Menu

Why does picking a history curriculum HAVE to be so draining???

michaeljenn

So, I am literally losing sleep over HISTORY!! I am trying to choose from TOG, Sonlight 7 or just stick to TWTM!!

My thoughts on Sonlight... All planned out for me:001_smile:, but I don't like how fast it moves through the time periods... I could spread it out over 2 years and add to it. However, I would need to do 2 cores... one for my olders 13&12 and one for my younger 9yo. I am not sure that I can pull that off with a 4 and 2yo:glare:

TOG- Easy to combine all children on the same time period. But, it looks like quite a bit a prep work:tongue_smilie: I know I would probably fizzle out??? I don't know:confused:

TWTM- I would have to find readers and plan it all out. I actually don't mind doing this, but I do not have time to pre-read everything to know if they are really "gettting" the books. On the other hand, they are great narrators and usually tell me in detail about books they are reading???

And, of course I would really like for my children to all be on the same time period. We gave MFW Rome to the Reformation a try and it did not go so well. Alot of the stuff went over my 8yo head, while my oldest was bored and wanted more!!!!

So... I need one of you gals to make this decision for me:lol::lol: Pretty Please:D

Seriously, what advice do you have, given the ages of my children.. which will be by fall 13, 12, 9, 4 and 2. Idears???

Classically structured, lots of fun activities, perfect for your age levels, open and go history curriculum. Little to no prep work. MOH1 and 2 are out w/ 3 due out any time. You can see samples at http://www.brightideaspress.com.

We've really enjoyed MOH1 and will use MOH2 and MFW RtR after our year break to do MFW ECC. I also recommend Diana Waring's History Alive curriculum. You can purchase her books at Answers In Genesis website as they have taken over as her publisher. Very different approach...appeals to many different styles of learning. Those are 2 that I can think of. HTH! Choosing curriculum can be so daunting.

Just do SOTW & AG with 9yo and the older ones do SL as planned. If you can't read SOTW aloud have 9yo listen on cd & JUST do discussion questions in SOTW AG. That way you can keep all dc in same history period & have it laid out for you w/ little/prep planning. If you spread SL 7 over 2 years you can add in some Am. Hx and make it a 3 yr history cycle.

would be a good fit. I plan to start SL6 when my dc are 12, 10 & 7 and for the 12 & 10 yos to use it fully and for the 7 yo to use as much as she'll enjoy and I will also use the SOTW AGs to add in kiddie lit and activities and some SL lit from Cores 1&2 for my little one. I can't wait. You could certainly spread those 2 cores over 3 or more years if you want. I've gotten the 5 day programs (Core 3 last year and now 4) and I struggle to finish them in 12 mos. You could SO easily spread them out longer. I love SL. I think it takes so many of the wonderful ideas of WTM approach to history and makes it SO MUCH EASIER for me since I don't have to trek to library, make plans, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions..

Stephanie- we wanted to start with Core 7 because we have already read SOTW 1 and 2, as well as Augustus Ceasars World and World of Colombus and Sons.

Again, thanks!! I have yet to make a decision, but everyones advice so far, is getting me closer!

My kids will be 13, 9, 7, 2, and newborn next year. So I have a similar middle school/middle elementry kids to teach.

I have decided on SOTW 3 for the 9 and 7 year olds and History Odyssey Level 2 Early Modern for the oldest.

HO seems to be pretty easy for her to do quite a bit on her own, and is already planned out for every day.

I've even decided to get the CD's for SOTW, so when we actually get to history, maybe I can focus on more of the fun activites, instead of reading the book.

For me sticking with WTM worked best. First we did SOTW, then I fell in love with TOG which I bought only to find that I didn't like it so much. Now we're doing SOTW 3 and couldn't be happier. Yeah, I have to track down books and do lots of planning because I have dc of all ages but I'm a planaholic. :)

All the best in your planning.:)

Sonlight 7 is awesome! I would use it, get the activity guides to go with SOTW to add in activities and books for the 9 yo and then maybe add the tests that go with SOTW for the older two. This is what I am doing with core 6 next year and it just looks so good! Not to mention that with sonlight everything is included, right down to the schedule.

I also highly recommend Mystery of History.

We've tried Sonlight Core6 -- it's TOO MUCH for my 9yo. The readers are beyond him, and he threw FITS at having to read them. Covered his ears when I tried to read to him. (Okay, so we deal with a little more than most people maybe, but you see my point.)

Winter Promise is a packaged deal like Sonlight, all planned out for you. Uses Mystery of History instead of Story of the World, fewer readers, available for multi ages, more hands-on stuff than SL. I'd get it had I the money.

Best wishes!

I'm voting for Tapestry. There is prep work, but not as much as putting it all together yourself ala WTM. All the kids in the same time period, each at their own level. Wonderful teacher's notes, discussion outlines, etc.

One of the reasons I went with ToG over SL was because I knew with SL I'd eventually have to buy more than 1 core, which can just get outrageously expensive, plus the idea of having to keep up with more than one strand of history overwhelms me. :)

All of that being said, they're all great programs - so the best one is the one that will actually get done. Make a list of all the pros/cons for each one, and pick from there.

GL!

Melissa

This is a la WTM, but already scheduled out for you. You would have to get accompanying readers, but they are listed and scheduled, so it is more a matter of shopping rather than planning. ;) You would need their year 3. I was in your same boat a few weeks ago, and I certainly felt better having made a decision. I, too, was losing sleep! Biblioplan has readers scheduled by age groups as well as scheduled read-alouds. We really liked MOH as well, but, for you, even the new MOH 3 (which isn't out yet) would have some overlap with what you have already covered. Now, there are NOT discussion question/commentary or all the bells and whistles that SL or TOG would have. There is NONE of that. However, I just didn't think I needed that *much* since we do history aloud together now.

Just another thought to muddy the waters. But, if you have been happy with the WTM method, this might make it a tad easier.

Sonlight Core6 -- it's TOO MUCH for my 9yo

:iagree: When I did SL's Core 6, I had thought that I could just add in my then 2nd grader reading the SOTW and using the Activity Guide, but SL zips through them SOTW books at a pace that was way to fast for my younger! Thankfully I had Core 1 to do with him as well. I did use SOTW with him, but we only did book one and used the Act Guide narrations, mapping, and coloring pages. With the added Core 1 history books (minus CHOW) we had a wonderful school year and my son learned gobs!

All this to say; don't expect your youngers to keep up with the Core 6 or Core 7 schedule. It will be too much for them to absorb. They will not really understand the read-alouds, nor care too much for them on a whole, and forget about the readers!!! You would definitely have to get separate readers for them...some of the readers will even be difficult for an average 6th-7th grader.

For the OP: If your still considering doing your own thing the WTM way...I am not sure what would be so time consuming with TOG redesign? It's all scheduled out for you by the week, and all your children would be doing the same history. They even have SOTW scheduled out for you as an alternate resource. Seems pretty simple to me. :confused:

I think my siggy at the bottom will take you to a free sample CD of redesign y1. You might want to check it out thoroughly before you make your final decision. Just a thought.

I think Winter Promise's Quest for the Ancient World is a great recommendation as well. ;)

Biblioplan has everything scheduled for you. It includes your history readings, read-alouds for everyone to do together, and readers for the different age groups. It includes timeline work and map work. It also has suggestions for writing assignments. I'm using the Ancients with SOTW and MOH. We are also using the SOTW AG to add some activities and hands-on. BP is very full and you don't have to do everything. No, there is no commentary which is exactly what I wanted... the books themselves are your commentary and it's plenty, in my opinion. I like that it follows the four year cycle, integrates Bible and Church history, and is very user friendly with children of different ages. And another plus is that you can download it immediately and get busy!

We are doing MOH with SOTW. My 8 year old understands SOTW a lot better , but my 11 year old needed more meat & was really interested in Church History. They work really well together. You can pick a project or student pages if you want. You can just read that week if that's all you have time for. I like that flexibility.

We have the SOTW CD's as well for the kids to listen to whenever. When they are interested in a subject/time period we can get DVD's or supplemental books from the library.

I just look ahead for the next few weeks to see if there is something that interests me. I can plan for that or ask if anyone wants to do that. We are pretty relaxed and most of our learning is from reading, so this has worked really well for us. We are just starting a Book of Centuries as well.

I realized I just needed to pick something and stick with it. I enjoyed our unit study years, but my boys actually started to need some more guidance. So, I like that I can just pick up and go when I need to or plan when I have the time.

I too am struggling with my decision over history. But, I thought I'd tell you what I'm thinking of doing--see what you think about this.

Oldest dd needs a little more to do independently, so core 7 for her, but done over 2 years. I'll have her work until she finishes SOTW 3, and I'm thinking I would supplement other books as needed to make half of core 7 last one year. The following year, we do the rest (SOTW 4 and accompanying books)

I'll probably use Biblioplan or Truthquest for my 7 and 10 year olds. My thinking is that this way, we can stay together, but my 7th grader will have more of the challenge she is needing.

I know that not many of you know me, but I just had to comment when I read your subject line. I have said the very same thing about History. :willy_nilly:

In our meager homeschool career (not so meager, 11 years) I've tried Sonlight, TruthQuest History, Greenleaf, and one that I can't remember the name. :glare: I've been with TOG for four years now.

TOG is so versatile! It does move quickly, especially year two. If we fell into something we enjoy, we'll just take an extra week. I use SOTW as a spine for my youngers and assign the reading for the olders. Love it!

Print out one of the three week trials of TOG and plan it out as if you were to teach it. It would give you a feel for what it would be like. I really think that TOG is the closet to WTM without all of the planning.

If you don't like it, you could try Sonlight. They offer a great return policy, so you could try it for 6 weeks and send it back if you don't like it.

I have followed your posts, and I know that this is a really hard decision for you. Try not to stress it.

I used to try something new every year, looking for something that would work for us. Each year some new challenge would arise, new baby, sickness, etc. and we would change gears.

What I have realized is that I LOVE WTM method and everything I have used helps me to follow it. I have never strayed far from the method, I have just found things that help me implement it better.

Let the curriculum be a tool to do what you love, don't be a slave to someone else's plan.

HTH

Why does picking a history curriculum HAVE to be so draining???

I love to look at my options and hate to make any decision (not just over history curriculum). I think somewhere inside of me is a part that wants *angst* over decisions. It's kinda sad. I think it is fear of making a mistake. Did I mention that I'm a perfectionist?

I love to look at my options and hate to make any decision (not just over history curriculum). I think somewhere inside of me is a part that wants *angst* over decisions. It's kinda sad. I think it is fear of making a mistake. Did I mention that I'm a perfectionist?

So true! I am just getting started here, planning for 1st grade, and all the choices are overwhelming. Even when I have something chosen, it's difficult not to wonder if there is something else better suited out there- so I feel compelled to look! We're leaning toward Biblioplan ourselves...

Wow, and here I thought I was the only one who really had trouble making decisions! :lurk5:

I just wanted to thank everyone for your suggestions... I still have not come to a conclusion:glare:, but am leaning towards Sonlight. I am thinking of spreading Core 7 out over 2 years, and adding in more books, projects, ect..

That way we can absorb the material and my younger child can benefit from it. Then, We will move on to Core 100, while my younger does Core 3 and 4.

I really want to study JUST American History in depth as well.

I STILL have TOG on my mind, but if I have to pull it all together, I just don't think I will follow through with it:tongue_smilie: But, I LOVED what I saw... so I guess that makes be a "box checker" homeschooler:glare:

THANKS!!!

I just wanted to thank everyone for your suggestions... I still have not come to a conclusion:glare:, but am leaning towards Sonlight. I am thinking of spreading Core 7 out over 2 years, and adding in more books, projects, ect..

That way we can absorb the material and my younger child can benefit from it. Then, We will move on to Core 100, while my younger does Core 3 and 4.

I really want to study JUST American History in depth as well.

I STILL have TOG on my mind, but if I have to pull it all together, I just don't think I will follow through with it:tongue_smilie: But, I LOVED what I saw... so I guess that makes be a "box checker" homeschooler:glare:

THANKS!!!

Check into All American History if you want a textbook, notebooking, living books mix. You can see samples at Bright Ideas Press.