Menu

Do you consider smoking pot a serious problem?

Is smoking pot a serious problem?  

1. 1. Is smoking pot a serious problem?

• Yes, it is a serious problem.
    • No, it isn't a problem.
    • Other

I have a friend whose 21 year old son is a casual pot smoker. To the 21 year old it is no big deal, everyone does it, it is no worse then cigerattes. He thinks his Mom is being an ultra-conservative nut. She is dealing with it better then I would. DH is a stickler for following the law; he would immediatly financially cut off a child of ours that was smoking pot. I'm just curious how everyone here feels about it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a problem. I wouldn't want someone I cared about to do it.

I would be seriously concerned about anyone who did it regularly (say, more than a few times a year) or who drove, went to school or work, or cared for children under the influence.

But, I do allow for some "normal" experimentation in youth (say 16-28, unmarried, w/o kids) with alcohol and pot -- that wouldn't completely flip me out. I would def. do as much as I can to discourage it. . . and would be upset and concerned. . . but I would not cut them off or totally freak out.

I think it is a problem. I wouldn't want someone I cared about to do it.

I would be seriously concerned about anyone who did it regularly (say, more than a few times a year) or who drove, went to school or work, or cared for children under the influence.

But, I do allow for some "normal" experimentation in youth (say 16-28, unmarried, w/o kids) with alcohol and pot -- that wouldn't completely flip me out. I would def. do as much as I can to discourage it. . . and would be upset and concerned. . . but I would not cut them off or totally freak out.

That sounds right to me.

I'm not interested in it, I hope my son won't become interested in it . . . just because I think he should have better things to do with his time.

Most (BUT NOT ALL) people I know who smoke pot tend to live an extreme slacker lifestyle that just isn't what I envision for my son.

I honestly don't have any problem with others smoking. I'll even go out on a limb and say I think it should be legalized; but I'm just a hippie like that.

Serious problem to the person smoking pot?

Serious problem to the parent of the person smoking pot?

Serious problem to society?

I think pot can be additive especially people who have additive personalities. Doesn't mean everyone one will have a bad experience or become addicted or start on harder drugs.

I not sure I'm a person who really knows the answer. I've lived through the 60s, 70s etc which were big drug eras and never tried pot.

Statistically, less people die from smoking pot than from smoking cigarettes. You can't OD on it, it only makes you sleepy. And there are no residual effects on motivation/personality once it's out of your bloodstream. It's actually better for you than taking ibuprofen, in terms of what it does to your body.

If pot was all the kid was into, then I wouldn't consider it a problem. He'll grow up and get over it. If it puts him in with a crowd that will get him to try any of the harder, addictive drugs, then it's a problem.

I'm not interested in it, I hope my son won't become interested in it . . . just because I think he should have better things to do with his time.

Most (BUT NOT ALL) people I know who smoke pot tend to live an extreme slacker lifestyle that just isn't what I envision for my son.

I honestly don't have any problem with others smoking. I'll even go out on a limb and say I think it should be legalized; but I'm just a hippie like that.

:iagree:

:lol: :cheers2: ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew that guy...I always threaten my ds with the fact that we do not have a basement so he will have to support himself.

Too funny...or sad....:lol:

faithe

Pot smokers tend to be very laid back. Which is the opposite of this::auto: They have the good sense to eat rather than cause problems.

No, it's not a serious problem, but it is illegal and you can get in some serious trouble if you get caught. Drug offenses have been getting some really harsh punishments in the last few years, even a first and minor offense.

Unlike some other drugs, it doesn't make you do crazy things, you can't OD, it doesn't promote violence or crime. Most people that smoke just sit home and pig out. (Ok, so it's bad for the waistline!). You get lazy or sleepy.

It does have some benefits, it's a good all natural pain killer. Honestly, in many ways, its less harmful than alcohol.

If my husband was smoking pot we would have a problem. One, it's expensive, two, we could lose our children, three, his job does random drug tests, he could lose his job.

I imagine at some point my children might try it. A lot of kids do. But I honestly don't think I'm raising the kind of kids that would make a habit of it.

I wouldn't object to it being legalized, but I also wouldn't smoke it. I'm done with that phase of life. I would rather have a nice cocktail. It tastes better.

As for whether or not it's addictive, I'm not sure about that. I have the addictive personality type. I'm not allowed to play video games anymore for that reason. I smoked it when I was younger, I don't think it was addictive. I didn't do it all the time, honestly I had more of a problem with exercising, drinking and video games. If you had a rich life full of activities and interests you probably wouldn't get addicted to it, you would be off enjoying your interests and wouldn't want to partake in something that made you want to just sit on the couch and listen to music. I've known plenty of people that smoked and weren't addicted to it. It was just another way to relax, like having a glass of wine with dinner.

Anyway, I'm getting really tired so I'm going to give up before I manage to say something really stupid, or phrase something wrong and offend dozens of people.

It doesn't bother me. FYI, it isn't illegal .... everywhere. It's legal where I am, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I'm shocked to see so many Last Century attitudes about marijuana on this board! There has been quite a bit of research and we know now that mj can cure certain illnesses or at least mitigate their effects. It is now legal in 14 states and the numbers continue to climb. It is not addictive and actually HELPS your body, unlike alcohol and tobacco.

It's a PLANT. I always think it's funny when a person who believes that a god created everything on the earth (including plants) thinks that pot should be illegal. Wouldn't that make god an accessory to a crime? :confused:

I'm shocked to see so many Last Century attitudes about marijuana on this board! There has been quite a bit of research and we know now that mj can cure certain illnesses or at least mitigate their effects. It is now legal in 14 states and the numbers continue to climb. It is not addictive and actually HELPS your body, unlike alcohol and tobacco.

It's a PLANT. I always think it's funny when a person who believes that a god created everything on the earth (including plants) thinks that pot should be illegal. Wouldn't that make god an accessory to a crime? :confused:

When marijuana is sold as a prescription *in a pharmacy* the same way as other pharmaceuticals, I will then view that as a valid point.

God made all kinds of plants with all kinds of positive/negative attributes. Just because He made it, doesn't mean He intended for people to *smoke* it. He also made poppies, but I don't think that means we should freely indulge in opiates.

My problem with smoking weed is that it is illegal. Punishment, even for first time offenders, is severe. If you have a felony drug charge you cannot get federal funding for college.

Honestly, morally I'm not opposed to it. As a teen/young adult I did it, and much worse. If weed was legalized, I would have no problem with my child doing it *occasionally* and as long as they weren't driving. As it stands now, I would be very upset, because they are risking their freedom and their chance at an education.

I know plenty of people who smoke on a regularly basis and have normal, functioning lives. I don't approve of driving while smoking or being around your children while smoking, but other than that, I won't judge.

I replied "other".

I have many friends who were regular pot smokers, and some relatives. I am very familiar with it. I never liked what it did to me so I was usually an observer rather than a partaker. I only have one person in my life now- a relative I rarely see- that I am aware still smokes.

I know many (who smoke/smoked) who managed to hold down a pretty reasonable life. That would be the majority.

I know some who were extremely demotivated by it, and never did much with their lives until they gave it up.

I have a relative who smokes to relieve pain.

I have an exbf who was tipped into schizophrenia - the real, full blown thing- by smoking over years. He still has that condition 20 years after stopping smoking, and is on medication. Who knows if it would have gone as far as it did without the dope smoking?

I knew 2 young teenage boys- I think one was 13, one was 14 or so- whose parents allowed them to smoke dope at times because they did. They drove their trail bike in front of a train- died. Not sure if they were stoned at the time.

I have had 2 friends die of heroin overdoses who I didn't even know were on heroin. They were kind, sweet, considerate people and they weren't trying to corrupt me. I have another relative who did heroin and ruthlessly milked his mother for years for money and "gifts" until she realised.

The drugs that really scare me are amphetamines, speed, ice, those sorts of things. They make people mean, uncaring, likely to be violent. They cut them off from a normal sense of humanity.

I think there is a huge range of "mind altering substances" and I personally prefer to judge each separately and with a lot of context, although I am 100% against amphetamines. I believe there are substances that native peoples have used for various reasons that, within a certain context, are fine and a valuable part of our human culture. In India, smoking dope is ok and many sadhus (holy men) do it regularly. I am not against it, or some other substances, overall as a blanket rule.

I personally think that drinking alcohol does and has done FAR more damage to people's lives than smoking dope, which tends to just mellow people out. But, I tell my kids how demotivating smoking dope is and what idiots it makes people. I tell them the same about getting drunk. I warn them very, very seriously about heroin and amphetamines and I discuss with them the differences between these drugs because they are NOT equally bad or all the same and I think it is dangerous to teach that they are, because then if they do try one, they may feel that "what fun" it would be to try any of the others.

I have extroverted, confident,party animal kids who may or may not be exposed to these things and experiment, as they get older. I think education is the most important thing.

Lol. I'm on the West Coast of BC ;) Second hand smoke has a different meaning if you're at an event here.

Simple possession is not illegal here btw.

It's also avail medicinally if you can get a scrip.

So how would that change your position for those for whom the legal aspect was paramount?

I can't help but think of Katie and her son Henry.

I think that pot advocates are lying to themselves and others that it is "natural", "safe" and "not a gateway drug" and "not addictive".

Clearly natural can be toxic, deadly and unhealthy. Clearly you should not operate machinery, drive or parent children after smoking pot. Clearly it IS a gateway drug for many street drug abusers. Clearly there are millions of pot smokers who are addicted.

While I don't believe in "Refer Madness", I do think that taking a casual attitude about it is dangerous.

I am *always* suspicious when a person defends their (over?) use of mind altering substances with some form of "everyone does it" or "I do it and I'm ok". Honestly, if it weren't an issue in their lives, if they weren't unhealthfully connected to it in some way, letting it go would be a non issue.

I would cut all financial ties to a legal adult child who was doing any kind of street drug (or miss-taking prescribed ones). Of course, for my to have financial ties to an adult child would mean they'd have to be a student in good standing OR working full time OR productive in some measurable way.

Coming back to add this link to when Katie's son, now dead, disclosed using pot.

Yes, and not to minimise any tragic case, but one incident doesn't a case make, and nor do even many incidents, considering how widely it is smoked. Legal prescription drugs - correctly taken- and visits to hospital- kill far more people than pot.

Just because people who use heavy drugs often started with pot, doesn't mean that the majority of pot smokers go onto heavier drugs.

But you probably know that already. It's an emotional argument and its our kids at stake.

I find people who have experienced pot in their youth are often not as afraid of it as those who haven't.

I don't even like the stuff, and I don't recommend it. I still think alcohol is a far, far worse issue in our society, yet most support drinking.

The legal ramifications would be my biggest concern. I do think pot should be legalized.

I don't want my kids to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes any more than I want them to smoke pot. And, actually, if all 3 were legal and I had to pick 1, I'd find pot the least upsetting.

I find it a problem. We follow the law unless it breaks God's laws. PERIOD. Even if you're REALLY hungry. Even if you would benefit from a plant's properties. Whatever the justification, we follow God's law which is it to follow Caesar's unless God's law otherwise trumps it.

I don't know all the health issues. However, I figure that there ARE some (I've seen some evidence sometime in the past). So then we're dealing with the whole body is a temple to God and sanctity of life issues too. And I know that someone can justify the argument using alcohol instead, but I don't think it's an appropriate argument (anymore than I think my son saying, "but Kimberly....." is one).

Edited by 2J5M9K

Pot (and smoking anything or excessive alcohol) is not for us short of needing it medically due to excessive pain issues or the like (similar to prescription drugs at that point). I know people that smoke or used to smoke and I've yet to meet anyone in that group who's life I've wanted for anyone in my family. There are some in my circle of friends that used to smoke pot (or cigarettes). It's not a condition for friendship (either way).

That said, I'm very much libertarian in my thoughts, so the choices I make for myself and my family are generally not those I'd impose on others AS LONG AS it doesn't affect me. I do vote for smoke free restaurants and similar. What folks do in their own house or car is up to them.

If any of my boys were to start smoking (anything), I'd definitely disapprove and it wouldn't be allowed in my house. Once they move out, their life is theirs to chart. I wouldn't disown them, but they might not get a huge chunk of inheritance. I'd have to ponder that.

In our area, there have been several car accidents related to pot. It slows the senses and numbs reaction time. The police say it isn't any different than DUI.

I have also known several kids who did other quite reckless things after smoking pot, so I do have a pretty big problem with it. DD, the paramedic student, has seen some pot related injuries while at the ER or on ambulance shift, that would make your heart stop. So, I have huge issues with it.

It is illegal without prescription in our state so breaking the law and getting smacked with a felony isn't any picnic either.

Faith

Like other drugs, it's a problem if it's impairing your life. If it's a casual thing, it's not any more a problem than casually drinking alcohol. I'm of the opinion that pot is "bad" because it's illegal, not because it's any worse than any other drugs that are legal. And FTR, I don't drink, smoke, or use any kinds of drugs.

Tara

I don't think its any worse that cigarettes and alcohol and think it should be legalized the same way they are (no driving, not underage, etc.). It's less harmful, less addictive and less likely to lead to violent behaviour (than alcohol). That's outside of the proven medical benefits. Like cigarettes and alcohol, there will be those who can handle it responsibly and those who can't.

I've known quite a few people who smoked fairly regularly. It's suprisingly common among men of a certain age bracket. Most of them have been very productive members of society - educated (PhD's, Masters Degrees), executives/white collar workers, responsible family men. They smoke instead of drinking to relax on the weekend. Most don't smoke in front of their kids or when they are in charge of children (same as what I would expect from someone drinking), a few smoke because they can't drink for various medical reasons (bleeding ulcer for one).

I have mixed feelings. Someone asked the question, "What if it were legal?" If it were legal, and my dc was of age and not financially supported by me (much like alcohol) then there isn't much I can say. I would treat it much like the topic of alcohol. I have cautioned my oldest numerous times about alcohol and addiction (because of addiction issues in the family.) I would rather they didn't smoke or drink (much.)

OTOH, smoking pot is very, very prevalant here. I knew a few people in NC who did, but here it seems that everyone does. (I know that isn't true, but it seems that way!) I don't know if that is what causes people to work at dead-end jobs or if they work at dead-end jobs because that seems to be what is mostly here.

In NC, it seemed that every employer drug-tested upon hire. Here they do not - not even at my dh's job! It's a different world.

I think many of you need to look-up the history of Hemp/Marijuana, and why it's now illegal in most parts of the US. The majority of the reasons have nothing to do with it's "dangers".

I'm in the camp, that it's only a problem if it gets in the way. People who have issues with pot, are the same who will have issues with any other mind altering substance, (food, sex, shopping, etc). If one has an addictive personality, it's just a matter of time before they stumble onto their drug of choice.

Lets see:

1. You may get a criminal record.

2. It may prevent miltary service or some other types of government service.

3. It is a gateway drug to other much more harmful types of drug.

4. When using it (and this is only from what I have read) one can act in a particularily stupid and dangerous manner. Inhibitions drop and decisions can be made that will have life long consequences, perhaps taking something harder, unprotected sex, driving......

5. Given that it is illegal and use of the substance is a defacto support for drug smugglers. Using it pays for their lifestyle and a system that results in dead police, tortured DEA agents, murdered judges....etc. Just look at the drug war in Mexico...

6. It is not a behavior indicative of high moral character.

So.....yes I have a huge problem with it and would turn in anyone that I suspected of using.....friend, family it would not matter.

Jenny, I don't care the reasons it is illegal. I simply care that it is. If God said to smoke pot, then I would do it because God's law trumps man's. However, he doesn't. Instead, he says to follow the law.

And even when I wasn't practicing my faith, I felt that we should follow the laws or go through the proper channels to change them. I don't think people should just break laws because they want to just cuz. Really, breaking laws just because one wants to is indicative of a problem, imo.

Lets see:

1. You may get a criminal record.

2. It may prevent miltary service or some other types of government service.

3. It is a gateway drug to other much more harmful types of drug.

4. When using it (and this is only from what I have read) one can act in a particularily stupid and dangerous manner. Inhibitions drop and decisions can be made that will have life long consequences, perhaps taking something harder, unprotected sex, driving......

5. Given that it is illegal and use of the substance is a defacto support for drug smugglers. Using it pays for their lifestyle and a system that results in dead police, tortured DEA agents, murdered judges....etc. Just look at the drug war in Mexico...

6. It is not a behavior indicative of high moral character.

#3 has not been proven conclusively, and #6 is subjective. Of course, you're entitled to that subjectivity. I agree with your other reasons.

Edited by Mejane

I'd probably be disappointed and give some lectures to a recreational 21 yo pot smoker.

An adolescent with a regular haibt IMO is a far more worrying situation.

I don't support lawbreaking, but for the adult child it would not be my greatest concern.

Yes, I think it is a serious problem in some instances. I think a person who chooses to smoke pot for the simple reason of getting high has other issues in their life that need to be dealt with.

For some people it can be a gateway drug. Others have addictive personalities and can't stop. There is really no way to know if you will be someone who can smoke it a few times a year or someone who will ruin their lives so better not to try it at all. My dh was a big pot smoker in college, to the point where he went into huge credit card debt to pay for his pot. He was still smoking occassionaly after college. Right before I met him he promised himself he would stop and he did. When we were dating he was not thrilled that I held him to that. He said I was taking away his choices. I told him that my choice is not to date someone who does drugs. His choice was the drugs or me. He might not like the choices but he still had them.

That said, I have no issue with legalizing pot. It should be taxed just like cigarettes. I also believe that it is fine to smoke for medicinal reasons.

Jenny, I don't care the reasons it is illegal. I simply care that it is. If God said to smoke pot, then I would do it because God's law trumps man's. However, he doesn't. Instead, he says to follow the law.

And even when I wasn't practicing my faith, I felt that we should follow the laws or go through the proper channels to change them. I don't think people should just break laws because they want to just cuz. Really, breaking laws just because one wants to is indicative of a problem, imo.

The National Cotton Council of America thanks you! :lol: