaggerated and sensational.

For the record, I don't agree with sex ed in the schools but I can see how it is needed in some cases. Since PS needs to teach to the lowest common denominator all PS kids will get some type of sex ed.

This is just one more reason that we homeschool.

That certainly is good to have as an option, but what is your daughter going to learn from all of her friends who just sat through that class?

My daughter learned what they taught in the schools since I would not (and did not) opt to remove her from the class. I also discussed many, many things with her at home.

Whether schools teach sex ed or not there will be kids learning things from their peers. I'd rather kids learn from peers that at least have accurate information, rather than peers who believe a bunch of crap.

My daughter learned what they taught in the schools since I would not (and did not) opt to remove her from the class. I also discussed many, many things with her at home.

Whether schools teach sex ed or not there will be kids learning things from their peers. I'd rather kids learn from peers that at least have accurate information, rather than peers who believe a bunch of crap.

One of my more vivid moments of elementary school was being in fourth grade science and having the worst kid in class take advantage of the two minutes the teacher stepped out of the room to write on the chalkboard, "Mrs. X gives Mr. Y [the history teacher] a b*** j**."

Foolishly, I asked him what that was. He explained, acting as if I was the world's greatest idiot for not knowing. Technically he was correct, though vulgar, in his explanation. That said, though, I would have preferred learning that particular bit of information from a book or a teacher or a parent, not from that idiot.

Just for the record, this happened back in the "good old days" in a nice school and an upper-middle-class neighborhood.

Edited by Charles Wallace

Much depends on how it's actually taught, of course. But I have no problem with the standards as written.

I think people are imagining something really lurid, like showing pictures from the Kama Sutra. In reality, I expect that the lessons will simply explain that "intercourse" can mean vaginal, oral, or anal intercourse, and that kids shouldn't do any of them. Seriously, when you hear about girls having anal sex to preserve their virginity, this is a much-needed piece of education.

Of course the media is feeding the flames because controversy = ratings, and "kids and sex!!!" is sure to bring in plenty of viewers.

Seriously, when you hear about girls having anal sex to preserve their virginity, this is a much-needed piece of education.
:iagree:

Much depends on how it's actually taught, of course. But I have no problem with the standards as written.

I think people are imagining something really lurid, like showing pictures from the Kama Sutra. In reality, I expect that the lessons will simply explain that "intercourse" can mean vaginal, oral, or anal intercourse, and that kids shouldn't do any of them. Seriously, when you hear about girls having anal sex to preserve their virginity, this is a much-needed piece of education.

Of course the media is feeding the flames because controversy = ratings, and "kids and sex!!!" is sure to bring in plenty of viewers.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/georgia/

Huge spread of syphilis amongst middle/high school students...from oral sex, because they didn't realize that it a) was still sex and b) could spread the same diseases.

I don't have any religious/moral/philosophical objections, but I do have concerns about whether or not it does any good.

I'm all about the evidence. Has the curriculum been field tested and intended and unintended results measured? So many of these types of curricula turn out to be useless, at best, and sometimes they actually cause damage.

Years ago, there was a very extensive and expensive intervention for pregnant high school girls, designed to decrease rates of future pregnancy. When they actually looked at the impact, it turned out that the enrolled girls were getting pregnant again at higher rates than those not in the curriculum. Turns out putting a bunch of pregnant teenagers in a room together made them compete for having more babies. :confused:

Schools love to implement new curricula (think whole language and cr*ppy reform math) without bothering to find out whether it's actually effective. Unless it has actually been shown to be beneficial, I'd really rather they stick to actual teaching. If it really decreases rates of sexual activity, stds, and pregnancy, then I'm fine with it.

http://www.krtv.com/news/sex-education-focus-of-helena-school-board-meeting/

"It lays out sex education topics for each grade, K through 12. In the first grade, children would be taught that human beings can love people of the same gender; in second grade, kids are taught not to make fun of people by calling them "gay" or "queer." By fifth grade, they would be taught there are several types of intercourse, and by the sixth grade, the draft document states that students should, "Understand that sexual intercourse includes but is not limited to vaginal, oral, or anal penetration; using the penis, fingers, tongue or objects."

My mum worked as a para in an elementary school attached to a middle school and was shocked the first year to see several 5th and 6th graders pregnant and 5th and 6th graders having sex in the library/bleachers.

Sad as it may be this kind of detailed information may be necessary at this young age.

I agree... 12 years ago when I was teaching seventh grade, I had a student who was pregnant with her second child. She got pregnant the first time the summer after fifth grade. There were several other pregnancy scares that year and a few other pregnancies/abortions.

When I taught fifth grade, about half the girls were fully into puberty and maybe a quarter of the boys. I'd estimate that probably 20% of the girls were sexually active.

ETA: This was a small town school.

I have to admit I am shocked. I can't imagine this is even possible (I believe you, just in denial). I didn't even kiss a boy until mid-high school and I didn't do a lot of it after that either. :)

However, I did first hear about s%x in about first grade when some other boy was telling everyone about it on the playground. I definitely didn't hear of anyone actually doing it until in high school but I could have just not been listening correctly. :) I graduated in '90.