Menu

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm STILL reading this thread, but wanted to insert something here.

It won't help anyone that already has books, however, those new books that you will be ordering. Consider ebooks. Why? Because you can divide them up by week. If you want to write notes on them for current child you can, just replace those pages for the next child.

I have FLL and WWE in pdf. LOVE it. Each child can use them, and no - honey you can't write on it because your little sister needs to use them. I have a corresponding mom file, where I put the IG pages in. So when it comes to that subject, it is easy to have handy as well.

Can't resell them... but I can reuse them as often as needed. Great for creating reviews too where needed. They are a little cheaper to buy and no shipping costs. So it is a win win. I save as much as I could resell them for. So I come out even or ahead. It does cost a little to print, but no worse than photocopies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4evercanucks viewpost.gif

One thing though, someone will need to be responsible for the filing after they are done. This could equal clutter if you can't stay on top of things.

Oh, yes. This is what I fear. If I have them work directly out of the folder all week and then just put it back into the crate at week's end, that would work. But then I'd need to be sure the folders will hold up. :tongue_smilie:

One suggestion for this, is having a 'dump' file for each child. I have them set up that the girls will put their completed files in that. And I will correct them and put away. That way I have some accountability in grading the papers, or I'll end up with WEEKS at a time. The 2 older girls each have a sterilite container that can hold files.

Quote:

http://www.dvo.com/binders.html#32 This is for the mama looking for binder inserts for index cards. I think the binders themselves look really neat, but they also sell just the inserts (only 4 per page though)

THANK YOU !!!!!! I can just put 2 cards back to back in a slot, thus making 8. I LOVE IT. Hmmmmmmmmmm now just to see about money, I got my RR book today and have 1000 things circled...oh yeah and my Amazon cart is loaded and waiting......

What about looking in the photo album section at Wal-mart and just getting the photo inserts for 3.5 x5 prints?

How are you all scheduling/filing things like AAS and MUS that are mastery based? In MUS, for example, in some lessons a child can breeze through one practice page, maybe one cumulative review page, ace the test and be ready to move on to the next lesson in no time flat. Other lessons may need all the practice pages, all the cumulative review pages, maybe a few additional sessions playing with the manipulatives or doing supplementary worksheets, and may drag on a lot longer. Same thing with AAS lessons. How are these filed?

How are you all scheduling/filing things like AAS and MUS that are mastery based? In MUS, for example, in some lessons a child can breeze through one practice page, maybe one cumulative review page, ace the test and be ready to move on to the next lesson in no time flat. Other lessons may need all the practice pages, all the cumulative review pages, maybe a few additional sessions playing with the manipulatives or doing supplementary worksheets, and may drag on a lot longer. Same thing with AAS lessons. How are these filed?

I'm actually not filing math or AAS, since they can go faster or slower. I am filing things that will simply be done in order and won't be sped up, like WWE, FLL, our WP core, and science.

We use MUS and I pulled out several pages for each lesson (but not all because we never use all the pages) so 3-4 pages. Then I have them work two pages, if they don't make any errors and I think they understand I will give them the test. If they make 100 on the test they move on and I file the extras in the appropriate notebook (one for each level with extra pages stored). Does that make sense? If we have problems with something (hasn't happened yet) then I will pull more pages from the notebook or print off practice from the web.

I'm actually not filing math or AAS, since they can go faster or slower. I am filing things that will simply be done in order and won't be sped up, like WWE, FLL, our WP core, and science.

I'm not filing AAS or math either. Actually I'm not filing WWE or FLL either. I am going to file blank copywork paper for each kiddo so I don't have to go finding it in the morning when they are waiting to start. We are using a loop schedule this year for the first time, so I made a generic loop flow chart, and I'm printing one for each week. In the flow chart boxes for things like math, AAS, WWE and FLL, I put check-off boxes, so as we work through our weekly hanging files, I can check off as we complete lessons. So, it's still a visual for me to see what was planned and what we accomplished without having to figure out how to file certain subjects.

The only subjects I'm filing are history (H.O.), science, US History, Latin, and art (if applicable).

I'm not filing AAS or math either. Actually I'm not filing WWE or FLL either. I am going to file blank copywork paper for each kiddo so I don't have to go finding it in the morning when they are waiting to start. We are using a loop schedule this year for the first time, so I made a generic loop flow chart, and I'm printing one for each week. In the flow chart boxes for things like math, AAS, WWE and FLL, I put check-off boxes, so as we work through our weekly hanging files, I can check off as we complete lessons. So, it's still a visual for me to see what was planned and what we accomplished without having to figure out how to file certain subjects.

The only subjects I'm filing are history (H.O.), science, US History, Latin, and art (if applicable).

:001_smile:I really like your generic loop flow chart idea . . . I'm trying to visualize this. What program did you use to make it? I want to try that . . . we never succeed with a "block" schedule and I think a loop/weekly files hybrid might help me.

Is your chart for everyone to share for the week OR does each child get a loop/flow chart as they might move at different paces through subject matter?

Are your weekly hanging files the ones we're all making for the year OR have you done something a little different to organize your kiddos for the week?

Edited by abrightmom
typos

we are just in MUS primer now but I am not filling the MUS workbook. I took mine apart and put it into a 3 ring binder. We just start where we left off each day. I made progress charts for my programs that I was keeping in books like MUS, 100EZ and SSRW. I attached two of the charts that I made. I will just keep these charts in the file for the week then move them along to the next week and mark them off as we progress. I am still deciding if I want to do the same for SM or just write what we do each day on the planner card in the library pocket.

100ez progress chart.pdf

MUS progress chart.pdf

100ez progress chart.pdf

MUS progress chart.pdf

Oh no!!! I got my FLL3 workbook, and the lessons carry on the backs of many pages, so I don't think it will really work in files. :( What is everyone else doing? I wasn't going to break it up but it's a big thick book and I know DS will dislike writing from it intact.

Why don't you bring it to a copy shop and have the spine removed, they have them bind the student book and IG part. Then the books won't be so huge. you could also NOT bind the student book....

WoW-o-wOw! What a great thread!

I read it today... :svengo:

I have been planning files even prior to finding the thread. This just helps clarify the mission.

Today I got the last of the books, so I am ready to jump into it. I *was* going to do only 6 weeks. But now I'm going for the whole year!

Tomorrow, since I'm done painting today, will be school area clean up(aka the overstocked book shelf). I need to put away some curriculum for later. Clean out the file box. Start getting it together.

It'll be so much fun!!!

I am combining with the workbox method. Using drawer systems. The filebox is for me, it'll make the loading of boxes easy :)

Thanks to everyone for the fantabulous thread!!!!

:001_smile:I really like your generic loop flow chart idea . . . I'm trying to visualize this. What program did you use to make it? I want to try that . . . we never succeed with a "block" schedule and I think a loop/weekly files hybrid might help me.

Is your chart for everyone to share for the week OR does each child get a loop/flow chart as they might move at different paces through subject matter?

Are your weekly hanging files the ones we're all making for the year OR have you done something a little different to organize your kiddos for the week?

Here is the flow chart I made. (I hope that works - I had to figure out Google Docs. :tongue_smilie: ) I made it in Pages from iWorks (I'm guessing MS Word or Publisher would do the same thing). I print it two-sided. On the front, I write the basics for each "lesson" for most lessons (for PreK/Independent work, math, and AAS, I just put a check mark for each completed lesson). So, for Latin this week, it reads:

#1: Ch. 1 DVD lesson

#2: chant, book lesson

#3: pg. 5

#4: pg. 6

For Elective, it reads:

#1: H.O. SOTW, picture

#2: H.O. map

#3: Lab 1:5 - weather journal (unit 1, lab 5 for REAL Science)

#4: Lab 1:6 - reasons for seasons

On the back, I write a bit more in terms of notes. Under history, for map work, I'll jot down the various things that need to be found/marked on that week's map. For art, I'll write the supplies we'll need and any notes like, "Take a nature walk to collect ideas for sketch."

The top part of the chart is Monday through Thursday's work. The goal is to make it through the loop 4 times. Whatever isn't done is done first thing on Friday morning, and then we do US History and Art (and probably Nature Walk, but that's not on there and I don't know if I will add it). So, on good weeks, we only have US History and art on Fridays (and reading - that is daily, two times a day).

When I'm filing my weekly hanging files for history, science, US history, and Latin, I'm also writing our lesson plans on my loop. The loop pages get filed in the front of each hanging file, with the current week's loop in my lesson plan book (where I write what we do *after* we do it ;) ).

For now I only have one flow chart for me. This year we are transitioning ds#1 from mostly Mom-led in terms of assignments to a bit more him-led. Next year the goal is to make two flow charts; one is for me to follow and one will be for him to follow, with my assistance. By middle school (two years away - yikes!), I think I might make him a "plan book" at Kinkos and write in his assignments for the year and have him be much more responsible for getting things done. But, we have to work on that slowly with him.

My hanging files are the ones we are all doing. I only keep 6-weeks at a time in our homeschooling area as I don't have the space or the desire to have them all out. So, the other 30 weeks are kept in my file cabinet by my desk in the other room. I don't file per kid within my hanging files though - the things I tend to have photocopied are all subjects we do together. The subjects they do on their own level are things I don't file (math, AAS, WWE, FLL). Clear as mud? :D

By the way, I made these strips for each boy along with these progress charts. I was inspired by reading the Workboxes book, but did not want to do workboxes. I have a lot of those little velcro squares for a variety of subjects ... in the morning, I set up their strips according to where we are on our loop schedule and we work through them. We are still getting in the groove so we have yet to set a time-limit to our daily work (my goal is no more than 3 1/2 hours of schoolwork, but I'm not sure if it'll be that or closer to 4 hours for the day).

we are just in MUS primer now but I am not filling the MUS workbook. I took mine apart and put it into a 3 ring binder. We just start where we left off each day. I made progress charts for my programs that I was keeping in books like MUS, 100EZ and SSRW. I attached two of the charts that I made. I will just keep these charts in the file for the week then move them along to the next week and mark them off as we progress. I am still deciding if I want to do the same for SM or just write what we do each day on the planner card in the library pocket.

I filed the MUS workbook (Beta), but I had to guess at how quickly he'll be moving through it. It's hard to predict which lessons will only take a day or two and which will take weeks. :P I may not file the next one, depending on how much we'll have to shift papers around.

:D:D Progress charts are a fabulous idea!!!! There is something tangible to put in each week's folder (actually to move from week to week) with the end goal in view (how many lessons one hopes to have accomplished by year's end) but it allows for the needed flexibility. I LOVE it and I'm using this for many of our subjects.

:D:D Progress charts are a fabulous idea!!!! There is something tangible to put in each week's folder (actually to move from week to week) with the end goal in view (how many lessons one hopes to have accomplished by year's end) but it allows for the needed flexibility. I LOVE it and I'm using this for many of our subjects.

I like the idea of progress charts! I think AAS comes with one; I'll have to pull it out and photocopy for each boy. I might take your idea and make one for math for each of them too. Thanks for the idea! :D

We use MUS and I pulled out several pages for each lesson (but not all because we never use all the pages) so 3-4 pages. Then I have them work two pages, if they don't make any errors and I think they understand I will give them the test. If they make 100 on the test they move on and I file the extras in the appropriate notebook (one for each level with extra pages stored). Does that make sense? If we have problems with something (hasn't happened yet) then I will pull more pages from the notebook or print off practice from the web.

So...if I understand you correctly, you pull them out as needed and file them after the lessons are completed, rather than filing them in advance by week so you can pull out "this week's math lessons"?

Here is the flow chart I made. (I hope that works - I had to figure out Google Docs. :tongue_smilie: ) I made it in Pages from iWorks (I'm guessing MS Word or Publisher would do the same thing). I print it two-sided. On the front, I write the basics for each "lesson" for most lessons (for PreK/Independent work, math, and AAS, I just put a check mark for each completed lesson). So, for Latin this week, it reads:

#1: Ch. 1 DVD lesson

#2: chant, book lesson

#3: pg. 5

#4: pg. 6

For Elective, it reads:

#1: H.O. SOTW, picture

#2: H.O. map

#3: Lab 1:5 - weather journal (unit 1, lab 5 for REAL Science)

#4: Lab 1:6 - reasons for seasons

On the back, I write a bit more in terms of notes. Under history, for map work, I'll jot down the various things that need to be found/marked on that week's map. For art, I'll write the supplies we'll need and any notes like, "Take a nature walk to collect ideas for sketch."

The top part of the chart is Monday through Thursday's work. The goal is to make it through the loop 4 times. Whatever isn't done is done first thing on Friday morning, and then we do US History and Art (and probably Nature Walk, but that's not on there and I don't know if I will add it). So, on good weeks, we only have US History and art on Fridays (and reading - that is daily, two times a day).

When I'm filing my weekly hanging files for history, science, US history, and Latin, I'm also writing our lesson plans on my loop. The loop pages get filed in the front of each hanging file, with the current week's loop in my lesson plan book (where I write what we do *after* we do it ;) ).

For now I only have one flow chart for me. This year we are transitioning ds#1 from mostly Mom-led in terms of assignments to a bit more him-led. Next year the goal is to make two flow charts; one is for me to follow and one will be for him to follow, with my assistance. By middle school (two years away - yikes!), I think I might make him a "plan book" at Kinkos and write in his assignments for the year and have him be much more responsible for getting things done. But, we have to work on that slowly with him.

My hanging files are the ones we are all doing. I only keep 6-weeks at a time in our homeschooling area as I don't have the space or the desire to have them all out. So, the other 30 weeks are kept in my file cabinet by my desk in the other room. I don't file per kid within my hanging files though - the things I tend to have photocopied are all subjects we do together. The subjects they do on their own level are things I don't file (math, AAS, WWE, FLL). Clear as mud? :D

By the way, I made these strips for each boy along with these progress charts. I was inspired by reading the Workboxes book, but did not want to do workboxes. I have a lot of those little velcro squares for a variety of subjects ... in the morning, I set up their strips according to where we are on our loop schedule and we work through them. We are still getting in the groove so we have yet to set a time-limit to our daily work (my goal is no more than 3 1/2 hours of schoolwork, but I'm not sure if it'll be that or closer to 4 hours for the day).

:001_smile: This is VERY clear and WELL DONE. I messed around in Word for a few minutes (man, we are way behind technologically! :D) and I think a flow chart is doable. I love the idea you are using with the strips and progress charts. I actually made those "way back when" and then abandoned the work box idea. They are still around. :D:D Thanks so much for sharing in such detail and for linking to your flow chart. I LOVE the ideas you have and I'm studying them today.

:001_smile: This is VERY clear and WELL DONE. I messed around in Word for a few minutes (man, we are way behind technologically! :D) and I think a flow chart is doable. I love the idea you are using with the strips and progress charts. I actually made those "way back when" and then abandoned the work box idea. They are still around. :D:D Thanks so much for sharing in such detail and for linking to your flow chart. I LOVE the ideas you have and I'm studying them today.

You are welcome. Of course, maybe I shouldn't post until after the school year is all done, we've completed what I've set out to complete, and done it all with a newborn for half the year. :lol: This is the first year I've put it all together. We did the strips and progress charts last year, and I've done weekly filing. But, I've never filed for the whole year and done a loop (the first year with that) and used the strips. So ... it's an experiment. But, hopefully one that eventually makes our school days smoother and makes us more productive. (The biggest draw of the loop schedule for me was actually getting around to science, history, and art rather than saying, "Well, history was scheduled for Monday but since we didn't do it, we won't get to it until next Monday.")

I agree and have been doing the same also. I even mentioned it up thread. However many people don't like going that root. Also, the PDF files from Peace Hill Press were not cheaper than buying the books which I feel they should have been (but that's another thread ;) which I will not be pursuing). We just bought the SOTW Vol 1 AG for $27.95, verses the printed copy from Rainbow at $27.25 where I was originally going to buy it from. It did however save me the shipping and I would have had to make copies of the coloring pages and maps anyway. I am now looking at getting RS4K the whole package on PDF for $34.95 verses $55 for a printed version from Rainbow. Now, that is definitely a deal ;)! And, I will only be printing what I need which means the TM pages I will be using directly off of my computer.

LOL... I hear you. But I like being able to print only what I want. And I didn't know anywhere else sold the books. I just find shipping to Canada so cost prohibitive :(

OH, BTW< just left a Staples here in AB, and they had the locker bins out, that were mentioned. Well, crates were mentioned these were bins. Didn't think to look at the price, but thought of you after I left.

I don't know if anyone is still reading this...(I haven't been able to keep up on all the posts) but we started our first week using this filing system. I only did 9 weeks because I wanted to try it out but I'm glad I did - I've already re-did and printed our weekly lesson plans out THREE times!!!! Ugh! I am enjoying our week so far, though, having everything right there. We just need to find our groove, I guess.

I am a huge Walmart fan. I wanted to get a 24" X 36" magnetic whiteboard for our school area and Staples wanted $35 for melamine (not magnetic of course) while Office Depot wanted $40 for a magnetic one. I was going to get the one from Office Depot but decided to wait for a while and finally found exactly what I was looking for for $30 at Walmart. This is why I usually look at Walmart first for what I need ;).

Me too!! Love Wally World.

I was there tonight to get swim suit, and found 11x11 magnetic white boards, but we got one purple and one blue for the older girls, there was also green and hot pink...oh yeah and white :lol:. Great for them to use, fits in their workboxes for different things. Nice to leave them a little note in the morning. 5.97

OK, I'm on board with the filing system. I already do subject workboxes and had my lesson plans in binders but I like the files better because I can stick games, books, crafts, etc. in there too.

:001_smile:

So, how will you do this with Oak Meadow? I would hate to cut those books up, but I find finding the lessons in them and using them pretty unwieldy. I think, afterall, that I won't be using too much OM, otherwise I do think I would cut them. Just wondering your thoughts on this.

So, how will you do this with Oak Meadow? I would hate to cut those books up, but I find finding the lessons in them and using them pretty unwieldy. I think, afterall, that I won't be using too much OM, otherwise I do think I would cut them. Just wondering your thoughts on this.

I use OM as a guide and jumping off point for 2nd/3rd. For 5th grade the OM books are used as texts although I type up the vocabulary and grammar portions so they are in worksheet form.

Basically, for each week I made a schedule. I put anything that I have ready into the file folder but the texts (OM books) are in their workboxes for whichever subject we use them for.

Example: 5th grade

OM English/History and Science texts are in the Main Lesson box

vocabulary and english worksheets typed from lessons in OM are in the ON your Own box in a file folder for spelling and grammar work

Example: 2nd grade

syllabus is in the main lesson box

So no, I am not pulling my OM stuff apart. What I have in the files is extras like those neat ideas I find on the Nature Nest blog, extra stories and ideas, paper for making notebooking pages, weekly plans/lessons, picture book for that week, 4-H book the week the project is started, etc. I've also added in a piece of paper for our library list, field trips and when to buy 4-H books.

Since I use OM as our jumping off point it will help me to coordinate our other resources better.:001_smile:

Wow, WHAT an awesome thread! When I first saw it back in June I was all, "Nah, I don't need another project right now, what we do is fine." Yet I kept on peeking in, and kept seeing positive references to the system in other threads, and it began to make a glimmer of sense, and then I came back and read the entire gigantic thread, and now I'm hooked :lol: I may be chiming in late, but I had a few ideas:

Melanie--I was just looking at your blog and my issue with the picture study was definitely a perfectionist one. The more I think about it, that is what holds me up a lot. I get an idea of how it "should" be and if I can't do that, then I don't want to do it all. Oooooh, that's not good for homeschooling.

For picture study, you might take a look at the Come Look With Me books by Gladys Blizzard. It's not a free method, but it makes picture study easy! There are quite few books too--animals in art, Asian art, children at play. You could find an image of the painting online to print and include in the folder and then keep the book itself in your teacher file to have the artist info and questions handy. You can really see inside on Amazon, but you can see a few pages on RR:

http://rainbowresource.com/pictures/001234/1280342827-111069

http://rainbowresource.com/pictures/015360/i/1/1280342827-111069

That's my plan for art appreciation/picture study this coming year :D

Dollar Tree has them - 25 colored ones in a pack.

My local one still had plenty of them as of Sunday.

Here is the link to my Winter Menu

and my Camping Checklist

The shopping list is not perfected, but it has lines to add things

This is a terrific idea! Kay, can I ask you why there are several different dinners listed for each day in your winter menu? Is it because you schedule the same breakfasts/lunches each week but the dinners vary by week?

I'm coming at the filing system a bit differently. We'll be schooling year-round in six-week blocks, with a week off in between (mostly--some blocks might be shorter due to vacations, holidays etc.). My plan right now is to lesson plan and file for 14 weeks or so--maybe through to Christmas break--to see how the system works for us, and I'll keep my six weeks of files in these interesting file boxes I got at Target in the dollar-ish section (they were $2.50 each--I'd originally bought them for something else but then didn't need them). I only have two to school, so I'll be able to drop each kid's manila file into the box for the week, and then I'll still have enough space in the box to include go-along books, manipulatives, my AAS card box, and so on. The six boxes will fit side by side on my top bookshelf, so I'll be able to drop things into them as I need to. Once the block is over, I'll file the manila folders and work back into the crate and pull the next block's folders to put in the boxes during the interim planning week.

Anyway, that's my plan for the system, in case it helps anyone. We started workboxes here too, but they quickly turned into subject storage boxes. I think we'll still keep it that way, so the right subject is easily accessible at any given time. But in terms of actual sanity-saving organization, I think this system will help a lot. Thank you so much to the OP, and Catholicmommy, and everyone who contributed their wisdom and expertise! Our new school year doesn't officially start until late September (after one last trip to the beach!), and I'm so looking forward to it now!

Edited by melissel

This is a terrific idea! Kay, can I ask you why there are several different dinners listed for each day in your winter menu? Is it because you schedule the same breakfasts/lunches each week but the dinners vary by week?

Yes, this is exactly why! I schedule the same breakfast/lunches each week (just not be creative enough to come up with more ideas that are quick/easy and somewhat healthy). :D, but the dinners vary by week.

Edited by kayinpa

Yes, this is exactly why! I schedule the same breakfast/lunches each week (just not be creative enough to come up with more ideas that are quick/easy and somewhat healthy). :D, but the dinners vary by week.

Thanks, I think your ideas are brilliant. I need to spend a little time thinking about the meals my family likes so I can do something similar. Thank you for sharing the fruits of your hard work with us!

I'm trying to motivate myself to sit and do work tonight. :) My goal is to have history done for the entire school year - planned (6-week plan and weekly plans in proper folders) and photocopied. I think I'm going to commandeer the den floor and spread everything out, at least as long as my back hold together. ;) If I can do history tonight, then that will leave Latin, science, and art for the big stuff (things that need photocopied). After that, it's more of a matter of simply writing down on my weekly loop schedule what lessons I want to cover for things like FLL and WWE. Oh, and I'll need to prep this PreK book on insects we bought for ds#3. He's excited to do the different activities in it (we sat and the couch and flipped through it this afternoon), so it better be somewhat ready by the morning.

I made a chart to check off as we work through FLL 1. I laminated it and was planning on having my son will cross each lesson off as we do it, but I did that before I saw someone else mentioned stickers. He might like that better.

So in case anyone else can benefit, you can get it here.

I want to do the same type of thing for AAS for him, but this is the first year we've used it and I'm not sure how to set up a sheet that would work. Any advice from someone who has already used AAS?

Edited by kls126s
fixed the link

You are AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting all your menus!!!

I love the internet for the chance to share all these great ideas from other women. It's such a blessing.

I had a menu we used for a whole year after my twins were born, but I got so bored of having the same thing every week, that I gave it up. I don't know why I never figured out the idea of printing one up like you did. YAY!!

I made a chart to check off as we work through FLL 1. I laminated it and was planning on having my son will cross each lesson off as we do it, but I did that before I saw someone else mentioned stickers. He might like that better.

So in case anyone else can benefit, you can get it here.

I want to do the same type of thing for AAS for him, but this is the first year we've used it and I'm not sure how to set up a sheet that would work. Any advice from someone who has already used AAS?

Darn! Your link didn't work for the FLL.

I also made one and posted it somewhere in a different thread.... here's the link to mine. I would love to see yours, because mine is just plain boring :001_smile:

The AAS program actually comes with a progress sheet in each lesson, and if you don't have them anymore, you can download them off their message boards:

level 1

level 2

level 3

level 4

level 5

Level 6

OK - how about this? Let me know if it works I'll go correct the link in my earlier post...

The new link works. :) I love the post-it notes.

Darn! Your link didn't work for the FLL.

I also made one and posted it somewhere in a different thread.... here's the link to mine. I would love to see yours, because mine is just plain boring :001_smile:

The AAS program actually comes with a progress sheet in each lesson, and if you don't have them anymore, you can download them off their message boards:

level 1

level 2

level 3

level 4

level 5

Level 6

Thank you for posting the links to the AAS progress charts. I couldn't find the one for level 1 (it might be packed in the garage but I wasn't ambitious enough to look as I won't need it for another year). I just printed it and saved it as a PDF in my Spelling file on my computer. :D

Whew, I finally made it through the whole thread. It's only taken me 3 weeks as I've had virtually no time to spend on the boards. But it has certainly been worth it. And I'd like to add my thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts/practices/pictures, and esp. the links to all the wonderful organizational products.

For me, one of the biggest benefits of this system has been the realization that I might actually save a ton of $$ on curricula. Now that I'm beginning to see a whole year in black and white, I can finally see the light and know that it will be impossible to fit that next great thing into our schedule. Usually, I buy way too much stuff (4 math programs, 3 writing systems, "I don't even want to count how much history" paraphenalia) with the naivete of a girl on her first date. ;)Now I can see that no way/no how could I possibly use any more stuff than what I already own. Of course, ebooks are looking lots better than they used to.

So, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Laura

History is done for the year and I prepped the PreK book for ds#3 (though I technically still have to photocopy pages - I'm too tired tonight). I think I'll do Latin or art tomorrow (I'm procrastinating on science because it seems the most intensive - a lot of photocopying and cross-referencing for reading books).

Usually, I buy way too much stuff (4 math programs, 3 writing systems, "I don't even want to count how much history" paraphenalia) with the naivete of a girl on her first date. ;)Now I can see that no way/no how could I possibly use any more stuff than what I already own. Of course, ebooks are looking lots better than they used to.

So, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Laura

:lol: Love the girl on her first date analogy. That is so me. I have enough history here to keep us going for ten years! I'm not sure if this is saving me money, though. I should see more clearly, but I'm not getting it yet.:001_smile:

So...if I understand you correctly, you pull them out as needed and file them after the lessons are completed, rather than filing them in advance by week so you can pull out "this week's math lessons"?

No actually I filed all of them. I took the number of weeks in our school year and what I want them to complete by the end and divided that to find out how many lessons we would need to complete in a week. I think it ended up being 2 or 3 lessons per week. Then I took pages from those lessons and filed them.

So for Alpha, we need to do 2 lessons per week (I am not sure of the numbers because my files aren't right here). For week 1 I put lessons 1 and 2. THen I put about 4 pages and the test for each lesson in the file.

Then all the extras are filed in a notebook. If we need more worksheets I can easily pull them out for that lesson. If they "get" it and don't need all the worksheets I then put them back in the notebook with all the extra sheets.

Does that make sense?

I'm done filing! :D Now I'm organizing all my supplies and hoping to get some new bookshelves because we have SO many books!

I even found a use for the hanging file box I bought orginally that ended up being too small: I'm going to use it for our curriculum books! It's the exact right size to fit in all of my teacher's manuals and activity guides, etc. and since they sit in their with their spine's facing up, I can just lift off the lid, find the book I want, and pull it out, then at the end of the lesson pop it back in, and it sits perfectly on a shelf in my closet. I'm going to get another small hanging file box and do the same thing with our main student books (student manuals that I'm not filing and our history and science spines). My toddlers can't break into these boxes, so I feel better having something other than a bookshelf to safely store them in.