Menu

Standardized Testing...why didn't anyone tell me how bad this would be?

I decided to test my middle dd at home this year using the CAT 5. My oldest does fine with this at the testing facility but I knew middle dd would be overwhelmed. I thought doing it at home would take away all of the stress for her but I was wrong. She stresses through every section and we're only on the third one with seven more to go. I hate that our state requires this of us. We don't even have to turn the results in, which makes this whole thing ridiculous! Remind me next year to seek out other ways to get this done.:glare:

And how would anyone even know if you, you know, helped her through it? ;) I wouldn't let my kid get totally stressed out over some stupid standardized test that I didn't even have to turn into anybody.

Nance, who hates the idea of standardized testing anyhow.

Next year, she may do well with the Woodcock-Johnson. You'd have to find someone who is qualified to administer it, but it's gentle and most of it is oral even at the older level. Of course, there are some writing parts, but the child isn't made to feel as if they are "testing" so much as a timed test like the CAT.

I would teach her how to approach tests. A friend who joined the military had trouble getting the job he wanted because he kept bombing the ASVAB (I think that is the correct acronymn). He did fine on the practice tests, and he was very capable. But I guess he froze up on the official test.

Teach her to eliminate answers, take educated guesses, do all the problems she knows first, and be sure to mark the correct question number!

Can you do a shorter test, or easier, or break it up more? Maybe you can just print a practice test for something you could both learn, and apply these strategies together for fun. I just took the HAM radio exam, and I was very thankful for good test-coping strategies I've learned.

That said, I just realized you are talking about your 8 year old, I would definately try to decrease the stress in any way you can. Maybe you can challenge her to apply one testing strategy, like a game, and then have a little party when she is done?

HTH!

Amy

And how would anyone even know if you, you know, helped her through it? ;)

Hate to be like this but, seriously? Like it's not difficult enough to be taken seriously as a homeschooler at times. I think there is a company that doesn't sell iowas to hsers anymore because of this. Not to mention the message you are sending to the kid.

Like someone else said, sometimes you have to actually teach kids how to test and even then, they may never be comfortable with it :( If you can't do the portfolio thing, maybe you could spend the next year doing one minor, ungraded, timed test each week? Even including things like draw a picture of X in X minutes?

And how would anyone even know if you, you know, helped her through it? ;) I wouldn't let my kid get totally stressed out over some stupid standardized test that I didn't even have to turn into anybody.

Nance, who hates the idea of standardized testing anyhow.

Um... technically, the test is not to be helped by the teacher or parent. This also throws the scoring results for everyone who takes the test if we allow help. (I'm a former schoolteacher -- this is one of my pet peeves. Sorry.:glare: But I've seen fellow teachers get fired for doing what you are suggesting. And yes, it makes us homeschoolers look bad academically when you suggest to do this publicly.) Some years, your child will test great and others... well, it is a wash. It is meant to be a snapshot of where your child is at. You compare the results with their grades and other testing to get an idea of where their overall strengths and weaknesses are.

Personally to the OP: it sounds like there is some test anxiety? I've taught the primary grades and it is hard for them to focus. Make it fun. Plan the rest of the day for no school -- do a movie, for example. Encourage her but no criticism. Learning how to fill in a scantron sheet is confusing. I would not coach her on the correct answer. Have her get a good night's rest and a good (protein) breakfast -- it couldn't hurt to have her get used to testing as it will be like this for SAT/ACT and college. Take each section once a day... not all together in one swoop.

Edited by tex-mex

I would teach her how to approach tests. A friend who joined the military had trouble getting the job he wanted because he kept bombing the ASVAB (I think that is the correct acronymn). He did fine on the practice tests, and he was very capable. But I guess he froze up on the official test.

Teach her to eliminate answers, take educated guesses, do all the problems she knows first, and be sure to mark the correct question number!

Can you do a shorter test, or easier, or break it up more? Maybe you can just print a practice test for something you could both learn, and apply these strategies together for fun. I just took the HAM radio exam, and I was very thankful for good test-coping strategies I've learned.

That said, I just realized you are talking about your 8 year old, I would definately try to decrease the stress in any way you can. Maybe you can challenge her to apply one testing strategy, like a game, and then have a little party when she is done?

HTH!

Amy

Thanks for the ideas. I have actually done this for her. She is just my high stress kid. We've been discussing the "issues" in between tests and I think she feels a bit better after the last section. I went ahead and looked through her answers and she's done fairly well, given that she feels like this is high-pressure.

I'm sorry that you and your daughter have to jump through these silly hoops.

I would teach her how to approach tests.
:iagree:

The older girl that I nannied was terrified of ANY sort of timed test. My solution? (And this may sound horrible; brace yourself!) We did timed test every day.

First, the girl I nannied was much younger than your girl (2nd grade). We worked with math facts. I set a timer for three minutes everyday, and she ran through as many math facts as she could. We kept a chart and applauded her progress every day. It was tough at first, but she grew confident.

We also talked about eliminating answers in bubble tests, reading all the answers, and not getting stuck on one stupid question when you have 42 more to answer. The mom bought some practice tests by Spectrum. By the time she was taking the ITBS a year or so later, it was no big deal.

http://www.learningthings.com/items.asp?Cc=STANDARDIZED&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

I have always tested well and easily, but I hate the idea of students being evaluated by how they did during one hour of one day of the whole year. Unfortunately, there is a LOT of testing in our education system and our society, and I would hate to think of your daughter missing out like a previous poster's ASFAB friend on opportunities (jobs, scholarships, entrance into a program) because of stupid testing.

Help her with this skill. She can learn it.

Next year, she may do well with the Woodcock-Johnson. You'd have to find someone who is qualified to administer it, but it's gentle and most of it is oral even at the older level. Of course, there are some writing parts, but the child isn't made to feel as if they are "testing" so much as a timed test like the CAT.

:iagree:

I had my kids to the WJ....love it.

You don't even have to tell her it is a "test". You can tell her is a special assignment that someone else knows how to do and you are taking her to them.

Discuss with the administer that you don't want the terms quiz, test or exam or any other form of the words used.

:)

Um... technically, the test is not to be helped by the teacher or parent. This also throws the scoring results for everyone who takes the test if we allow help. (I'm a former schoolteacher -- this is one of my pet peeves. Sorry.:glare: But I've seen fellow teachers get fired for doing what you are suggesting. And yes, it makes us homeschoolers look bad academically when you suggest to do this publicly.) Some years, your child will test great and others... well, it is a wash. It is meant to be a snapshot of where your child is at. You compare the results with their grades and other testing to get an idea of where their overall strengths and weaknesses are.

Personally to the OP: it sounds like there is some test anxiety? I've taught the primary grades and it is hard for them to focus. Make it fun. Plan the rest of the day for no school -- do a movie, for example. Encourage her but no criticism. Learning how to fill in a scantron sheet is confusing. I would not coach her on the correct answer. Have her get a good night's rest and a good (protein) breakfast -- it couldn't hurt to have her get used to testing as it will be like this for SAT/ACT and college. Take each section once a day... not all together in one swoop.

I went to answer w/o refreshing the page but in answer to your pet peeve and the original comment about not coaching her, NO worries!;) I just couldn't do that. I explain as much as I think should be allowed beforehand and we don't talk again until the timer goes off. Then on to the next page. Her answers are hers alone.

As I said to her, this is merely a formality. The CAT 5, imo, is one of the worst ways to test a child because it really doesn't gauge the child's strengths and weaknesses. I just do it because it's required of me. Being with these kids day in and day out, I know where they struggle and where they excel. I would've done a different format had I realized dd would stress so badly. Lesson learned!

I will definitely be adding in more timed tests throughout the year from now on too.

You know I just had a thought about the test thing to.

Perhaps you can integrate tests slowly.

Start with one question (and make sure she knows it...make it an easy question) she will probably :001_huh:. but tell her yup it is a test.

Then move up to two. Again easy....work your way up in amounts and difficulty until she is just :001_rolleyes::toetap05: . "Moooooom...another one? Geez!"

The older girl that I nannied was terrified of ANY sort of timed test. My solution? (And this may sound horrible; brace yourself!) We did timed test every day.

We also talked about eliminating answers in bubble tests, reading all the answers, and not getting stuck on one stupid question when you have 42 more to answer. The mom bought some practice tests by Spectrum. By the time she was taking the ITBS a year or so later, it was no big deal.

http://www.learningthings.com/items.asp?Cc=STANDARDIZED&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

I have always tested well and easily, but I hate the idea of students being evaluated by how they did during one hour of one day of the whole year. Unfortunately, there is a LOT of testing in our education system and our society, and I would hate to think of your daughter missing out like a previous poster's ASFAB friend on opportunities (jobs, scholarships, entrance into a program) because of stupid testing.

Help her with this skill. She can learn it.

I wish someone would have worked with my test phobia when I was 8. I finally conquered it all by my self 16 years later, and it made my 20's more difficult than it should have been. Even when I near 30 a school kicked my application out because I'd never taken the SATs. I pushed the GRE across the table at them, but they couldn't plug it into their computer program.

I have purposeful graded some of my son's work and NOT told him the score, so that he would be accustomed to it. Perfectionist Boy hated the K and 1st grade test, but this year he took it in stride. Didn't even ask "how he did". No meltdowns at all. It is possible to lesson the stress with exposure. :grouphug: Best of luck!

I've done a few searches but I cannot find anything definitive about the PASS test...... Anyone from WA know if PASS is accepted?

Carli, we use the PASS test here in Washington. I did the research a couple of years ago and it IS accepted. Washington requires that the test meet a requirement that I just tried to find (so I could post it here), but I couldn't get the pdf of the "pink book" to come up. Anyway, the requirement is that the test have been approved by a specific independent testing agency, and I searched that agency's list when I did my research, and the PASS test was listed. So even though the state information doesn't specifically name the PASS, the organization that the state uses does. Hope that makes sense. I'll keep trying to find the name of that organization and the link to where you can see this.

DO use it, esp. for the younger ages. You can get it from Hewitt Homeschooling -- which is located not far from you! (or online)

ETA: Here it is (the text from our law): "Parents providing home-based instruction for their children may use any standardized achievement test that has been evaluated by Buros Institute of Mental Measurements (http://www.unl.edu/buros), the test evaluation organization recognized by the State Board of Education under WAC 180-52-070." If you go to the link in that text, click where it says "Test Reviews Online!" Then do a search for "Personalized Achievement Summary System" (which is what PASS stands for). Finally, click on the link that comes up for this test, and a pop-up window will show you that they've reviewed this test, which is the Washington state requirement.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!

Edited by milovaný

I have my children use the McCall-Crabbs Standard Test Lessons in Reading during the year to help them practice the art of taking a timed test. If you are unfamiliar, it is a 3 minute test to read a section and answer 8 questions. These come in different reading levels. Has the numbers and the bubbles to fill in. I do this to just help them be used to "testing". We too live in WA and use the CAT. Since I am not good about doing written tests in general, this is a low pressure (and not time intensive) way to practice the skill. The only other test we do regularly is their spelling tests. :001_smile:

I've done a few searches but I cannot find anything definitive about the PASS test...... Anyone from WA know if PASS is accepted?

According to what I found, yes it is accepted.

Quoting from here:

3. What are the approved standardized tests?

Parents providing home-based instruction for their children may use any standardized achievement test that has been evaluated by Buros Institute of Mental Measurements (www.unl.edu/buros), the test evaluation organization recognized by the State Board of Education under WAC 180-52-070.

Quoting from here:

© Parents may use a standardized test that does not appear on the list of examples if it has been evaluated by a test evaluation organization recognized by the state board of education and cited on the state board web page.

And finally, from Buros Institute of Mental Measurements:

Scroll down the page to "Personalized Achievement Summary System" and click on its link. A new window will open, giving the following info:

Title: Personalized Achievement Summary System

Author: Hewitt Research Foundation

Purpose: Designed to provide information useful for monitoring academic progress, selecting curriculum and evaluating and planning instructional programming in home school settings.

Acronym: PASS

Note:

Publisher: Hewitt Homeschooling Resources

Publisher address: Hewitt Homeschooling Resources, P.O. Box 9, 2103 Main Street, Washougal, WA 98684; Telephone: 800-890-4097; FAX: 360-835-8697; Email: info@hewitthomeschooling.com; Web: www.hewitthomeschooling.com

Reviewed In: Spies, R. A., & Plake, B. S. (Eds.). (2005). The sixteenth mental measurements yearbook. Lincoln, NE: Buros Institute of Mental Measurements.

After researching all this, I gave my children the PASS test this spring. :)

I told my K level dd that the test was like a game, to see if they could trick her into not finding the right answer. She was determined that no, they would not trick her. She loved taking the tests and considered it a fun game. I would order the test, and then a few weeks later she would come zooming down the driveway shouting with glee, "The test is here! The test is here!"

Now, granted, I did do a few things in a nontraditional way. For example, if she wanted to lie on her tummy and take part of the test, I let her. If she decided she needed a snack between sections, I would allow that, or as many bathroom breaks as necessary.

Based on these early experiences, she still loves testing.