Menu

Filing system or workboxes?

parias1126

Which do you prefer? Do you use one? Both? I am struggling between workboxes or the filing method where each child has their own folder each week separated into the 36 week year. I need (or should I say, I think my children need...) some type of accountability.

Also, with the workboxes method, can someone please explain it further? Why does each child need 12 boxes? Is it meant to throw in extra fun things such as games in between their daily work? My children might have a breakdown if they had to get through 12 things! :lol:

So sick of hearing the dreaded, "Am I done yet??????" or "How much more do I have to do?"

My only other thought would be to give each child a checklist of things to do each day or have them create their own lesson plan.

What worked for your family? How did any one of these ideas benefit your Homeschooling?

Hopefully you'll get some other answers here, especially about workboxes. Here is a bit of my experience.

I started workboxes last spring. I stopped workboxes in June, I think. I found workboxes to be a lot of extra work for me. Yes, the kids liked them. Yes, more got done. Yes, it was somewhat smoother. However, I was burnt out and exhausted from them.

I am now attempting to set up a filing system. It also is a lot of work. However, the idea is that the work is done now. So come January when I can't stand to do it, it will still be done, ready to go. Also, with workboxes and other methods I have used, I tended to be doing too much on Sunday nights or other nights before school. There were even days when I was trying to get things set up early in the morning. Hopefully, the file system will remedy that.

With the workboxes, there is some flexibility on how many boxes you use. I did throw in games, mazes, even snacks for a tea time.

I think both I and my children need accountability. I think the file system will help me have a better balance between us as to where that accountability falls.

Now, I have to say that i have heard of workboxes being done far more efficiently than I did them. So, I think you need to hear from others on that. I am really excited about filing, though.:)

I am current setting up the filing system somewhat as described in the very long thread. I have weekly hanging folders with a manila folder inside for each of my kids (even though youngest isn't doing much - it's more fun letter of the week type stuff). My history and science are in separate folders by topic since I don't want to be confined to 1 week for a topic and I don't want to constantly be shuffling things. When we are ready for a new topic, I'll just grab the next on - I have the next 1 1/2 to 2 years planned out already.

I'm using a modified workbox system. I know I will not set them up every night especially with having to drive my oldest around to dance, etc. I barely get the dishes done after dinner some nights. So, I'm doing a weekly workbox system. Right now I'm using magazine holders and separating each days work with paperclips. So I have one holder for AAS, one for ETC, one for handwriting sheets. Our math is separated more since we are doing two days of MEP, one of time/money and one of RS Abacus. I have one magazine holder with my dd's stuff. I have a plastic drawer system with 4 large drawers where I put the History/Science stuff - the drawers are large enough that I can put in all (or at least most) of the supplies we need.

I'm hoping to eventually get a 20 drawer cart so I can split things out more so its easier for me to just grab the next thing for either child. I would still need the larger drawers or bins for History/Science but in our new house, we will have a dedicated school room so lots more space.

I plan to use both workboxes and the filing system.

We started using workboxes last year and my kids adjusted well to them so I want to keep that up. They eliminated that "How much more do I have left to do" attitude. I plan to use the filing system as a way to make it quicker for me to fill the workboxes.

I need the structure. If I don't have it, I start letting things slip out here and there until we're way behind. Some people need to be more flexible, but if you give me and inch, I'll take a mile.

Hopefully you'll get some other answers here, especially about workboxes. Here is a bit of my experience.

I started workboxes last spring. I stopped workboxes in June, I think. I found workboxes to be a lot of extra work for me. Yes, the kids liked them. Yes, more got done. Yes, it was somewhat smoother. However, I was burnt out and exhausted from them.

I am now attempting to set up a filing system. It also is a lot of work. However, the idea is that the work is done now. So come January when I can't stand to do it, it will still be done, ready to go. Also, with workboxes and other methods I have used, I tended to be doing too much on Sunday nights or other nights before school. There were even days when I was trying to get things set up early in the morning. Hopefully, the file system will remedy that.

With the workboxes, there is some flexibility on how many boxes you use. I did throw in games, mazes, even snacks for a tea time.

I think both I and my children need accountability. I think the file system will help me have a better balance between us as to where that accountability falls.

Now, I have to say that i have heard of workboxes being done far more efficiently than I did them. So, I think you need to hear from others on that. I am really excited about filing, though.:)

Thank you so much for reminding me of the "burnt out" thing. I am still burnt out from last year and haven't even begun to plan for the Fall. I haven't even decided on which curriculum we are using because I was waiting for my daughter to get her end-of-year testing done (which she did yesterday).

I am more leaning towards the filing system. We tend to have thing to do some days that are out of the house so we may take work with us in the car. I am thinking that the workboxes are more for moms/kids that stay in the house a lot. We sometimes take our schoolwork and sit in Chick-Fila or at the library. Sometimes we have appointments and the schoolwork gets done in the car. On Tuesdays, my 3 yr old has speech therapy so we end up doing schoolwork in the lobby while waiting for him.

I started reading the filing system thread but it is so LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG and I didn't have that much time to spend reading each and every post! :D

I just really want an easy fix to the "Are we done yet?" or "How much more do I have to do?" before I go nuts and pull every last hair out in my head!

If you look in my siggy there is a link to my blog where I have a description and pics on how I use the filing system and workboxes together. So far it has made things SO SO much easier!! There's just the initial investment of time into getting your filing done then everything else is a breeze!

We are doing both. My kids love the workboxes because they know exactly how much they have to do. Each child has 8 and yes I do put in some fun things. They can do them in whatever order they want. I am setting up my filing system now. Each child has their own crate with 4 hanging files labeled by quarters. Inside each quarter file are 9 weekly folders labeled 1-36. Inside each weekly folders their daily work is paper clipped together. So on Monday when I need to fill the workboxes I just pull that week's folder and pull out Monday's work. I also like this because if we are going to be out of the house I will just put their daily work into a folder to take with them. It is alot of work up front but I think it will really be worth it throughout the year.

We used a filing system this spring. I didn't care for it. Why? The kids would often leave something behind, and no real visual of what is left.

I'm going to workboxes this year, well work drawers. But will set up a file system for ME. I will have 6-8 weeks of lessons planned. For the older 2 girls, I'll be putting in a week at a time. 4/folders per box. They will have a small file folder to put finished work in, and I'll be correcting from there.

The little one(grade 2) I still work very close with her, so I tend to correct as we go.

I figured with the planning ahead, the kids will have what they need in just moments if they are working ahead, and keep them guessing with some surprises in their boxes too. A little treat, a game, a fun sheet, a 'hall pass' to go and play and do something. Plus it will free my time more, as things will be planned and just need to slip dd6 stuff in at night and dd11 an ddd13 once a week.

The file system DID work, but the girls didn't have the needed visual, it was easy to misfile. We didn't get into it. We got ALOT done, but I think the drawers/boxes will be better for us.

I have a filing system for myself. I've put all of the worksheets I need, made the copies, organized booklists, ect. and put them in weekly folders. I also have lesson plans for each week. For my DD1 I have a checklist of daily work she can check off so she knows what is done and what is left.

I like accountability for myself and her. It gets more done. Doing the work now saves me when things get chaotic later. At least that's the thought, right? ;)

Ok, I didn't have time to read through the responses, but I can tell you what I'm doing.

I have a simple pocket folder for each day we do school. Any consumables I put in there. For non-consumables, I just take a simple piece of paper and write what they do..."do your daily FLL with Mom" or "Practice your poem 3 times" or "Read aloud to Mom" "History reading"

Then there's the extra fun kind of things that I want to make sure they do, that gives them little breaks during the school day but is still helping them practice something they are learning. I went around the house and made a list of those things for each kid. I wrote each one on a piece of colored paper (actually put in in a word doc in columns for a 1/2 sheet to save paper). So I just slip those in between their daily work. Here are some examples of those things: "do a tanagrams puzzle for 10 minutes" (they set a timer), "write an email to Grandpa and tell him about something you are doing in school," "play starfall for 10 minutes" "build something with legos for 15 minutes" "do the mosaic pegs for 10 minutes" "do the acorn addition file folder game for 10 minutes" "put together the US state puzzle" "listen to your book on cd from the library"

So basically they start at the top stack, then when they are finished they move it to the other side of the folder.

Of course if they get to something that needs my involvement and I'm in the middle of something else, I can just tell them to temporarily go on to the next thing.

I find this method to work really well, it doesn't take up big bulky spaces, and I only have to fill the folders once a week (occasionally I have to move something to the next day so I do a quick check at the end of the day).

HTH!

A lot of moms are using both, because they like the idea of workboxes but didn't want to scramble each day to find things to put inside each drawer. With the filing system, they already have most of the work done for them....they just pull a folder and distrubute the work for that day into the boxes.

For me, I am trying to eliminate any extra steps. The more fancy the system, the less likely it is I will still be doing it in January. My blog (in my siggy) has a long post about how we file in our homeschool. You can make it as simple or fancy as you like. The key to filing is that it forces you to stay more on track and finish each group of subjects before moving on.

In that respect, it is quite similar to the 'loop' that gets mentioned on here frequently. In fact, i did a loop year before i started filing, but realized i needed even more structure than just the loop.

Hth

Which do you prefer? Do you use one? Both? I am struggling between workboxes or the filing method where each child has their own folder each week separated into the 36 week year. I need (or should I say, I think my children need...) some type of accountability.

Also, with the workboxes method, can someone please explain it further? Why does each child need 12 boxes? Is it meant to throw in extra fun things such as games in between their daily work? My children might have a breakdown if they had to get through 12 things! :lol:

So sick of hearing the dreaded, "Am I done yet??????" or "How much more do I have to do?"

My only other thought would be to give each child a checklist of things to do each day or have them create their own lesson plan.

What worked for your family? How did any one of these ideas benefit your Homeschooling?

Which do you prefer? Do you use one? Both? We are using workboxes.

Why does each child need 12 boxes? Is it meant to throw in extra fun things such as games in between their daily work? My children might have a breakdown if they had to get through 12 things! You do as many workboxes as you want. We started out with 12, but it's too many for my kindergartener. I'm going to cut back to 9, and even less if we need to. Basically, fill up the workboxes with the work you'll need to do that day, and then have a couple of workboxes for fun. So, let's say if you have 5 workboxes for work then just add a few for fun and only have maybe 7 total that day (no need to fill 7 boxes with fun stuff and 5 for school work just to have 12 that day). Each day could have a different number of workboxes.

So sick of hearing the dreaded, "Am I done yet??????" or "How much more do I have to do?" Well, this is exactly one of the benefits of the workboxes. They can see just what they need to do each day. When they take the workboxes off the shelf, they can see at a glance what's left. As they work, the boxes/work keep dwindling.

My only other thought would be to give each child a checklist of things to do each day or have them create their own lesson plan. We did the checklist for years. I don't think it's as effective as the workboxes, because the workboxes are all set to go. With the checklists, you still need to go find everything. The workboxes have it all in there and they're ready to go. At least in theory.....:001_smile:

I use a combo of both... folders for me, "workboxes" for the kids. So, 6 weeks out I gather all the sheets they will need. I have a plastic file bin with hanging folders, each labeled Week 1- Week 6. Then in each of these hanging folders I have a week's worth of file folders for each child (color coded). Each day has a folder (M-F). I fill all the folders at once. If we don't get to something it just gets moved to the next folder. At the end of 6 weeks I just redistribute the pages to fill the folders once again.

Then, each night I go to each child's folder for the next day and fill the "boxes". (I say "boxes" because we don't really use boxes anymore as they don't hold books well. Now I just put them on each child's set of shelves. I'm hoping to get those shallow stackable storage units, but can't afford them right now.) The books just stay in their place on the shelves.

After the kids complete their work it's all filed in a file cabinet with their name on it. Again, color coded. I have one folder for each month we school for each child.

Also... my youngers only use about 4 boxes. My olders about 6. I've never used 12 with them. Mine would die as well, even if there were fun things thrown in. They just want to get 'er done!

All our history sheets and science sheets are prepared ahead of time too. They go in a "history" or "science" folder in my file bin.

The kids LOVE the workbox system! I never have kids not knowing how much they have left to do. Some work fast, some work slow, but everyone knows what is expected of them each day.

I used workboxes last year; however, by later in the year, my kids really didn't care about doing the tags anymore. My older child prefers a checklist. It didn't really matter to my son. I wrote about it on my blog here.

I am working on my filing system this week. I am not going to do workboxes in the way I did last year, but I am using the file boxes I used from last year to divide up work, by subject, for the week. I realized that the workboxes helped me more than them.

I bought these planners for my kids. I love the format of the pages. Each subject square has 3 small boxes in the upper right corner which will be great for checking that it's done and recording grades.

Whatever you choose to do, you have to make it work for you and your family. I hope you find what fits.

I used workboxes last year; however, by later in the year, my kids really didn't care about doing the tags anymore. My older child prefers a checklist. It didn't really matter to my son. I wrote about it on my blog here.

I am working on my filing system this week. I am not going to do workboxes in the way I did last year, but I am using the file boxes I used from last year to divide up work, by subject, for the week. I realized that the workboxes helped me more than them.

I bought these planners for my kids. I love the format of the pages. Each subject square has 3 small boxes in the upper right corner which will be great for checking that it's done and recording grades.

Whatever you choose to do, you have to make it work for you and your family. I hope you find what fits.

Love that planner! I really love how they have their Spelling List off to the side so that they are always looking at it. That is just awesome.

My plan is to use both.

File system:

I am just now setting this up.

I am using 1 drawer in a filing cabinet.

Each week has its own hanging file with a folder for each child inside.

Within the child's folder is their weekly schedule and anything else that is important to success for that week.

Workboxes:

Each child has their own 6-drawer rolling cart.

The top 4 drawers are for subjects.

Drawer 5 is for "On Your Own" work.

Drawer 6 is my drawer to stuff things in such as craft supplies, extra books, etc.

Within the subject drawers, I keep their textbooks, workbooks and things from the file system folder for that week.

We've used the subject workboxes for quite some time now and they have worked well for us. The numbered boxes didn't work so well. I've tried a number of ways of doing this.

Our subjects for 5th grade are: grammar/composition, spelling, history/science and math.

Our subjects for 2nd grade are: phonics, social studies/science, math, and lapbooks. When she moves up to 3rd they will be: phonics/spelling, grammar/story, social studies/science, and math. She may still have a drawer for lapbooks.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

Love that planner! I really love how they have their Spelling List off to the side so that they are always looking at it. That is just awesome.

You know...I hadn't even thought of that benefit. I guess my love of the little boxes to check off and fill in blinded me to the other benefits of the layout.:D I am a list checking, fill-in-the-blank lovin' girl!

I am more leaning towards the filing system. We tend to have thing to do some days that are out of the house so we may take work with us in the car. I am thinking that the workboxes are more for moms/kids that stay in the house a lot. We sometimes take our schoolwork and sit in Chick-Fila or at the library. Sometimes we have appointments and the schoolwork gets done in the car. On Tuesdays, my 3 yr old has speech therapy so we end up doing schoolwork in the lobby while waiting for him.

For easy transportability, I got Sterilite large nesting show offs. They have a top and a handle. I can put the kids stuff for a week in there and a pencil box with supplies. We have lots of books which I will be reading aloud from which will not be easy to cart around, but their workbooks, copywriting, math, etc. will work well in there. I got them for $4.70 at Big Lots.

You could even organize a modified workbox system in files in the Sterilite boxes.

As for the "are we done yet?" problem, I am hoping having all the work for the week in front of them will help. I will have it divided by the day, but they will also have the opportunity to work ahead if they want.:lol: Yeah, right. "Can I do more work?" seems unlikely. I will also have a checklist for them. This year I want to work towards my older ds being more independent and accountable for his work.

I think for whatever system you use it helps the kids to know there is an end to the work. Otherwise I think it feels kind of arbitrary, like it ends whenever mom feels like it.:001_smile:

I use a combination of both also, but very modified and differently with each child (at least my oldest and her younger siblings). With my oldest I started to do the 36 filing system, but then panicked because I knew that things might get changed around and mess up my system. So I did rip apart workbooks, copy pages etc for each subject and put them in a 3 ring binder divided by subject. I also printed out 6 weeks of lesson plans (color coding the days of the week to match the color of the day-of-the-week folder) and put them in the front of the binder. Then the beginning of the week I can take out what we need for that week and put them in her M-F folders. If anything is left at the end of the week it can be saved for the following week or skipped as needed. I also have all the books we are going to use this year in a crate to grab as needed.

For my younger children, we are using HOD which is mostly non-consumables and blank notebooks for their written work. They each have a color coded locker crate with hanging files by subject. The file holds the book they are reading and the notebook for their assignments. If I am using the same book for more than one child then I keep the book on a shelf above my desk. I also have those stackable plastic "shelves". Each shelf has their color file on it and that is where they place their finished work for me to check. I will then place it in their portfolio binder or if it is in a notebook then I will put the notebook back in their file. Any worksheets that will be used are again kept in a 3 ring binder by subject on my desk. (Their worksheets share one binder since there is not a lot of them).

I didn't read any of the other posts but here is what I do...

I use both...sort-of.

I DEFINITELY like the workboxes, but I do not use them like most. My son only needs about 7 boxes per day (if that), why any child would need 12 is beyond my comrehension. I have one of the 7-drawer towers from Walmart. Into the first box is ALWAYS bible. He does that first every single day. Then the other boxes are his daily subjects: Lit, History, Math. Science, etc., that I mix up by number each day depending on importance for that given day.

I made my own numbers out of card stock for the boxes and put packing tape on both sides of each for my lamination (cheap and effective!). I then bought some of those stick-on Velcro dots and put Velcro dots on the back of each number, and the fuzzy dots on each drawer. I also put fuzzy dots on the side of the drawer tower. When my ds is done with a subject he takes the number from his drawer and sticks it to the fuzzy dot on the side of the tower. Clear as mud? :D

When my ds does his work he takes out the entire drawer, takes it to his desk, does the work in it that I have scheduled on his main weekly schedule which he keeps with him from box to box, and then puts the drawer back. Inside each drawer is everything he needs for that subject: Books needed, a pencil or pen, paper, protractor, etc. So everything stays nice and tidy!! No more searching the house over for a pencil, or a book that has been misplaced.

I LOVE the workboxes. Love them.

Now as for files...

I'm not one for tearing apart workbooks just to then file them. Arg. That sounds extremely tedious. But, I do use weekly files for any loose-leaf things...mainly my TOG stuff. Into a weekly file folder I will place my ds's TOG Student Activity Pages, maps, etc., I will then just place this entire folder in his history workbox along with any necessary books for the week.

Now, personally, if I did feel the need to rip apart workbooks, I would tear out whatever pages are to be completed each week on Monday, staple them together (think math pages) and put them in my son's workbox. I would probably only think of doing this with younger students, maaaaaaybe, but my ds is 13 so I just put the workbook in the box and he's good to go. With TOG there is a lot of printing involved, so I like to get that done over the summer and into weekly folders before school begins.

Again, I personally think 12 boxes per student is overkill. :confused: I usually have one extra open box for any 'fun' thing I want to add to my son's day. His days are pretty full though, so unless it's a special snack, he'd rather I not add anything else to his schedule. If he wants to put together a puzzle or play a game, he'd rather do that after school. ;)

Inside each drawer is everything he needs for that subject: Books needed, a pencil or pen, paper, protractor, etc. So everything stays nice and tidy!! No more searching the house over for a pencil, or a book that has been misplaced.

\

Love the idea of keeping the pencil in with everything else!!!!