Menu

Do you consider smoking pot a serious problem?

Is smoking pot a serious problem?  

1. 1. Is smoking pot a serious problem?

• Yes, it is a serious problem.
    • No, it isn't a problem.
    • Other

Nope. People smoke it for pain management, and sleep. Neither of which has 'getting high' involved.

It has to do with receptors in the brain.

Give you an example. I'm on a butt load of drugs, many, most of which have a street value. A *high* street value.

I don't get stoned off of them at all. Not even my break through med, the one that drug seekers would be conducting home invasions to get their hands on, if they knew I had it. Its because I'm in genuine pain, and therefore the pain receptors in my brain react to the drug. If I were a drug seeker, different receptors in their brain would have them stoned as stoned could be. I've been known to joke that it kinda bums me out now and then, that I couldn't have the pain reduction and the whoot of being 'high'. A 2 for one experience, if you will. Distraction would be nice sometimes.

At any rate, I'm all for legalization. That way, the next time I have a 'kill me NOW' migraine, I could use what works best, and not worry about a random drug test.

But the original post was not about medical use, it was about recreational use. To me, that is a whole different topic. Certainly you don't think that most users of pot are using for medicinal purposes. Your point about the meds you take and their effect on people who don't need them is right on, it seems to me, with regards to pot. Would you be concerned if you found out your kids were taking prescription drugs or smoking pot for the high and not medicinal purposes?

It is possible to make pot legal by prescription and not for other uses, just like narcotics and barbituates. Most employers who drug test look for those "legal" drugs and you better have a prescription for them if they show up on your peepee test. The same would apply to pot. It is not like they would not check for it if it became legal. :001_smile:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is silly that it is illegal. So in that regard I do not think it is a big deal. However, because it IS illegal it's a big deal. I feel the same way about pot smoking that I do about underage drinking; it's a big NO-NO because obeying the law is a non-negotiable (unless the laws of man violate the laws of God in which case disobedience might be acceptable and even noble if the cause were worthy)

If he thinks that's it's no more serious than smoking cigarettes, I'd ask him to carefully consider whether or not a cigarette addiction is a serious problem! Of course it is... no one would really argue against the fact that smoking cigarettes is seriously detrimental to health, and to the pocket book.

I think doing anything to purposefully alter your state of mind to the extent that pot does is a problem. And of course there's the issue that it's against the law, and a drug charge is a serious matter.

So yes, as a parent I'd be really upset.

I think it is silly that it is illegal. So in that regard I do not think it is a big deal. However, because it IS illegal it's a big deal. I feel the same way about pot smoking that I do about underage drinking; it's a big NO-NO because obeying the law is a non-negotiable (unless the laws of man violate the laws of God in which case disobedience might be acceptable and even noble if the cause were worthy)

Okay, I ALSO agree with Kelli. :glare: (only grumpy because I'd rather just make a joke about it)

How about the argument that if all drugs were legal, they could be better controlled? Wouldn't legalizing them take away the smuggling, and therefore, gang violence, issues?

I do think my friend's son has suffered damage just from marijuana, and maybe now he's gone on to harder things, I don't know. But like others have said, people do themselves damage with alcohol and cigarettes and food and extramarital sex and . . .

I guess, as in a lot of things, where are the limits?

I'm with Kelli.

I'm not going to get into everything I think about the topic, and I am certainly not an advocate of any type of addiction (though I absolutely believe it is the personality that makes someone addicted up to a point - certainly some drugs are worse in that area), however I do find it odd that so many have such big issues with it.

I think that in a day when kids are popping any and all types of prescription drugs for ADD & depression, and adults take anti-depressants at the drop of a hat, marijuana is the least of our problems. I mean why are we okay with the chemical properties of those types of OTC drugs, and their effects on our bodies??

Seriously, I'd rather smoke a little weed every day than pop an anti-anxiety pill that's going to rot my liver. I don't do this mind you, but maybe I would if it were legal and I needed anti-anxiety meds.

I think recreationally it's no worse than alcohol (and probably better in most instances).

My sister swears if pot were legal and everyone smoked it, the world would be a nicer place. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by StaceyinLA

I think that in a day when kids are popping any and all types of prescription drugs for ADD & depression, and adults take anti-depressants at the drop of a hat, that marijuana is the least of our problems.

:iagree: Big Pharm can't make a mint off marijuana, so it doesn't want us using that when we can use their latest and greatest new drug.

$$$$$ talks and... well, you know the rest.

:iagree: Big Pharm can't make a mint off marijuana, so it doesn't want us using that when we can use their latest and greatest new drug.

$$$$$ talks and... well, you know the rest.

:iagree: This is actually the main reason there has never been a controlled, double-blind study of marijuana for the many, many medical uses for which it has shown anecdotal evidence of benefit. There's no money to be made for a product that anyone could grow themselves and its unpatentable.

Anyone who has ever read the package insert that comes with their medications should be aware of the scary list of side effects possible with some very common medications. Many are way worse than the effects of pot.