Menu

Unknown side effect of a fence

I've waited six years to fence in the yard so that I could just pop the kids outside and let them play to their heart's content. The fence was put up last month! Woo hoo!

Oh, the things I would be able to do while the boys were out playing! All the time I would save by sending them happily outside while I puttered in the house. They could play in the morning, then come in and do homeschool....they could play before going to Thursday night church (and get those wiggles out)...they could play while I cooked lunch and dinner.

But I forgot that I have boys. (sound of a record screeching to a halt.)

I had TOTALLY not factored in the amount of dirt and mud and stench that little boys can find in a backyard. They come inside COVERED in mud and stinking like dogs! Dogs, people! Dogs! (Why do sweaty boys stink like dogs?)

I used to only bathe them once every 3 days or so...but no more! These stinky boys have to be bathed when they come inside or they stink up the room. I've had to factor in the 20 minutes of clean up after every trip outside. (Dirty clothes to be cleaned, dirty boys to be cleaned!)

:tongue_smilie:

(But I still love my fence.)

OOOhhhh, just wait! My son turned 13 this year, has already grown to 5'10" (my husband is 6'8") and can stink up a room even after a shower. Throw in a little exercise (he's a mountain and road bike fiend) and he will make your eyes water!

What happened to my sweet smelling, cuddly little bundle of joy???

I'm sure board members with even older boys could tell you some scary (and stinky) tales.

Why do sweaty boys stink like dogs?

:lol::smilielol5:Oh my, that is so funny! How old are your boys? In my house, that smell permeated ds' bedroom, too. :ack2: I hate to tell you that for him that smell lasted until he was about 13 y/o; that's when it changed to something worse (only when he's sweaty, though! Grin.).

In all seriousness, I wish I knew the answer to your question. I remember the first time ds and several of his friends came in from playing soccer during the summer... dh and I about keeled over from the wet dog smell!!

Thanks for the laugh! :D

Thats why my boys' room is the basement. Add in all the friends coming over after football practice and my basement smells gross, gross, gross. Why do they all have to shower at MY house??

I agree with the hose outside idea.

No, no, no... HOSE + DIRT = MUD!! :svengo:

Watch out, OP, next they'll be filling up that hole they tried to dig to the other side of world to make themselves a bathing pond!

Not if you make them bring it to you so you can hose them off before they come inside.

Oh, it's not just boys! MY 6 and 2 YO girls are outside lovin' creatures. They also can come in stinkin' to high heaven! What's worse is it takes longer to wash girl hair and they still need help from mom with that!

But they love it and it is good form them to be outside instead of vegging in front of the tube so I deal with it.

We made an outdoor shower station. We have a wooden pallet covered with a rubber non-skid mat and some well placed Rose of Sharon bushes! Dd can get messy, then secure the hose sprayer on the hook on the shower post and set it in the On position. Afterward she can grab one of the old towels we keep in the covered plastic bin there and step to the sidewalk and come on into the house. I also try to keep a bottle of shampoo and some bath gel in the bin in case anyone wants to take a complete shower out there instead of just rinsing off.

There are some benefits to living in the country at the end of a dead-end road!

No, no, no... HOSE + DIRT = MUD!! :svengo:

Watch out, OP, next they'll be filling up that hole they tried to dig to the other side of world to make themselves a bathing pond!

I have two rather large excavation pits turned bathing ponds in the back yard. The dog likes to help them.

Turn your day around, inside stuff in the morning then boot them outside so when they come in it is evening and they can go straight to the bath. I learnt the hard way :D

Yep. This is the way I do it. Nothing worse than a smelly 10 year old that wants to come in and watch tv...um NO! Shower first before you sit on my furniture!

We made an outdoor shower station. We have a wooden pallet covered with a rubber non-skid mat and some well placed Rose of Sharon bushes! Dd can get messy, then secure the hose sprayer on the hook on the shower post and set it in the On position. Afterward she can grab one of the old towels we keep in the covered plastic bin there and step to the sidewalk and come on into the house. I also try to keep a bottle of shampoo and some bath gel in the bin in case anyone wants to take a complete shower out there instead of just rinsing off.

There are some benefits to living in the country at the end of a dead-end road!

Wow, great idea! You are one smart mama!