Menu

Kindergarten read alouds- What are your favorites?

I am looking for must read poetry and book read alouds for a kindergartner!

Right now I am just doing various poetry books from the library (havent gotten to the giving tree yet!) What would you consider a must for kindergarten read alouds (for boys!!!)?

Actually kindergarten and pre-k because I have a 4 and 5 year old son! Thanks

I would look at the different catalogs..

Veritas Press

Memoria Press

Sonlight

Winter's Promise

Five-in-a-Row books...

You can't go wrong there!

Two that haven't been mentioned...

The (A?) Family Under the Bridge

100 Dresses (yes, I know he is a boy...but, he might like it)

Lamplighter's Teddy's Button (excellent for boys)

The Hedge of Thorns

RC sprolls The Poison Cup

Have a Wonderful Year...the weather will be cooler soon. May will all be

snuggled on the couch with our dear ones reading!

My 6-yr old loves the Richard Scarry books (What Do People Do All Day? is an all-time favorite).

If you want non-fiction (my DS loves non-fiction more than anything else), the Usborne Beginners are good - specifically How Flowers Grow, Caterpillars & Butterflies, & Frogs & Tadpoles.

If you haven't read Eric Carle's Very Hungry Caterpillar, you should. I thought it was a pretty dorky little book until I read it out loud to my kids and unleashed the magic, and now we own a plush caterpillar and two copies of the book. Same with Mo Willems' Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! That book is a riot!

For longer books, DS enjoyed Stuart Little, James & the Giant Peach, My Father's Dragon, & The Mouse & the Motorcycle.

I've tried a lot of poetry, and very little of it held the kids' interest. Even Mother Goose was kind of creepy and strange. They do like the silly stuff though, like Shel Silverstein's Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook, and all the Dr. Seuss you can handle.

My boys also enjoy/enjoyed Richard Scarry and A. A. Milne. Here are a few others they've loved this year.

Verdi by Janell Cannon

Owl Babies by Martin Waddell

The Big Block of Chocolate by Janet Slater Redhead

Toot & Puddle series by Holly Hobbie

Mr. Putter & Tabby series by Cynthia Rylant

Tomie DePaola books

Pagoo by Holling C Holling

Thornton Burgess books

We are about to start Tumtum & Nutmeg by Emily Bearn.

I look at Sonlight suggestions and Ambleside Online.

:iagree:with the person who said James Harriot's Treasury for children and McCloskey. My children LOVE LOVE LOVE the 1st b/c it is ALL about animals! My dh is so sick of hearing McCloskey books being read (but that is all my kids want to hear these days) - he asked that I take them back to the library and not renew any more :tongue_smilie::)

Rhymes for Annie Rose by Shirley Hughes. In fact, any of her poetry books are wonderful

Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening by Frost

Barn Cat

Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear

Bear Snores On

Owl and the Pussy Cat

Thomas the Tank collection

Katy the Snowplow and the Big Snow

Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel

How to Bake an Apple Pie and See the World

Night of the Moon Jellies

Time of Wonder

Papa Piccolo

Stranger in the Woods

Snowflake Bentley

Going on a Bear Hunt

Barnyard Dance (and anything else by Sandra Boynton)

Guest aquiverfull

:bigear:

I'll also have a PreK (4 yr old) and K (5 year old) this fall. I planned on looking through the Sonlight catalog and using some of the read alouds listed under the Memoria Press K program on their website.

My Father's Dragon

Maroo of the Winter Caves

The First Dog

Blueberries for Sal

The Outside Cat and anything else by Jane Thayer

Anything by Dahlov Ipcar

Katie and the Big Snow

Charlotte's Web

Scranimals by Jack Prelutsky. This is not a well-known book here, but after about 50 readings, my non-poetic kid was quoting it regularly and 3 years later he still makes plays on words like in this book. He still mentions the porcupinapple and the rhinocerose.

Henry and Mudge

Mr. Putter

And Chipmunk Willie, which as some cheap editions used at Amazon right now! I finally gave away my copy to a cherished friend for her grandkids.

Edited by kalanamak

Chapter Books my K student enjoys:

*The Ralph S Mouse books

*Arthur chapter books (like the PBS show "Arthur")

*Science Readers - if you get the higher levels like 4, they are broken into chapters. I use these as read alouds since she only reads Level 1 books now.

*Charlotte's Web (next chapter book we will read)

*Stuart Little (after Charlotte's web)

*Ramona books

Picture Books:

*Various Bible story books

*Science Readers - Level 2 and 3

*mathy story books

*Arthur Readers

*Berenstain Bear Readers

*I'm also using the Peak With Books reading list for my read alouds for both girls.

*I also let her pick whatever books she wants at the library as read alouds. (15 limit though!!)

Edited by MissKNG

We aren't in K yet but I have my books together for K already :tongue_smilie:

My favs are:

Sonlight read alouds

Shel silverstein (giving tree, light in the attic, where the sidewalk ends)

If the world were a village

Book of stories and poems for boys ( I think it is an usborne book..)

Tons of Dr. suess

Eric carle books

Chapter Books my K student enjoys:

*The Ralph S Mouse books

*Arthur chapter books (like the PBS show "Arthur")

*Science Readers - if you get the higher levels like 4, they are broken into chapters. I use these as read alouds since she only reads Level 1 books now.

*Charlotte's Web (next chapter book we will read)

*Stuart Little (after Charlotte's web)

*Ramona books

Picture Books:

*Various Bible story books

*Science Readers - Level 2 and 3

*mathy story books

*Arthur Readers

*Berenstain Bear Readers

*I'm also using the Peak With Books reading list for my read alouds for both girls.

*I also let her pick whatever books she wants at the library as read alouds. (15 limit though!!)

We aren't in K yet but I have my books together for K already :tongue_smilie:

My favs are:

Sonlight read alouds

Shel silverstein (giving tree, light in the attic, where the sidewalk ends)

If the world were a village

Book of stories and poems for boys ( I think it is an usborne book..)

Tons of Dr. suess

Eric carle books

My boys have loved the following:

Farmer Boy

Little House in the Big Woods (and sequels)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The BFG

Peter Pan

Pinocchio

The Mouse and the Motorcycle (and sequels)

The Tale of Despereaux

Stuart Little

Charlotte's Web

These are what I was looking for! Thank you to all of you! Very excited!'

I am also taking many previous suggestions! I am making my list and checking it twice LOL

I recently compiled a big list of read alouds for my son this coming school year. He will be in first grade, but his listening skills are more like PK/K level. You can see the list here.

This is going to sound crazy....but I feel like a stalker. When I first decided to homeschool last year I knew nothing (I only know a little more than nothing now) and I typed eclectic homeschooling into Google and your blog came up. I am not much of a joiner and the only people I knew that homeschooled were also just starting, or were, how do I say this politely, different. So your blog was a life raft for me. I follow you and your family by reading your blog constantly and I didn't know you were also on this forum until I clicked on the above list and realized that I knew the 'list' well. So anyways I am not a stalker, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your sharing, and I bet there are plenty of others out there who silently lurk learning what we can and feeling less alone by people like you who actually blog about your experiences.

This is going to sound crazy....but I feel like a stalker. When I first decided to homeschool last year I knew nothing (I only know a little more than nothing now) and I typed eclectic homeschooling into Google and your blog came up. I am not much of a joiner and the only people I knew that homeschooled were also just starting, or were, how do I say this politely, different. So your blog was a life raft for me. I follow you and your family by reading your blog constantly and I didn't know you were also on this forum until I clicked on the above list and realized that I knew the 'list' well. So anyways I am not a stalker, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your sharing, and I bet there are plenty of others out there who silently lurk learning what we can and feeling less alone by people like you who actually blog about your experiences.

Wow :) It is nice to know the words I put out there are read by someone. Thank you for your comments:001_smile:

:grouphug: Very cool.

Good suggestions... I'll add...

The Jamie and Angus Stories by Anne Fine - I think this is the perfect first chapter read aloud book. So sweet. Though we started with the My Father's Dragon books, which got lots of mentions on here.

Also, for poetry for preK, I really like Read Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young, which was edited by Jack Prelutsky.