Menu

clothing advice needed- feminine but practical?

I would really like to make the effort to look nicer for my husband. The baby is almost 5 months old, and I'm feeling very unattractive. I am also overweight, and not just from baby fat. I had gained about 15-20 lbs before the baby, then gained 40 with the baby, and have only lost about 25. Anyway, I tend to wear sweat pants or exercise shorts around the house, ones that are all baggy and such,with a t-shirt with no bra or a sleep bra. I have sensory issues, so this is what is comfortable. But,I feel it does my marriage no good to have my husband see me like this all the time. I need some ideas for COMFORTABLE, slimming, nursing friendly clothing that I can wear around the house. I was thinking sundresses, but nursing is hard in that. Maybe some big skirts and tank tops? But finding inexpensive, big, flattering skirts...ugh.

Any suggestions, links, pictures, etc would be great. What do you wear?

Why just not more fitted clothing? Not tight, but fitted. Instead of baggy sweats, what about cute capri yoga pants and a cute more fitted top (Old Navy, Gap...nothing crazy)? Wear a bra you like. It doesn't have to be a nursing bra. I often lifted my bra cup up or down...I never liked white nursing bras...I like my (mostly) black regular bras....lol. Also, make sure it fits and holds you so you are comfortable. Sometimes heavy breasts can hurt your back. A good bra can help. But remember that you *just* had a baby!! Babies are exhausting.

But I understand wanting to feel good even when you have a new baby. What about one of those Lee skorts or Lands End ones someone posted here the other day? They are very cute without being too short. I like Nike or other sporty/tennis skirts. They keep you coverd (they have attached knit shorts!) and you can move without worrying you're showing thigh or undies. My sister was wearing a cute peasant skirt the other day that she said was from Old Navy. It was so cute I was considering going to the mall...although I didn't. lol If you like longer skirts, it might be worth a trip.

I also dont think it takes much for our dhs who love us to find us attractive. Freshly showered and a clean skirt with a fresh tank pretty much does it for my dh. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

What's your price range? If you can afford to put a little money into it, the clothes from J. Jill are feminine, flowy, super comfortable, and will last forever. They're also SO versatile!

And lots of linen for summer!

A pair of soft linen pants or a pretty skirt...ah.

thanks. The problem with the yoga pants is i feel really self concious in something that tight..likr every bulge is showing :(

I love Title IV. They cut their yoga pants for women...they are not like bike long running pants or bike shorts. They might still be too fitted for your tastes, I totally get that. Lee has some very flattering cuts in pants, capris, skirts, skorts etc for women. Kohl's carries Lee. You can try on the cute pink skirt at the same time! :D

jjill.com is having a huge sale right now :D

LOVE their clothes and I was able to get some linen pants in their clearance section for under $10 this spring.

Speaking of jjill.com, I need to see what I can find over there. Like you, I like femine, yet practicle clothing. What I found the best is sundresses with a pair of excercise (tight fitting) shorts under-neath.

Old Navy has a lot of cute "flowy" casual skirts for sale right now.

Also, about the yoga pants... I have 2 pair that are cotton and not clingy at all. In fact I started buying them when I was post-partum 6 years ago. I'm never without at least 2 pair. Most recently, I bought some at New York & Co. They come in 3 lengths.

When I was nursing in the summer, I liked to wear a tank and a pretty sleeveless blouse/shirt opened with a pair of black or navy knit capris. The dark capris hid my fat. The blouse hides the tummy. The tank can be lifted for nursing, and the blouse isn't in the way.

Good find! I think wearing a skirt is a great pick-me-up, both mentally and wardrobe-ly. :) I also like wearing a denim skirt because it crosses the seasons so easily, but not as comfortable for nursing a new baby around the clock as that soft skirt you linked to.

Get a couple of new, better fitting tops too. Add some nice sandals and you'll feel so much more put together.

ETA: What do you think of black leggings and a cute summery dress over the top? My favorite fashion blog/forum is youlookfab.com ... the blogger is really friendly and helpful, and the forum has women of all ages, sizes and seasons of life. :)

Edited by ChrisOR

When I was nursing in the summer, I liked to wear a tank and a pretty sleeveless blouse/shirt opened with a pair of black or navy knit capris. The dark capris hid my fat. The blouse hides the tummy. The tank can be lifted for nursing, and the blouse isn't in the way.

This is similar to what I wore a lot while nursing - a nice tank top and a button down shirt open over it (which I could button up easily if someone came to the door or I had to run out). On bottom, I'd wear dark colored yoga pants, capris or jeans. My yoga pants are not tight or clingy at all, more like fitted sweats. I liked that the button down shirt covered a bit of my butt/waist from the back and sides so the bulges weren't as noticable. :tongue_smilie:

I also hardly ever wear a "real" bra - nothing or a camisole top is it. Nobody is going to refer to mine as heavy though - I was barely a C cup at the height of nursing.

I love flowy skirts but I find them impractical and uncomfortable. Every time I need to squat down or kneel for something (picking up toys or kids, etc.) I'd end up stepping on it when I got back up or tripping over it climbing a step ladder or stairs. I also feel like flowy skirts make me look fatter but that could just be me.

I love the look and feel of linen but it always seems to wrinkle so easily. Are the J. Jill ones wrinkle-free? I absolutely hate ironing.

The JJill stuff is lovely, but money is tight now, so I'll have stick to Kohls I think. I like the idea of the button shirt over the tank, although I have to watch that I don't get too "wide" looking, as I'm so short I tend to look like a cube :)

I'll let you know what I get at Kohls, I'm going to try to get two new bottoms, and maybe a top or two.

The JJill stuff is lovely, but money is tight now, so I'll have stick to Kohls I think. I like the idea of the button shirt over the tank, although I have to watch that I don't get too "wide" looking, as I'm so short I tend to look like a cube :)

I'll let you know what I get at Kohls, I'm going to try to get two new bottoms, and maybe a top or two.

Did you check out their clearance section? I *never* pay full price for things ;)

Also, check e-bay. I just found a polo-style dress in a pretty blue for $15 with free shipping. These are really pretty and comfy :) Now just to bleach my white canvas shoes so I can have them to wear once again.

For tanks, Costco has had some great tank tops lately for great prices. I think you get two tanks for $12-13 or thereabouts. They are great for an under layer and are easy to pull down for nursing. If you pull the tank down and an over shirt up, then baby can nurse while you are covered up. I wear those tanks layered under other shirts all the time and love them.

I like bedfordfair.com for skirts, though they don't have much in their clearance section right now. Check back... I've gotten great deals from them. They do have this broomstick skirt on clearance that is really pretty:

http://www.bedfordfair.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=27448&parentCategoryId=914&categoryId=949&

Here's the link to all of their skirts:

http://www.bedfordfair.com/catalog/category.jsp?parentCategoryId=911&categoryId=921

On skirts, I would look for elastic waist and/or drawstring waist. Those are more forgiving of changing waistlines. Then just wear a shirt over the waist line and no one will see the elastic. ;)

Right now, I have on this skirt. I have one in brown and another in gray. You cannot help but feel pretty in a skirt, even a casual skirt. I usually pair with a cute tee or tank top and pair of flip-flops. Easy, casual, but very ..... oh let's say "inviting" to dh;).

Look around on the Old Navy site. They are having a 30% off sale through the 29th. I love their longer, flowy skirts. Good luck!