Menu

Can you recommend on of these Disneyland hotels and why?

We're hot on the trail of pursuing our Disneyland trip in Sept. After doing some research these hotels surfaced. Can you recommend one of these and WHY? Thanks. Sheryl <><

Thanks Heidi....according to that description then, others please lmk distance/time to entrance.

• Anabella Hotel
  • Anaheim Fairfield Inn
  • Anaheim Marriott Hotel
  • Best Western Pavilions
  • Best Western Stovall's Inn
  • Carousel Inn & Suites
  • Clarion Hotel
  • Courtyard Anaheim
  • Hotel Menage
  • Hyatt Regency Orange County
  • Jolly Roger Hotel
  • Marriott Suites
  • Portofino Inn & Suites
  • Red Lion Hotel Anaheim
  • Residence Inn Maingate
  • Staybridge Suites
  • Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort

Edited by sheryl

I suggest you go to the Disneyland section of www.DisBoards.com (scroll down past all the WDW stuff) and search for the various hotels to read LOTS of opinions. I can't help with specifics because I haven't been to DLR since 1985!

I know there's a dedicated thread on that board with pictures of all the DLR offsite hotels. I looked at that a lot last winter when we were attempting to schedule a CA vacation this year (alas....).

Not on your list, but very close to the entrance: Desert Inn & Suites. It isn't luxury, but IME it is usually cheaper than most of the surrounding options. Their reviews on Trip Advisor can be found here: link. We've stayed several times, from when I was a teenager to more recently. It is a place to crash, nothing special. The parking is tight, but they do have an indoor pool.

Going in September when the weather should still be warm, I'd seriously consider the Howard Johnson. It is a perennial favorite on the disboards, and they have a water park on site. We haven't yet stayed there because our kids are still young, so the extra walking was daunting for them. You can often get a discount code for HoJo through one of the Disney forums, so investigate that if you don't mind the extra walking.

The last time we went, we were all set to stay at the Best Western Park Place Inn & Minisuites, which is as close to the entrance as you can get, but then a really good deal popped up for the Paradise Pier resort hotel, so we stayed there instead. (PP was nice, and worth it at $100 per night, but not worth it for the regular price.) Reviews of Best Western Park Place Inn & Minisuites can be found here: link.

Good luck deciding! Oh, and go for a Park Hopper if you can, so you can also go to California Adventure. On our last visit, we were surprised by how much we enjoyed visiting that park too!

Best Western, Stovall's -haven't ever been inside, but I wouldn't stay there. It is right across the street, south-west corner of Ca Adventure..but the rooms have doors to the outside, that sort of place. I used to work at the Coco's right next to it.

Mariott's are always nice.

Going in September when the weather should still be warm, I'd seriously consider the Howard Johnson. It is a perennial favorite on the disboards, and they have a water park on site. We haven't yet stayed there because our kids are still young, so the extra walking was daunting for them. You can often get a discount code for HoJo through one of the Disney forums, so investigate that if you don't mind the extra walking.

We stayed at the HoJo last September and it was fabulous! We stayed in one of the pirate themed kidsuites, and it was all brand new and really nice. About a 10 minute walk from the gates--normally it wouldn't have been bad at all, but there happened to be a crazy heat wave when we were there...so it seemed pretty long (particularly with a 3 year old) when it was 101.

One of my criteria for a Disneyland hotel is that I am walking distance from the main gate. You have to read the descriptions carefully. A hotel can be "across the street" from Disneyland but be all the way around the block on the opposite side of the park. I don't want to take a shuttle.

Stovall's is "right across the street"...if you take a hike down that way and turn that way.

I will check with Mr. Ellie when he gets home, because I cannot find, in my brain cell, the name of the hotel we've stayed at several times.:tongue_smilie:You pass an IHOP on the way to and from, which is SO convenient if you don't want to eat breakfast at Disneyland.

One of my criteria for a Disneyland hotel is that I am walking distance from the main gate. You have to read the descriptions carefully. A hotel can be "across the street" from Disneyland but be all the way around the block on the opposite side of the park. I don't want to take a shuttle.

Stovall's is "right across the street"...if you take a hike down that way and turn that way.

I will check with Mr. Ellie when he gets home, because I cannot find, in my brain cell, the name of the hotel we've stayed at several times.:tongue_smilie:You pass an IHOP on the way to and from, which is SO convenient if you don't want to eat breakfast at Disneyland.

OK Ellie, I'd appreciate it...will look forward to hearing from you. Like your pic!!!:D

We stayed at Portofino Inn and it was beautiful. We had one of the suites with a separate bunk bed room for the boys, and it worked really nicely. I'd recommend it. The only thing is that we walked to DL from the hotel and it was a *really long* walk. I'd purchase shuttle passes.

We loved Portofino, too. We did get shuttle passes. They were free with room rental I believe. Great hotel.

Are you going for the Homeschool days? We went two years ago and had a blast! And that was before they had an associated HS conference! The park was not busy at all, walk up to almost all rides, and the weather was gorgeous. :D

Anyway, not sure what your hotel criteria are, but mine was CHEAP. :D We stayed in the Hotel Menage, which was almost brand new and really nice for the price. The biggest drawback is it is not walkable, so you'd have to take a shuttle or drive & park. But it worked out ok for us because we'd drive the few blocks and my dad dropped me and the kids and my mom at the drop off gate and we avoided the park shuttle with a stroller. Then he parked and met us inside. It's actually really close to Disneyland, but across the freeway on the main road (Bell, I think it is), so probably walkable with older kids and teens, but not with little ones IMO.

We stayed at the Portofino last year in one of the suites with the bunkbeds. We liked it a lot, and we walked to the park every day. Walking to the park wasn't bad in the morning, but the walk back to the hotel seemed long. We managed OK though.

The Anaheim Fairfield Inn was a great choice for us. A couple of years ago we stayed at a hotel that advertised that it was one block from Disneyland. Well, the park might have been within one block, but an entrance wasn't. The walk was fine in the morning, but by evening we were all wiped out. The Fairfield is VERY close to the Disneyland entrace; a big plus in our book. There is also a McDonalds right in front of the hotel if you are looking for a cheap breakfast before you go to the park. Inside the hotel there is also a small store and a Pizza Hut. It is by no means a fancy hotel, but it was clean.

Enjoy your trip!

AllSmiles

We also loved Portofino...we managed the walk just fine, although it did seem longer on the way home as someone mentioned!

We also stayed at the one that looks like a castle--with knights & armor & stuff (might be the Carousel inn you have listed). Not that the rooms looked like that at all...hmm, it wasn't as nice as Portofino, the walk was shorter than Portofino, it was cheaper. Overall it worked fine, but I still would have preferred Portofino.

Ah...have fun! We'd love to go back!

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard last time, in one of the kid suites. It was perfect for us. The kitchenette was really nice to have. It's not walking distance though. We just drove and parked in the parking lot at Disney each day rather than dealing with the shuttle.

The Candy Cane is nice, too, and is walking distance, although I remember it being a bit noisier.

Thanks. Many of you say Portofino. Sparkle....interesting idea with the kid suite....can you explain what that is?

Has anyone ever heard of the Wyndham Resorts? Bonnetcreek or others? Good or bad?

http://www.wyndhambonnetcreek.com/

Marriott Courtyard -the kid suite has a living room with a foldout sofabed that sleeps two, and it also has a TV and dining table/chairs. There is a bedroom with a king-size bed and its own bathroom and a TV, then another smaller bedroom with bunkbeds and an adjoining bathroom. And then a kitchenette w/fridge, sink, dishwasher, microwave, etc. It sleeps six altogether. I liked having the separate bedroom for me and dh - more privacy. The kids liked the bunkbeds and they traded off between them and the sleeper sofa. It's not a really huge suite, but we were basically only there to sleep and eat breakfast, so we didn't need a ton of room. I think Portofino has similar suites.

Don't know if it matters, but this past March my kids and I stayed at the Days Inn and Suites Anaheim, just a few blocks from the main entrance. At the time I was looking for the least expensive, highest reviews, continental breakfast, cheapest or free shuttle and this was one of the two that made it through all the cuts. :) I was very happy with our room and the hotel. The shuttle too tips, but other than that it was free and took us right from the hotel to the main gate. We walked back after the end of our day (we were ready to and didn't want to wait for the next shuttle) and that was fine except we did have one busy intersection to cross. That felt a bit harrowing, but it was fine. The pool is small but shaped like Mickey Mouse's head (although a bit oblong) and we could see the Disney fireworks over the hotel. Only problem was they started at 9:25 and we were still on MN time meaning it was 11:25 to us and the kids were so tired they were upset about the noise of the fireworks keeping them awake. :)

By the way, I spent HOURS studying hotels, prices, anemnities, etc. before we went.