Menu

So much for Winter Promise's improved

Abbeygurl4

shipping! My dh just called them and placed an order and they said it won't ship until after the 4th!! Really?? It can't be that busy for them now and what's wrong with today, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday? I'm in Ohio, I could drive there and back before they even get my stuff in a box. That irks me, it really does.

Well, July is a pretty busy month for homeschool companies. The busiest, actually. I have ordered from Rainbow Resource in the summer and been told that my order won't ship for 2-3 weeks. I usually end up paying them an extra $10 for "expedited warehouse service". I actually think shipping within a week of your order is pretty good. Especially for this time of year.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

shipping! My dh just called them and placed an order and they said it won't ship until after the 4th!! Really?? It can't be that busy for them now and what's wrong with today, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday? I'm in Ohio, I could drive there and back before they even get my stuff in a box. That irks me, it really does.

I personally don't consider that to be an excessive wait. It's hard to wait though.

I guess I was spoiled by Geography Matters super fast shipping.

This is still June .... I'm just sayin'

LMHO....I never know what month it is. And, yes, I understand your impatience. Waiting almost a month for a box from Rainbow almost did me in once. And, I've been known to stalk my mail carrier and UPS man waiting on boxes of curriculum. I think they're a little afraid of me now. :lol:

Diane W.

married for 22 years

Abbygurl4 or others -

have you ordered from Winter Promise before and had backorders?

I ordered their American Crossing set and it came with several backordered items. It's been a few weeks and none of those have come in.

Has anyone had any experience with their backordered items?

LMHO....I never know what month it is. And, yes, I understand your impatience. Waiting almost a month for a box from Rainbow almost did me in once. And, I've been known to stalk my mail carrier and UPS man waiting on boxes of curriculum. I think they're a little afraid of me now. :lol:

:

Don't mess with a homeschool mom! :iagree

So, I take back my chastisement (is that a word?) of Winter Promise. I'm still disappointed that I have to wait so long. I wonder if they'd let me come pick it up?

Abbygurl4 or others -

I ordered their American Crossing set and it came with several backordered items. It's been a few weeks and none of those have come in.

WP is infamous for backorder issues. And, some people have gotten really burned by them. I've had backorders in the past, but mine have always arrived in a timely fashion. HOWEVER, as a precaution, and until this is no longer a problem for them......I only order WP exclusives from them and get the rest from Amazon. This actually saves me money with Amazon's 4 for 3 deal on paperbacks and shipping is no longer an issue. WP has ALWAYS gotten me their exclusives within a week to ten days of me placing my order. It's the other books that are the problem.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Abbygurl4 or others -

I ordered last Feb. and did not receive everything until December!! I did receive what I needed to start by July. Keep calling them every week is my suggestion. Everytime I called they would look through the computers and put it out to ship right away.

After reading about the shipping problems here, I called them to place my order and they were able to tell me exactly what would be backordered. They offered me alternatives and we agreed. I receive everything in under a week.

I'm not using them now, but I would call and ask before placing an order online.

From all of the horror stories I have read about WP, this particular story does not sound horrifying. LOTS of small businesses closed down shop for the 4th....I even saw it posted on one particular curriculum website...cant' remember which.

BUT that being said, I would love to hear IF the order does actually get shipped next week......that would be something to clap about....if it ships when WP says it will...WITHOUT several follow-up calls from you.

I actually think that's a super turn-around time for a small business in the heat of the rush season (WP's rush starts with their catalog's arrival in May and just gets worse until September).

Backorders- yes those can be a pain. Particularly if you are ordering a new release item. I don't believe anybody has received the new Hideaways spine yet, I think it is still at the printer.

I ordered TWO FULL THEMES from WP this year and had MOST items within 18 business days. I am still waiting on the Hideaways spine and two other items though. I need to call them- I wonder if there is any point in calling before the fourth?

Well, my husband ordered over the phone and he asked if anything was backordered and they said no, nothing was backordered. They also said that they probably wouldn't ship until after the 4th .... which really means nothing. So, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. And count myself lucky that everything is in stock, I guess!

I recently ordered a whole heckuva lot of books from them including 2 levels of QMA and accompanying readers. Apparently I placed the order on the very weekend that they were picking up and moving their house and company across the country. (It was on March 29). Anyway, they were admittedly rather slow in getting me every last one of the many books I ordered, but I felt in the loop and they were very upfront about what was going to ship when. As in, "we can get you some more of your books next Thursday but we're having issues with these 2." And so forth. I did call weekly because of tips I read here. I felt like a valuable customer every time and they always followed through with what they told me would happen. I think I had all of it within 6 weeks, but at no point was I worried that I wouldn't get it. (it was *really* hard to wait for some of it, though!)

Later, I felt like a total cad when I found out that one of my "nudging" phone calls happened days after they had been involved in a major flood in which they lost the family car (!) and a bunch of curriculum, too.

Basically, I do agree that it's a small family operation and that it's not as smooth as Amazon but I bought the whole package from WP and I would do it again. FWIW, I did intend to buy part from Amazon and part from WP but after I put it all in my Amazon cart and added it up, it actually came out $30 cheaper to buy it from WP because of the free guide if I bought the package. I think that's because I got a combine package though. Still, I definitely want to keep supporting this small company.

At this time of year, I think anything under a week is a decent time frame. They do have shipping issues at WP, but getting the original order out the door isn't usually one of them. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
I received part of my order about a week and a half ago but I'm still waiting for several books and timeline figures.

It's making it easier to choose between Winter Promise and Trail Guide to Learning, that's for sure!

Yeah, that's more like it. It took me months and umpteen phone calls to get my order last year. Good luck!