Menu

Young adults at work with parent

This is a public service announcement from yours truly. If you work for a family run professional business in say law or accounting it is not professional to bring your college graduate into said office for a week to do nothing other than burn movies all day straining the modem with huge files so that we have to call a repair person as our internet went down. I do not like emptying your adult child's garbage can daily so the entire office does not smell like fast food , nor do I treasure cleaning the sink and bathroom after your little genius. Further public service announcement if you are doing this to your employer do not wonder why: you are not getting a raise, why your adult child who refuses to acknowledge responsiblity for this mishap does not have a job in his/her field and so it is no secret , this is rude and unprofessional to the nth degree. There is sometimes a very good reason for people to remain in the same job for years without promotion they need to grow up. Naturally no one here would be so clueless or rude but it feels better to vent. Thank you so much.

Was the college graduate doing any work for you? If not, I would think that you as the employer is perfectly within your rights to say "no visitors at the office". And certainly no using office equipment for non-office related functions.

:iagree: and :grouphug: That kind of stuff can make for a long day at the office.

Was the college graduate doing any work for you? If not, I would think that you as the employer is perfectly within your rights to say "no visitors at the office". And certainly no using office equipment for non-office related functions.

Certainly not . Due to rules here I can only say that the boss who owns the building (not I) does not wish to anger said secretary . There is no reason whatsoever for her son to be here except that he came to town for a brief visit and thus, albiet a masters program graduate has to come to work with his mom. Absolutely weird .

Grr. I feel your pain. In my first job- as a cleaner in a childcare centre, I had to come in each afternoon and immediately clean the kitchen. Then I had to do everything else, which was too much to fit into 2 hours, of course, then clean the kitchen again. I asked if I could leave that job until last, but my boss was completely shocked and angry. Of course the kitchen needs to be clean when the parents start arriving, and of course, being an employee, it was my job to clean milo off the benches and wash the dishes for her 7 and 9 year old.

That was 15 years ago. I can't believe I still had a rant hiding inside me over that :lol:

Rosie

Duh, because they have the ability to burn movies at the workplace. :tongue_smilie::001_huh::glare:

Totally.

That was 15 years ago. I can't believe I still had a rant hiding inside me over that :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Rosie, you crack me up!

Sigh. I have an "Authorized Personnel Only" sign on my door, but that does not keep folks from bringing their children into my soundbooth to run amok and soil their diapers while I'm trying to run sound and lights. It does not stop our religious conference users from coming in to hang out with me and work on converting my heathen soul, either. Alas.

I'm sorry, elizabeth. That's awful.

This is a public service announcement from yours truly. If you work for a family run professional business in say law or accounting it is not professional to bring your college graduate into said office for a week to do nothing other than burn movies all day straining the modem with huge files so that we have to call a repair person as our internet went down. I do not like emptying your adult child's garbage can daily so the entire office does not smell like fast food , nor do I treasure cleaning the sink and bathroom after your little genius. Further public service announcement if you are doing this to your employer do not wonder why: you are not getting a raise, why your adult child who refuses to acknowledge responsiblity for this mishap does not have a job in his/her field and so it is no secret , this is rude and unprofessional to the nth degree. There is sometimes a very good reason for people to remain in the same job for years without promotion they need to grow up. Naturally no one here would be so clueless or rude but it feels better to vent. Thank you so much.

:grouphug::grouphug:

That would drive me so nuts, I'm sure something brutally sarcastic and inappropriate would fly its way out of my mouth.

Duh, because they have the ability to burn movies at the workplace. :tongue_smilie::001_huh::glare:

I was thinking more along the lines that he is not like any college graduate *I* know. All the graduates I know for this year have much higher aspirations for THEMSELVES. They are all busy trying to make a gameplan for their futures. And barring that, NONE of them would have thought the tradeoff of hanging with *Mom* all day at work was worth the movies. LOL!

Sounds like burning movies at the workplace is the LEAST of his issues.

I was thinking more along the lines that he is not like any college graduate *I* know. All the graduates I know for this year have much higher aspirations for THEMSELVES. They are all busy trying to make a gameplan for their futures. And barring that, NONE of them would have thought the tradeoff of hanging with *Mom* all day at work was worth the movies. LOL!

Sounds like burning movies at the workplace is the LEAST of his issues.

:lol:Couldn't have said it better myself. I am pleased that I did not absolutely let my mouth lead me down the same path of complete unprofessionalism. BTW they internet works fine as soon as they leave for the day but they deny that his computer and the huge digital files he is playing with have any connection to the modem shutting down. We will let the cable guy have his say . Sadly when they realized the internet was down they left a half hour early to have a drink leaving me with the internet down and the task of trying to get by without it for the next 48 hours. Karma is a b**** and I hope she is watching. :lol:

Edited by elizabeth

Wow. This is a level of deception and immorality even I am surprised by. The modem and thus Internet crashed again this morning and the boss-man was here. Boss-man ordered that the intruder/interloper not watch, burn, or download any film today. Oddly enough I am here, able to communicate with all of you. But both he and his mother still vehemently deny that the excessive load on the modem caused it to stop functioning. I guess when people don't like the evidence, they simply choose to ignore it. :lol: Excuse-makers and those who avoid accountability will never be in the ranks of the trusted and respected. You must own your mistakes as well as your victories. It's a shame that more parents are not teaching their young adults this valuable leadership lesson.