Menu

Museums in Southeast US with Ancient History Exhibits

We're finishing up Ancienct History with our 2 dks, 11 and 8. We would like to know if there are any museums in the southeast US that have Ancienct History special exhibits. We missed the Egyptian one in Atlanta last year, but did make it to the Ancient China one at the Art Museum in Atlanta. Do you know of any others this summer? Thanks,

Teresa in Ga

Have you thought about the Parathanon in Nashville? I know they were affected by the flooding but just a thought.

The Parthenon and Centennial Park, where it is located are up and running.

It's fun and a little different than a regular museum. Nothing that looks like Ancients at the Frist art museum here right now, but you could check their website to be sure for the summer.

I've heard of these two, but I've never been to either one.

http://www.annistonmuseum.org/

http://www.explorationsinantiquity.net/

My family went to the Anniston Museum a few months ago. We enjoyed it. Anything ancient deals with dinosaurs and Egypt. There is nothing hands-on in the Egypt section. All of the hands-on is dealing with Alabama wildlife and such. There is another museum next to the Anniston Museum of Natural History that several friends said is really good, but we did not go to it. You can get a discount if you go to both on the same day.

The Michael C. Carlos Museum at Emory (in Atlanta).

They have an excellent, excellent collection. Just amazing, imo. (Their bookstore also has a nice selection of kids books on all sorts of ancient civilizations.) Really, I've seen a variety of ancient collections & I think the Carlos is one of the very best I've seen in the US for ancient collections.

They also sometimes have kids workshops (usually a few hours on a Sunday afternoon), family activities, and summer camps. The workshops have been excellent too. Be sure to check their calendar:

http://carlos.emory.edu/calendar

As already mentioned, The Parthenon in Nashville is worth a visit. Very fun & nice grounds around it for a picnic.

If you're interested in dinosaurs or archaeology, you may want to check out Fernbank (in Atlanta) or the McWane Science Center (in Birmingham).

Edited by Stacia

They have an excellent, excellent collection. Just amazing, imo. (Their bookstore also has a nice selection of kids books on all sorts of ancient civilizations.) Really, I've seen a variety of ancient collections & I think the Carlos is one of the very best I've seen in the US for ancient collections.

A couple years ago our co-op took a tour of the Carlos. It was great. We had to break into 4 groups and the group I was in really lucked out with a wonderful docent who had her own visual aids to help the younger kids gain a better understanding of what the exhibit was all about. Really wish we could have spent more time there but for the kids it was long enough. ;)

Cinder

They also sometimes have kids workshops (usually a few hours on a Sunday afternoon), family activities, and summer camps. The workshops have been excellent too. Be sure to check their calendar:

We went to the Carlos Museum after covering Egypt. It was a great experience! They have Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and New World exhibits. Really wonderful stuff.

For your maybe-not-so-ancient-history of the Americas check out the Etowah Indian Mounds in Cartersville GA.

http://gastateparks.org/EtowahMounds

I don't know if they still do this, but they used to have night tours twice a year. The path was lit up by torches and there were short talks about the houses, pottery, canoes. We also walked to the top of one mound. It was pretty cool--even the dc enjoyed it.

Cinder

For your maybe-not-so-ancient-history of the Americas check out the Etowah Indian Mounds in Cartersville GA.

We went there w/ a small group & booked a tools & weapons demo; it was very neat. The guy did a great job of explaining & demonstrating how they modified & improved their spears over time.

The Atlanta History Center has an exhibit through 2010 about the native Mississippian (later Creek & Cherokee) people of Georgia. (I haven't seen this exhibit, but we typically enjoy things at the Atlanta History Center.)

Also, as you go through history, you may want to see if you can make it one year to the Georgia Timeline of History. (Though, from the webpage, it looks like they've upped their requirement to a min. of 20 for a hs group.) It's in Waleska, GA (about 45 min. north of Atlanta).

• 1 year later...

This link is over a year old but THANK YOU for the replies to the OP. I am the field trip coordinator for our area gropu & was searching for new ideas and possible ANCIENT tours in the southeast. This was a wonderful resource.

Wonder if there are others? I am going to try to search out traveling exhibits.... anyone have any great leads for (AL-GA-TN) region?

This link is over a year old but THANK YOU for the replies to the OP. I am the field trip coordinator for our area gropu & was searching for new ideas and possible ANCIENT tours in the southeast. This was a wonderful resource.

I agree! Thanks for reviving it. We just learned about Ancient Greece and now I want to go to the Parthenon!

As already mentioned, The Parthenon in Nashville is worth a visit. Very fun & nice grounds around it for a picnic.

If you're interested in dinosaurs or archaeology, you may want to check out Fernbank (in Atlanta) or the McWane Science Center (in Birmingham).

The Michael C. Carlos museum is awesome. I've taken my 6th grade private school students there for years. There is a wonderful ancient Egypt exhibit that includes several mummies. The ancient Greek and roman sections are well represented too. My students really enjoyed the ancient Americas sections with Olmec, Mayan, and Aztec items. Oh, and there is a gift shop with a really nice children's section.

I was also going to recommend Carlos at Emory.

I don't know if they still do this, but they used to have night tours twice a year. The path was lit up by torches and there were short talks about the houses, pottery, canoes. We also walked to the top of one mound. It was pretty cool--even the dc enjoyed it.

Cinder

I haven't checked this year, but I know they did this last year. (This is in my neck of the woods. LOL)

Cartersville also has some other excellent museums but not for ancient history.

If you are studying ancient Native Americans, Rock Eagle, a 4-H campsite in Putnam county, GA has an eagle formation made by Woodland Indians about 2,000 years ago. The camp also has classes for children on things such as life in Native American village, understanding reptiles and animal habitats. My daughter loves it!

Rock Eagle is about 15 miles from I-20. It is located roughly between Atlanta and Augusta.

If you are studying ancient Native Americans, Rock Eagle, a 4-H campsite in Putnam county, GA has an eagle formation made by Woodland Indians about 2,000 years ago. The camp also has classes for children on things such as life in Native American village, understanding reptiles and animal habitats. My daughter loves it!

Rock Eagle is about 15 miles from I-20. It is located roughly between Atlanta and Augusta.

I went to 4-H camp there in 1979. :)

QUOTE]

was going to suggest this. it was very good!