Menu

Oklahoma

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and would actually prefer afternoons too. I completely have to guard our mornings or no schooling gets done!

I could do Thursday the 28th at about 1:00 or 1L30-ish? Anyone else prefer that date/time?

Also, I've bit the bullet and decided to attend the CHEER group mom's meeting this Tuesday at 7pm. Anyone else going to be there? I figure it can't hurt to test the waters and see if it's interesting - right?:)

I went, I enjoyed it, I bought the t-shirt.:D

I actually did find it quite refreshing to be around so many homeschoolers. I did get signed up for a team and I did order a t-shirt for the previously mentioned team. Despite the fact that I can't even really join until the next meeting.:tongue_smilie:

I saw Okie there. She stole my seat.:001_smile: I looked for Martha, but since we've never met........I only had guesses. And I didn't feel like going up to person after person, especially since I didn't know if Martha was a "real" name. (btw--do you have dark hair that was pulled up in a french twist kind of thing? If not, forget I ask.)

So, the 28th wouldn't work for me. Go ahead with that date, if it works for everybody else.

I can do T or Th's, but I can't get there till about 3:30 due to swimming (T is much better).

I'm open to other dates if that'll work better for others? Suggestions?

I looked for Martha, but since we've never met........I only had guesses. And I didn't feel like going up to person after person, especially since I didn't know if Martha was a "real" name. (btw--do you have dark hair that was pulled up in a french twist kind of thing? If not, forget I ask.)

Nope, dirty blond.:)

I went with a couple friends. Wow - it was a fully packed house wasn't it? It was interesting. They seemed pretty nice and organized. I don't know if it's for me though. I'm just looking for a bunch of hs-ers who want to share some coffee and conversation, maybe the occassional field trip. I don't need or want workshops and team committments or the whole beaucratic system thing. I might reconsider though because my older 2 boys really want to meet some other hs-ers their age and so far there aren't any around. Cheer is supposed to have a VERY large middle and high school group.

So I'm still undecided.

It gives my youngest time to get a nap in.

And Tuesdays would be good. They have dance that evening, so I won't have to worry about cooking dinner and we'll already be out of the house.

Can anyone do it in the next few weeks? It's already cooling off, so that it should be bearable.

Martha, I totally understand about the commitment thing with CHEER. Since there is only 1 meeting a month and I got on a team that I actually wanted to be on and that I don't THINK will be that time consuming, I think it will be ok.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm completely new to this board and am actually not going to be starting homeschool till fall, but I did want to say hi to everyone and say that I'm also in the Tulsa area. I'm going to be a part of the Cornerstone coop(also prefer a network without a religious base) and can't wait to meet other moms!

• 2 weeks later...

Krisp...which church do you belong to? I know Victory has a large hs group, but wasn't aware of any others. Although, I'm sure many do now that I think about it.

We are in Classical Conversations -- meeting at Asbury in Tulsa. It's a wonderful group, but full. So, I'm going to direct a new CC community in Owasso next year. Anyway, the Tulsa group is awesome for providing support in the classical method.

To everyone: What day of the week does your co-op meet?

Snicklefritz.... have you ever heard anything from the MAFA woman? I haven't so I'm assuming she isn't going to start the program just yet. Ah well...

Linda,

We go to Christ Presbyterian. Our homeschool group isn't big -- usually less than 10 at the meetings, probably 20 or so families on the list A couple of the families in our group attend Classical Conversations. We went to one of the visitor days in the spring (and my dd LOVED it), but since it's about 30 miles from our house, I decided that the gas would add up WAY too quickly (along with all of the other fees and such). Now if they could just schedule it on Wednesday, when we already come to town for awana.... ;)

Snicklefritz.... have you ever heard anything from the MAFA woman? I haven't so I'm assuming she isn't going to start the program just yet. Ah well...

If we do Classical Conversations, I don't know that I would have had time for the MAFA, anyway.

I am going to the Classical Conversations info meeting next week, so I'm excited about that. Open house is Feb 20 and I'm going to try to make that, too.

Just in case you're interested... the Tulsa Asbury CC group is FULL. However, 3 of us who are currently in the group are going to direct additional campuses for next year. This will open up several slots in the Asbury group (which is awesome!)

I don't know where you live, but I'm going to direct a campus in Owasso (not sure of the day we'll meet yet.)

There will be a campus in Broken Arrow and another one in the SW Tulsa area. I don't think those directors have established a date yet either, but if you'd like the email address of the directors, just let me know.

Hi Linda in Owasso!

We met at an info meeting a couple of years ago when your Asbury group was beginning. I loved CC but didn't want to make the hour drive every week. I am excited however to Direct a new group we will be starting this fall in Bville! I am sure I will be seeing you at training! We are excited. It is an awesome program! A group of us also plan to come to the Open House Feb. 20 to check it out.

This is actually my first post on WTM boards. I usually just read. It is so neat to see so many Okies on here!

Laura

I remember you! I just heard there was going to be a new group in B-ville next year and wondered who the director might be... now I know! I'm excited for you and I'm looking forward to working with such a great group of directors!

Feel free to email me if you have any questions before the open house at lschmeeckle @ cox.net (no spaces).

Otherwise, I'll see you there! I'm glad you guys are coming to watch the program in action because I think our Asbury group is amazing -- especially considering it's only the 2nd year!

I definately wrote down your email because I am sure I will be emailing you soon!! Especially since you will be the closest Director to me! I have emailed Cyndi a few times and she has been MORE than helpful! Right now, I have many questions that I wrote down for when Jennifer comes to do our Info meeting. Are you having one in Owasso? It is great to know that I, as a Director, will have a great support group as well!

The Masters Academy of Fine Arts.

Just got the email. The only problem is that it will conflict with our homeschool choir, which dd loves. BUT, the MAFA would be more inclusive. It would hit music AND art and, possibly, choir in the morning. The other thing is that I had decided to do Classical Conversations and I don't think I would do both. That would be 2 days in a row that were pretty much gone. But, they both include so much....

I need to have a good talk with dh and sit down and think about our goals for our homeschool.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I had never heard of MAFA (probably wouldn't since I am in Bville) so I went to their website to check it out. It looks like a very good program. Both MAFA and CC have different focuses so it really depends on what areas you would need the most support in.

I know the stress though....I don't like it when I have TOO many good choices! :001_smile: Are you still going to the CC Open House Feb. 20th? It would be neat to meet those that I know through the WTM boards!

Both MAFA and CC have different focuses so it really depends on what areas you would need the most support in.

I know the stress though....I don't like it when I have TOO many good choices! Are you still going to the CC Open House Feb. 20th? It would be neat to meet those that I know through the WTM boards!

The thing is--dh really wants me to be the one "teaching" the majority of the content. He's not so sure about CC, because it eventually does teach so much. I figure that I've got some time before that AND I have less confidence in myself. I'm a math and science person and I have a degree in those areas. I feel very comfortable teaching those subjects. I'm less confident teaching writing, English, Latin, etc... which seems like a strength of CC in the upper levels. I would have an easier time convincing him, if they didn't also kind of take over teaching the math.

BUT, I also want the kiddos to have a well-rounded art experience. And MAFA definitely seems like it would provide that. And dh would be completely on board with me delegating that part of their education out to others.

and I wholeheartedly agree!! My husband is the big math and science guy at our home and he teaches those subjects to the kids. He mentioned the exact same thing!! He wants to continue teaching them math at home. Did you know you can choose to opt out of different subjects in the Challenge courses? You could just enroll your children in the debate, rhetoric, exposition and research classes and not the math class. You will not have to pay full price either. I will be offering a "study hall" classroom where students can go to do homework during the class where they opt out of.

Someone else more experienced may be able to explain it better on here but from what I have heard, CC doesn't want to take the responsibility of teaching off from you, they just want to support you providing accountability. That is what I LOVE about it! I am still their primary teacher the other four days of the week helping them with their work. I wouldn't be doing CC if that role was taken from me.

HTH! :)

We just move to Grove, on Grand Lake and an hour northeast of Tulsa. How can I find out about MAFA? And where did you see that there is a CC meeting this month? On the web link, the first Tulsa meeting that I could find was on March 22, I think. Any info on activities that are beginning now would be much appreciated! We left all our friends in Little Rock. I have three boys, grades 6, 4 and K. We can't wait to meet new faces!

For CC, you can go on their website at www.classicalconversations.com and click on Oklahoma and then click on "view events" under Oklahoma calendar. They also have informational meetings on April 6th and May 9th at the Hardesty Library there in Tulsa. There are two other new CC classes starting up in Bartlesville and Owasso in the fall that will have info meetings happening soon but no dates set yet.

WHAT IS MASTER’S ACADEMY?

If you haven’t heard about Master’s Academy of Fine Arts, come and join the band-wagon with many others who are welcoming this exciting home school arts program to the Tulsa area. Master’s Academy has been in existence since 1991 and currently has 14 schools running in the USA. Students enjoy learning about art, drama, music and history in a specific time period, starting with Ancient Civilization taught with a Biblical foundation.

Each Master Academy Core class is instructed by a professional skilled and educated staff member, and is designed to teach each individual student to have a love for learning and developing skills in the arts. Master Institute classes are options or electives offered before and after the core program which may include dance, private or group music lessons, karate, art club, choir and many more. All classes meet ONE day a week in ONE location. Read on!

WHEN AND WHERE WILL MASTER’S ACADEMY MEET?

Current plans are being made to meet on Thursdays with the MAFA core program starting at 12:30 pm until 4:00 pm. Master Institute classes will be offered in the morning tentatively starting at 9:00 am. Plans are in the process of securing a location at the Green Country Event Center on 31st and Garnet. Classes will tentatively begin August 13th, 2009 and continue, with breaks for about 24 weeks, or until early spring.

WHAT IS THE COST AND HOW CAN YOU REGISTER?

MAFA is geared with you in mind for financial flexibility and greater choices. The cost of Master’s Academy of Fine Arts core program is $625 per year per student, with discounts given when more than one sibling is enrolled. A one-time registration fee ($150), supply fee ($50) and insurance fee ($30) will apply for each student registered.

Online registration will be available March 1st at http://www.MAFA.net.'>http://www.MAFA.net.'>http://www.MAFA.net.'>http://www.MAFA.net. BUT, if you register prior to March 1st you will save $70. If you register between March 1 and May 1, you will save $50 on registration. After May 1, registration fee will be $150. To register early and have a form emailed or mailed to you, please contact the Tulsa Director, Theresa Roman, at (MAFAofTulsa at yahoo dot com)or go to http://www.MAFA.net and download the form and mail it in. Savings is good!

Edited by snickelfritz

• 1 month later...

Hello again ladies :)

I haven't had much time to post much on the WTM boards. I remembered a few of you were in CHEER. :) Lately I've been toying with the idea of rejoining and will be at the April meeting. I know a few people from the first time we were in the group but I'd love to meet those of you from here. :)

Hello again ladies :)

I haven't had much time to post much on the WTM boards. I remembered a few of you were in CHEER. :) Lately I've been toying with the idea of rejoining and will be at the April meeting. I know a few people from the first time we were in the group but I'd love to meet those of you from here. :)

I'll be there with baby in tow. The last meeting was great! I really haven't had a chance to get my oldesr boys as invovled as I'd like (purely MY fault and not the groups), but I must admit the moms meetings have been very uplifting and encouraging, which I really need right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you know if there is an active NCFCA (National Christian Forensics & Communications Assocatian) in Oklahoma?? www.ncfca.org. I have emailed them for more information and haven't heard anything yet. If not NCFCA, are you aware of any other Speech and Debate teams for homeschoolers in the Tulsa area?? We will be starting up Classical Conversations in Bartlesville which will have Speech and Debate but there are some students transferring from our local Classical Christian school to Classical Conversations that were used to Speech and Debate being a very competitive full year curriculum that they traveled to tournaments, etc.... NCFCA is like that for homeschoolers. Just curious.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Okies!

I am Leslie, mom to three - 9 and 6 year old sons and a 4 year old daughter. This is our second year hsing and we are loving it. I went to a CC meeting last weekend in Owasso (nod to Linda!) and am very interested in this so went looking online for some support/info and found this board. We have been very mix and match the last two years - doing different publishers, grades, etc, etc for each kiddo so I am a little nervous to commit to CC...but like what I see so far!

It is cool to see so many close by on here and I look forward to getting to know more of you :)

I was at the CHEER meeting but didn't recognize anyone from the boards. Had a nice time. Saw several that I knew from the last time we were in the group, saw one lady whose dh went to college with mine, and three ladies who are in the group we are currently members of.

Martha ~ Were you the one with the question about your son comparing your family to others? :)

Hi!

I'm Ann and I'm new here. I actually joined in November and am just now posting. I know snickelfritz from another board (if you remember me I am Norwegian Blue).

We are in Edmond. I notice most of you are in the Tulsa area. Anyone else in my neck of the woods?

Ann