Menu

Oklahoma

Martha ~ Were you the one with the question about your son comparing your family to others? :)

yes, that was me.:blushing:

I had to cut out early at about 8:15 because the baby was starting to get really fussy. I think my question came out wrong and I was too distracted by baby to get any clearer. oh well. They reminded me of several things that I know I need to do and actually did a lot before the baby came. I guess I just need to get back into our regular routine.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martha ~ I was sitting across from you to your right. Brown shirt with pink/blue/yellow dots. Anyway...yeah...it seemed that several of the questions asked weren't understood and answered well.

I'm not sure what *I* wore yesterday! LOL Wish I'd known, I would have at least said Hi!:)

I think it was mostly an issue with the speakers or something. they usually have microphones and such. I could barely hear them, so I figure they must have had the same problem.

• 1 month later...
Norwegian Blue--I remember you. Hi!

Heather, I wasn't able to be at the CHEER meeting. I'm traveling with my hubby on one of his business trips. Are you going to join? Are they having a meeting in May?

Hey, I am a member of CHEER. It is a great group, you should really consider it.

Hi Ladies,

I am so happy I found this thread! We moved to the Tulsa area last summer and we have decided to homeschool our daughter. I attended the Classical Conversation info meeting in Tulsa back in February (I think) and I am planning on joining the group in Owasso.

This will be our first year to homeschool and I am really starting to get cold feet:001_unsure: Today was her last day at a MDO program and I feel so out of the loop as all the other kids will go to preschool this fall. Would love to meet other homeschoolers!

Hi Ladies,

I am so happy I found this thread! We moved to the Tulsa area last summer and we have decided to homeschool our daughter. I attended the Classical Conversation info meeting in Tulsa back in February (I think) and I am planning on joining the group in Owasso.

This will be our first year to homeschool and I am really starting to get cold feet:001_unsure: Today was her last day at a MDO program and I feel so out of the loop as all the other kids will go to preschool this fall. Would love to meet other homeschoolers!

Welcome to Tulsa and the group. Hope you find lots of encouragement and support for you schooling!

• 2 weeks later...

We tried CHEER last year and I'm opting not to re-join. It's a great group, no complaints. It's just not for me. I found myself dreading the committee meetings and the moms meetings. Our evenings are somewhat busy and I like to protect our free evenings.

So..

I've looked up internet stuff on some other groups, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with any others?

I'm considering the Cornerstone group that meets that Martin library. Seems much less structured. I'm looking for activities that are available, but not required. Park days and pumpkin patches. I want to avoid night meetings and committee requirements.

The introvert in me is wanting to avoid having to go to multiple first meetings. :tongue_smilie:

Hi Ladies,

I am so happy I found this thread! We moved to the Tulsa area last summer and we have decided to homeschool our daughter.

Welcome! I'm out in BA!

I've looked up internet stuff on some other groups, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with any others?

I'm considering the Cornerstone group that meets that Martin library. Seems much less structured. I'm looking for activities that are available, but not required. Park days and pumpkin patches. I want to avoid night meetings and committee requirements.

TAHS? they are free and they meet for a playdate every Friday from 1 - 3 at the rec ctr in BA. very relaxed, they do themes on fridays to make it fun, some field trips but nothing is required at all. a lot of them are in or used to be in cornerstone and decided they needed something more relaxed. And they are a very relaxed bunch of gals (said in a totally nice way). It's a come when you can, don't sweat it when you can't kind of group. I've only been to one Friday, so I can't say more than that they seem like a nice bunch so far.

TAHS? they are free and they meet for a playdate every Friday from 1 - 3 at the rec ctr in BA. very relaxed, they do themes on fridays to make it fun, some field trips but nothing is required at all. a lot of them are in or used to be in cornerstone and decided they needed something more relaxed. And they are a very relaxed bunch of gals (said in a totally nice way). It's a come when you can, don't sweat it when you can't kind of group. I've only been to one Friday, so I can't say more than that they seem like a nice bunch so far.

That would be convenient for us.

And what does TAHS stand for? Tulsa Area Home School.....?????

Do you just show up?

Yes, it's Tulsa Area Homeschoolers. There is a yahoo group that I joined recently but I haven't made it to a Friday meeting since we just finished up our school year last week. Sounds like a fun bunch, though!

Sorry I never meet you through CHEER--there were so many new members this year! But maybe we'll meet at a TAHS meeting this summer.

Do you just show up?

Do you just show up?

yep. here's a link to the yahoo loop

I've been on the loop for a month or so and been to 1 Friday.

Seem like a friendly comfy bunch of ladies so far. And best of all is I don't have to leave my kids at home to meet them - a HUGE pain in most groups.

I've already signed up for CHEER next year. I want the highschool connections for my older boys. Though we'll have to see if that actually happens.

Why oh why are most of the OK WTMers in Tulsa? Doncha wanna come to OKC?

...someone else that doesn't live in Tulsa? :-)

I live about 20 minutes outside of OKC. We go in, often, for activities, field trips...and dinner. :D (Eating out is my passion, lol.)

1. We much prefer White Water to Big Splash

2. I want to see the dinosaur exhibit at your zoo (I hope it's not gone yet??)

3. I want to go to the science museum

Ok....maybe that would have to be a LONG weekend.:)

yep. go there for the zoo and museums about once or twice a year!

I got signed up for the TAHS yahoo group.

1. We much prefer White Water to Big Splash

2. I want to see the dinosaur exhibit at your zoo (I hope it's not gone yet??)

3. I want to go to the science museum

Ok....maybe that would have to be a LONG weekend.:)

nope! we do it!

go in the morning (eat bagels on the way!) straight to the zoo.

have lunch

go to the museum ('cause now they are too tuckered out to wrech havoc, well much anyways LOL)

have dinner

pass out at hotel (preferrably after a swim) or pass out on the way home.

sam noble is an awesome place!

oh and check out the national weather station across the road from it! way cool.:D

I got signed up for the TAHS yahoo group.

nifty! I'll look for you Friday? I plan to be there if my early morning root canal doesn't wipe me out for the day. ug.

I'll look for you Friday? I plan to be there if my early morning root canal doesn't wipe me out for the day. ug.

I'm in the process of making out our list. Air mattress, fold-out chairs, propane stove and all. We really rough it.:tongue_smilie:

I am going to try to make it to the group next week.

Sorry about the root canal. I hope you have a quick recovery.

Why oh why are most of the OK WTMers in Tulsa? Doncha wanna come to OKC?

We're down there every few months. My mom lives in The Village. We actually went to the Science Museum on Memorial Day weekend... the zoo was packed, but the museum was dead! I'm not a crowd person, so that made me soooo happy. We have been to the zoo and Myriad Gardens, and my dad and stepmom want to "kidnap" my kids and take them to Frontier City.

Does anyone else ever make it to the Jasmine Moran Children's Museum in Seminole? I love that place, and they're updating it!

We finally went a couple of months ago. It was raining buckets and we didn't get to go outside. My oldest said she preferred Leonardos in Enid but my youngest loved it.

We should do a WTM field trip to one of those! Classical creative play!

Is the rivalry still going on between Tulsa and OKC? When I was growing up in NC, Raleigh and Charlotte were constantly trying to outdo each other.

I suppose so.

but I guess that presumes tht one or the other can compete, whereas I'm sure that one or the other says the other is not competition at all.;):D

Personally, I really like OKC.

Tulsa drives me batty with the irrational addiction to the 2 black holes: downtown and woodland hills area. *shudder* I can't stand either of those areas.

We finally went a couple of months ago. It was raining buckets and we didn't get to go outside. My oldest said she preferred Leonardos in Enid but my youngest loved it.

We should do a WTM field trip to one of those! Classical creative play!

That would be awesome... my kids have never been to the one in Enid but I'd like to go.

We made it to Jasmine Moran a few weeks ago and the kids loved it (even being run down). We saw the one in Enid online and it looks like fun. I am glad to hear from 'real people' that it is a good one. We will head there soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WiseGal ~ Yeah, I know it's a great group. We've been members of it before. I was the leader for the New to CHEER team for a while.

Erica ~ The only other group I've been a part of is FAITH. And we won't be re-joining in the Fall. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. I'd really like to belong to a great HS group but so far my experience has been less than ideal.

I have heard of TAHS (one of our clients is a member of that group if I remember correctly). Maybe they will have something we can visit sometime. I work on Fridays so I wouldn't be able to do that little playgroup. Maybe I'll check out the yahoogroup.

Does anyone else ever make it to the Jasmine Moran Children's Museum in Seminole? I love that place, and they're updating it!

A friend of mine has taken her kids there. Seems like a really fun place!

It's just so much lower key. No committee meetings, etc... Their meetings consist of the moms sitting around and talking while the kids play, which is what the kids and I both need. We do plenty of structured activities, so it's nice for the kids to just be able to play with the same group of kids on a consistent basis.

Now, next week...their meeting is on Thursday because of the 4th. So, it might be a good day for you to try it out and make it easier to get involved in some of the field trips (or is it just me that feels odd going when I know NO ONE?). They're doing a cookout. You can get on the email list and at least you'll know about their activities.

I got approved on the yahoogroup a little while ago. I'm just now getting back over there to look through the message history.

I see one other lady on the list that I know. It's nice to see that there are some like-minded ladies in the group. :)

We may try to go on Thursday. I have two clients due any day now so if I'm not there, I'm either asleep recovering or at a birth. :)

It's just so much lower key. No committee meetings, etc... Their meetings consist of the moms sitting around and talking while the kids play, which is what the kids and I both need. We do plenty of structured activities, so it's nice for the kids to just be able to play with the same group of kids on a consistent basis.

Now, next week...their meeting is on Thursday because of the 4th. So, it might be a good day for you to try it out and make it easier to get involved in some of the field trips (or is it just me that feels odd going when I know NO ONE?). They're doing a cookout. You can get on the email list and at least you'll know about their activities.

I guess I've missed meeting you so far - are you going to be there on Thursday? I am really loving TAHS so far, too. :)

I would love to do a trip to Leonardo's in Enid. Anyone up for going as a group and meeting there? The outside equipment will be hot.

I'd love to go if we can. Just let me know when you're thinking and I'll see if we can make it. The only day in the next two weeks that I *know* I can't go is the 9th. DD has a violin lesson that afternoon.

I guess I've missed meeting you so far - are you going to be there on Thursday? I am really loving TAHS so far, too.

dh took Thursday off to get a 4 day weekend and we might go do something. But, if he ends up doing some house repairs.....we just might sneak off to the meeting.:D We went last week and then 3 weeks ago(not the flat stanley week).

would love to do a trip to Leonardo's in Enid. Anyone up for going as a group and meeting there? The outside equipment will be hot.

Sounds like fun!

Anyone in the Muskogeee area? New to homeschooling and VERY excited about The Well Trained Mind! I am so thankful to have a guidebook to classical education. I have ordered in Story of the world, Writing With Ease and First Language Lessons after reading WTM. We will also be using Saxon Math, Shurley English, Handwriting Without Tears, Science, Latin and anything else I can fit into the schedule. Would love to find some like minded folks in our area.

Hey There

I was homeschooled in the Tulsa area from '83-'86. Anyone on here homeschooled in the Tulsa area, too?

Just curious:-)

Carrie

I was from '85-'90 (5th through 10th grades). I lived in BA back then.

I may or may not be at the TAHS thing tomorrow. I was at a birth all day yesterday and got home at 1:30am. I didn't get a lot done today since I was running on not much sleep. Which means that I got behind here at home. Need to catch up on laundry, some school work, cleaning...ya know, all the fun stuff. I'll have to see how my morning goes.

Well, I wound up missing after all... DS woke up this morning in a horrid mood and DD wasn't much better. They're both napping now - odd for my kids. I think DS is starting a growth spurt, and I don't know what's up with DD. In any case, I was bummed!

• 2 weeks later...
...someone else that doesn't live in Tulsa? :-)

I live about 20 minutes outside of OKC. We go in, often, for activities, field trips...and dinner. :D (Eating out is my passion, lol.)

I just found this thread so I thought that I'd chime in. I also live about 20 minutes outside of OKC. We go into OKC, Norman or Moore often. We eat dinner out every Friday, usually in Moore, and we watch movies at Warren often.

Any other OKC area homeschoolers out there?

I just found this thread so I thought that I'd chime in. I also live about 20 minutes outside of OKC. We go into OKC, Norman or Moore often. We eat dinner out every Friday, usually in Moore, and we watch movies at Warren often.

Any other OKC area homeschoolers out there?

A kindred spirit. :D

I just watched a movie at the Warren in the balcony for the first time, a couple of weeks ago (Public Enemies). It's awesome!

Do you guys go to the OKC zoo often? Once it cools down, we should have a meet up.