Menu

Choosing a dictionary

hsmom

Does the types of words in a dictionary effect your decisions on purchasing it?  

1. 1. Does the types of words in a dictionary effect your decisions on purchasing it?

• Absolutely not
    • Of course it does
    • depends on what the words are
    • other (for all you who love that option)

Would you dismiss a dictionary just because it had foul and slang language in it? Why or why not?

My opinion is like most things you get some bad for a lot of good.

Edited by hsmom
me an my horrible spelling and not proof reading!

I purchased Webster's American Family Dictionary the day I helped my then-6 year old looked up a word in our collegiate dictionary (it wasn't in her children's dictionary) and discovered it was on the same page as the word for a sex act. :eek:

It's hard enough to protect kids' innocence without having to worry about what they might stumble across in the dictionary...

This is what we have as well, and we are very pleased with the conservative nature of the word choice and definitions. I like dc to have freedom with the dictionary when they are younger, so we use that one (children's dictionaries are about worthless, imho,) and then move to the collegiate version when they are older.

I am not bothered at all by dictionaries. If anything, I think that dictionary definitions of 'bad' words are often so dry that they kind of take the excitement out of those words. Plus, I'd rather my kids were looking up such words in dictionaries than asking the kids on the block.

The more words the better. My dc love looking at the huge dictionaries at the library. Personally I want this one:

http://www.oed.com/

It has the history of each word in addition to its modern pronounciation and meaning. It's $295 a year to subscribe or you can own the 20 volume set for $995.

:001_smile:

Check your local library, we get online access to the full OED as part of our library privileges.

I love (love, love) the OED, but I'd like to spank the publishers for the un-reasonable pricing schemes for individual users. $295 a year???

I'm very happy with our hard-copy version of the two-volume "The New Shorter Oxford Dictionary."

Bill (who, as an amateur chicken-raiser, rather enjoys "fowl" language :tongue_smilie:)

oops see not enough coffee at that moment. I cannot believe I wrote fowl and not foul. oops thanks Bill...

Doesn't it always seem like we make these kind of typos when were are asking about "dictionaries" or something? :D

Bill (who needs a little more coffee himself)

I'm very happy with our hard-copy version of the two-volume "The New Shorter Oxford Dictionary."
We have this and the CD-ROM version, and the latter gets far more use. Being able to listen to the words is nice, but I love that I can search for derivatives and also cut an paste with ease.

I was ridiculed here the last time I said this, but I would never purchase a children's dictionary that didn't contain words like "penis." It smacks of committee style censorship of basic words and concepts for fear of offending some squeamish parents and school administrators.

As for slang, meanings and fashion can change so quickly it's probably best not to include some of the more cutting edge slang, and I'm comfortable with not having some profanity included. We have a separate slang dictionary that notes which meant what and when.

Moira (who recently and inadvertently left out her copy of Depraved and Insulting English, and you can no doubt guess the rest)

I was ridiculed here the last time I said this, but I would never purchase a children's dictionary that didn't contain words like "penis." It smacks of committee style censorship of basic words and concepts for fear of offending some squeamish parents and school administrators.

My children know the correct anatomical terms for male & female genitalia, they don't need a dictionary for that. What I object to is them stumbling across the words for things they simply don't need to know about until they're much, much older. The word that prompted me to purchase a sanitized dictionary was the term for oral gratification of a woman. I don't think that I'm being particularly squeamish in thinking that is an inappropriate word for a pre-adolescent child to encounter.

I have no idea whether the Children's Dictionary we have (DK Merriam-Webster) contains potentially objectionable words. I chose this particular one because it was available at the library used book sale for $1.

It's sitting on the shelf right next to a standard collegiate dictionary and an encyclopedia.

I have no objection to my children looking up any words it might strike their fancy to look up.

My children know the correct anatomical terms for male & female genitalia, they don't need a dictionary for that.
They presumably don't need to look up other basic terms either. However, for me the inclusion (or exclusion) of basic vocabulary terms like this are a good indicator as to the overall philosophy as to word selection in the dictionary.

What I object to is them stumbling across the words for things they simply don't need to know about until they're much, much older. The word that prompted me to purchase a sanitized dictionary was the term for oral gratification of a woman. I don't think that I'm being particularly squeamish in thinking that is an inappropriate word for a pre-adolescent child to encounter.
There's a world of difference between this word and "penis." Whether I agree with you or not, on a good day, I won't call you squeamish for choosing a dictionary without it. :tongue_smilie: That said, though I have no qualms about having a general use dictionary containing this term (and we do), if my 8yo child has heard a word like that and wants to know what it means, I would hope she asks. She can usually guess from the context if it's one of "those" words, and if I just say it's to do with sex, that's enough for her... and brings on a chorus of "Ewwwwwww."

Though I will say that she was sniggering a bit during the chapter in The 101 Dalmations in which Perdita goes off to the woods to "marry" the dalmatian she met on the commons.

I purchased Webster's American Family Dictionary the day I helped my then-6 year old looked up a word in our collegiate dictionary (it wasn't in her children's dictionary) and discovered it was on the same page as the word for a sex act. :eek:

It's hard enough to protect kids' innocence without having to worry about what they might stumble across in the dictionary...

I bought this dictionary several years ago and it would be great except it doesn't have word origins which drives me nuts! I keep telling myself we need a new one but have yet to buy it.

Bill, raising chickens will definitely bring out both fowl and foul language. :D

Selecting and using an age-appropriate reference work -- of any type -- does not merit a ludicrous charge of squeamishness. Good grief, people !
FWIW, I was specific with my application of the word squeamish, and I stand by it. I accept that you may disagree with me. :001_smile:

I have a children's dictionary for my DD (one used in ps, purchased at a used book sale), and tend to use online dictionaries for anything not in the kid's one, rather than going to the big collegiate one, precisely because of the "bad words on the same page" reason. I figure eventually she'll look up the "naughty words" in the big dictionary (and the scrabble one-DH and I use the 1st edition, high level tournament one, which is NOT expurgated), just as every single kid who takes Latin eventually finds the naughty parts to translate. (And just as every single music history major enjoys Carmina Burana a little too much-especially when you know Latin and your professor either doesn't or pretends not to)-but I'll let her discover those on her own and feel, just as I did, like she's getting away with something :).

The Webster's American Family Dictionary has p*nis, v*gina, etc. It just doesn't have the cruder words (slang for sexual acts or body arts, etc.) If my dc hear those and want to know the meaning, I want them to ask me (which they do with any word they don't find in the dictionary,) so that I can explain it in our family's terms.

Moira (who recently and inadvertently left out her copy of Depraved and Insulting English, and you can no doubt guess the rest)

The rest is that I now have to request it from my library. It sounds like my cup of tea!

Regards,

Kareni

how can i ever expect my kids to read chaucer if they don't have access to the definitions for foul and crude words?? :)

dd is only five so we haven't had this come up. i imagine that by the time she understands the definitions i won't mind her looking them up. i loved looking up words that i was too embarrassed to admit i didn't know as a child.