Menu

USPS messes up, who pays?

Who takes the loss?  

1. 1. Who takes the loss?

• buyer
    • seller
    • buyer and seller split the loss
    • other

This is for my future reference as my current issue has been resolved. If person A mails a package to person B (used homeschool materials worth over $100) without insurance (buyer didn't request) and USPS messes up resulting in no books received by person B, who should swallow the loss? (I know what Paypal will say, but let's take Paypal out of the equation.)

For their own protection sellers should at least pay for delivery confirmation. They should include it in their price or shipping fee.

Personally, I say if the buyer does not want to pay for insurance, then the buyer is responsible. But, *I* no longer will ship media mail and I pay for insurance, whether or not the buyer requests it.

USPS?

Seriously, I sell my hs books every year. Orders over $50 automatically get insurance. Everything gets delivery confirmation. If someone didn't receive something I sent them, I'd feel terrible; as the seller, I'd refund the money and work it out with USPS.

We also use the PO for mailing the products for dh's business. There have been international issues, but each and every order gets insurance.

We have trouble with USPS, so I would not ship without insurance, and I would include it in the price of the items.

IMO it is up to the seller to get the items to the buyer, so it would be the seller's loss. I would expect Gap or Gymboree to get me my items or give me a refund, so I would expect the same of anyone else. It is up to the seller to get insurance (and add it into the price if need be).

Well, legal advice I got a while back said seller is responsible.

Having said that, I'm with the PP...if you're sending something worth more than you're willing to personally lose, why not just fork over the extra buck or two it costs to insure the package, whether or not buyer requests it? At the very least, I make sure I have a shipping receipt.

At a minimum delivery confirmation should be included in the price of the books. For orders over $50 insurance should be included in the price.

If you want $1 for a book price it at $1.50. (Or however much DC costs these days.) If you sell 10 books to one person that you want $1 each for, give the buyer a "discount" so he only pays DC once.

And the $50 for the insurance was an amount to toss out. IF you don't feel the need to possibly loose more than $10, start your insurance standard at the $10.

USPS?

Seriously, I sell my hs books every year. Orders over $50 automatically get insurance. Everything gets delivery confirmation. If someone didn't receive something I sent them, I'd feel terrible; as the seller, I'd refund the money and work it out with USPS.

We also use the PO for mailing the products for dh's business. There have been international issues, but each and every order gets insurance.

:iagree: with Laura. I once lost a box of books I was giving to someone (not selling). The box arrived empty. :glare: That was the last time I mailed something without buying insurance for it. It's only a couple of bucks anyway. Now, when I sell something, I just ask for a price and say that it includes insurance and delivery confirmation and if people ask for a lesser price to have no insurance or delivery confirmation then I just tell them I don't feel comfortable doing that.

Edited by Audrey

I have had mostly good luck with USPS. Only one time did a book get lost. I had a receipt that proved that I sent it. The buyer was very reasonable. Both of us were disappointed, but we agreed to split the loss. I felt very fortunate that she was reasonable (and she was glad that I was.) However, I think that I will start putting a disclaimor in all my sales that insurance is optional and I won't be responsible if something happens.

I'm going to pick seller, even if seller has proof that it was sent. It is up to the seller to make sure the package is wrapped securely and that the address is written correctly and legibly. If a seller is sloppy in the packaging department it can really increase the risk that the item will not get where it's going. I'm not saying that all USPS mishaps are caused by poorly packaged items but it's certainly possible. I've seen some crazy stuff swapping used books at paperbackswap.

As a buyer I expect to receive what I have paid for. If I buy from Amazon and I don't get it, they send me another. I expect the same from anyone else I buy from. So as a seller, I always insure any item that I can't afford to eat the price of myself. Now in 10 years of selling I have only had to collect insurance two or three times but the piece of mind is worth it to me. I once had to trace a $100 book and tell the buyer that it was at her post office and I once received back an empty package along with a note from the PO telling me the contents were lost but at least I knew what happened.

I feel if the buyer wants to make sure that they receive the book then they should ASK for it to be insured. We cannot help what happens when it leaves our hands as sellers. I have had an issue ONCE in about 100 shipments and I am not going to eat insurance when buyers already want the items sold at a very low price. I do remind them that I am not responsible and ask if they want insurance but if they decline then that is their loss if something happens. I have receipts even if they don't want insurance or delivery confirmation because I take all items to the post office to ship.

If the seller has proof that they mailed it, the buyer takes the loss. It would be nice for the seller to split it, but not necessary.

:iagree: As a seller, I always include delivery confirmation and also save my receipt as proof that I have mailed the package. I always offer insurance to the buyer--if they decline to have it insured, then they must know that they are responsible if it doesn't get there. On larger valued items (say, over $100), I insist on insurance and actually include it in the asking price.

As a buyer I expect to receive what I have paid for. If I buy from Amazon and I don't get it, they send me another. I expect the same from anyone else I buy from. So as a seller, I always insure any item that I can't afford to eat the price of myself. Now in 10 years of selling I have only had to collect insurance two or three times but the piece of mind is worth it to me. I once had to trace a $100 book and tell the buyer that it was at her post office and I once received back an empty package along with a note from the PO telling me the contents were lost but at least I knew what happened.

I agree - if a seller is selling something they don't want to have to absorb the loss, they need to purchase insurance irregardless of whether the buyer wants to pay for insurance. I think the seller is "responsible" for getting the item to the buyer, even though it's not the seller's fault if USPS loses/destroys it (seller could have chosen a different shipper), it's even less the buyer's fault.

:iagree: As a seller, I always include delivery confirmation and also save my receipt as proof that I have mailed the package. I always offer insurance to the buyer--if they decline to have it insured, then they must know that they are responsible if it doesn't get there. On larger valued items (say, over $100), I insist on insurance and actually include it in the asking price.

Note: Ebay says that even if you say buyer is responsibile, Seller is actually responsible if the item does not get there.

And if you bought something from Amazon, would you accept that you were responsible if it did not arrive? or would you expect Amazon to deal with it?

I'm afraid seller is responsible until the item arrives at the buyer. So seller has to cover themselves with insurance, etc. in case the post office messes up.

I just sold a book on amazon marketplace and took a loss for it... the priority mail envelope arrived without the book inside. I figure it's my job to get the book to the buyer - so I refunded the price of the book and the shipping costs. I'll file a claim with USPS, but I doubt I'll see the book again.

As a buyer I expect to receive what I have paid for. If I buy from Amazon and I don't get it, they send me another.

:iagree: While I certainly don't expect the seller to run out and buy another for me (because used book sellers are not exactly of Amazon status ;)), I do expect to receive what I pay for or get my money refunded. I mean, if we buy something, it seems ridiculous to pay the money for absolutely nothing in return. A messed up transaction on the part of USPS just royally stinks for everyone involved. I'm kind of surprised by those who feel it's a Buyer Beware type situation; it kind of makes buying used less appealing.

I suppose there are dishonest people everywhere, though, who will never send the stuff or will receive it but claim they didn't. I hate those people. But I still feel it's the seller's responsibility to cover their end of the deal, either by getting del conf or insurance and certainly receipts.

I always get delivery tracking. I also get insurance for big ticket items I ship. IMO it is the responsibility of the seller to ensure that the goods are delivered. The buyer did their part by trusting the seller to send upon receipt of the funds. If a seller doesn't protect themselves and their buyer then it is sellers fault IMO.