Menu

Adding to my post requirements

Hello, my name is Sabrina and I am a post-loser. Many (all) of you do not know me, as I do not post. But I will, if I must, to sell my school items. Otherwise, my house will explode. Please expect more, insignificant, meaningless messages like this one. I am sorry, in advance. I do use Peace Hill Press materials, and have never voiced any opinions against them. Perhaps selling on here could be linked that!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Amber, and I too, am a post-loser. I mostly lurk and post only when I feel I can add something, which isn't often as I just started homeschooling a few months ago. I am going to be very busy the next few days trying to meet my new requirement. I do understand why they are doing this. Some of the posts lately on the FS board seem to be dealers. Well, one post down .... 31 more to go!

-Amber

It is a pleasure to meet you, Sabrina and Amber :001_smile:

How many children do you have and what are their ages/grades?

How long have you been homeschooling?

What made you decide to start homeschooling?

What hobbies, crafts, music or sports do you enjoy?

What do you and your family do for fun?

Feel free to devote a seperate post to each of these questions ;)

Hi, Cindy. I have five kids, ages 16, 10, 8, 6,and 4. I have homeschooled since the oldest was 8. He is my guinea pig, made all my mistakes on him and now all the others are benefitting. I believe this is post #4 for me, so excuse me while I wrap it up and open another reply.

Sabrina

I have posted before , but never truly introduced myself. Your post gives me a good place to start. I have 4 sons ages 13,9, and 6 year old twins. I homeschool the three youngest. My oldest is deaf and attends a d/hh program in the local schools. I have been homeschooling my 9 year old since the beginning of this school year. He had a VERY bad year at ps last year. It is a long story, but happily since we brought him home he is back to his old self and LOVES learning again. Once I got rolling with the third grader, I pulled the twins out of kindergarten and have never looked back.

-Amber

Okay, you guys will have to excuse me of my ignorance...but I see FS posts (right now) that say the person only has "X" amount of posts (<50). Am I looking at the wrong thing. Someone please clarify...

I believe it is because they posted before this rule was established.

I didn't know you needed 50 to sell something. Wow. See, I have hundreds and hundreds of posts from the old board. That stinks that we start over.

And I see SWB posted today about reputation. I'm giving it a shot, but I can see the potential of it being a middle school mentality. Of course SWB has like a million reputation points. LOL Would anyone give her negative and sign their name to it? Not that there is a reason to, but I guess my point is that if you like or admire someone it doesn't matter what you post like in SWB case. But take someone that has different views that most of us here, they might be stuck at one square forever because no one agrees with them.

I just broke my rule. I told myself I would not get wrapped up or care about reputation on this board. :chillpill: Taking a chill pill, and getting back to reality - seven children. :D

And lest you think I am a flake, let me redeem myself (or at least attempt to do so). Yesterday, upon returning from vacation with my children, on Interstate 80, I noticed the State powers-that-be have painted huge white dots on the road, with a big sign that warns drivers to keep at least a dot between themselves and the car in front of them. Now, it seems to me we are once again micro-managing people. Instead of people realizing the need to slow down, keep space between themselves and others, get off their cell phones and just drive, we need huge red dots painted with our tax dollars to remind us that driving requires our attention. I realize this board is subject to unscrupulous people - but post requirements are not going to keep anyone from getting taken. I have purchased items from some people that were not exactly what I expected, and I have had at least one person try to cheat me on what they supposedly paid me for. (Luckily, I was able to produce a Pay-pal receipt.) If this is making any sense at all, it just seems to me that, like the big white dots, this step toward safe-guarding is well-intentioned, but micro-management, and it will not have any effect on anyone who really wants to be dishonest, or mis-represent their goods. I really don't think I can ramble like this for 45 more posts. Thank you.

My favorite PHP product is the Well Trained Mind. Reading that is what convinced me I could do this.

As for my avatar, it is a bard. I don't know where the picture is originally from. I came across it when I was researching my husband's family tartan.

-Amber

And I see SWB posted today about reputation. I'm giving it a shot, but I can see the potential of it being a middle school mentality. Of course SWB has like a million reputation points. LOL Would anyone give her negative and sign their name to it?

Actually, I believe SWB is mature enough that if I had a legitimate reason to give her negative rep it would be accepted graciously. I also highly doubt she would ever give me a legitimate reason. ;)

And lest you think I am a flake, let me redeem myself (or at least attempt to do so). Yesterday, upon returning from vacation with my children, on Interstate 80, I noticed the State powers-that-be have painted huge white dots on the road, with a big sign that warns drivers to keep at least a dot between themselves and the car in front of them. Now, it seems to me we are once again micro-managing people. Instead of people realizing the need to slow down, keep space between themselves and others, get off their cell phones and just drive, we need huge red dots painted with our tax dollars to remind us that driving requires our attention. I realize this board is subject to unscrupulous people - but post requirements are not going to keep anyone from getting taken. I have purchased items from some people that were not exactly what I expected, and I have had at least one person try to cheat me on what they supposedly paid me for. (Luckily, I was able to produce a Pay-pal receipt.) If this is making any sense at all, it just seems to me that, like the big white dots, this step toward safe-guarding is well-intentioned, but micro-management, and it will not have any effect on anyone who really wants to be dishonest, or mis-represent their goods. I really don't think I can ramble like this for 45 more posts. Thank you.

Dots in the road - how humiliating!

And you are right that some people are going to be dishonest no matter what. However, I am more likely to purchase from you if we have at least conversed in the past, and I have some sense of who you are. It really isn't tough at all to rack up 50 posts.

Welcome, newbies! I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Really, it's not hard to get up to 50 posts. Just respond here and there when you read something that you like, or have a thought. You don't have to be profound, or hilarious, or sound super-educated. ;) Just chat, and pretty soon you'll have way more than 50 posts!

And anyway, you can't use fun smilies unless you post - just think what you're missing..

:grouphug:

:chillpill:

:party:

Sorry, I got carried away...

:auto:

IAnd I see SWB posted today about reputation. I'm giving it a shot, but I can see the potential of it being a middle school mentality.

I just broke my rule. I told myself I would not get wrapped up or care about reputation on this board. :chillpill: Taking a chill pill, and getting back to reality - seven children. :D

Please don't get wrapped up in it. The more time I spend on this board, the more I find the ladies here are all very mature, thoughtful and respectful of differences. I have not seen this "middle school mentality" that many people seem to worry about. The truth is it is starting to bug me that these comments continue to be made. Give us a chance, ok? ;)

I also highly doubt she would ever give me a legitimate reason. ;)

Agreed. But you obviously seem mature enough to not hand out neg. rep just because you disagree. (compared to a leg. reason, like someone being hateful, etc.)

Actually, I believe SWB is mature enough that if I had a legitimate reason to give her negative rep it would be accepted graciously. I also highly doubt she would ever give me a legitimate reason. ;)

Hello,

I see posting like doing karaoke. I was also a lurker. But once I started posting... it got easier and easier - now I can't stop myself from posting. :D

So don't get me started at karaoke. You'll have to pull the mic away from me. I am known to sing (not good) "All by myself" (all by myself) ask dh. hahahaha

Hello,

I see posting like doing karaoke. I was also a lurker. But once I started posting... it got easier and easier - now I can't stop myself from posting. :D

So don't get me started at karaoke. You'll have to pull the mic away from me. I am known to sing (not good) "All by myself" (all by myself) ask dh. hahahaha

Maybe that's my problem. Like Karaoke - I often post when I really shouldn't... :blushing:

another one down...

a 50 post requirement!!!

Oh no....do I have 50 posts? I was planning to sell some Singapore Science texts. I've already posted more than I ever did on the old boards. I am a super lurker.

Ack!

And now I have to go a read the stuff about reputation. I'm too much of a lurker to get reputation...unless I tick somebody off.

Interesting. Dots in the road. Hmmmmm. I guess they could be legit for people who have depth perception problems or folks that just can't judge distance very well. Also for people who forget to leave distance, they may see that dot and say, "d'oh! I need to leave more space between us."

"To dot, or not to dot. That, is the question."

Interesting. Dots in the road. Hmmmmm. I guess they could be legit for people who have depth perception problems or folks that just can't judge distance very well. Also for people who forget to leave distance, they may see that dot and say, "d'oh! I need to leave more space between us."

"To dot, or not to dot. That, is the question."

Basically it is yet another way of removing our need for conscious independant thought - just like every other silly law we come up with. We are very quickly becoming a nation of mindless, rule-following drones.

I have been on the welltrained mind boards for about 6 years. I never post just glean wisdom and suggestions. I am stopped by 1) no avatar, 2) no siggy 3) I respect so many people and their ideas that I don't know that I could contribute anything useful. It seems by the time I get to a thread that I am interested in, everything has been said. I guess that I need to just get over my own inadequacies and realize that everything doesnt have to be perfect before I post! So, I am of to start another thread to get up to 50!!!

Jenny

I have been on the welltrained mind boards for about 6 years. I never post just glean wisdom and suggestions. I am stopped by 1) no avatar, 2) no siggy 3) I respect so many people and their ideas that I don't know that I could contribute anything useful. It seems by the time I get to a thread that I am interested in, everything has been said. I guess that I need to just get over my own inadequacies and realize that everything doesnt have to be perfect before I post! So, I am of to start another thread to get up to 50!!!

Jenny

:iagree: I don't really think I've ever helped anyone :glare:. Maybe one day I will. For now, I just offer what I know. I am definitely no expert here. I'm still learning - I listen well :bigear:.

Yes, diagnosed issues would certainly prevent "some" people from legally driving- depending on the severity of the issue. BUT, there are many people with declining vision who refuse to give up their "rights" to operate a motor vehicle on public roads and freeways.

Sabrina, I think the intent behind the requirement is ensure that those who buy and sell here are part of the community. There really is no parallel between community building and dots on a highway.

Barb

I don't think you can leave SWB bad rep. (not that I've tried!) I believe she and the other moderators have the "beyond repute" phrase and can't be left good or bad rep.

I don't think you can leave SWB bad rep. (not that I've tried!) I believe she and the other moderators have the "beyond repute" phrase and can't be left good or bad rep.

Bwahaha....now you've made me want to go try. :w00t: Not that I've ever had a reason to leave Susan bad rep; I just need to know if it can be done. :D

High I'm Heather and I have 2 ds's ages 4 and 19 mo. I teach homeschool math. I can understand the reasoning behind this seeing how yesterday a check just bounced from someone who purchased from me and I've already sent the product. If she doesn't reply to my e-mail soon then I will be posting her name all over the homeschool forums I frequent so others don't get swindled. My hope is that it truly was an accident and that she will try to make it right. My dh says paypal only from now on.

Bwahaha....now you've made me want to go try. :w00t: Not that I've ever had a reason to leave Susan bad rep; I just need to know if it can be done. :D

Just do it and type in "testing" or something LOL. GO ahead, *YOU* try it and I'll wait here and let you reap the consequences LOL.

To Barb,

Perhaps dots and posting make no sense to you, but they do to me. Just like Heather had an unfortunate encounter with a bad check, dots are not going to keep a driver with poor vision, lack of consideration, or plain carelessness from failing to keep their distance. We are over-legislating everything in this country, instead of demanding personal responsibility - and then having repercussions for lack of it. I may understand the intentions of requiring posts - and of dots on the road - but I will still stand by my contention that it is an unfortunate requirement.

To Barb,

Perhaps dots and posting make no sense to you, but they do to me. Just like Heather had an unfortunate encounter with a bad check, dots are not going to keep a driver with poor vision, lack of consideration, or plain carelessness from failing to keep their distance. We are over-legislating everything in this country, instead of demanding personal responsibility - and then having repercussions for lack of it. I may understand the intentions of requiring posts - and of dots on the road - but I will still stand by my contention that it is an unfortunate requirement.

Personal responsibility- you are expected to follow up with transactions in an appropriate manner on the FS Swap board. If you don't, you'll receive neg. rep- AND people can post a thread letting others know that you sent a bad check and never sent actual funds AND never returned the item you've "Stolen". Rep doesn't take away "personal responsibility", but just adds a way that you are HELD responsible. It's ironic to argue that people are not experiencing repercussion, while at the same time complaining about a variety of the very repercussions you seem to want people to experience.

Further- repercussions may or may not make a difference in someone's behavior, no matter the behavior. A murderer may be arrested, but then murder someone in prison- so the imprisonment had no effect on whether the murderer murders or not. :tongue_smilie:

The "repercussions" of not keeping a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you may be a horrific accident where you rearend someone and kill a passenger in the backseat. Also, many people may not be AWARE of what a safe distance between vehicles is, and a visual cue on the road is a great way to "show" them- as opposed to re-testing the population of the state and campaigning with ads to try to "teach" them. This may save court costs due to accidents of that nature, insurance premiums "may" go down due to a decrease in accidents cause by travelling too close to the driver in front of you, etc. Or, it may not. I think the monetary expense is minimal, as is the time invested. The dots are painted and it's done- no postage needed, no airtime fees, etc.

ETA: I'm just thinking out loud, not trying to pick on you or anything. :D

J. Griff;

I know you are not picking on me. Actually, posts by you and Gothic Gyrl (hope I got that right) are among my favorites. I may not agree with you, but you always speak your mind in a fair way, and it is usually very enlightening, not to mention entertaining. Maybe my anecdote about the "Dots" is a bit off, but such are the limits of the internet and "conversations". My long-awaited vacation with my kids was cut short by my littlest one when he became very ill, I am tired and worried about him, and the dots ticked me off. When I think about the road congestion, and then the lane restrictions to paint said dots, I get ... AGHHHH!!! And then I post "For Sale" items and, POOF! There are suddenly restrictions. Saddens me.

Sabrina, Oh yes- definitely saddening. And I honestly hadn't thought of the traffic congestion.

Garsh- glad you enjoy my posts :o

Sorry to hear your little one is ill, that is very stressful and ITU being annoyed by things when you are already befuddled.

Just do it and type in "testing" or something LOL. GO ahead, *YOU* try it and I'll wait here and let you reap the consequences LOL.

I did go to one of her posts and bring up the rep box *just* to see if it's possible. But....just can't do it. Must. not. anger the overmind. :Angel_anim:

:D