Menu

Oklahoma

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else in Duncan, yet? My friend's there and I'm always checking into see if someone else had gone that far ;)

Newbie here. We just started on HMSCing our kiddos, a preschooler and toddler last summer. We're in Lawton, OK. Yea for Oklahoma! :001_smile:

Hey, Duncan and Lawton are somewhat close aren't they? :)

I miss OK so much! I lived in Stillwater for the first few years of life, then in Monroe (outside of Poteau) off and on until I was 15. My parents worked all the time, so my brother and I grew up most of the time on my grandparents' farm in Monroe. It was our place of consistency and stability, so it's home to me. I love the pastures surrounded by mountains, the way people walking and people driving wave to each other when they meet on the road (I still do this - it's a reflex I can't shake and it's so out of place where I live now), the hay forts we used to build in the barn, the storms that came out of nowhere and passed just as quickly, the rushing creeks flowing through our "jungle" (aka overgrown clump of trees seeking water), and my family - my grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins . . . I need an OK fix soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations! You will love homeschooling here. You do not need to report to anyone or resigister in anyway! It is so easy! Tulsa has lots of opportunities for homeschool sports, choir, band and many other things. Do know where exactly you will be moving to? In Tulsa ? Or one of the surrounding areas?

So does anyone else here have kids in THC??

My older dd did it one year. She seemed to enjoy it, but didn't want to do it again. We passed by the church a few months ago and younger dd asked when she would be old enough to do choir. :) She's going to do it next year, since older dd is going to school.

Does anyone here use Augustine Christian Academy?

I'm looking into my high schoolers taking some courses there next semester.

I don't personally, but a friend of mine had her son in the elementary school, and they were very happy with it while he was there. They are now living and homeschooling in Illinois. :)

• 1 month later...
Never thought about checking the networking thread. We live part time south of Tulsa In Bixby. The rest of the time in Florida.

We just looked at houses in Bixby (and Jenks). Bought in BA. Hope to be there in about 4 weeks.

Exciting that there are so many of you in the same area. Do you all ever get together? We'll want to get involved in groups (support groups, extracurriculars, etc.) and get to know other local hsing families. I'll also need recommendations for soooo many things (church, doctors/dentists, gymnastics, hairdresser and more).

Dr = Dr. James Ross

Church...LOL...well...that may take you a while. This is the buckle of the Bible belt with a church on (almost) every corner. A church for every flavor. ;) Do you belong to a particular denomination or non?

LOL yep. More likely to find a church than a gas station.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone here use Augustine Christian Academy?

I'm looking into my high schoolers taking some courses there next semester.

Martha, I haven't used Augustine, but a friend put her son in school there for high school after she had homeschooled him up to that point. He was an only child and she felt he needed more interaction than just looking at her all day :D From talking with her, it was a good/positive experience. She did, however, spend a lot of time there volunteering for various things.

When my ds had some severe health issues, I was looking into various options 'in case' and at that time (2000) Augustine was high on my list.

I know this is a very late response, but if you are still contemplating it, I can either put you in touch with my friend, or ask her any questions you may have.

Hope you and the new baby are settling in well.

Well we decided to start light. One son is taking Spanish at corner stone. And another 2 are taking lukeion Greek online. If these go well this year, then next year we will look into more involved outside classes. We decided the cost was more than we could handle for Augustine this year and we also felt it might be a bit over whelming for their first classes outside the home.

But so far, it's still high on my list of prospects.

Baby has gained a pound since we came home! All the 24/7 nursing is paying off! And I seem to healing quicker and doing better over all than expected according to the dr today. So other than being exhausted and accomplishing nothing other than nursing, surfing the net, and naps whenever I can get them - life is nothing to complain about these days.:)

Ok, Tulsa area ladies... I'm looking for an enrichment program and a place to get plugged in with other homeschoolers. I'd love to find somewhere for some hands on science classes or music/art or something along those lines.

Still lots of boxes to unpack, but enjoying poking around the area a little at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, Tulsa area ladies... I'm looking for an enrichment program and a place to get plugged in with other homeschoolers. I'd love to find somewhere for some hands on science classes or music/art or something along those lines

I'm not real familiar with all-in-one programs. We piece together, as our schedule allows.

CHEER offers a co-op, but you have to be a member for a year.

Tulsa Homeschool Choir is good for music. They run during a traditional school year and will have sign-ups in August. They learn general music and do a program or two each year. Different ages have class at different times and the moms sit around and talk while they wait. Older dd did it one year, but dropped it when she started violin. Younger dd is going to do it next year. There is also a homeschool band program, but we haven't done it.

We take art classes(we've done drawing and cartooning, and she offers painting) through a teacher who does classes geared towards homeschoolers, but containing the occasional private school student. I don't want to post her private info, but pm me if you are interested in this option.

We have done CHEER coop for several years and really enjoy it. They do offer hands-on science classes but snickelfritz is right, you have to be a member of CHEER for a year first. Maybe something to consider for next year.

I've heard great things about Homeschool Choir but we've never done it as it has always conflicted with our coop day. My kids did participate in homeschool band and guitar last year. It is very reasonably priced and they loved it! We are definitely doing it again next year.

Not sure about art classes. There are some available but I'm not familiar with any of them.

HTH!

Ok, Tulsa area ladies... I'm looking for an enrichment program and a place to get plugged in with other homeschoolers. I'd love to find somewhere for some hands on science classes or music/art or something along those lines.

Still lots of boxes to unpack, but enjoying poking around the area a little at a time.

Ditto the Homeschool choir. One of my dd's was in it this past Spring semester and LOVED it!!!

We were never involved in CHEER's co-op when we were in the group, mainly because of the cost. :ohmy:

FAITH has a co-op as well but I'm not sure what the subjects will be this coming year or what day it will be on. The past few years it has been on Fridays. It's no extra charge for group members to have their kids in the co-op.

For art you might check out Philbrook's 2nd Saturday's free days. Kids (I don't remember what ages) get a plastic box and each month get a free art supply and an "art card". The art card correlates with an exhibit in the museum and has an activity on the back to teach the artist's style. The art supply they get is something they need to complete the activity. While it's not a class, it's a fun way to incorporate art into your schooling.

Hi there! I'm an Oklahoma homeschooling momma to 7, ages 1 to 16. Diapers to driving! lol!! Nice to see there's lots of okie moms here. We just moved to out dream house (read major fixer-upper) in the country complete with chickens and puppies, not to mention the fleas, ticks, scorpions and poison ivy. We're about 15 mins east of OKC.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
:iagree: I don't know anything about the old format since we're new this year, but I was looking forward to meeting/visiting with other families.

They used to meet in a church that let everyone hang out in a lobby/lounge area. It had some couches, tables, etc.... The new location works for me, though having to sit in the car has been.....hot. My first day, I tried to go to Starbucks and the traffic was so bad that I literally had time to go through drive through and drive right back.

I saw a vehicle with TN plates pulling out on registration day and I wondered if it was you.:D

They used to meet in a church that let everyone hang out in a lobby/lounge area. It had some couches, tables, etc.... The new location works for me, though having to sit in the car has been.....hot. My first day, I tried to go to Starbucks and the traffic was so bad that I literally had time to go through drive through and drive right back.

I saw a vehicle with TN plates pulling out on registration day and I wondered if it was you.:D

'Twas me! Well, I'm guessing it was as we still have the TN tags. We have Desert Storm TN tags.

We've been going to the library, but I don't take P. to get there but instead cross it to R. :lol: Does that make sense? I did make the mistake of leaving by way of P. though and sat forever!

• 3 weeks later...
We are! The new format is not terribly conducive to meeting people.

I have NO idea how I missed these replies!! I kept looking in the forum but the thread never appeared to have new threads. *shrug*

I am NOT happy with the choir this year. This is the 11th year and they are so disorganized and act like they have never done this. The registration day was a complete cluster. Of course, me feeling horrible that day with a pounding headache probably didn't help matters much either.

And I'm in total agreement about the location. Especially when you have kids in two different choirs. Usually I sit in the car while we wait on the 11yo. Then when my oldest goes in for concert choir I go run errands or something.

We've been out of town the last two weeks but we'll be there this coming week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm in Louisiana now but am looking to move to OK in the summer of next year. Problem is, I don't know WHERE in OK we will end up. It is largely dependent on homeschool groups, active 4H groups, etc. We can live anywhere with work. Just need to find our 'home' city, you know? We are secular but would be ok in a christian based group as long as they were ok we are secular (can't sign any kind of declaration, etc). I love Tulsa, but want to get a bit further east. My mom and dad live in Inola. We are looking at Claremore and even West Siloam Springs. I have done google searches, facebook searches, etc. It's so hard finding a place when you are basing it off of homeschooling groups access, etc.

Does anybody have any ideas of where we should look? I'm lost :(

As far as HS groups in the Tulsa area, probably Tulsa Area Homeschoolers will fit you. They are all inclusive. The majority of the groups around here (in the buckle of the Bible Belt ;)) will require a signing a Statement of Faith. There are probably all inclusive's around...check the Tulsa Home Educator's website for group listings.

Claremore would be a good location to be close to Tulsa for activities but more east. And you'd have local access to the dairy farm for raw milk and cheese. ;)

I don't know about 4H in the area.

Claremore might be good bc it is so close to Owasso. There are 2 or 3 largish home school groups out there and enough businesses to not need to drive to Tulsa for everything. Home school band meets out there and there is a 4-h option as well. And Claremore has a pagan "group" so there's at least 2 other nonChristians who get together and ruffle the collective feathers of the Christian community.:tongue_smilie:

I'm now in contact with the Tulsa Home Educators and it looks like a great group. Do you guys have any contact info the ones in Claremore? I'm having trouble finding them. My husband likes Claremore I think. I don't need a group that is strictly non religious based, I just don't want it to be the main focus, you know?

I found this

Claremore and Pryor Group. This group is open to any homeschooling families, regardless of religious beliefs or curriculum being taught. Contact Liz Huckleby by phone at (918)521-5975 or email at lizchick3737@yahoo.com. Facebook group page is: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/232829423408933?ap=1 .

At this website:

http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/supportgroups.html

Keep in mind T.H.E and OCHEC are Christian based groups and will not advertise or list nonchristian groups or Christian groups that accept diverse couples.

And Claremore has a pagan "group" so there's at least 2 other nonChristians who get together and ruffle the collective feathers of the Christian community.

Guess I'm way out of the loop. In my 8 years of HS'ing I've never heard of them.

*Facepalm* The OKHomeschool site is the one I meant to mention looking for groups.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...