Menu

Feeding family of 6 with 2 burners and lots of ground beef

So we're here on the ranch for the summer. Lots of plusses to this situation, but one of the rather large minuses is the cooking situation..... I have 2 burners on the stove and a crock pot, but no oven! Also have lots of ground beef, and stew meat (both beef and venison).

With all of us working outside all day, it takes a LOT of food to keep us all satisfied. So, any recipe ideas for hearty meals?

I'm a little tired of the following:

Tacos

Sloppy Joes

Spaghetti

Hamburgers

Chili

Beef Stew

Lentil Stew

I look forward to all of your creative ideas! :)

Jackie

I have a recipe that I only use when camping that would work. To your ground beef in a pot, add a can of tomato sauce, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a soup can of water, 1 lb. pasta shells already cooked, about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to taste, a generous sprinkling of chili powder. Warm it until the cheese is melted and everything is hot.

Another thing you could do with the ground beef for something a little different than the tomato based recipes you're tired of, is add 8oz of sour cream, egg noodles, salt and pepper. You would have a stroganoff of some sort. :001_smile:

HTH

How about BBQ meat balls with mashed potatoes.

Tarragon Hotdish.

Brown 1# hamburger with onion.

add 2 tsp tarragon

2 cups water

2cubes beer bouillon

1 cup rice

Cook til rice is done.

Add 2 cups shredded cabbage

cook for a few minutes.

Add 1 cup sour cream

1 cup monterey jack cheese.

Hungarian Venison Paprika

(Crockpot meal)

2-3 onions diced

3 cloves garlic - minced

2-3 # venison ( cubed)

2T oil

2T Hungarian Paprika

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

4 cups water

Saute Onion, garlic, paprika, salt & pepper in oil. Add meat and saute until browned. ( 15 minutes)

Put in crock pot - low 8 - 10 hours.

Just before serving add 1 cup sour cream.

Serve over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.

What about a stuffed pepper type recipe? Okay you can't bake it in the oven obviously. But you can brown the ground beef and saute the peppers and cook rice on a stove top and basically just toss it all together at the end and eat it all mixed in rather than putting it into peppers and baking it.

You know, meat, rice, diced onion, tomato and pepper, season it up, add cheese, mix it all together or layer it.

You could do like a stroganoff type thing (I don't have a recipe at hand but with egg noodles and sour cream and whatever). I don't know if that's supposed to be baked afterward but I'm sure you could do it without baking.

I can't think of anything else, everything else I would have said, you are already sick of lol.

How about Taco Salad? Brown ground beef, add 1/2 pkg taco seasoning but not the water.In bowl layer lettuce, tomatoes, whole kernal corn(or mexicorn), some type of bean(black or garbanzo), onion,ground beef,velveeta that has been melted with rotel. Top with fritos.

Hope this helps, we love it.

Debbi

Guest My4cowpokes

This may be more prep than you would like.

POOR MAN'S STEAK

2lbs ground beef

1 sleeve saltines, crushed

1/4 - 1/2 c milk

salt and pepper to taste

mix together and press into rectangular cookie sheet.

cut into patties

dip into flour and fry til brown (not cooked), place in crock pot

2 cans cream of mushroom (or can cream of mushroom and 1 can of golden

mushroom soup)

1 soup can of milk

mix soups and water and pour over steaks

cook n low at least 2 hours on high maybe 1 hour?

I make this for church potluck and it's a hit. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.

I'm just getting ready to make stuffed cabbage... just mix ground beef, raw rice (few tablespoons), onion, and breadcrumbs, roll a small amount up in a cabbage leaf (you can freeze and defrost the cabbage for easy rolling), and cover in bbq sauce. Put in crockpot on low for the day. YUM!

1. To one lb add 1 egg, 1/4 cup dried minced onions, one slice of stale bread, torn into dice, 1/4 tsp smoked salt, 1/8 tsp Beau Monde Seasoning salt, 1/8 tsp Lawry's seasoned salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 cup milk. Mix thoroughly, cook as burgers, serve on buns or Kaiser rolls with chopped red onion.

2. To one lb add 1/4 cup burgundy wine and 1 tsp salt. Shape into very thin patties. Cover half of these with crumbled blue cheese to half an inch from the edges. Cover with a plain half and seal with your fingers. Cook as usual, turning very gently to avoid the cheese leaking out. Best served on toasted sourdough bread.

For your stew meat. . .

We love, love, love this OAMC beef recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Beef-Casserole-Base-48835

Follow the links in it to the Mexican Casserole Recipe and the Beef Diane recipe to see how you use the beef base once it is made. They are all stove top recipes. Everyone we've fed either of those two recipes to has loved it. They are both insanely good, IMHO.

Brown 1 lb hamburger in large pot. Add chopped up green peppers (can substitute zucchini) and fry for 1 more minute. Add 1 1/2 cup brown rice and 3 cups water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 1 hour. If is actually really quick to make, you just have to do the prep 1 hour before you are ready to eat. You may need to cook 2 batches in 2 pans. Serve with teriyaki sauce.

We lived on a 25 foot sailboat for 7 years. I had 2 propane burners and a toaster oven. It's amazing the things I was able to cook there. Here's 2 suggestions from before I got the toaster oven.

Unstuffed Peppers: All the ingredients that go into your usual stuffed peppers, but cut up and mixed in a skillet. Serve the meat, peppers and sauce over rice or potatoes.

Skillet Lasagna: Your usual lasagna ingredients tossed in a skillet with some other bit size wavy noodle. After adding the noodles to the mix, top with mozzarella cheese and let it melt. I like mafalda noodles for this, they remind me of mini lasagna noodles, but I have a hard time finding them.

So we're here on the ranch for the summer. Lots of plusses to this situation, but one of the rather large minuses is the cooking situation..... I have 2 burners on the stove and a crock pot, but no oven! Also have lots of ground beef, and stew meat (both beef and venison).

With all of us working outside all day, it takes a LOT of food to keep us all satisfied. So, any recipe ideas for hearty meals?

I'm a little tired of the following:

Tacos

Sloppy Joes

Spaghetti

Hamburgers

Chili

Beef Stew

Lentil Stew

I look forward to all of your creative ideas! :)

Jackie

stuffed peppers

Stuffed zuchinni (probably spelled that wrong, sorry)

Stuffed Eggplant

There's a Turkish beef stew that's really a vegetable stew with a little ground beef:

cook peeled & chopped up eggplant, potatoes, onions, okra (if you like that), peppers, green beans, tomatoes, etc. Do not add water for the first 30-45 minutes - just saute in veg oil (the eggplant will be tough otherwise). Once the eggplant is soft and cooked, add water, some ground beef, seasonings (salt, pepper, maybe a little cumin if you want). Simmer till really really done.

Actually, you start with just the eggplant, then later add the rest of the vegetables in layers so they cook as needed (potatoes need more heat than green beans).

Burritos - rice and beans are very filling and you can fry up some hamburger with taco seasoning.

Alfredo Pasta (yes, I buy the sauce in the jar, but you can make an easy cream sauce).

Maybe you can find some good crockpot recipes here:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

I've tried her meatloaf recipe and it was very good! If you have eggs, try her Mexican Breakfast Casserole and add in browned hamburger. It's yummy!

One more--very kid-friendly!

Cheeseburger Soup

2 tablespoons onion, chopped

½ cup shredded carrots (I pulverize in food processor)

½ cup diced celery (optional)

½ teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

4 tablespoons butter or margarine

3 cups chicken broth

2 cups diced peeled potatoes

½ pound hamburger, browned & drained

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

10 ounces processed American cheese, torn into pieces

1 ½ cups milk

1/8 teaspoon pepper

¼ cup sour cream (optional)

Melt butter in a large pot and saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about ten minutes. Add broth, potatoes, and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until potatoes just start to get tender. While soup is simmering, tear or cube cheese into smaller pieces and set aside. Pour milk into a bowl and whisk in flour, stirring to remove any lumps. When simmering is complete, stir flour-milk mixture into soup. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese and pepper, stirring frequently until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.

Note: I usually double this recipe so we have leftovers. I also often wing it on the amounts of carrots, potatoes and cheese.