Menu

best curriculum that you have loved...

vlgimmelli

Here's our list:

Math: Math U See, SRA Math (textbook, but lots of little math games & the practice she needed - old version -SRA Explorations and Applications - New version - SRA Real Math a gem that saved our family)

History: SOTW, TOG

Science: Harcourt (we supplemented with "real" books and had great years!), Noeo

Literature: I pieced together my own literature program with critical thinking questions and discussions. Easy if you own the right books.

Spanish: Rosetta Stone (they never complain)

Writing: Writer's Workshop - Lucy Calkins' - The Art of Writing

Logic: Perplexors

Vocabulary: English From the Roots Up

We all love Heart of Dakota. It's easy. The Teacher's Guide is fabulous. It's CM. It's a 4 day plan, so that leaves a whole day for outside activities or drs. appts, etc... The living books that go with the program are some of the very best books I have ever read and I love to read -- average 1 book a week, all year, every year -- in addition to what the kids are reading. I can not say enough good about it. :D

Stephanie in TN

Math: 3 faves :tongue_smilie: MUS, Singapore and Righstart (mainly the math games and activities book)

History: History Odyssey, SOTW

Science: R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey! The Story of Science series!

Phonics: Sing spell read and write! This has been above all our most beloved!

Spelling: Converted over to spelling power!

Readers: Sonlight! We plan on supplementing our history with SL readers and read alouds.

Writing: Writeshop baby! Looked extensively between this and IEW and writeshop won this writer's heart!

Grammar: We really haven't hit into this yet but I have been eyeing up MCT and Analytical grammar a LOT!

Latin: Latin for Children

Foreign language: Rosetta stone!

Math: Math Mammoth

Reading: Phonics Pathways & Drawn Into The Heart of Reading

History & Science: living books a la Heart of Dakota-- they get into some Apologia books too

Grammar: Rod & Staff, done mostly orally and on the white board.

Spelling: copywork and dictation (it works!)

Top EVER is Heart of Dakota. I love it all. The history, science, poetry, projects, writing instruction, book choices, layout, ease of use, open and go,....LOVE IT!!!

I've used and loved:

• Rainbow Science for junior high
  • Sonlight, especially Cores 3, 4, and 5
  • Singapore Math during the middle grades (roughly grades 4-7)
  • Jolly Phonics for preschool (great for teaching the 42 letter sounds and diagraphs, though disappointing for advancing to the next stage)
  • Handwriting Without Tears for Pre-K
  • Rummy Roots (simple but effective way to teach Greek and Latin roots)
  • TOPS science kits from Sonlight, especially the corn and radishes
  • Rod and Staff grammar, done 1/2 orally

For high school, the things that come to mind are:

• Destinos for Spanish 3 in high school
  • various Potter's School courses, especially their English/writing classes
  • Pennsylvania Homeschoolers AP courses - we've done AP US History and Psych so far
  • numerous DVDs from The Teaching Company

Edited by LynnG in Hawaii

Our favorites here have been R&S Math (that doesn't help you though, does it) for my son and CLE Math for my daughter, and SL for history and science. These are the programs that I have stuck with for years and will very likely use all the way through.

Lisa

It’s so hard to say. I used so many things different things the past two years, especially in the area of writing and grammar. I liked many different aspects of the various programs. But it’s hard to pin down favorites.

I love the CM method of schooling children; primarily in the younger years. However, there are also many solid suggestions from WTM that I adore and couldn’t get by without.

For writing we enjoyed SL LA, IEW, and Wordsmith. Also included would be the writing assignments in OM.

Grammar; not sure- both MCT and Shurley look promising. I like FLL but just haven’t been able to stick with it since years ago. Abeka is decent; I have to admit that, although we are moving on.

Math- LOF hands down.

Spanish- La Class Divertida

Phonics- ETC, Phonics Pathways, LLATL Blue and Red

Spelling- Megawords

History- the kiddos love SL

Science- we like RS4K, The Story of Science w/ T&H kit, we do “OM” type science naturally from day to day, and I love interest led science, The Elements was excellent- we dabbled in it twice so far

Pre-school- Monesstori methods, Five in a Row, SL Pre-K or whatever it’s called now.

The Library and lots of good literature (AO etc.) = the best kind of schooling ever, IMO.

I am sure I’m leaving a gazillion things out.;)

I loved HOD Bigger and Beyond. Hated HOD preparing (sorry!)

I love EASY GRAMMAR. Where has this been all my life?

I LOVE Geomatters Trail Guide to learning.

I loved the results we got from Reading Pathways and Phonics pathways, plus Beyond the Code, and Explode the code.

I LOVE TT. It's my favorite math ever, but a close second is Math Mammoth.