Menu

Do you play classical music during lesson time?

jpklehm

Since we're switching from working in the kitchen to an actual schoolroom this year, I'm thinking of playing classical music softly in the background. I don't think this will be distracting for my two sons, 12 and 7, and I'll have to try it out to see, of course, but I was wondering how many of you do this?

We've listened to Classics for Kids for a number of years so they know some of the classic composers, but this may give us a chance to get other CDs from the library and discuss them a bit at times, too. We listen to music during dinner each night but I thought I'd try it during lesson time, as well.

Just curious...

Pam

My oldest son is easily distracted and frustrated when he is trying to work on his own and I am working with my younger son so he'll listen to it with headphones. It seems to help.

We also listen to it while we're doing projects.

My oldest is the same way so the headphones may be a good idea for us, as well.

Good thoughts, thank you.

Pam

My girl and I have this in common: we actively listen to music. So, when we listen, we listen. We generally don't like to try to do other things while listening and can get frustrated when the music and the other things our minds are trying to focus on start competing.

So, no; we tend not to listen to music while working on lessons. We like to listen while we do non-mental tasks, though.

Heh, heh... we don't. I tried, but since I have mostly boys we didn't have spontaneous ballet... we had spontaneous air piano playing or falsetto voices....:001_huh: I settled with music during our art projects and as we add more history projects in this year I'll play it during that as well....

We listen to classical music all the time. During lessons, while cooking/cleaning, playing, driving around, etc. We generally will focus on whatever composer that Classics for Kids is featuring for the month. I get the music from the library or from our collection.

My son adores it... but yeah... after a month of Verdi we were singing all sorts of opera and it was a little distracting. I think we'll stick to the instrumental LOL.

Yes, I was thinking instrumental only, for sure. Good to hear how it works for some and not for others.

We will try it for a week and see how it goes. If it's a distraction, then we will play it during "non-mental" times like folding laundry, art projects, etc. :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Pam

I wish we could do this because I love classical music, and we listen to it when we are driving. It distracts my dd too much when doing lessons because she has been trained to "actively listen" to music after 8 years of violin study. I did try it a couple of times, but she told me to turn the music off because she couldn't concentrate on what she was reading or writing at the time.

It works for us. It almost seems to soothe the wild beast I call my boys. So far it hasn't been a distraction or put them to sleep but it does remind them to talk quietly which I love.

Now here's a huge benefit!! :001_smile:

I wish we could do this because I love classical music, and we listen to it when we are driving. It distracts my dd too much when doing lessons because she has been trained to "actively listen" to music after 8 years of violin study. I did try it a couple of times, but she told me to turn the music off because she couldn't concentrate on what she was reading or writing at the time.

Aahh, interesting point. Again, I'll know if this is the case with my oldest as soon as we try it. I'm not sure I would have realized it, though. Thanks.

Pam

We listen to it throughout the day, every day, but not during "lessons." I have found that playing music between subjects:

1) Makes my toddler, very, very happy dancing and more content afterwards.

2) Excites then calms my older ds and definitely improves his ability to concentrate on his lessons afterwards.

3) Lifts my spirits and calms my nerves.

Our day goes something like this:

Sing a folksong

Math

Piano lesson

English

Geography songs

Spelling

Snack while listening to classical instrumental music, favorites being Vivaldi and Mozart. :)

Weekly subject

Listen to classical and dance around the living room, etc.

Subject

I practice piano, then let the toddler "play", etc.

You get the idea!

There are a few lessons where we do listen to music while we are working: namely art, handicrafts, and copywork.

If I ever find that we have it on, but no one is paying attention to it, it is distracting, I turn it off quickly. At that point, it has background noise.

Edited by Medieval Mom

One of my dds really likes to have classical music on in the background when she's working independently, but I have to turn it off when I come in the room because I can't concentrate on the lesson if it's playing! I think I also have to actively listen. I can only have music on in the background if I'm doing something like cleaning that really doesn't involve any higher brain function. :D