Menu

What is your favorite Dystopian Literature?

My oldest son and I have found ourselves on a dystopian lit binge. We've recently read old favorites such as Brave New World, 1984, Anthem, The Giver, Fahrenheit 451, Harrison Bergeron, and have The Haidmaid's Tale in the queue. What are some of your favorites? We're not afraid of mature subject matter, although I'm not sure how much Vonnegut we'll read because he can be exceedingly vulgar at times even though he was my favorite author when I was my son's age. I'll have to reread Player Piano at least. Has anyone read The Road? How was that?

Thanks

I also have a fixation with this sort of literature. If you've read The Giver - you may find reading Plato's Republic and then comparing the two quite enlightening.

Also - as for the Road - VERY graphic about some disturbing topics that I don't even want to mention here. It is an excellent book - but far darker than any you've mentioned. I don't censor my DS's reading much at all, but this one I've kept away from him for now (he's 13).

I'm reading the Gone series by Michael Grant. They are modern YA books. Very interesting reads. Also, Tomorrow when the War Began is the first book in a great series based in Australia. The author is John Marsden. Also YA books.

Edited by Kalah
Wrong title

Books you don't have listed that I enjoyed (all YA)

Declaration and Resistance by Gemma Malley. I don't know when the next book will be coming out.

Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman. I don't know when the next book is coming out. This one reminds me a lot of This Perfect Day by Ira Levin, but without the adult content. This Perfect Day has a LOT of adult content.

The Sky Inside and The Walls Have Ears by Clare B. Dunkle. These two reminded me a lot of The Giver, but with an ending that made sense. My 14yo and I liked these two books a LOT better than The Giver.

I liked The Giver up until the ending. I liked Gathering Blue until the ending. I didn't think Messenger made any sense at all. I was highly disappointed with the series.

Besides what's on the list already. I've recently started reading some classic sci-fy that might fit.

Starship Troopers

The Forever War

Forever Peace

but

Fahrenheit 451 is my favorite dystopian

additional books that are dystopian

The Time Machine by Wells

The Martian Chronicles by Bradbury

Feed - is a very modern YA book. It isn't good literature, but it is a good dystopia.

The Running Man

I think everything by Vonnegut is dystopian. :) but thats just my opinion. The Sirens of Titan probably fits best here.

While I'm giving more philosophical authors that can probably all just be thrown into some form of dystopian world together (although he's really an existentialist ) how about Camus? Probably the The Plague although I thought The Stranger was a better book.

Guest Virginia Dawn
My oldest son and I have found ourselves on a dystopian lit binge. We've recently read old favorites such as Brave New World, 1984, Anthem, The Giver, Fahrenheit 451, Harrison Bergeron, and have The Haidmaid's Tale in the queue. What are some of your favorites? We're not afraid of mature subject matter, although I'm not sure how much Vonnegut we'll read because he can be exceedingly vulgar at times even though he was my favorite author when I was my son's age. I'll have to reread Player Piano at least. Has anyone read The Road? How was that?

Thanks

You probably aren't looking for books this young but I really enjoyed The Gammage Cup, and The Twenty-One Balloons. Your younger child might get something out of them.

I've read The Road, I wouldn't classify it as dystopian. I personally did not care for it and didn't think it lived up to it's reputation.

James Hilton's Lost Horizon might be considered dystopian in a way. It is an excellent book. It definitely gives you food for thoughts about utopias. This is where the term Shangri-La Came from.

I didn't see Animal Farm mentioned.

Edited by Virginia Dawn