Menu

Lesson Plans/Daily Schedules ?????

Can anyone share with me their thoughts on lesson plans and/or daily schedules?

Do you find that planning makes it easier to go about your day and get things accomplished or does it just add to your list of things to do and frustration?

Do you make you own lesson plans? If not, could you suggest websites for lesson plan ideas? I have noticed that if you have the Homeschool Tracker Plus edition, then you can join their Yahoo group and have access to lots of lesson plans. I'm not sure I was going to shell out the $ for the Plus edition (thinking of trying out the free homeschool Skedtrack).

I am trying to be pro-active and get prepared over the summer for the next school year ~ any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :001_smile:

and will be schooling four next year. For me, plans are essential! We school 6 weeks on then 1 off then 6 on and 1 off. This gives us 36 weeks of school then 6 weeks for summer. It works for us.:)

What I try to do is get a general overview of what I want to do all year long during the summer. DH and I write some goals for each dc (and the family). Then, I plan specifically in 6 week chunks. I used my word processing program to make up a grid schedule for each kid with the subjects down the side and Days 1-5 across the top. This is a generic plan I use all year long. I print them out 6 (per kid) at a time. Each kid's is different because they have some different subjects. After making the 6 week plan I gather all supplies, invluding going to Kinko's to make all necessary copies. Last year I tried to make the copies for the entire year and realized that doesn't work. Life gets in the way, kids' needs change, stuff works/doesn't work so I wasted $$ on copies by doing it that way.:glare:. I file everything (including the lesson plans for each kid) under a numbered tab in my "big binder." Then, I pull out 1 week at a time to put in my little "working binder." Each kid has a folder for each day of the week and on Sundays I put all appropriate work in the folder for the right days. Some stuff can't go in the folder, but if it can, it does. Then, each kid has a spiral notebook that I write all the daily assignments in. That way they can check it off when they are done. After I look it over I mark in the assignment book that it's done.

During the week of vacation I plan out the next 6 weeks for each kid.

That being said, I am going to adjust this a bit next year. It's too much, even though I'm a planner. So, next year I plan on streamlining. I've found (or will find, depending on the dc;)) as much curriculum as I can that's just "do-the-next-thing." Also, for my olders (who will be 6th and 8th grades next year) my goal is to transition them to a weekly plan. I'll start with just 1 subject or maybe 2 where they get weekly assignments and decide on their own what to do each day to get it all accomplished on time. Not only do I need them to be independent, these are good life skills they need to learn!:)

I would never attempt teaching without at least an outline of a plan. What do you want to accomplish? What's the most important? least important? At the ages of your dc I would focus on the 3 R's, being obedient, and learning to love learning. That will set an invaluable foundation for the rest of your homeschooling years.

There's my 2 cents, for whatever that's worth!:D

Edited by Jen+4dc

I like Jen's program! That's kind of how we did it when our kids were younger--a tighter schedule.

However, when my kids were your kids' ages, we had a looser "schedule". During naptime for the littles, I'd do schoolwork with the oldest. We didn't make a big deal of scheduling, and it worked out well. I'd keep it less schedule-ish for your kids, as they're still young. I guess I'd make it more general, and do the work somewhere around the same time, but if there are interruptions, then it's not a big deal.

Once they're a little older, you can make more of a schedule if that's how your kids do best.

My younger ds and my dd work best on their own schedules. Oldest ds STILL needs a good schedule to keep him focused. So, take that into consideration as well.

Once he was in about 4th grade he needed more of a schedule. His brother was now starting school, and was VERY easy-going, so we implemented more of a schedule to keep oldest ds on track with the distraction of his brother schooling now as well.

We don't have schedules as much as we have routines, especially since my dd struggles with some ADD issues and we have a 1yo.

Planning? Oh heavens, yes! I do lesson plans for each subject and pop them into HST+ (yes, I am one of those :D). But HST+ makes it super easy to reschedule forwards and backwards for when life happens, we need more time, they decide to do several lessons in a day, etc. This helps me make sure we are achieving our academic goals for the year.

I do love the other poster's idea to only do 6 weeks of copying at a time. I need to remember that one. Thanks!

I hope this helps?

Lesson plans really help me. They keep me focused on what needs to be accomplished. I am willing to stray from the plan if the need or desire arises, however. Because of that I usually only make about 2 weeks at a time. We have 23 days of school left. I actually sat down and did a plan for what has to get done in the rest of the time we have.

I have been making my own lesson plans based on a plan I found on a thread here. The link to it is in the first post. For next year I am ordering planners from Good News Planners. I am still going to be designing my own pages to plan their work on the same 2 page spread. I will have them printed and bound I think.

I laminated a weekly checklist with subjects written out in a table. Then ds crosses off what he does, he gets to pick the order.

Then I just print out a monthly calendar from ical and at the beginning of the week pencil in which chapter we're doing for each subject usually in the sunday column. That's it. Most of my curriculum is do the next thing, on some things I copy the table of contents (singapore math) or the weekly lessons (FLL) and check those of with a highlighter as we do them.

For me this works really well. We usually do hs 5 weeks on and one week off. Even the off week we either do a project or just some basic test prep.

This has evolved a lot from when I first started two years ago. I was writing everything down including page numbers for the week before and then adjusting if need by. I realized no one cares for all that info. Certainly our state doesn't require it and it was making me crazy to jot down all the "learning" stuff.

Ds loves the weekly checklist (he's 8 and in 3rd) and its nice to have it at desk on a clip board so he can periodically check it.

Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions posted in this thread (and for taking the time to help me out!)

Being a type A personality, I think it will be good for me to make out a planner for myself (at least to make me THINK I am organized!:lol:)

I am also thinking that ds#1 (who just might be a little like me:D) would enjoy a daily schedule to look at and check off. Now, ds #2, I am thinking may not like it as much ~ so I'll have to think of another way to keep him feeling included without the need for soooo much structure.

Thanks again for some great ideas!

• 3 years later...

I am one of those people who gets stressed out by lesson plans. What works for me instead is a schedule, with a certain amount of time allotted to each subject. The curriculum I use are pretty open and go. So at 9 a.m. I literally set a timer and we do Barton reading for 45 minutes. Then I set the timer again and we do math for 60 minutes. This is what works for me. So I guess in a way I do use lesson plans, but lesson plans that someone else wrote :)

But it really does not work for me to plan out "i have to get through x, y and z today." I just completely self-destruct once I go down that road!

I plan what we are doing for each subject, but I let them (generally) put the subjects in order each day. I have a magnet board with moveable subjects. I printed these out from a homeschool blog somewhere, cut them out, laminated them and added magnets. I will give DD guidelines such as, "we need to do spelling, math, and piano practice before snack--you can put them in order. We also have to finish such and such before lunch, then we can do this art project". She is so much more willing to get through the things she doesn't like if she puts them in order and sees a "fun" activity at the end.

As for where to write out plans, I tried a few things last year and nothing was perfect. This summer I am going to try to make my own planner this: http://www.newbeehomeschooler.com/freecurriculumplanner.htm

I have a weekly spreadsheet I have made up with an allotted time for each topic. For things like math, language arts, and writing, I leave the boxes blank, because I want my kids to be able to move at their own pace. I fill in what they have completed as we go along. For things like history, science, art, and read-alouds, I write down what I plan for us to do each day. It helps me to have "Chapter 5" written down in the read-aloud box. I'm not the type to feel guilty, though, if I don't get to everything in the time slot allotted. I just finish up in the afternoon or the next day. Having it written down keeps me on track and accountable (if only to myself).

I do plan out our history, science, art, and grammar (for dd9 using MCT) during the summer. I just make a spreadsheet with 36 weeks and break it down so that we can get through everything during the year. Then when I make up our weekly spreadsheet each week, it's easy to transfer what I've planned onto it.

Wanted to add that Donna Young website (donnayoung.org) has some really helpful (free) planning sheets and she talks you through how to make lesson plans if you want to make them. I haven't done that for my children yet (they are young) and we like just having a daily routine. But we haven't figured it out yet by any means. :laugh: I am trying to be more prepared for our content areas as well as they just don't seem to get done if I don't have a plan. Her website shows different types of planners and planning (weekly, by subject, daily, etc.) Highly recommend! :)

• 1 month later...

and will be schooling four next year. For me, plans are essential! We school 6 weeks on then 1 off then 6 on and 1 off. This gives us 36 weeks of school then 6 weeks for summer. It works for us. :)

What I try to do is get a general overview of what I want to do all year long during the summer. DH and I write some goals for each dc (and the family). Then, I plan specifically in 6 week chunks. I used my word processing program to make up a grid schedule for each kid with the subjects down the side and Days 1-5 across the top. This is a generic plan I use all year long. I print them out 6 (per kid) at a time. Each kid's is different because they have some different subjects. After making the 6 week plan I gather all supplies, invluding going to Kinko's to make all necessary copies. Last year I tried to make the copies for the entire year and realized that doesn't work. Life gets in the way, kids' needs change, stuff works/doesn't work so I wasted $$ on copies by doing it that way. :glare:. I file everything (including the lesson plans for each kid) under a numbered tab in my "big binder." Then, I pull out 1 week at a time to put in my little "working binder." Each kid has a folder for each day of the week and on Sundays I put all appropriate work in the folder for the right days. Some stuff can't go in the folder, but if it can, it does. Then, each kid has a spiral notebook that I write all the daily assignments in. That way they can check it off when they are done. After I look it over I mark in the assignment book that it's done.

During the week of vacation I plan out the next 6 weeks for each kid.

That being said, I am going to adjust this a bit next year. It's too much, even though I'm a planner. So, next year I plan on streamlining. I've found (or will find, depending on the dc;)) as much curriculum as I can that's just "do-the-next-thing." Also, for my olders (who will be 6th and 8th grades next year) my goal is to transition them to a weekly plan. I'll start with just 1 subject or maybe 2 where they get weekly assignments and decide on their own what to do each day to get it all accomplished on time. Not only do I need them to be independent, these are good life skills they need to learn! :)

I would never attempt teaching without at least an outline of a plan. What do you want to accomplish? What's the most important? least important? At the ages of your dc I would focus on the 3 R's, being obedient, and learning to love learning. That will set an invaluable foundation for the rest of your homeschooling years.

There's my 2 cents, for whatever that's worth! :D

I know I'm bumping a really old thread... But this was so worth bumping.  Found it last night doing planning.....

I know I'm bumping a really old thread... But this was so worth bumping.  Found it last night doing planning.....

I'm glad you bumped it!  I am deep in the planning trenches and there are some helpful ideas here! 

I am going with a weekly checklist for my son to use, and subject plans that don't have weeks marked on them, but just have a space for me to check off and date each "lesson" as it's done.

Have you checked out Scholaric.com? I don't think this website gets the attention it deserves. It looks a little archaic but it is amazing. I think you can get a trial and the monthly fee is cheap.

Also, I have made me own lesson planner that has space for 3 children for each subject (I also have it for 1 and 2 kids). I just took it to be bound yesterday and I am thrilled with it. I plan on jotting down my plans in this and then plugging them into Scholaric. I know it seems like double work, but I am not a computer planning kind of gal. I like the plans in front of me during the day, not running to the computer. 

I used to track everything on a calendar of sorts. Now, I just have colored-coded folders with worksheets and/or teacher guides inside. We use Singapore Math, so I just prepare the day ahead for that. We just pretty much do the next thing. For reading/language arts, I print out worksheets for two weeks (or more) at a time and keep them in a red folder. I pull what is needed for the next day right after completing the current school day (or right after lunch). I also pick out a book for DD to read (these are researched and checked out from the library weeks in advance) and put everything in our reading cubbyhole. Math manipulatives are rounded up and I bookmark the teacher guide (and generally look over the next day's lesson) and put them in our math cubbyhole. History and science curriculum is printed in full and placed in their corresponding green and blue folders. Since I have to order books from the library in advance for these subjects, I plan about a month out for these. After I check out and skim our library books, I just jot a list of days and corresponding books, activities, etc. at the top of each chapter's teacher page. Lesson plans came with our Spanish curriculum, so I just plan a week ahead for it. Round up and mark what we'll be doing on what days. It's really just a matter of basic organization and developing a method that is easy and works well for you. After tracking everything on a calendar for almost a year, I didn't need it anymore. I'm on autopilot now.

My latest version of "the plan":

6ish- Morning Routines (including music practice and a quick snack-like breakfast)

8ish- Bible, IEW, and EEL (grammar)

10ish- Brunch

11ish- Pick up where we left off on all the other subjects and go until we have to stop

3ish- thinking of stopping at this time on purpose to fit in read aloud daily but not sure....might have to be evenings

4ish- outside lessons and play

6ish- dinner and devotion

7ish- chores

8ish-bedtime routines

Can anyone share with me their thoughts on lesson plans and/or daily schedules?

I find both lesson plans (by subject and weekly) and a daily schedule (a MOTH schedule) to be essential for us, especially as the kids have gotten older.   (There are subject style lesson plans on my blog's right-hand column and I've just posted my MOTH schedule for the upcoming year as well.)

Do you find that planning makes it easier to go about your day and get things accomplished or does it just add to your list of things to do and frustration?

If I don't plan ahead of time, it gets pushed back and not done.  The same happens if I don't make a specific time for something.  When I make our daily schedule, I try to pad the activities so that they are scheduled for more time than is actually needed.  This allows for some interruptions (phone, bathroom, sibling, pet, etc.).  If something happens that we can't get everything done, then I choose which lessons to move to the following day or week as needed.

Do you make you own lesson plans? If not, could you suggest websites for lesson plan ideas? I have noticed that if you have the Homeschool Tracker Plus edition, then you can join their Yahoo group and have access to lots of lesson plans. I'm not sure I was going to shell out the $ for the Plus edition (thinking of trying out the free homeschool Skedtrack).

I make my own lessons plans using tables similar to the subject planners on donnayoung.org.  Each subject is planned separately.  I take one of her year at a glance calenders and jot down which weeks to homeschool and which to take off.  This may change during the course of the year, but it helps me keep from running school into June most years.  Every couple of weeks during the year, I transfer the assignments from the subject planner onto my planner for the coming weeks and give the older kids check sheets with their assignments.  Then it's just a matter of covering the lessons I need to teach with each child in the time slots on the schedule.

I am trying to be pro-active and get prepared over the summer for the next school year ~ any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I also find it's better to prep as much as I can ahead of time:  printing maps, tests, quizzes, etc.; gathering supplies for art and science; making vocabulary cards.  The less office stuff I have to do during the year, the more I can focus on preparing to teach the lessons.   HTH 

This will be my third year HSing. The first year, I tried to do a daily schedule for each kid. It got tedious to write it all out each week. This year, I gave it all up--no schedule, but I noticed that my kids missed having something to check off.

So, this year, I'm prepared. I've gone through every curriculum for my kids and have written out a schedule in Excel, but not by date, just by lesson. The plan is that they will have a daily schedule, well a list of things they need to do each day. As they go through their list --mostly in any order they want, but there will be a few things we do together, so those will be at set times--they will look at their master schedule for whatever subject they're working on and just do the next thing. When they finish a lesson, they  mark it off and the next time they do that subject, they'll do the next lesson, etc. That way I'm not writing it out or printing anything out each week, and if we get behind or delayed, there's no adjusting on my end.

I'm all set to go and feel such a relief!