Menu

Severely vitamin D deficient

Hi Everyone,

I know I've seen stuff here and there about vitamin D recently but I've never really paid attention.

I just had a ton of lab work done and one of the tests was my vitamin D level. According to my dr., I'm "severely deficient." She actually recommends a prescription strength supplement.

Can someone point me in the right direction with regards to dealing with this? What types of things does it impact? What might be some connections with other things going on in my body? Etc.

I'm dealing with extreme fatigue due to (I'm pretty sure) another new medication (that I'm going to tell my dr. I can't handle if it makes me this tired) and can hardly think straight to sort out the vitamin D thing.

TIA for any input you can give me.:)

I just found out the same thing yesterday. I actually had no idea that the doc even tested for that, but anyway I guess I am glad that he did. He told me that low D could explain my fatigue and my pain. He gave me a script for 50,000IUs of D once a week for 6 weeks, so we shall see what comes of that.

I will be watching this thread too.

Low Vitamin D can and does often cause fatigue, pain, and likely increases risk of some serious health impacts. But instead of focusing on that (as you can't do anything about the past) focus on aggressively correcting your level.

Since you're fatigued and foggy here are my bullet points but the vitamin D council website is a wealth of information should you want more specifics (I can provide them too) or more information generally.

1. You want to take a vitamin D3 form of vitamin D. You do not want the prescription. It will be D2 or another form that is not what your body makes naturally and can't use as well if at all. You want a D3 form only and you have to purchase that.

2. Get yourself 5,000 IU D3 capsules. I can get them locally but my in laws had to order online. If you have to order online get the highest IU of D3 you can to start while you wait for your order.

3. Take 10,000 IU of D3 six days a week. You want to dose high (hence the suggestion for 5,000 IU capsules) and correct this fast. No matter your level anything below 10,000 IU per day is safe indefinitely for health adults. You could take 10,000 IU daily given your levels and that is what I did. The 10,000 IU per day six days a week will be very close to what the doctor will likely prescribe you though they will give the 50,000 IU in one pill generally (of the wrong form, not D3). At any rate this dose is safe no matter your D levels and certainly for low D. I did 10,000 seven days a week.

4. A good level of Vitamin D is actually at least 50. Some labs will say 30 but that's extremely low and even 40 has been shown to be suboptimal. You want your numbers in the future so you can dose yourself to and maintain those 50 + numbers.

If you want more specific information I'm happy to answer. I corrected a very low level within I believe two months.

5. Generally, you need 1000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain current vitamin D levels. You need far more to correct low of course. But once you get in the 50's range drop to a maintenance dose based on the above.

4. A good level of Vitamin D is actually at least 50. Some labs will say 30 but that's extremely low and even 40 has been shown to be suboptimal. You want your numbers in the future so you can dose yourself to and maintain those 50 + numbers.

Thanks for the info! I do know my number. It's 19. My dr. always gives me the whole lab report when I have tests run.:)

Low Vitamin D can and does often cause fatigue, pain, and likely increases risk of some serious health impacts. But instead of focusing on that (as you can't do anything about the past) focus on aggressively correcting your level.

Since you're fatigued and foggy here are my bullet points but the vitamin D council website is a wealth of information should you want more specifics (I can provide them too) or more information generally.

1. You want to take a vitamin D3 form of vitamin D. You do not want the prescription. It will be D2 or another form that is not what your body makes naturally and can't use as well if at all. You want a D3 form only and you have to purchase that.

2. Get yourself 5,000 IU D3 capsules. I can get them locally but my in laws had to order online. If you have to order online get the highest IU of D3 you can to start while you wait for your order.

3. Take 10,000 IU of D3 six days a week. You want to dose high (hence the suggestion for 5,000 IU capsules) and correct this fast. No matter your level anything below 10,000 IU per day is safe indefinitely for health adults. You could take 10,000 IU daily given your levels and that is what I did. The 10,000 IU per day six days a week will be very close to what the doctor will likely prescribe you though they will give the 50,000 IU in one pill generally (of the wrong form, not D3). At any rate this dose is safe no matter your D levels and certainly for low D. I did 10,000 seven days a week.

If you want more specific information I'm happy to answer. I corrected a very low level within I believe two months.

5. Generally, you need 1000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain current vitamin D levels. You need far more to correct low of course. But once you get in the 50's range drop to a maintenance dose based on the above.

Sbgrace,

I was instructed by my dr (my reproductive endocrinologist, who actually discovered the deficiency, not my family dr) to do the following:

Get Vitamin 3 supplements over the counter.... take 50,000iu once a week for 8 weeks... recheck vitamin d levels... dose will be adjusted when therapeutic range has been obtained.

What is your opinion on this? Specifically, taking 50,000 at a time, once a week (whether that be 10- 5,000iu tablets or 5 - 10,000iu tablets)?

To type where i've been medically in the last two years would make for an extremely long post. So i'm just going to condense it to say that the list that has been recommended to me has been long, both for rx and for supplements/herbal. I've tried a good many things, and Vitamin D is the one *hands down* that I notice the most results with. And I didn't even test deficient.

What I have been told is that Vitamin D is a hormone, your body produces it with exposure to sunlight. For a variety of reasons, many aren't getting enough. I've also been told that it is toxic in high doses, so if you are going to take Vitamin D, you should be tested to see where you're at, which you have.

If you go OTC with it, Vitamin D3 is correct, that's the one that you want. Vit. D2 is worthless, your body can't process it. It is also-I believe-fat soluable, so you want to take it with a food that has fat in it.

For some reason, I prefer NOW brand gel-caps. I've done the hard veggie pills that claim to be vegan, and didn't notice a bit of difference. I take 2,000mg in the morning. You can start with one dose, and then increase if you need to.

Vitamin D is essential in the absorption of Magnesium and Calcium. Many women take calcium, because that is the popular reasoning, you hear about bone loss all over the place. But you don't often hear that if you take calcium, you need magnesium and Vit. D3 along with.

Vitamin D can also help with depression/mood (because it works like a hormone).

I'm curious to see what other things get posted here. As you can tell, i'm a fan of it. :)

I had this same problem this time last year. I have lupus and don't get sun exposure at all since it literally makes me sick. When my levels were checked my vitamin d level was 9. My doctor put me on 50,000 IU of D3 for 10 weeks and I now take 2000 IU of vitamin d a day. I also take magnesium and calcium at the advice of my doctor. It did help as 2 months later my vitamin d jumped to 23 and has continued to climb since. Last time it was checked (around 3 months ago), it was 42.

If you do go with OTC D3, I just want to give another recommendation for the NOW brand. My DS takes 2000 IU a day, per his doctor, and I take 4000 IU a day per mine (simply because we live in a place with no sunlight EVER).

I order mine online from iHerb.com and like the service. I think I've seen the 10,000 IU caps there - you might check out the reviews and such for more info there.

I take a D3 supplement, although i am not deficient. I just like what i read about D3.

Do you get outside at all? A short walk, some potted plant dead-heading, a quick bike ride around the block might be helpful...or is your D issue separate from sun exposure? Do you live in a cloudy part of the country?

Edited by LibraryLover

Thanks for the help.

I do live in very sunny southern CA. However, I don't spend a lot of time outside. I'll change that today! The weather has been uncharacteristically mild and beautiful for July. I think I read that the sun exposure is best for Vit D between 10-3? So, I'll sit in the yard for 20 minutes or so during that time frame.

I'll do some more reading on the D2 vs. D3. I want to know somewhat what I'm talking about before talking to my dr.

Any other input is welcome as well!:)

What do you mean she recommended an Rx for you? Did she not write you one?

No she didn't. She sent me my lab results through e-mail which is the way we always do things. I went to see her. She ordered a bunch of lab work which I went to have done. Then she e-mails with the results and analysis.

In her e-mail she said she recommends a prescription strength Vit D and told me to call or e-mail with my pharmacy info so she could call it in.

I like that she'll give me a detailed e-mail with my results. That way I don't have to go in for another office visit/co-payment.:)

Sbgrace,

I was instructed by my dr (my reproductive endocrinologist, who actually discovered the deficiency, not my family dr) to do the following:

Get Vitamin 3 supplements over the counter.... take 50,000iu once a week for 8 weeks... recheck vitamin d levels... dose will be adjusted when therapeutic range has been obtained.

What is your opinion on this? Specifically, taking 50,000 at a time, once a week (whether that be 10- 5,000iu tablets or 5 - 10,000iu tablets)?

My own doctor suggested that I take 2000 daily, but later my partner (also a doctor) was talking with a friend of ours who does family practice and she said that she prescribes 50,000 once a week for 8 weeks. She said there was some study done showing that it was the most effective way of increasing vitamin D levels.

Thanks for the help.

I do live in very sunny southern CA. However, I don't spend a lot of time outside. I'll change that today! The weather has been uncharacteristically mild and beautiful for July. I think I read that the sun exposure is best for Vit D between 10-3? So, I'll sit in the yard for 20 minutes or so during that time frame.

I'll do some more reading on the D2 vs. D3. I want to know somewhat what I'm talking about before talking to my dr.

Any other input is welcome as well!:)

I live in a sunny climate as well. I just had my annual check up and my Vitimin D levles came back in the normal range. I forgot to ask what that meant and what exactly they checked.

Anyway, I take Viactiv calcium chews, (at Costco or Walmart) which have 500 IU of Vitamin D3. I take two chews a day and they are so good, chocolate flavor, that I rarely forget to take them. I also drink a glass of milk a day with chai tea. I am out in the sun about 15 minutes a day, usually stopping to talk to a neighbor or on a walk with the dog.

Something like that may work for you once you get your levels up in the normal range.

Vitamin D deficiency~

How much time outside does one need to spend? Does a daily 30 min. walk get one enough vitamin D?

I've heard/read/understood that 10 minutes a day in shorts/tank top w/out sunscreen is enough to produce 10,000IU of Vit. D- for a lighter skinned person.

My own doctor suggested that I take 2000 daily, but later my partner (also a doctor) was talking with a friend of ours who does family practice and she said that she prescribes 50,000 once a week for 8 weeks. She said there was some study done showing that it was the most effective way of increasing vitamin D levels.

Hmmm, that's interesting!! My doctor must have read that exact same study. :) I think that is what I will go with for now and just evaluate the results in 2 months.

Guest ME-Mommy

I'm Vitamin D deficient as well...I started taking NOW D3 a few months ago. I can really tell the difference when I don't take them.

I've also tried other brands and they don't seem to work as well...

Take a look at your diet. Are you getting vitamin D from food sources? And remember that Vitamin D is fat soluble. Are you eating a diet that is lacking in fat, like that in butter, eggs (pastured and in yolks), oily fish, and meat?

Get plenty of sun!

Fermented Cod Liver oil is a good and natural source of Vitamin D & A.

The sun: Not everyone makes sufficient vitamin D no matter the level of sun exposure. There are lots of proposed reasons for that (metabolic differences, genetic differences in way the body processes or converts, maybe even the tendency to shower after exposure or to sweat) but studies show it's not enough for many people to get sun. There was a well done study of people in Hawaii who got large amounts of non sunscreen exposure daily. By large I mean well over 20 hours a week of exposure of sun at the right latitude. Almost all were deficient--especially if you don't assume 30 is ok--which was considered ok for the study. It was shocking. The researchers speculated why. I can search pubmed for the study if anyone wants it and can't find it. Remember, many of us don't live at latitudes where the sun can even make vitamin D much of the year. And, clearly, even when that part is ideal some of us still don't make enough. The take home is don't assume you're ok because of sun. And you may be ok in the summer but need to supplement in the winter.

Sbgrace,

You can dose once a week instead of daily. A few people don't handle once a week as well with tummy or feeling wired but if you do that's fine. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's all at once or spread out with vitamin D. It's great that your doctor did recommend D3 and dosed high! So many doctors don't!

Edited by sbgrace

I just wanted to clarify something--not everyone makes enough from sun. There are lots of proposed reasons for that (metabolic differences, genetic differences in way the body processes or converts, maybe even the tendency to shower after exposure or to sweat) but studies show it's not enough for many people to get sun. There was a well done study of people in Hawaii who got large amounts of non sunscreen exposure daily. By large I mean well over 20 hours a week of exposure of sun at the right latitude. Almost all were deficient--especially if you don't assume 30 is ok--which was considered ok for the study. It was shocking. The researchers speculated why. I can search pubmed for the study if anyone wants it and can't find it. Remember, many of us don't live at latitudes where the sun can even make vitamin D much of the year. The take home is don't assume you're ok because of sun. And you may be ok in the summer but need to supplement in the winter.

You can dose once a week instead of daily. A few people don't handle once a week as well with tummy or feeling wired but if you do that's fine. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's all at once or spread out with vitamin D. It's great that your doctor did recommend D3 and dosed high! So many doctors don't!

Thank you for your reply!! :)

You can dose once a week instead of daily. A few people don't handle once a week as well with tummy or feeling wired but if you do that's fine. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's all at once or spread out with vitamin D.

OK, I have a question about this: I was told that our bodies can't absorb a lot of D3 all at once so to maximize absorption, it needs to be done at all three meals during the day. Just a week ago, I bought a lower dose (2000 iu each) formula for this reason. :confused:

OK, I have a question about this: I was told that our bodies can't absorb a lot of D3 all at once so to maximize absorption, it needs to be done at all three meals during the day. Just a week ago, I bought a lower dose (2000 iu each) formula for this reason. :confused:

I know that Vit. D & A are fat soluble, so needs to be taking w/ fat. Go BUTTER!

Based on my personal experience, once you start taking it...within the first week...you'll be feeling much better and over the course of a few months you'll feel like a new person.

Vit-D has also improved my skin tone, nails and hair.

Get on it, girl. :)

Who told you that? I haven't found anything when I researched to indicate that we needed small doses spread out with vitamin D. I did look into this a lot as some vitamins and minerals do need to be spread out.

The prescription will be one pill a week. My dh had this happen to him. I would suggest a bone density test -- Vitamin D helps absorb calcium into the bones. Another thought is if you take Prilosec (omeprazole) for acid reflux, one of the side effects is it can prevent absorption of Vitamin D.

Edited by tex-mex

Ronette, you probably don't want to hear from me, since I tend to go overboard with my posts, as you well know. ;) But here's some info for anyone who may be interested. I love these threads, since I feel like I'm learning so much. As far as testing and numbers go, I had the info somewhere and can't find it. But you ladies all seem to be in the know anyway. :)

If you're under 60, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 60 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Don't be concerned that 2,000-5,000 IU will give you too much. With exposure to sunlight in the summer, the body can generate between 10,000 IU and 20,000 IU of vitamin D per hour with no ill effects. In addition, no adverse effects have been seen with supplemental vitamin D intakes up to 10,000 IU daily.

To this day, medical textbooks mention the risk of vitamin D toxicity. Yet, the scientific literature suggests that toxicity occurs only with very large intakes of vitamin D over prolonged periods (more than 10,000 IUs daily for longer than 6 months). Except in people with disorders known as granulomatosis (such as sarcoidosis or tuberculosis), little risk (if any) is associated with vitamin D supplementation.

Vitamin D3 helps

BONE HEALTH

Optimal vitamin D levels are associated with a far lower risk of osteoporosis.

Facilitates calcium absorption and promotes bone mineralization

Fights frailty

One study found that people with low levels of vitamin D walked more slowly and took longer to get up out of a chair than people with higher levels.

Another study found that when people took vitamin D, their posture improved and their thigh muscles got stronger!

And still another study showed that vitamin D actually improves your balance, making you less likely to fall!

When vitamin D levels are low, the surface of bones become softer

This condition is called osteomalacia, and osteomalacia causes backaches and pain.

This softening of bones can be so mild it’s subclinical – which means you can’t identify it yet. But it could still be responsible for your pain. The problem stems from a lack of circulating calcium caused by insufficient vitamin D. So the solution is to take more D, not more calcium.

EMOTIONAL AND MENTAL WELL-BEING

Mood swings, depression, and bipolar disorders are all linked to a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D helps normalize brain function.

CANCER PREVENTION

Those with optimal levels enjoy a 50 percent reduced risk of breast cancer, as well as a substantially reduced risk of colon, colorectal, prostate, thyroid, and bowel cancers

D appears to influence up to 200 genes involved in cancer formation and prevention.

Recent studies have shown that women with the lowest blood levels of vitamin D had the highest rates of breast cancer. Those who had the highest levels of vitamin D had the lowest incidents of breast cancer. They concluded that if a woman took 2,000 IU of this vitamin/hormone a day, she could cut her risk in half.

DIABETES

Low levels of vitamin D have been linked to diabetes (both type 1 and type 2)

MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

Greatly reduces risk of multiple sclerosis

MS may be linked to a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D helps normalize brain function. Its protective effects on nerve growth factors in the brain make it an ideal nutrient to use for either the prevention or treatment of MS.

The association between vitamin D and MS is compelling. There are more people with MS who live in the low altitudes of Switzerland than in the high altitudes where UV rays are stronger. Almost no cases of MS can be found at the equator, but the further away you go, the more MS you find.

Countries farther from the equator typically have higher MS rates.

HEART HEALTH

Reduces risk of heart disease, stroke, and hypertension

PROTECTS AGAINST ELECTROPOLLUTION

Vitamin D3, is an ideal radioprotectant, even against low-level EMFs (cell phones, etc.). It helps facilitate communication between cells, which is interrupted by electropollution, and also activates the immune response, which can be tamped down by exposure to radiation. Take 5,000 IUs of Vitamin D daily (up to 10,000 IUs if you’re EMF sensitive, as a growing number of people are.

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY

German scientists suggest that vitamin D is anti-inflammatory, which may help explain why it also helps protect against cancer and cardiovascular disease, particularly congestive heart failure.

MENTAL DECLINE

Sufficient levels of D are critical in preserving brain function

Memory loss may be linked to a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D helps normalize brain function. Its protective effects on nerve growth factors in the brain make it an ideal nutrient to use for either the prevention or treatment of mental decline. The more vitamin D, the better the memory.

IMMUNITY, ANTI-ASTHMA, COLDS, AND FLUS

Research links low levels of vitamin D with asthma.

Without D—the body’s immune soldiers—T cells—can’t fight infections.

A randomized trial of children with a history of asthma finds most are low in vitamin D, leading to higher incidence of influenza A, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reports.

WEIGHT PROBLEMS

D3 helps in maintaining a healthy weight

Recent research at the University of Minnesota even finds that overweight individuals are better able to shed pounds when they get more vitamin D. For each nanogram/milliliter increase in this vitamin, dieters lost an extra half-pound of body weight.

RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS

Reduces risk of rheumatoid arthritis

AUTOIMMUNE DISORDERS

PSORIASIS

MACULAR DEGENERATION

Vitamin D3 prevents macular degeneration.

WHO IS DEFICIENT IN D?

Most people are deficient!

• Body-mass index (BMI) and obesity

• Older people

• Dark-skinned people

• Strict vegetarians

• People with celiac, Crohn’s disease, and cystic fibrosis

• Heredity

• Certain medications

• Regular use of sunscreen

• Northern Latitudes (above that of Atlanta, Georgia)

I've heard/read/understood that 10 minutes a day in shorts/tank top w/out sunscreen is enough to produce 10,000IU of Vit. D- for a lighter skinned person.

For some, that's true. However, there are many light-skinned people who can spend hours in the sun every day without sunscreen and still test deficient. Latitude may play a big part in that, although my doctor told me that even people from southern CA who spend time outside often test deficient. If you spend lots of time outside without sunscreen, yet still have health issues or are lacking in physical or emotional energy, it's worthwhile to get your numbers checked.