Menu

How many math and science credits does your school district require for graduation?

I was surprised to find that Alabama requires 4 math credits and 4 science credits for graduation. When I graduated I'm almost completely certain there was only 2 math and 2 science. That way in the later years of high school students could focus more on extending their strengths. I was not strong in math (I'm better now) but loved english, history and science. I took more than required because I was preparing for specializing in what interested me. I can't possibly imagine what it would have been like if I had been required to take four math credits! :)

3 credits each of math and science. Math must include algebra, geometry, and statistics and science must include 1 biology.

By the class of 2015, algebra I must be completed by the end of 8th grade and Algebra II must be 1 of the 3 credits. By the class of 2015, MN will require a biology credit and a chemistry or physics credit as part of the 3.

I graduated in IA and remember needing only one science credit, which is how I avoided biology. :)

Homeschoolers in MN aren't required to meet PS standards, thank goodness, because I'd never get eldest dd through a typical biology class with dissections.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
3 credits each of math and science. Math must include algebra, geometry, and statistics and science must include 1 biology.

By the class of 2015, algebra I must be completed by the end of 8th grade and Algebra II must be 1 of the 3 credits. By the class of 2015, MN will require a biology credit and a chemistry or physics credit as part of the 3.

I graduated in IA and remember needing only one science credit, which is how I avoided biology. :)

Homeschoolers in MN aren't required to meet PS standards, thank goodness, because I'd never get eldest dd through a typical biology class with dissections.

Wow, that can go so horribly wrong for so many. Many aren't ready for Algebra 1 in 8th grade. I'd redshirt my kids for sure if they HAD to meet that requirement just to be sure I wouldn't be pushing them before they were ready.

I believe in my state it's 2 for science and 2 for math. Those are the minimum requirements of my ISP, which I'm pretty sure are aligned with (or greater than) state requirements. CA, leader of the pack, NOT:blink:

Our state will require 4 math credits (which must include algebra, geometry, algebra 2, and something beyond algebra 2) and 3 science credits.

The current requirement is only 2 math and 2 science. For 2012, it'll be 3 math. Then it goes up to 4. Ds will graduate in 2015, hopefully.

Wendi

We're obviously in TX, and the new requirement here is called the 4 x 4 plan-4 English, 4 Social Studies, 4 Science and 4 Math. This is for the "Recommended Plan". The Math must include Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra II. The science must include Biology, Chemistry, and Physics and must include lab components. I believe I read that the science courses must spend 40% of their time in labs.

Regardless of what the ps req. (They have about 3 tracks) the FL U system req. the below:

from U. of So. FL:

You must complete a minimum of 18 approved units of high school work in the five core subject areas in addition to three approved academic electives. If you are graduating from high school in 2011 or thereafter, you must complete four units of math—including one course above and beyond Algebra II. Although you may take one fewer academic elective unit, applicants who are the most competitive for admission to USF typically complete a minimum of 20 academic units, which averages five per year in grades nine though twelve.

English 4, Math 3 (4 after 2011), Natural Science 3, Social Science 3, Foreign Language 2, Electives 3 (2 after 2011) Total: 18

Edited by K-FL

4/4. My dd completed 10 math courses and 5 science courses in high school (five CC math courses and 2 CC lab sciences during her Junior/Senior years).

I believe that NC requires four math courses and three science courses for the their standard diploma. Most traditionally schooled students going the college prep route seem to take four sciences--at least the students we know.

An interesting note: previously college prep students were the ones who were required to take four years of math. Now the "future ready core" requires "(Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II) OR (Integrated Math I, II, III); 4th Math Course to be aligned with the student’s post high school plans ".

In places that require 4 science courses, what are students taking? Bio/Chem/Physics -- and physical science? Or a second year of the big three? Or an elective?

Science options at our school include:

Physical Science (required of all 9th graders)

Biology (required of all 10th graders - differing levels)

Chemisty (optional for 11th grade)

Physics (few take this)

Anatomy 1 & 2

Advanced Bio

Advanced Chem

Advanced Physics

Environmental Bio (only for low level kids!!! - Irks me!)

Plant & Animal Science

Wilderness Lit (A Hybrid 2 Credit English and Science course - wilderness is the science)

Science Topics (high school credit, but out of an 8th grade book for low academic students)

We're obviously in TX, and the new requirement here is called the 4 x 4 plan-4 English, 4 Social Studies, 4 Science and 4 Math. This is for the "Recommended Plan". The Math must include Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra II. The science must include Biology, Chemistry, and Physics and must include lab components. I believe I read that the science courses must spend 40% of their time in labs.

2 out of 3 diploma plans in Texas require the 4x4. The only plan that doesn't is the "Minimum" and you have to have special permission for that one.

The Recommended plan (as opposed to Distinguished) also allows Integrated Physics and Chemistry, but I believe that is being phased out in the next few years. I can't find definite information about that, though.

In places that require 4 science courses, what are students taking? Bio/Chem/Physics -- and physical science? Or a second year of the big three? Or an elective?

We know students who have done Bio in 9th, Chem in 10th, then in 11th and 12th they choose from among: AP Bio, AP Chem, Physics, AP Physics, or Environment Science. I am under the impression that physical science is a typical 8th grade course in NC, but I may be wrong.

My son's transcript contains five science courses: Conceptual Physics, Biology (with AP exam), General Chem I (CC), General Chem II (CC), and Intro Microbiology (CC).

I believe my district requires 3 years math and 3 years science. 3 of those years must be Algebra 1 and above. I don't think there is a specific for science. Maybe Physical Science and above.

For freshman entering in 2013, their requirements were raised to 4 math and 4 science.

My PS has:

Intro to Physics

Biology

Chemistry

Advanced Bio., Advanced Chem., Physics, Environmental Science, and I am sure there is more. I just can't think of them right now.

Our state requires:

2 math courses, must include Algebra 1.

2 science courses, including 1 life science and one physical science

Each school district can add to these requirements, but our district uses the state requirements. Obviously there is a tremendous difference between the high school graduation requirements and college entrance requirements.

Math: 3 credits (at the Algebra I level and higher)

Science: 3 credits (scientific inquiry, 2 with lab experiences)

This is for Oregon

Oregon is on a phase-in schedule. My dd, Class of 2011, is only required to have 3 years of math and 2 years of science, while my ds, Class of 2013, will have to meet the above requirements.

If I were homeschooling I'd do a year of earth science, with some astronomy thrown in. That way, the student would get exposure to all of the major branches of science.

I teach at a private high school, and our requirements are 4 years of math and 3 years of science. Before, for math, it used to be that students had to take math for 4 years and get 3 credits. That was a major pain, obviously, because there were a number of seniors who after getting their 3 credits would don't do any work in their senior math class, fail, and still could graduate.

Wow, that can go so horribly wrong for so many. Many aren't ready for Algebra 1 in 8th grade. I'd redshirt my kids for sure if they HAD to meet that requirement just to be sure I wouldn't be pushing them before they were ready.

While I do not disagree with you here, I'm guessing that there is this push for Algebra I in 8th grade because other countries do it? Like Japan and Germany, for instance? I read this in a journal article about math education in Japan (Thomas Hudson, Japan: A Different Model of Mathematics Education; this was written in 1999):

In grade 7, students learn about positive and negative numbers, the meaning of equations, letters as symbols, and algebraic expressions. By the end of grade 8, they are able to compute and transform algebraic expressions using letter symbols and to solve linear equalities and simultaneous equations; they have also been introduced to linear functions, simple polynomials, linear inequalities, plane geometry, and scientific notation. In grade 9, students learn how to solve quadratic equations (those with real solutions) and are taught the properties of right triangles and circles, functions, and probability.

In GA, four math credits and four science credits (one of which must be a life science and one of which must be a physical science) are required. For science, my son is taking chemistry, AP chemistry, biology, and physics. He will also take a science for an elective, giving him five credits, two of which will be AP. In order to meet the four math credits he will have to take both AP Calculus and multivariable calculus.

GA requires four English credits and three social studies credits. In total GA requires 23 credits to graduate high school.

It was explained to me that these requirements are what the public school requires. You are not in the public school system so you are free to set your own standards.

More important is finding out a college's requirements. Search out the ones you intend to pursue. Obviously if the states vary in their requirements, then you can assume the colleges will too. If all colleges required 4/4, all states would require 4/4.

If you are planning to attend a college of art and design, you won't need 4/4 guaranteed!

If you are attending a Bible college, you will need Bible credits even though this isn't required of public school students.

Definitely check requirements for your colleges of interest.

her in NJ the new req. are 3 of math, must be al least alg 1, alg 2 and geometry. in science also 3, has to be biology, chemistry and a science of choice, which I believe can not be physical science (2 have to have labs, students have a double period once a week for lab (takes away one day of pe). 3 years of history has to be us. 1, us 2, and world . 4 years of english, 1 year of foreign lang. and 4 years of health/pe

My SIL teaches high school math in ps. In her district they have made algebra and algebra 2 available as two year courses, as well as the traditional one year format.

They first did it with algebra because the state required all kids to take 3 years of math algebra and up. Some kids just couldn't pass algebra. So they split the class over two years and were able to get those kids through who couldn't get through otherwise. Two years of algebra (algebra 1a and algebra 2a) plus geometry still met the state requirements.

Then they found that many of the kids that took algebra in 7th or 8th grade get lost when they get to algebra 2. For those that start failing at algebra 2 they pull them and put them in the two year class and they are able to make it through that way too. Again, this may count as their first two years of high school math and then they can go on to trig/pre-calc.

Michigan here and our local school district requires 3 math, 3 science, 3 social studies, and 4 English. Algebra and geometry must be a part of the math program. The kids are warned that if algebra 2 isn't on their transcript that they won't have followed a college prep course. But they do have math alternatives to algebra 2 for credit. They also tell the college prep kids to take a fourth science.

Next year they are adding a community volunteer service requirement - which is an "oxymoron" term because if you can't graduate unless you do this, it's not volunteer work! Every kid will have to find some avenue of volunteering five hours per week or cumulative, 180 hours. The school does have a large list of options for the kids to choose from but they can also do the work through their church or organizations not on the school list - they will have to provide documentation from an appropriate individual within the organization in order to receive credit.

There are a few things that will not count for credit...institutions sending kids door-to-door for fundraising or proselytizing are the main no-no's. A lot of the 4-H kids will be doing tutoring and mentoring at a community center with an afterschool program.

This sounds well and good, but I do wonder about the logistics. We are in a rural district and nearly all of these kids will have to travel to their assignment. The school isn't providing any help with this and the 9th and 10th graders are unlicensed. So, if mom and dad both work, who is getting this kid to their volunteer job? Additionally, the kids in AP classes tend to have a lot of homework. Oh, and the sports coaches don't like it because they can't figure out how practice, game schedules, and homework plus volunteering is going to work itself out. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Personally, I think its ridiculous that most kids here do not have history in the 9th grade. World History in 10th, American History in 11th, and Government/Civics in 12th.

Faith

I did earth science, chem, and physics to avoid dissections in high school. Boy am I glad biology wasn't required.

Nan, you are a smart woman! Earth science was not offered at our school and physics was offered at the same time as the only AP English course. I ended up with Biology I, Chemistry, and Advanced Biology. Who does that, especially if you are going to be a Journalism major? :tongue_smilie:

You know what the worst part was? Sure I received college credits by sitting in my all-girl AP English course, but I could have gone to the all-guys, Jesuit high school for physics instead of. Yep, there is no question Nan, you are the smarter woman by far.

LOL - I also managed to refuse to let them switch me up to the honours English a few weeks into 9th grade, thereby missing having to read things like The Plague. I refused because I liked my prep teacher because he was teaching me to write poetry, even if he was worried that I wasn't learning anything else in the class and wasn't getting proper discussions because he was struggling to get the class just to understand the plot. Actually, I didn't do any of the refusing. My parents refused on my behalf in both cases. There is no way my biologist, double-major in English and bio mother would have let me get away with either move, but my father was a queamish engineer and was very firm about me not having to discuss my reading if I didn't want to and about me not having to learn about how living things worked if I didn't want to, the closest I could come to explaining why I didn't want to do bio. Looking back, I can't believe that meek and quiet and biddable as I was, I managed to do some rather major individualizing of my high school education. My parents were very careful not to stand out and not to rock the boat and all of that. Looking back now, though, I can see that they had a pretty dim view of the intelligence of the people who ran our town's high school and had no problem quietly flexing the system to keep it from upsetting me any more than necessary GRIN.

Do you ever wonder about how your high school education compared with high school educations now? My high school put most of my math class (the high one, most of whom were also in high everything else as well) in ceramics and gave us all at least one study hall a day, so that we would have time to do our homework. Now a days, high schools are trying not to do any study halls (at least Mass is) and yet there are all these complaints about students not learning as much. What happened? Is it a matter of which bits of the population one looks at (more now)? Or is it dumbed down textbooks? Or is it bad teachers? Some of mine were dreadful, so that doesn't seem like it could be it. Or what? Just wondering...

-Nan

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Do you ever wonder about how your high school education compared with high school educations now? My high school put most of my math class (the high one, most of whom were also in high everything else as well) in ceramics and gave us all at least one study hall a day, so that we would have time to do our homework. Now a days, high schools are trying not to do any study halls (at least Mass is) and yet there are all these complaints about students not learning as much. What happened? Is it a matter of which bits of the population one looks at (more now)? Or is it dumbed down textbooks? Or is it bad teachers? Some of mine were dreadful, so that doesn't seem like it could be it. Or what? Just wondering...

-Nan

I think it's probably a combination of all the things you've mentioned, with several other thrown in. We didn't have study halls in CA, or at least in my part of CA. I never heard of a study hall until I moved to Upstate NY in 11th grade. I'll have to ask my mother if she had study halls but I don't think so. It was very interesting to see the difference between my very large SoCal high school and very small Upstate NY high school. The quality and quantity of higher ed classes was much greater at the Upstate NY high school. Even then CA was less than excellent.

I think moving children along regardless of whether they have learned anything is extremely detrimental. My ds's aunt taught elementary school and would get students who had flunked multiple subjects the year before but were still promoted, and then she had to try to bring them up to speed. Then when they ended up in similar circumstances after her year with them her hands were just as tied as the previous year's teacher. Many unfortunate students keep getting pushed forward regardless and learn next to nothing. The attitude seems to be this is X grade math and if you can't do it you are a D math/etc student instead of meeting a child where he/she is at so they can be an A or B student and learn something. That's how we graduate kids who can't do basic math, etc.

The curriculum here is also terrible. I have a friend who teaches 7th grade and she uses homeschool curriculum (secular) that she buys because the state curriculum is such poor quality. I think that's just a portion but some of the things I've seen in my state.