Menu

Oklahoma

We were in CHEER for a while but switched back to FAITH. :) CHEER is a great group. Very well organized and wonderful Ladies Meetings. I still see a few of the ladies from the group since my girls belong to the Girl Scout group that was started through CHEER. It just wasn't the homeschool group for us anymore.

I prefer things that don't require joining committees and attending mandatory meetings.

You would be required to join a team but the meetings aren't mandatory.

BTW - How are Erin and her family doing?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I posted that I didn't want to join, I've come across a reason that I may join.

My dd (5) has started repeatedly saying that she wants to go to school. I think the culprit is all of the well meaning people that she talks the ear off of when we're out and about. Once they find out she's 5, they start asking about starting school next year. Going to kindergarten, etc... This happens over and over and over.

We do a few activities with mostly traditionally schooled kids. Dance, gymnastics, & BSF. I'm also talking with a friend about doing a once a month informal coop. Make crafts, cook something, valentine party, etc.. But, she also just has 2 kids.

I'm seriously thinking I should also join a homeschool group, so she can feel "normal."

Whadya think? If I don't *have* to go to meetings, we can skip them when we're feeling busy.

Also, I've read through their faith statement. I'm fine with most of it. We're Christians, go to a Baptist church, and attend Bible Study Fellowship. BUT, I would probably be called an "old earth creationist." When the statement of faith says that it's against "secular humanist beliefs" and includes evolution.....what does that mean? I don't feel the need to debate people about the different creation views, but I also will not lie to get into the group. Does that make sense?:confused:

Since I posted that I didn't want to join, I've come across a reason that I may join.

My dd (5) has started repeatedly saying that she wants to go to school. I think the culprit is all of the well meaning people that she talks the ear off of when we're out and about. Once they find out she's 5, they start asking about starting school next year. Going to kindergarten, etc... This happens over and over and over.

We do a few activities with mostly traditionally schooled kids. Dance, gymnastics, & BSF. I'm also talking with a friend about doing a once a month informal coop. Make crafts, cook something, valentine party, etc.. But, she also just has 2 kids.

I'm seriously thinking I should also join a homeschool group, so she can feel "normal."

Whadya think? If I don't *have* to go to meetings, we can skip them when we're feeling busy.

Also, I've read through their faith statement. I'm fine with most of it. We're Christians, go to a Baptist church, and attend Bible Study Fellowship. BUT, I would probably be called an "old earth creationist." When the statement of faith says that it's against "secular humanist beliefs" and includes evolution.....what does that mean? I don't feel the need to debate people about the different creation views, but I also will not lie to get into the group. Does that make sense?:confused:

As for good reasons to join a group....my children really like the social aspect of doing fieldtrips and group activities with other children occasionally.....I really like doing those with children of like-minded parents that usually have very similar expectations of their children.

As for "secular humanist beliefs"....I believe that that means that they don't believe that man evolved from monkey......"old earth" VS "new earth" creation is a debate among christian. I think that there seem to me an almost even number of the two. And there are those who choose not to try to fathom all the complexities of the scienctific evidence VS the bible. If you feel that creation is not the issue but that "old" VS "new" earth is - just ask if it is a problem. Then you can join with a clean conscience. I am glad that you hesitate to sign something you are not sure you agree with. Shows great moral fiber! I would give you a high-5 for that if we were not on a message board! LOL!! Seriously, I am going to look into it b/c I was considering CHEER myself and would have the same issue. I will let you know what I discover.

As for "secular humanist beliefs"....I believe that that means that they don't believe that man evolved from monkey......"old earth" VS "new earth" creation is a debate among christian. I think that there seem to me an almost even number of the two. And there are those who choose not to try to fathom all the complexities of the scienctific evidence VS the bible.

I've talked it over with dh and he thinks that joining a homeschool group is a good idea, so that dd can realize there are lots of of homeschoolers and she can feel more "normal." In reading through the membership requirements, you have to attend 2(???) meetings before you join. So, that will give me a chance to check it out and make sure that everything is "copacetic."

I miss homeschooling in Oklahoma. We were all born and raised there. We moved here to Nevada about 3 1/2 months ago for my husband's work. We were really spoiled there in Oklahoma. I just went to the convention here and it is nothing like back home. Homeschool sports are pretty much non-existant here. But there are other things that we are getting involved in and are looking for a home church. We found a good homeschooling group. It is small but there are good kids for mine to interact with.

If you might have a mind to pray for some fellow Okies, please say one for us.

Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Blessings all

Hey Erica, have you considered Classical Conversations? There's a wonderful group in Tulsa that meets at Asbury (which wouldn't be far from you at all.) The kids spend a lot of time together so they're able to form real friendships. My girls and I are joining for 2008-09. They start up just after Labor Day.

FYI: There's a practicum in Tulsa July 23 - 25 for moms & their children. It's FREE for parents and the kids attend camp while their parents are learning classical teaching methods. The cost for each child is $30 and it runs from 9am - 4pm. Not bad, huh?!

Anyway, if you're looking for a summer boost and could use a few days of like-minded fellowship you might want to check it out!

Linda :)

Hey Erica, have you considered Classical Conversations? There's a wonderful group in Tulsa that meets at Asbury (which wouldn't be far from you at all.) The kids spend a lot of time together so they're able to form real friendships. My girls and I are joining for 2008-09. They start up just after Labor Day.

I guess my real question is what do people do with their younger dc while older ones are in CC? My youngest will be 3 in Sept. Do we just hang out around the building? Disappear?

Hmmm..Dd is doing an art camp at TCC from 9-10 that week. Which would only be a small amount of time missed on Wed and Thurs. I'll have to look into it a little more.

Anyone in the Tulsa area have any interesting fieldtrip ideas?

blue bell ice cream!

OSU entomology center (insect study! we went with a couple friends year before last and it was just fascinating and they don't get many request either;))

Safari Joes animal sactuary

What are you studying this year?? That's what spurs out out of the ordinary field trips...

Have you looked into CHEER? I hear that it is really well organized and offers speakers at monthly meetings, fieldtrips, & some co-ops if you choose to do those later in life. I think that I would join it if I didn't live so far away and gas wasn't $4/gal! LOL!! I have thought of joining just to go to the monthly meetings. It meets somewhere off of the creek nation near or in BA.

I live in broken arrow and am looking for nearby hs-ing moms too. I'm in a catholic group, but they really don't have anything for me or my kids. No activities.

I just want to meet some moms, share some coffee, let the kids play, maybe go to the zoo together. Nothing requiring statements of faith or committee commitments. Just good old fashioned mom homeschooling support, kwim? And I really can't afford to drive all over town in my 12 passenger van. Gas prices = Ouch.

I guess my real question is what do people do with their younger dc while older ones are in CC? My youngest will be 3 in Sept. Do we just hang out around the building? Disappear?

I have the same problem. a newborn arriving in dec, 2yo, 4 yo on up to 13 yo. And I'm a bit of a clingy mom, I am hesitant to just drop off my kids with people I don't really know.:001_huh:

OSU entomology center (insect study! we went with a couple friends year before last and it was just fascinating and they don't get many request either;))

Is this in the Tulsa area or Stillwater? What would you think about this as a field trip for a first grader and pre-K'er?

TIA!

Thanks Martha!

I am going to check out the entymology department first. Do you have any contact information on that?

Have any of you gone to the sheep farm in Claremore? It is really neat for all ages. The lady takes you through the sheep farm and teaches you all about the sheep and at the same time she correlates the sheeps needs with what is written in the 23rd Psalm. It is truly fascinating! I believe the farm is called Shepherd's Cross.

Is this in the Tulsa area or Stillwater? What would you think about this as a field trip for a first grader and pre-K'er?

TIA!

Stillwater. I would think a 1st grader and k'er would love it, but only if they are okay with real live bugs and wouldn't freak out. The lady there pulled out huge hand sized centipedes, those thumb sized cockroaches, spiders and LOTS more. All kiinds of really cool stuff. They talked about making anti-venom and the kids had a great time.

Stillwater. I would think a 1st grader and k'er would love it, but only if they are okay with real live bugs and wouldn't freak out. The lady there pulled out huge hand sized centipedes, those thumb sized cockroaches, spiders and LOTS more. All kiinds of really cool stuff. They talked about making anti-venom and the kids had a great time.

Awesome! Well, we're only 15 minutes from the OSU campus, so this would be perfect. I second Sabrina's question, who should I contact? I've looked online, but I'm not sure which is the appropriate contact information. Thanks for your help!

Hmmm..Dd is doing an art camp at TCC from 9-10 that week. Which would only be a small amount of time missed on Wed and Thurs. I'll have to look into it a little more.

In most groups one of two things happen--either there is childcare as an option or you keep your little ones with you while you sit in the class with your other children. For 6th grade and under the mom stays with their dc. If you have multiple dc in different rooms you can stay with the one who needs your attention the most or move around a little. The idea is mentoring for the moms as well as the tutoring for the dc.

HTH! Terrill

Just show up to the first meeting? The website says the 2nd Tuesday. So, starting in August?

I don't think I'm ready to commit to Classical Conversations. I think it makes more sense to do it when my younger dd is also ready for it. The year that they are 7 and 5, they will have aged out of going to BSF during the day and we can transition to Classical Conversations.

Martha--There is a group of homeschoolers that meet at Martin Library, which isn't far from North Broken Arrow. About 31st and Garnett, I think. What general area of BA are you in? I'm north.

The group is called Cornerstone. The only drawback, for me, was that they seemed to be more relaxed homeschoolers(based on reading their yahoo group postings.) I need encouragement on the path I've chosen. Otherwise, there are no committees or faith statements. You just show up to the meetings and sign up if you want to go to an activity that someone has organized. If you want to do certain a field trip, you organize it and advertise it to the group.

Thanks Martha!

I am going to check out the entymology department first. Do you have any contact information on that?

Have any of you gone to the sheep farm in Claremore? It is really neat for all ages. The lady takes you through the sheep farm and teaches you all about the sheep and at the same time she correlates the sheeps needs with what is written in the 23rd Psalm. It is truly fascinating! I believe the farm is called Shepherd's Cross.

yes, that's the dept. (and the correct spelling I think too. argh! where's my glasses and why can't my typing keep up with my thoughts?) I don't have the contact info since it's been about 2 years and a move since we went.

interesting... sheep...

I actually grew up in a zoo and around cattle, so I have to constantly remind myself that I need to actually take my children to such things, possibly even paying and driving out of my way for such a thing to see... I guess I just have to wrap my brain around the notion that sheep IS an attraction to see to most other people, including my own kids.:D

Just show up to the first meeting? The website says the 2nd Tuesday. So, starting in August?

Yup, that's it. There will be an information table when you go in and you'll just tell them you're a visitor. They'll give you an info pkt about the group, etc. Then you can come in and stay. Be prepared for a large group. If you're coming you can contact me and we can sit together! Cool.

Could you do any of the following days:

Wed-Fri July 30, 31, Aug 1

or the week of Auguest 4, 5, 6, 7, 8?

In the morning at a park not too far off of HW 169? PM me if you're interested, and we can figure out details. I do have a specific park in mind, with bathrooms, playground, duck pond, etc.... I can tell you where via PM.

Okie probably knows better as things have probably changed but when we joined, we were put in the New To CHEER team first until we got more familiar with the group. I stayed in that group and actually led it for a while so I didn't get experience with any others.

I might be interested in meeting up the first week of August (4-8). I think I know the park you speak of. LOL

Oh, I'm so bad about getting back to these threads:blushing:. I can do the 7th.

I've only been in CHEER for one year (and I don't really do anything but the once a month support mtg), and I joined one month before being automatically being put on the 'new to CHEER' team, so I was on the hospitality team. The meetings start at 7pm and usually go close to 9pm. It is an adult only mtg.

What time? I've had one request to do "early" to beat the heat.

Heat? What heat? I don't feel any heat. Oh. That's the AC.:001_smile:

:D Me neither!

7th is fine here too

9:00 or 9:30 would be nice. They can play before it gets horribly hot.

9 sounds good to me. Early enough to play/chat for a couple hours before we wilt in the rising heat.

ETA: It occurs to me that knowing the ages/grades of my kids might be helpful and it's not in my sig line!

David - 13.5 & 8th grade

Caleb - 12 & 7th grade

Jesse - 10 & 5th grade

Ethan - 8 & 4th grade (to his shock, he's watching me type and said he was in 3rd grade and I said nope - 4th!)

Kathryn - 7 & somewhere between 1st and 2nd

Aaron - 6 in Sept. - K

Tobias - 4 and prek

Bridget - 2 and strictly in osmosis learnering mode

baby ? due in December

Hey. I am surprised that there isn't anyone from Enid on here. :)

We are a military family living in Enid---originally from WA. Just wanted to say Hello to all of the other OK homeschoolers.

---Terrill

We are a former military family (although they do say "Once a marine...always a marine!) but I know what you mean. Homeschooling seemed very popular in the military and I would think that more moms would be on from a base town. Maybe you will have to advertise around the base. You know.....Needed: Classical Home Educators to share ideas on a message board. :001_smile: It seems hard to find area homeschoolers in OK - the groups are so fragmented. In Pensacola we had pretty much just on group with smaller cell groups that were divided by location or area of interest. I am still looking for other like-minded hs families in the Sapulpa area. If there are any of you out there please let me know....

What time? I've had one request to do "early" to beat the heat.

Heat? What heat? I don't feel any heat. Oh. That's the AC.:001_smile:

I would like to meet up with you guys but i believe that one of my dc has dance camp that week. Please PM me the park location. We have not been to Tulsa since gas prices went up. We could make it apark in the morning and an errand afternoon. I will be there if I can - if not - maybe next time. I also do not have my dc in my signature line (I will have to experiment with that). I have only two (unusual in hsing I know!) ds - Noah (12yrs) & 7th-ish grade....dd - Audrey-Grace (9yrs) & 3rd-ish grade.

Yup, that's it. There will be an information table when you go in and you'll just tell them you're a visitor. They'll give you an info pkt about the group, etc. Then you can come in and stay. Be prepared for a large group. If you're coming you can contact me and we can sit together! Cool.

Stacey (who has posted on this thread) and I and another friend from the Glenpool area are going to be at the CHEER meeting also. We will look for you guys. We planned on going last year and never made it.

We are a former military family (although they do say "Once a marine...always a marine!) but I know what you mean. Homeschooling seemed very popular in the military and I would think that more moms would be on from a base town. Maybe you will have to advertise around the base. You know.....Needed: Classical Home Educators to share ideas on a message board. :001_smile: It seems hard to find area homeschoolers in OK - the groups are so fragmented. In Pensacola we had pretty much just on group with smaller cell groups that were divided by location or area of interest. I am still looking for other like-minded hs families in the Sapulpa area. If there are any of you out there please let me know....

There are lots of homeschoolers in Enid they just aren't on here. :)

We are in the AF but we were stationed in Pensacola a number of years ago. I had an 18 mo and 6 mo when we left so I didn't know there were homeschoolers there.

I hope you find some fellow homeschoolers out near you....

August 7 at 9:00.

Let's meet at the covered gazebo that is back by the playground area. I'll tape a sign to the table, so that you don't have to evaluate every group that you see.

If anyone else is interested in coming, please do! Send me(or anyone else that's expressed interest) a PM and we'll tell you the location.

We start school tomorrow and I've already changed my security features (and instructed my dh that he will be changing the password to complete the lock-out), so I will hopefully be on here MUCH less....after tonight.:lol:

It might take me a few days to reply to a PM, but I think we've settled all of the major things for our gathering.

I'm looking forward to it.

At that time there shouldn't be many there at all. We were there to play last week at 8:30am (after I dropped my dh off at work) and we were the only ones there. Even at 9am we were still the only ones there. No one came to play until 9:30.

Awesome! I tried going there a couple times last summer and oh man was it just PACKED with 3 daycare/preschool buses full of kids and maybe 4 adults to not watch them. :willy_nilly: Even my kids, who are very much the "more the merrier" attitude were freaked out and ready to just go home.

Hey would you ladies mind if I brought a friend? She does not know anythign about WTM, but she's real nice and is planning on joining Cheer in August. She might even be able to talk me into it too.;)

I want to come too!! :)

Will someone in the "know" please pm or email me the details. I have 2 dd's (5 & almost 8) and we'd love to come out and meet everyone. We live in Owasso, but I grew up in Tulsa so I know my way around.

Hey Sabrina... there's a new Classical Conversations group starting in Enid this September. We had a practicum in Tulsa last week and there were several Enid families (mostly military). They were enthusiastic about classical education and seemed like a great group of people. I can put you in contact w/ the Enid director and even if CC is not something you're interested in, maybe you could meet some of the members in the group for playdates and support.

Thanks guys!

~Linda

Hey Sabrina... there's a new Classical Conversations group starting in Enid this September. We had a practicum in Tulsa last week and there were several Enid families (mostly military). They were enthusiastic about classical education and seemed like a great group of people. I can put you in contact w/ the Enid director and even if CC is not something you're interested in, maybe you could meet some of the members in the group for playdates and support.

Linda,

Momof3gifts lives in Enid. I live in Sapulpa. It is really hard to keep people straight on this board. We can't put names with faces. But if you hear of a classical conversations group starting in Sapulpa.......LOL!

It has been really nice to "meet" all of you guys!

Well, I was all hyped and ready to go to park this morning to meet some new people.

I was even going to be about 20 minutes early.

Then this stupid truck pulling a flatbed trailer acted stupid and dumped part of its stupid load across lanes into traffic.

And wouldn't you know that the only decorator concrete brick to land on my side of the road landed right under my front left tire and busted it.

I had to pull right into the southcrest hospital diagnostic parking lot and call dh to come change the flat.

No worries though because thanks to my gung-ho attitude, we had plenty of time to change a flat and still get to park.

Then Dh came and even with his drills couldn't get the caps off.

So he dropped the oldest 4 home with his little pontiac sunfire while I waited with the other 4 for him to come back and shuttle us home too.

Now he's calling AAA to come fix the flat, the LAST thing any man wants to do. 1 because no man likes to admit he can't fix a flat tire and 2 we really cannot afford to pay for it. (We didn't have a membership, but do now because it was cheaper to get a membership than pay for a single trip out.) All rather humbling to him and THAT has put him in a rather yucky mood.

So I hope you all made it and had a great time and I hope to be invited if you gather again. It's 9:30, and AAA says they should have it done in less than an hour, but then dh has to shuttle us again and all that, so it's pretty much a wash out for us this time around.

So disappointed.:(