Menu

What causes weirdly high prices on Amazon used books?

This always baffles me. Usually, it is an out-of-print book. I guess "rarity" is the motive, but seriously? Would anyone really pay $242 for a children's book? Once, I looked up a book on home haircutting and it was like this too. Out of print and hundreds of dollars for a used copy.

Supply & demand. The rarer the book, the more it is going to cost you. I once sold a children's book written by John Denver for $100. For a long time the Kingfisher history book with the white cover was selling for ridiculously high prices. If you really want a shock look up some of the early Stephen King's on Amazon and Ebay.

If you are looking for a book that you just want to own but don't need right now then monitor it over a period of time. I have seen fluctuations of up to $100 in book. If a book doesn't sell at a higher price the seller will eventually lower it.

A Spelling Workout workbook for over $100! A saw that one several years ago.

It happens because larger booksellers monitor prices electronically, and jack them up automatically.

Over five years ago I did get in on one of those crazy price wars, and I sold a paperback for several hundred dollars. It was a very obscure craft book, and I guess that enough people were desperate to get it that it went over the top.

That's never happened again though, and I've sold lots and lots of books that I made just a few dollars on.

And here's one I've been keeping my eye on for a year, it is a $4 coloring book that started out as $19 last summer and it's now $607!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Anatomy-Christine-Becker/dp/1565657381/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278953453&sr=8-1

But I do understand why the prices go up on rare books. I have sold a few myself and bought a couple that were overpriced, but I would never spend hundreds.

I have often wondered what they are really selling (like in the case of the Magic Tree House book or other commonly available books), but I'm suspicious that way.

I'm certainly not going to buy one to find out though.

That's what I have always wondered....

I think much of the pricing for volume sellers is done automatically by computers which check for availability and price by ISBN. Sometimes you'll see one copy of a book listed for a crazy price, and check back later to see a number of copies listed at similar crazy prices. I usually go to eBay and check the completed listings for the last 60 (or is it 90?) days to get an idea of what the book is really selling for.

• 9 months later...

Here's a message I just got in my shopping cart today:

Please note that the price of (book) has increased from $3.04 to $500.00 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart.

I don't think so!

What I hate also is books that are in the 4-for-3, and then the "fulfilled by amazon" used price -- including for books with considerable wear! -- is 1c less than amazon's price. Who would buy that?!

On half.com there are a couple sellers that routinely waaaaaay over-price their books. They might be listed in "like new" condition for $13 but these guys will be selling their "good" condition copies for $87. Maybe they think someone, somewhere will screw up and pay that much for it, or it might eventually be the last copy available.