Menu

Chores...really?

What is on your kid's chore list? What are the ages of your kids?

This has come up a few times in my circle of friends and even yesterday at freshman orientation. They were encouraging parents to give their kids responsiblities at home such as cleaning their own rooms or helping fold clothes. Really, are there actually 14 yr olds that don't have chores already?

I am sure this will be excessive to some of you but we have a revolving list for our 8, 10, and 14 yr old. On MWF we steam clean the floors, scrub toilets and tubs, and dust. On the other days the list revolves around the kids requirring each kid to have to do each thing at some point during the week.On weekends, 14/10 mow and 8/4 weed flowers or clean truck. The list was actually created by my kids because they already knew what I expected when cleaning the house. I am proud to say that each of my kids can clean the house as well as I and are at times expected to do so. Every chore is listed leaving nothing for me but I help each one. With a house of 7 people with multiple activities, it is necessary. Mondays:soccer, judo, and football ranging from 5:30-8:00, Tuesday:soccer, piano, football 4:00-8:00, Wednesday:soccer, judo 5:30-8:00. Thursday:football 6:00-8:00, Friday: soccer, football 6:00-8:00, Sat. games in soccer (3 kids) games in football, Sunday afternoon games in soccer (1kid) PLUS occasional judo meet tossed in for good measure

Chore list example:

Tues:

Reload dw

Living Room and Foyer

Fold and put away clothes

Pool Bath

Feed Dogs

Start Dryer and Washer

Mom's Bath

Kitchen

Office

Sweep Patio/Pool

Gather Clothes

Unload DW

Help with 4yr old's Room

Take out garbage

Hall Bath

My kids are 6 and 7. They need to pick up their rooms everyday, throw their clothes down the chute, clear their dishes, help set the table, and generally clean up after themselves.

On Saturday morning we have a cleaning rotation of 4 jobs. Dh and I do more thorough jobs on our rotation, but the boys do the following:

Bathrooms (Clean Toilets and sinks, windex mirrors)

Living/Dining Room: Vacuum floors and dust furniture

Upstairs: Vacuum all floors and dust one room

Kitchen: Swiffer sweep and Swiffer mop floor, wash tables, wipe down appliances

We have a schedule and each person does a different job each week.

When my son was a Tiger Cub Scout (age 6), boys ages 6-9 in his group had to write down 4 chores that they would do for a month. The boys had a hard time thinking of chores, so I told them it was okay to write down chores they already did - the important part was doing them and tracking them for a month. The moms all laughed and told me that their kids didn't have regular chores. Meanwhile, my son felt that it was cheating to write "make bed" and "clean room" as chores since those are things that he thought people should just do; he thought chores were extra. He quickly thought of 4 things, but he was shocked that the other boys didn't have chores... and so was I. I thought all kids had chores. :tongue_smilie: Silly me. :D

To answer your question, our kids are 13, 12, 9, and 6. They each clean their rooms, make their beds, and wash, fold, and put away their laundry. Then they have weekly chores that rotate. These include washing dishes, setting the table, sweeping/ vacuuming/ mopping the house, scrubbing the bathrooms, dusting, emptying the trash cans, feeding the cat (plus they each have their own pets they are responsible for), wiping counters and appliances, and washing the front windows. I expect different levels of capability from each child and help them as they need it. They also help me out with other jobs as I ask them like cooking, cleaning the yard, washing the car, mowing the grass, etc. Some of these we pay for and some we don't. We have a bidding system for bigger, more involved jobs... lowest bidder wins.

I didn't have chores as a kid. I mean, I picked up my stuff but didn't really have chores. I do however have my kids, 8 and 5, make their beds, pick up their toys, clean their rooms, put their laundry in the laundry basket, feed the dog and take her out, help set/clear the table. We are slowly working in more. I do however now have some chores they can get paid for...the others are considered just stuff we do because we live here. ;)

I didn't have chores as a kid. I mean, I picked up my stuff but didn't really have chores.

Now that I think about it, I didn't really have regular chores either. Except weeding the flower garden... I hated weeding. :glare:

Now that I think about it, I didn't really have regular chores either. Except weeding the flower garden... I hated weeding. :glare:

When we were kids, weeding the gardens was the spring/summer punishment for bad behavior. Polishing silverware was the fall/winter equivalent. I'd love beautiful gardens now but I just HATE weeding. Wonder why....;)

I never really had chores as a kid either. I was responsible for keeping my room somewhat tidy, for putting my dirty laundry in the hamper, and really for helping out with anything I was asked to do. Not having assigned chores didn't seem to hurt me.

DS, 11, has to keep the clothes off his floor, put his dirty clothes in the hamper, keep his video games tidy, and help out when needed. He's a fairly eager helper, so we haven't done official chores with him. His main chore is to do well in school, and be a helper at home.

Nan

I helped clean house when I was a child. Doing dishes and laundry were two of my regular chores.

We have 4 boys ages 3-10.

They are expected to help clean their room, pick up toys, make their beds, put away clean laundry, bring dirty laundry to laundry room, and help take care of their dogs.

For the other things they do we pay them a commission ala DR. We pay about $.25 per chore and these are a few of the things on their list.

unload dishwasher

dust

sweep

mop

clean bathroom mirrors

clean bathroom sinks

vacuum

clean the car

help with yard work

My kids are responsible for keeping their kids clean. And the other main thing they have to do is fold and put away laundry. Laundry is the one thing that I cannot keep up with. I can wash and dry, but the folding and putting away gets the best of me. So I figure they can do it. And get this--they actually enjoy it...for now. :)

They also help out with cleaning the bathrooms, dusting, dishes, outside work, taking care of the animals, and other things. We don't have a schedule; we are more of "when it needs to be cleaned, clean it" family. It works for us.

I had no chores as a kid. I remember sometimes making my bed, but if I was running late in the morning, my mother made it. I don't remember that happening when I was a teenager, but when I was about 8 or 9.

I was briefly asked to take out the kitchen trash every evening when I was about 12, but that didn't last very long, and it's the only regular chore I remember.

I had never done laundry, mopped a floor, or cleaned a toilet when I was 18 and left for college. I say this not with pride, but astonishment. When I was 20 I ran my parents' dishwasher when I was home from college and they were out, and I got suds all over the floor because I put in liquid dish soap.

I thought for years as an adult that this was a highly unusual way to be raised, but from what I've read on message boards, it may not be as unusual as I thought.

Oh -- but to answer your question -- my girls make their bed every morning.

About once a month they strip their sheets, I wash them, and they put them back on.

They sort and put away their laundry, and their little brother's (and get him involved a little).

My seven year old mops the kitchen floor a couple times a month and feeds her fish daily.

My nine year old unloads the dishwasher every morning, sweeps the steps a couple times a month, and feeds the cat.

They all help clear the table after a meal.

They help put away groceries.

Jenny

I didn't have chores as a kid. My mom complained a lot about my messy room, but she never taught me how to clean or organize it and it stayed a mess. I managed to learn to keep a clean house on my own as an adult, but I'm sure my college roommates were not impressed with my housekeeping skills.

My kids are expected to keep their rooms clean and do all their own laundry. The girls have their own bathroom and ds has his, and they are all responsible for keeping them clean. Ds does a good job with that, the girls -- not so much. They mow and shovel snow. They help with household chores (washing windows, vacuuming, setting the table, etc.) when I ask but they don't have specific set chores.

They do far more than I did when I was a kid.

Our kids are 6, (almost) 3, and (almost) 1.5 . All 3 of them are asked to pick up their toys before naps and before Daddy comes home. They help clear the table after meals (yes, even the baby), and keep their rooms tidy.

DD6 has the following chores:

keep room clean

water her herb/strawberry garden

put away her laundry

DS3 has the following chores:

keep room clean

help put away laundry

"help" Daddy with mowing the lawn, car stuff, and any other projects

The 2 older kids are responsible for getting eggs from our chickens every day, checking on their food and water, etc. They also help us daily in the vegetable garden.

They also help when I do my cleaning (Flylady style).

Boo's (6) general list:

Make her bed every morning (except Sunday, since I change sheets and just automatically remake it).

Feed the cats

Help clear table (she would set the table, but we're more casual and tend to just prepare our plates in the kitchen and everyonw just grabs their own silverware out of the drawer).

Put away her clothes into her drawers (her closet is too high for her to hang at this point, so I do it.)

Brush her teeth without fight

Not throw temper tamtrums

(these two are things that go on her list because they are behaviors she needs to work on.)

There are things she asks to do sometimes, but I have not required as of yet - being FORCED to do things was a sore point of my childhood and I would like to keep encouraging helpfulness - and not lose her helpfulness by forcing the issue (plus she's still learning to to these things without me having to do it after her):

Swiftering/Swift mopping the floor

Scrubbing dishes

Wipe sink/counter after brushing teeth

We have started giving her $2 a week this summer. She is saving for a Webkins to reactivate her expired account.

Edited by piraterose

I never had chores as a child, therefore my ds has chores. :) He does some chores throughout the week, others are weekend only.

Unload dishwashwer

Get trash

clean bathroom counters and mirrors

Clean all glass throughout house

vacuum carpets (we have hard floors, he is only required to do the carpets)

help Dad in the yard

Things he does just because:

put away laundry or help with laundry

load dishwasher

help with dinner

clean up after dinner

pick up his room

pick up in living room

help with pet care

get mail

bring trash can in from curb after they pickup

pick up school room

As children, we took turns doing the dishes and we each helped out during family cleaning days... usually with a fun activity after the house was nice and clean.

I just re-did our morning and afternoon schedule to this:

Before you get to breakfast you must:

have made your bed

dressed yourself and put your things away

put your shoes on

After breakfast:

one son feeds all pets

one son does dishes

one son cleans the table, counters and sweeps

one son cleans the bathroom

In the afternoon:

15 minutes with mom... follow mom around room to room and do whatever she asks you to do... with mom happily working beside you.

Dinner rule: If you help cook, you don't do dishes

After dinner:

one child does dishes

one does table, counters and sweeping

one takes out trash and recycling, helps with laundry

one wipes down the bathroom

So, 4 boys, ages 11-13 are very helpful here. I wrote down which boy does what chore and they get the chore for a month, then they rotate. I am very impressed with how once I teach them to do a job "properly", they catch on and it makes life so much nicer. Since we have the bathroom getting "cleaned" twice a day, I am no longer mortified if someone stops in and needs to use the bathroom (4 boys... I don't need to explain, right?):D

My 9 y/o does not have assigned chores, chore lists, chore charts or anything like that.

With that said, whenever I want or need her help with something specific, I ask her to do it, and she does. It's very easy!

Some of the things I may ask her to help with at any given time are:

setting/clearing the table (most days)

putting away the silverware from the dishwasher (most days)

doing general picking up, particularly of toys, in the living room (most days)

putting away her own laundry (always!) and sometimes her little brother's

sweeping the kitchen floor (once in a while, other times I do it myself)

vacuuming the living room (once in a while, other times I do it myself)

cleaning her own room (when I think it's getting too ridiculous)

taking out the garbage and putting a new bag into the can (often).

Sometimes she'll ask me if she can clean the windows, mirror, etc, and I'll say sure. Sometimes she'll start sweeping off the front porch on her own.

I just haven't really found a need to tell her she has specific, assigned, regular chores. I find it easy enough to just ask my family for help on an as-needed and age appropriate basis, and we get done what needs to be done between us. Works for me!

Our kids have a few set chores, but are expected to help out whenever asked.

Elle cleans the upstairs bathroom and helps to set and clear the dinner table.

Mac dusts and helps to set and clear the dinner table.

Our college student does the dishes, sweeps/mops the floors and cleans the downstairs bathroom.

They all keep their rooms clean and their things picked up around the house. And they all help with the laundry and the yard work.

We have chore charts that are to be completed each day or as needed. At first I thought making their bed and tidy their room was to be done daily as part of being in the family and I still agree but it's easiest to be put on the chore chart so they can remember to get it completed in order to get extra tv time or such things. Here's the breakdown.

I have chores on Index Cards. At the beginning of the week my 2 oldest pick out 4 cards and they are to do those chores that entire week along with keeping their room tidy and making their bed.

Chore Cards are:

• Fold Towels
  • Empty/Refill Bathroom Trash
  • Feed Dogs
  • Give Dogs Water
  • Dust
  • Vac Hallway
  • Set Dinner Table
  • Help Mama Put Dishes Away
  • Sweep Entry-way
  • Gather Laundry

We have coupons that they get to pick from when they complete one week of chores. The coupons are for a $5 toy, ice cream treat, go visit the pet store..ect...

Oh and the usually are to put their own laundry away but that had to come to a hault because there is NO more room in their drawers until I go through their laundry and having them hang up laundry is a bit more challenging.

As a child I had a lot of chores. My brother had two. Take out garbage and mow....neither of which he did very much.

My mom is silently horrified that my boys do chores in the house. They're boys! Why am I requiring them to do housework? Tsk tsk.

My 9 and 6 yr old daily:

Put away dishes

feed pets

clean up toys and their school work/supplies

set and clear table (this includes wiping table)

wipe kitchen counters

make breakfast and lunch

When needed:

help fold and put away laundry

vacuum/spot mop

clean bathrooms

dust

clean walls/doors

take out trash

Oh, forgot to add that my dh did zero housework as a child/teen. The first time he ever did laundry, cooked, cleaned was when he moved out at 18.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

My kids keep their rooms clean, put away their clean clothes and put their dishes in the dishwasher. They clean out the car, bring in groceries and set the dinner table. They will also help me with a big project (like decluttering the playroom) very willingly if I ask them to.

Really, I'd like them to have more chores and I suspect they will when they get older, but we are so busy between school and activities, I would prefer them to use their free time to play.

I never had chores growing up and if my mother ever asked me to help her with anything, I gave her a terrible attitude. I don't know what I was thinking -- or her either for that matter. My kids are usually very compliant about helping me and I really appreciate that.

Lisa

We do not have a set list for each day. They do whatever they are asked to do. We ask them to put away dishes, clear/set the table, fold and put away laundry, clean their rooms, pick up areas, dd cleans their bathroom some, etc.

We have been thinking about doing some kind of reward for them doing things without being asked. We have down them being compliant and at least not expressing a bad attitude about having to help. Helping on their own is the next goal.