Menu

Moving and not sure if I should continue homeschooling???

vlgimmelli

Hello,

My family is moving to Somerset,NJ and I am debating if I should continue to homeschool. My heart is tugging at me to homeschool but since at times my son doesn't listen, talks back, seems bored, my husband said that it will be too rough for me and I should send him back to school when we move. I am so torn. Some people have talked to me about K12 program. Not sure really do not know enough about it. My son loves working on the computer. I really want to do what is best for my son(5th grade) and daughter (K). I would love to homeschool and guess I need to read something that would encourage me to homeschool and also find the right curriculum for them so they learn, have fun, enjoy it and do well. I don't want to keep buying and changing curriculum. Just any advice that you can share with me I would so appreciate it. Thanks for listening...Lilly :001_smile:

I don't think your son's attitude and behavior problems will be solved, or even helped, by sending him to public school. :grouphug:

Are you trying to follow TWTM recommendations for curriculum? If not, that would probably be the best place to start getting ideas. I don't know anything about K12 so I can't help, but try doing a search on here. I know it's been talked about a lot.

:grouphug:

Guest bookwormmama

Lilly,

Congrats on the move! How scary and exciting at the same time! :D

As for whether or not you should homeschool... I find that I question my choice to homeschool if I don't have my reasons for homeschooling laid out for me to read/see on a regular basis. Like a mission statement or something. Make a list of pros/cons. Do what you can do and figure out how your child learns best. If he does well with computer learning then K12 might be a great fit for him! Not sure about your daughter. Only you can judge that.

With 6 kids I have learned that each child is different and teaching to each of their learning styles really helps them to grasp the information. I cover a lot of different learning styles and they all overlap. Its hard as a parent to cover everything. You can use K12 as a supplement also to anything else that you are doing and enroll only part time. They have a great history/art program and I love their curriculum. I don't use K12 but if I were to enroll in a program I would do it with K12 and do it part time so I wouldn't be overwhelmed with the workload.

Good luck on your decisions and your move!

We faced a similar decision. My dd11(grade 5) gave me the grief you described. It is partially the age. We decided to use an academy for her too. Ideal? I don't know. It's not MY ideal, but it just might be HER ideal, and in the end we have to work with what works best for the child. Your preferred style of teaching, might be his. He may excel at something like K12. But without trying, one will never know.

If you're moving, I would focus my efforts on finding like-minded hsing families with compatible kids. Having the right kids to play with in the afternoon makes all that morning book work worth it. Also look for co-ops in your new area; you may be able to build a hybrid of classes and work at home, which will lighten your load and give your ds some academic peers. At this age, my boys needed to branch out in this way, and it helped both academics and attitude. But do be aware you're on the brink of entering the tween zone, which isn't easy no matter where your kids spend their days!

I don't think your son's attitude and behavior problems will be solved, or even helped, by sending him to public school. :grouphug:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Perhaps an online or some coop classes. Something that makes him accountable to others -- not just you. Also, if he hasn't already done so, Dad needs to step up and let the child know in no uncertain terms that HE will not tolerate disrespect toward you in any form.

Best Wishes!:grouphug:

Girlfriend, public (or private, for that matter) will not fix discipline/heart issues. He needs to be with you more, not less.

NJ is such a great state for hsing. You'll have complete freedom to do whatever floats your boat. :) Think how close you'll be to some wonderful historical sites that you could visit--how jealous am I! Pick something for math and English skills, and take the time to soak in all the history.

Of course, I tend to be a history-holic, so my advice might not be exactly what you need. :D But public school won't fix things. And I don't believe allowing your ds to do lots of stuff on the computer will fix things, either. Sometimes what the dc want isn't best for them.

Anyway, my vote would be to keep hsing.:)

Well, if it makes any difference, the schools in Somerset are not so great. And you'll be 10 minutes away from us and several other current and former WTMers (actually, I know two who live IN Somerset) :D There's a good deal of support in the area, particularly if you're a Christian HSer. As for the discipline, I agree with the others. My style of discipline has had to change quite a bit since I began HSing, because things just need to get done.

10 months ago we moved to a new state. We've homeschooled all along and oldest just finished 8th grade.

I was so thankful that when we were house shopping we didn't have to find the right neighborhood for the best school. We didn't have to wade through thousands of private school options in this huge city.

we were able to buy the house we wanted, in an area that fits our needs and the "best school" just happen to be located in our own house and back yard.

Moving was stressful, to say the least. But in some ways after we got here, we had excuses to get out of the house to do stuff. It was all new. It was all field trips. We got our school done in small bites (with our choice of "box" curriculum that we liked for years and still use). Moving is stressful.

find some other homeschoolers where you are moving and join park day and field trips if you can. Maybe join in a sports thing or something. We were not able to do it all at once. I moved in August. everything started in August. Some stuff we didn't find to join others until January. So, before that we unpacked and found parks, zoos etc.

just been my life for the last 10 months. I can't imagine what it would have been like to find a school to send to them on top of everything else that happened.

It wasn't easy to move. ;)

-crystal

I agree that, unfortunately, public school probably won't help with your ds and may even make it worse.

NJ is a very easy state to homeschool in - you don't have to do anything.

I'm about 1/2 hour North of Somerset. There are a lot of homeschool groups and Somerset is close enough to check out both the Central NJ groups and the Northern NJ groups. There are a lot of historical sites, science centers, museums, etc. in NJ and, of course, NYC is right across the river.

Good Luck with your decision.

I agree with all of the above posters. I have 7 kids, one graduated already. Some of my kids have done well in ps and needed to be there rather than at home. Then there are the few that I thought sending them to ps would solve some discipline/heart issues. Boy!! Was I wrong. Things got exponentially worse with each of them. I noticed that at first the changes were subtle, then as the weeks wore on things became apparently worse in attitudes, talking back, ignoring family rules, and being self-absorbed. Those kids will all come back home this year and I am hoping that one other of my kids that seems to be doing well in school, will want to stay home.

All this goes to say that imo ps just makes things worse not better for parents. Pray, talk with dh, and ask the Lord to start working on your son's heart. Things will get better but not overnight.

I have moved 4 times in the past 6 years, once to another state, and twice to a new country. My kids have had their issues with motivation, attitude etc. as well. IMO, homeschooling has been a vital form of continuity, familiarity and routine that is very reassuring for all of us when trying to get acclimated to new surroundings. No matter where we are, we spend our days together, doing the same routine we did before we moved. True, the kids have to make new friends, find new activities, etc., but at least they don't have to get used to a new school system, new teachers and being immersed in a whole new culture for the majority of their waking hours.

I agree with the PPs who advised you to look into homeschool groups, activities,co-ops, etc. before you move, if possible. You could even look for housing near areas that have a large homeschool community.

If he likes working on the computer, and you feel he needs some outside accountability, I would say go for K12, at least for a semester, while you are unpacking and getting settled. That will reduce the stress on you from the move and give him a chance to see if that type of program is suited to him.

If, after you have been in your new location for a year, you still feel he needs to go to school for various reasons, you could consider it then. I would not add such a drastic change to the already drastic change of a move, though.

We moved eight times in five years....all to different states. We're military - and moving is one of the big reasons why military families choose to homeschool.

Be prepared for your childs behavioral issues to get worse - moving is VERY stressful on the kiddos.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I can't say it enough. Thank you everyone for the wonderful and encouraging posts and advice about homeschooling. I will take everyone's advice and look into some other homeschoolers in our new area of Somerset and get involved and get together. Also look into coop which I believe my kids would love and it would help my son also. I am going to purchase the TWTM book and get reading it. Thanks again everyone.. It is wonderful to be able to share your heart and thoughts and get so many wonderful encouraging advice and help.

What a blessing you are all to me. Thanks again. Lilly

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Girlfriend, public (or private, for that matter) will not fix discipline/heart issues. He needs to be with you more, not less.

NJ is such a great state for hsing. You'll have complete freedom to do whatever floats your boat. :) Think how close you'll be to some wonderful historical sites that you could visit--how jealous am I! Pick something for math and English skills, and take the time to soak in all the history.

Of course, I tend to be a history-holic, so my advice might not be exactly what you need. :D But public school won't fix things. And I don't believe allowing your ds to do lots of stuff on the computer will fix things, either. Sometimes what the dc want isn't best for them.

Anyway, my vote would be to keep hsing.:)

:iagree::iagree::iagree: However, that is my own bias and I know hs'g isn't easy for mom many days. Maybe you can figure out ways to make it more enjoyable for him by looking for something less textbook and more discovery-based that he could do on line or in the library, etc, for the extra subjects, but stick to a workbook for the 3 Rs. There is so much out there now to keep it interesting for everyone.

Pray that the Lord will make it clear to you and for a change of heart in your son. It is a difficult age...

Hello,

My family is moving to Somerset,NJ and I am debating if I should continue to homeschool. My heart is tugging at me to homeschool but since at times my son doesn't listen, talks back, seems bored, my husband said that it will be too rough for me and I should send him back to school when we move. I am so torn. Some people have talked to me about K12 program. Not sure really do not know enough about it. My son loves working on the computer. I really want to do what is best for my son(5th grade) and daughter (K). I would love to homeschool and guess I need to read something that would encourage me to homeschool and also find the right curriculum for them so they learn, have fun, enjoy it and do well. I don't want to keep buying and changing curriculum. Just any advice that you can share with me I would so appreciate it. Thanks for listening...Lilly :001_smile:

I suggest you read this:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/gatto2.1.1.html

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Penkase that is awesome. Thank you!! We are so looking forward to moving and getting settled. Do you belong to a support group there in Somerset? If so, maybe I can become a member. Also, so your kids go to a coop? I would also be interested. Anything that you can share with me about Somerset and the homeschooling support in that area would be great. Thanks again and hope to speak with you soon. Have a great day.

Lilly

P.S. I just purchase The Well Trained Mind and will begin reading today!!!!:001_smile::001_smile: