Menu

The economy of the U.S. and why I homeschool-my thoughts...

We are experiencing, not a recession or economic collapse, but the hangover after a long night of revelry. We have been drunk with wealth for a while and the hangover sucks. But I'm glad.

We have been in the mindless McMansion phase for far too long.

It is not a stretch, or Olympic leap, to say that these times reinforce our decision to homeschool for primarily value driven reasons. We have wonderful opportunity to teach about the dangers of greed, envy, and pride (at the root of our economic drunkeness). We can stress self-control, living within your means, looking to the interests of others, and many other morals that are undervalued in society and unacceptable in the curriculums of our state schools.

Societal problems almost always stem from the root of personal problems. Therefore, top-down solutions are rarely effective. If homeschooling continues to be a revolution I hope it will be for it's ability to instill values as well as unfold intellects. Our entire country would benefit.

Jo

-my lack of blog has punished you all with this little early morning (for me on Hawaiian time) essay. Thanks for giving it an "ear".

We have been drunk with wealth for a while and the hangover sucks

:iagree:

We can stress self-control, living within your means, looking to the interests of others, and many other morals that are undervalued in society and unacceptable in the curriculums of our state schools.

Yes, yes, yes! If we don't teach our children these things, no one will. Btw, I've been gone forever. When did you move to Hawaii? Also, congrats on the new baby. I think you found out you were pregnant with #5 last time I saw you online. lol

Tracie

We are experiencing, not a recession or economic collapse, but the hangover after a long night of revelry. We have been drunk with wealth for a while and the hangover sucks. But I'm glad.

It is not a stretch, or Olympic leap, to say that these times reinforce our decision to homeschool for primarily value driven reasons. We have wonderful opportunity to teach about the dangers of greed, envy, and pride (at the root of our economic drunkeness). We can stress self-control, living within your means, looking to the interests of others, and many other morals that are undervalued in society and unacceptable in the curriculums of our state schools.

Societal problems almost always stem from the root of personal problems. Therefore, top-down solutions are rarely effective. If homeschooling continues to be a revolution I hope it will be for it's ability to instill values as well as unfold intellects. Our entire country would benefit.

Jo

-my lack of blog has punished you all with this little early morning (for me on Hawaiian time) essay. Thanks for giving it an "ear".

I think a child can still receive these same values whether in school or not. I know the children in our local public school face these same issues. They have to learn that they can't do a certain art project or field trip because there just isn't the money in the budget. No where in my children's textbooks (when they attended ps) did I ever see them tell my children to go out and spend money like crazy or don't care about others. Actually, in a school situation, I think a child has to be more caring towards others because you are dealing with others everyday.

I do know that I have more influence on my own children when they are with me 24 hours a day but I do take offense to this post. On homeschooling boards I see posts related to bashing the public schools so much that it makes me sick. I think we need to stop being so judgemental of ps families. Just because of where you are schooled, doesn't mean you won't have values. I went to ps my whole life and I see nothing wrong with the moral values my mother gave me.

I'm putting on my flame retardant now.

Jo

to your local newspaper/letter to the editor to have it published!!!!

:iagree:

No that would be me... but I meant it as PARENTS from society. ie society as whole encourages us to spend. Only parents can teach being frugal, what is a need vs. a want, etc.

No need to be offended. I no longer homeschool, but I know my kids are still learning our values about frugality and what the truly important things are. Don't turn the OP into something it wasn't.

awanama:

I don't like public schools (I think the system is a broken system that wastes far too much money and is not as successful as it should be).

But I don't dislike/bash public school children or their parents as a whole. I dislike/bash people on an individual basis. Where they go to school or went to school is just one factor. ;)

I grew up in a family who had very little. I was pretty happy. Now I have just a little bit more and really I feel like I'm living high on the horse in comparison. Maybe it is relative. As long as you aren't forced to live drastically different than you are accustomed to it is ok. But I often shake my head when people who have way more "stuff" than I do are feeling broke because they can't afford to blow more money on nothing in particular. ;)

Distinctions of wealth vs. poverty are very much relative. I saw a documentary once on the !Kung. This woman started off a description of her childhood as a hunter-gatherer in a marginal environment by saying "when I was young, we were not poor". They had everything they needed and expected by the norms of their culture, even though by our standards they were the poorest of the poor, owing essentially nothing. They weren't in poverty until they were herded onto a reservation, told they were poor, and given handouts. The world her daughters grew up in was one of very different expectations, of knowledge that there were others who had a lot more "stuff" and that they were never going to have all that. They'd also lost the ability to hunt and travel freely, and were losing other aspects of their culture as well.

Poverty and wealth are very much relative.

I think a child can still receive these same values whether in school or not. I know the children in our local public school face these same issues. They have to learn that they can't do a certain art project or field trip because there just isn't the money in the budget. No where in my children's textbooks (when they attended ps) did I ever see them tell my children to go out and spend money like crazy or don't care about others. Actually, in a school situation, I think a child has to be more caring towards others because you are dealing with others everyday.

I do know that I have more influence on my own children when they are with me 24 hours a day but I do take offense to this post. On homeschooling boards I see posts related to bashing the public schools so much that it makes me sick. I think we need to stop being so judgemental of ps families. Just because of where you are schooled, doesn't mean you won't have values. I went to ps my whole life and I see nothing wrong with the moral values my mother gave me.

I'm putting on my flame retardant now.

Are you saying the public schools *can* teach these values, or they *do* teach them?

If you consider my specific criticisms of our government schools "bashing" then perhaps you would be surprised to know that I am huge supporter of public schooling. We all should be. We have a vested interest in the education of all the children in this country. But the school system at present is broken. I can't soften that reality for you.

Do I believe it is possible that children are learning the connection between their individual choices and the effect those choices have on their community in relation to economics? It is, of course, possible. Do I think this is happening in any sort of wide spread way? No. Emphatically no.

If you take offense to this post than I can offer you no solace. I believe the wish not to offend is perhaps why we aren't telling our children in the public schools that certain behaivor is right and wrong. I won't perpetuate the problem and temper my opinion, because I believe it is sound.

Jo

And no this doesn't mean this line of conversation should stop. And it doesn't mean that people who never went without should never comment. I just want to point out that there are plenty of people who know nothing about overconsumption and have very little greed.

I found this article about poverty quite interesting. From the Boston Globe.

Not exactly on point, but interesting thoughts.

Perhaps to Donald Trump, I am poor. But I'm sure there are many Americans who would think I am most definitely not poor.

We have our own home, live on one income, have food in the pantry and fridge, pay all of our bills, and have no debt besides our mortgage. We have two vehicles that run (they are used).

Yet, we basically live paycheck to paycheck due to our normal bills. (and I must admit, not-so-wise spending at times especially the groceries)

Here in FL, our home owners insurance has skyrocketed, as well as our property tax. Add in the rise in our power bill, car insurance, water bill and health insurance.

I am content, I feel so blessed and am so happy with my life. So, am I poor? I guess it depends on who you ask in the world. I'm sure there is some statistic that I'm in the top 15% or something. lol I don't know. :tongue_smilie:

I found this article about poverty quite interesting. From the Boston Globe.

Not exactly on point, but interesting thoughts.

Well, IMO- "the system"'s purpose is to turn out consumers, they condition students to be consumers from a very young age- they are training students to be good little worker bees and not question the system. Then typically speaking those worker bees in training come home and watch commercial television while they have a snack. They grow up to become worker bees to keep the economy going (or try to), and they come home and watch commercial television. Lots of people like to "keep up with the Joneses", or at least not be TOO different from them. I abhor the system, I abhor the purpose of the system. I will bash it, because it doesn't work. The system is a HUGE part of everyone's life here, HSing or not. HSers have as much right to dis the system as those who are participating in it. The results of the PS system affect everyone. No one said the parents of the PS children have no values, but I will say I question the values of our cookie cutter generations. And I don't just mean PSers, but many HSers too.

:iagree: While I have no desire to remove my child from what is really in the world, I do want to be able to temper certain influences. Equally, while my paganism and Marxist philosophy are not the reasons why I homeschool, I do see the "signs of the times" as antithetical to those beliefs and I am glad for the buffer that homeschooling provides between that which I abhor in the world -- which is far too omnipresent in the factory/labour driven public school system-- and those values which I wish to foster in my child.