Menu

Oklahoma

A kindred spirit. :D

I just watched a movie at the Warren in the balcony for the first time, a couple of weeks ago (Public Enemies). It's awesome!

Do you guys go to the OKC zoo often? Once it cools down, we should have a meet up.

Jill,

Yes, we go to the Zoo. In fact, we just went there a couple of weekends ago when the high was in the low 90's. It wasn't too bad but still toasty.

I have been up in the balcony a couple of times. It is great but at $18 per person it is a luxury we don't get to experience often.

You should PM me sometime so that we can maybe set up a time to meet.

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone in the Muskogeee area? New to homeschooling and VERY excited about The Well Trained Mind! I am so thankful to have a guidebook to classical education. I have ordered in Story of the world, Writing With Ease and First Language Lessons after reading WTM. We will also be using Saxon Math, Shurley English, Handwriting Without Tears, Science, Latin and anything else I can fit into the schedule. Would love to find some like minded folks in our area.

Sorry I've been MIA and missed this! We're on the Tulsa side of Haskell, but it's only about 30 minutes to Muskogee.

How old are your kiddos? I know 4 or 5 other families in Haskell that homeschool and at least one in Muskogee. (The Muskogee family has older kids, high school aged.) We sometimes go to a Down Syndrome Support group (that's the Muskogee group but actually meets in Ft. Gibson).

Kristin

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently I keep forgetting to check back also! LOL My kids are 8 and 7. I understand that there are quite a few Muskogee homeschoolers but I can't seem to find them. I don't think they really "advertise" themselves. Wish we were able to join the TAHS for activities but constant trips to Tulsa just aren't in the schedule right now. We drive through Haskell to go to Tulsa, it's not a bad drive.

We started "school" on Aug. 3rd and we are loving it!!! The kids are really enjoying the classical method.

Anyone in Tulsa have your kids in the Homeschool Choir? Is it worth it? Do they require parents to volunteer?

I do and so do several people I know. I do not think they require volunteering, altho I'm sure it is appreciated. I know I will not be volunteering. I just don't have time or a babysitter for my other kids!

dd wanted to do violin this year and had to drop some activities to do it....one of them was choir. She enjoyed it and we would consider doing it again.

volunteering--they ask for volunteers a few times. Like for the Christmas play, It wasn't mandatory. If you could volunteer, you did. I volunteered to put on stage makeup. We practiced during one regular choir time and then I got to the play a little early. Some moms helped with costumes. They asked one time and I never heard anything else about it. Seems like they had some people help with setting up for the reception.

As far as regular volunteers, last year, they had 2 or 3 moms that were always helpers in the room. I don't recall them asking for everyone else to rotate in for that. I always stayed downstairs with my younger dd or sometimes ran errands.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone is watching this thread anymore but I just ran across it tonight so I thought I would add myself to this list.

I have two sons who are just turning 4 years old so we are still in the preliminary stages of homeschooling. We are really just doing fun stuff and playing as we learn about counting and reading. Lots of playing, play dough, cutting, coloring and that sort of fun stuff. Everything we do right now is informal, although I toy with the idea of adding a bit more formal structure at times.

We are in south Tulsa, although we have purchased a lot in Owasso. We have our home up for sale (by owner) and are hoping it sells soon. We are working with an architect to design our new home but we will not start building until we sell our current home.

I would love to meet some local mom's from this forum. I agree with a previous poster that it is starting to get lonely, now that everyone's littles are attending preschool. My email address is lea@pisarik.com, if anyone wants to contact me. Thanks!

Don't know anything about groups in the Duncan area, but homeschooling is still great here! Homeschooling is protected in our state's constitution, so there's no reporting, no required testing, nada. The only requirement that I am aware of is that you do have to provide 180 days of school per year, but I believe "day" is defined pretty loosely, too.

• 3 months later...

Hello Ladies ~

I live in southwest OKC, nice to meet you! I recently joined TWTM forum and was happy to see this thread as I have been exploring coops in the area. I HS my DD 11 (my one and only) and we are involved with a CC Essentials program in north OKC but wondered about coops in the South OKC/Norman area. There seem to be very few in this area. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dina :seeya:

Edited by Dina in Oklahoma

• 1 month later...

New to to WTM board ...

I've been back in OK for a couple years now ... during football season I try very hard to not go into "town" on a game day!

OSU games that is ... when they play at home traffic is horrid!

That being said ... I am not living IN the city there, but about 10 miles outside.

Anyone care to guess where? ;)

~Rachel

Personally I am not a fan of ANY of it .. so no hard feeling here!

Thanks for the welcome ... hope to stay put for awhile, fixing to move into a house next mth that may become the place I finally STAY.

I have moved around a LOT all my life, so it will be a first for me if I stay longer then 2 years!

• 2 weeks later...

GO POKES!:hurray:

New to to WTM board ...

I've been back in OK for a couple years now ... during football season I try very hard to not go into "town" on a game day!

OSU games that is ... when they play at home traffic is horrid!

That being said ... I am not living IN the city there, but about 10 miles outside.

Anyone care to guess where?

~Rachel

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can anyone talk to me about HS groups in the Tulsa area? We are having a hard time finding the right group. Joined TAHS and having difficulties there. Also, just recently joined HERO, but have not attended anything yet as they do not do much in the summer. Please help!

I'm looking for the following possible extracurriculiar recommendations:

group year around swim lessons for 1 year to 15 year old (not Miller Swim or Salvation Army. One is far more than we can afford and the other flaked out on us too often)

football for 12 year old (not NOAH. I don't care how great they are, they are too expensive. a rec league is preferred but not required)

rock climbing for a 14 year old and a couple 10 year olds (not just a gym where they climb the same wall every week)

a toastmasters group for teens

theatre (not CHEER drama) for middle school and or high school

dance (not ballet and not Rejoice, prefer it not be advertized a christian)

Can any of you email or PM with recommendations???

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lurking for a bit, but thought that I would pop in and say hi. I'm Lisa and I live in Jenks. I have seven children. My oldest will begin college this fall. I will have a 5th, 4th, 2nd and 1st grader to homeschool this fall, plus a 3 and one year old.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any PE, music or art co-ops in the Tulsa area?

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Lisa

Music stuff--Tulsa Homeschool Choir--Awesome. It's inexpensive and they do REAL music. The year we did it, there was a Christmas musical and a spring recital. They do consider themselves Christian, but it's not in-your-face. ie.... We did a Christmas musical...which was definitely Christian, but I didn't see anything that was denomination specific and all I saw in class was music instruction. We quit doing it when we started violin with a performance-intensive group.

TAHS--Last I knew, they were doing PE twice a month and lots of activities. They had art class once a month this last year and did some science classes together. They do holiday parties with card exchanges, etc... For whatever reason, we just couldn't find a niche here. It's secular and inclusive.

Cornerstone Homeschool Group--I've never been to a meeting, but I'm on their listserve. They are secular and inclusive and they do lots of activities.

CHEER--Christian homeschool group with a statement of faith. I tried this and didn't like all of the night mom meetings. Plus, my kids were too young, at the time, to do many of the activities. I think I'm going to try this group again, now that my kids are old enough to do more. They have a co-op, but they do sign-ups in the spring and you have to already be a member to sign up.

Drama--I believe there is the Lamplight Theatre? Or maybe a community playhouse that I have heard that does drama. I don't know how much of these are classes and how much is just trying out for parts in their productions.

Sports/Swimming--What about the YMCA? The one by LaFortune has an indoor pool with family swim times. And some of them have homeschool PE type classes and sports leagues. I don't know if they do year-round swim lessons or not.

Tulsa Parks and Recreation--I've never done them, but I've seen lists of various activities and they offer tons of stuff. Dance, cooking, gymnastics, football, etc.... I don't know how good they are, but they are inexpensive.

I've been lurking for a bit, but thought that I would pop in and say hi. I'm Lisa and I live in Jenks. I have seven children. My oldest will begin college this fall. I will have a 5th, 4th, 2nd and 1st grader to homeschool this fall, plus a 3 and one year old.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any PE, music or art co-ops in the Tulsa area?

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Lisa

The Glenpool/Bixby Rec Center offers a Homeschool PE program on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

Jen ~ We are in the same situation regarding finding a group. We went to a TAHS meeting once. The kids enjoyed it I think. However, my work schedule just hasn't worked out so we can go. As much as I've made an effort to get involved there, it just hasn't happened. So I'm beginning to wonder if it's just not the group for us.

I would really like to get my kids involved somewhere but I'm just not sure where.

CHEER--Christian homeschool group with a statement of faith. I tried this and didn't like all of the night mom meetings. Plus, my kids were too young, at the time, to do many of the activities. I think I'm going to try this group again, now that my kids are old enough to do more. They have a co-op, but they do sign-ups in the spring and you have to already be a member to sign up.

Last I heard, you have to be a member of the group for at least a year (or is it two?) before you can join the co-op. And it. is. expensive.

Hi Lisa! Nice to meet you! :)

Are you talking about CHEER? You have to be a member for one school year before you can join the coop. And we don't find it all that expensive--there are mom-taught classes that are basically free, you just have to pay a building fee each semester.

Just wanted to chime in since we have investigated several coops in the Tulsa area and found this one to be one of the more affordable ones! :)

Jen ~ We are in the same situation regarding finding a group. We went to a TAHS meeting once. The kids enjoyed it I think. However, my work schedule just hasn't worked out so we can go. As much as I've made an effort to get involved there, it just hasn't happened. So I'm beginning to wonder if it's just not the group for us.

I would really like to get my kids involved somewhere but I'm just not sure where.

Last I heard, you have to be a member of the group for at least a year (or is it two?) before you can join the co-op. And it. is. expensive.

Hi Lisa! Nice to meet you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. everyone. I am still at a loss about finding a group. In hopes that HERO might work at least for a few field trips and get-togethers. Maybe this group should plan our own outings!:001_smile: Of course, it would be nice if there was something here in Muskogee for us. I will just have to trust that this issue will work itself out.

Guest ErinM

Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Erin and I have decided to homeschool my ds4 and dd3. They were in preschool two days a week last year but for all kinds of reason, we are going to try homeschooling this year (or as much schooling as kids their age "need"). The info on the Tulsa area groups is really helpful as I think it might be a good idea for us to join one. We live in Tulsa and in fact I am a native Tulsan but my husband is from New Zealand.

Guest AnnieRUOk

Hello! I'm new to the forum and wanted to check into the Oklahoma area. My first baby is due the first week of September. I plan to homeschool when the time comes and it will be a learning experience for me as well because I have no idea where to start on that. A big hello to everyone and hope to meet and make some friends. :grouphug:

Hi, just an introduction from me as well. :) My name is Wendy, I live just north of Tulsa. I have 7 little ones, we have homeschooled for 7 years now. We overhauled our curriculum last year and because of Story of the World I found the hive. I have lurked for many months now, time to start posting lol.

I am reading the Tulsa groups info with interest...I don't know yet what we will do for a support group right now.

Hi Heather, good to see you here :) .

So, we have been trying homeschool groups in Tulsa. Then we enrolled in a dance co. in Tahlequah. Since we will driving that direction several times a week for dance I wondered if anyone on this board is involved in a homeschool group in the Tahlequah area. We had our first class yesterday and were pleasantly surprised to find out that most of the kids in this dance co. are homeschoolers. Looking forward to getting to know some folks that way.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I realized this is a bit of an old thead but I figured I would respond since I am new to the forum. I live in the Muskogee area but I realized our kids attend dance at the same dance studio in Tahlequah. I drive nearly an hour to get there but Ms. Kim is so awesome; my kids just love her. I noticed your DS was taking the Irish dancing. My DS, 5, has wanted to take the Irish dancing class since seeing it at last year's recital (sister was dancing in that recital) but I told him he had to take a year of Pre-Ballet/Tap first (plus I figured he needed to be a little older), so he is taking that along with big sister taking Ballet/Tap. But this Fall, he will definitely be signed up for the Irish dance...

I hope you were able to find a homeschool group in the Tahlequah area. If you weren't, PM me and I can help you with that. The homeschool co-op we are a part of currently meets in Muskogee but it used to meet closer to Tahlequah and I think some of Tahlequah area memebers who didn't want to make the drive to Muskogee are meeting in Tahlequah but you might have already found those ladies by now. Nice to meet you !:)

I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. We currently live in the country in the middle of nowhere SW of Muskogee. At least, that is how my city friends describe it to me when they talk about where I live...:lol:.. they also mention the word boondocks...

But we love it and don't ever want to live in town ever again...

Anyhow, this is my 3rd year of homeschooling, although before kids, I was secondary science teacher in the public schools.. This is the first year I have really felt like I have settled in my groove. Overall, I have found curriculum that seems to work for us and that I enjoy teaching. My DD got to be the guinea pig and her younger brother is reaping the benefits. The best thing for me is being able to teach my kids the way I wished I had been taught. It gladdens my heart to see how much my kiddos love books and that we are able to use that love in our schooling. I loved books as a kid but reading books was something done mostly outside of school... Hooray for living books !

I look forward to talking with some of the other Okies on here...

Take care !

Guest RobinEgg

Hi, I was hoping to connect with homeschoolers in southeast OK. We are not really homeschooling yet as DD is 26 mo and DS is 3 mo. But we plan to. I am not from the area, although my husband is, and I have no connections. I'm sure there are are some like-minded people hiding out here!

Martha

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tandy. Glad to meet you. I take it you are a member of HEARTS. Last I heard they were not taking new members after the split and all. As a matter of principle I will not join a group that excludes people and judges who is Christian "enough" to join. I thank you for the offer of information however. We found a very nice group in Tahlequah. It is a very small group and we are Christians who choose not exclude anyone else. This group was started with former members of HEARTS who found the "not Christian enough" letter they all got very hurtful and offensive.

Tahlequah Ballet is awesome and well worth the drive. My son loves the Irish dancing. Both my kids are in Ballet III and my daughter is also in the apprentice class. Needless to say, we are there alot! LOL

Glad to know there is someone else in the area who homeschools classically. I was beginning to think we were the only homeschoolers in Muskogee period. lol Took me awhile to figure out that the groups just weren't open. Last year we drove to Tulsa weekly to meet with a homeschool group there. Once we joined Tahlequah Ballet, this was not possible and I started looking for a group in Tahlequah since we are there 3 or more times a week. I am sure eventually our paths will cross at the dance studio. Again, good to meet you.

Jennifer

Tandy, I just realized that you said SW Muskogee, we are NW Muskogee. I understand the drive! Totally worth it however for such a quality dance program.

Also, please do not take offense to my comments about HEARTS. I do not know these people. However, I have recently met several who were hurt when the split occured. We are still fairly new to homeschooling and it is easy for me to see why people give up and put their kids back in school when the groups exclude others and behave in a way that is hurtful to others, especially those who are new and needing support.