Menu

I would like to hear stories of how your homeschooling has changed over time.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Kristina, I find exercise is the best thing I can do to relieve stress. Is your dh gone a lot with the Army? My dad was in the Navy, so he was gone almost all the time. I wonder, with the ages of your kids (7,5,4), how much of this is related to that, a stage? I'm cutting myself some slack with that, now that I have a toddler. I'll bet things are radically different for you when your kids are 9,7,6 or 11, 9,8. Give it a few years. Call these the messy years. Then you'll have the tween/crazy years. Then you'll have the fast, flurry, and out the door years. Then they'll be gone. The years when they are young are slower than the years as they get older, trust me. It will get better. :)

I'm also finding exercise to be a huge stress reliever. I guess my problem comes when I hop off the treadmill feeling great and energized and then sit down again to pull it all together and end up right back at square one.

:lol: I'm going to work on it--adjusting expectations or planning better...or a combination of both.

Yes, DH being gone a lot is an issue. I've gotten by so far by just being grateful for such a wonderful husband, a strong marriage and being a pretty tough cookie. Now I feel like only the first two parts of that are true, because I sure don't feel tough anymore, a very unnatural feeling for me. Hands-down, my biggest challenge when he's gone is my lack of a break. Every Army wife knows the struggle these days, when asking someone to watch the kids usually means asking someone in exactly your exhausted situation for a favor they need badly themselves. I am working on a nice trade situation with a close friend whose kids are great friends with my kids.

I'm remembering every day how quickly they grow up, especially as my youngest turned 4. :001_smile:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
How many of you here have changed your homeschool style, curriculum, etc. from what you wished it could be to match who you are as a person and teacher (warts and all)?

When I started out I wanted to do the Charlotte Mason thing but couldn't find resources for preschool so I ordered Oak Meadow. Dissapointed with that we read good books and did nature studies that first year. The second year was preK and I happened upon Sonlight and Singapore. 1/2 way through my dd's K year I discovered TWTM and Classical education. Basically the first few years we did a lot of exploring curriculum and methods first hand. From CM to Waldorf to unschooling to living books to classical to where I am now.

The last couple of years basically last half of 2nd through first 1/2 of 4th, I pulled everything together to fit the classical framework: we had set curriculum for Latin (Minimus then Lively), math (Singapore) and phonics/spelling (SWR). Everything else was lapbooks and unit studies and good spines (SOTW). Sometimes we were more hands on and sometimes we were not. Sometimes school took a long, long time and sometimes it was too short.

Over time I learned that I have a visual spatial learner who loves science and is good at math but hates it and a hands-on child who is unwilling to learn unless she is given a good reason. So I look for things that are very visual and hands on. I look for things with manipulatives and projects. We are fairly settled right now in our choices.

How many of you here have wished for a certain type of education for your children and overcome personal limitations to make it happen? What specifically did you do to work on your limitations and improve as a homeschooler and mom?

I wanted to give my children an education in the classics. My children are both considered late-readers by the standards of this board and the ps school system. I don't push the classics instead I push an enjoyment of reading and let them read whatever they want including comic books. The classics can come later when they are ready to really enjoy and understand them. When they will not be torture.

I think giving up control, relaxing and just enjoying the ride has helped me so much. I also don't worry about what everyone else is doing any more and I stopped really looking for the perfect curriculum. I use what works for us not what the hot item is at the moment.

There is something out there for every teaching and learning style. You just have to figure out what you want and what works with your kids and take it from there. Sometimes, it is a bit of a journey and you wander to a lot of different places before you find the right fit.

Sometimes, I regret not using this or doing that from the beginning but really all that stuff we did that didn't work really helped to get us to the place we are at right now so that we knew how to make the good stuff work. Enjoy.:001_smile:

Wandering is an apt description for what I'm doing right now. Maybe I should try to feel more peaceful about it. :001_smile:

DS7 is also good at math but hates it. :confused: That has been my biggest challenge this year. I never envisioned that kind of situation. I don't feel like it's necessarily my responsibility to make him love it but I do have to teach it and want him to enjoy it, especially because he is a natural. Math has definitely been my biggest struggle this year.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's good for me to hear about others who have wandered, found their own way and feel at peace. :001_smile:

BTW, I think it's just plain hard to grow into homeschooling. If people hit it right and find their stride from the very start, they're really lucky or insightful about themselves or something. It's just a process you go through, learning how you learn, learning who your kids are, learning what your kids AREN'T, learning how to bring out the best in them. It's like marriage. You're probably a better wife now than you were at the beginning, even though you were well-intentioned the whole way. You had to grow. It's a growth process and no one can give you that. You earn it. :)

That comment should win the gold. I'm 8 years into this and learning how to homeschool is like learning how to parent-it's never finished until the kids have left the nest. I've called it a journey before, and really, it is. One step at a time.

I started out schooling at home, curriculum in a box, freaked out that my kid wasn't getting everything right. Time passed. I am more eclectic. I have gotten MUCH better at understanding my kids, how they learn, realizing that life lessons are often far more important than academic lessons. I have realized that school does not have to take 8 hours but that learning should happen all the time.

Ohh this was me! I went down the lists (of how I thought I was going to lick this homeschooling thing) and bought it all. I burnt us all out so badly that we needed months to recover. I have to say I was and am ashamed at how I drove my own children to that-after I took them out to give them something better. We were fighting all the time, there was no peace in my house, and my marriage was super stressed.

Kristina, the quote you gave from The Happiness Project is spot on for me. We have been hsing for the past 6 years. I have tried so darn hard for all of those years to be a classical homeschooler. I so badly want to give my children a classical education, but every year we get sidetracked and we end up going down a path that is oh-so-not-classical. Then I try again at the beginning of the next year to be more classical and the same-old same-old happens. This has been so frustrating for me.

Then this year happened. I started out in true Julia fashion with plans that were deeply classical, then three days into our year, I found out I had cancer. Everything went topsy turvy from then on. The cancer itself truly wasn't a big deal. I wasn't sick. I had surgery to remove the cancer and I am now cancer free. The problem was the aftermath of the cancer. This was the impetus for self-examination in all areas. The main area was homeschooling. This self-examination has really worn me out.

Regardless of how much I want to give my kids a classical education, it just isn't working. I do not want to waste any more time trying to be the person I wish I was. I need to accept and be happy with the person I am and that is a relaxed (I'm talking really, really relaxed :D ) homechooler. I can still put classical elements into our day but if I am totally honest, I can't really call us classical. I am on the path of being satisfied with that.

:grouphug::grouphug: I'm glad you're cancer free.

On the bolded, Amen. :001_smile:

Well, I'm a committed realist so I'm always glad I chose this path but I definitely need more unrestrained joy of being "soooo glad," you know? And my goodness, the falling down...we're doing that all over the place here. CM would say we haven't established our habits well enough. I would agree.

Yes, I will admit to not establishing habits, but when you're having babies every year (me) it's hard to establish anything but lack of sleep! :001_smile: If I had no children and ran a school it would be easy for me to say such. A house full of toddlers/ kids and moving/sickness, habits are hard. If there's any ONE habit in our house it's that we need to be fluid enough to adapt.

thankfully my husband has always has more relaxed standards for me and my situation (homeschooling and all of the kids) than I had for myself. HE was the one telling me to stop putting so much pressure on myself. This is a man whose livlihood depends on precision. :D:D

I think the real crux of the problem is that I don't want to evolve.

When we started out, I knew mostly unschoolers. I read a lot about it. It felt right for ME. Then I started to realize it wasn't right for my son. I fought it. As I started to attempt more "schooly" things and began looking into curriculum I kept thinking, "Hey, I didn't sign up for this!"

This is a wonderful thread. I need to come back when I have more time to read all the responses.

What a fun topic. I'm looking forward to reading the replies.

I've been homeschooling for thirteen years and I am not the same person I was at the beginning of this journey.

When we started, I had a six year old child who was on the autism spectrum and a four year old who was constantly asking the same questions over and over and over and over. I also had a little one on the way.

I was frazzled but determined! Private schooling was not working for our family and in fact, was just as bad as public school. So when my oldest son finished his kindergarten year, we pulled him out of the system and began homeschooling.

We went ABeka all the way because it looked easy to teach yet had the academic content I wanted. That first year, I taught the program...not my child. He did every problem on every worksheet just because it was there. I cringe to think about it.

The next year, we added our second son to our program but this time we used Five In A Row. FIAR and a great group of moms over on the FIAR boards taught me how to use literature to teach my children in a variety of subjects. But I was still stressing my kids out by making them do every problem on every worksheet for language arts and math.

My second child took a long time to learn to read and we eventually put two and two together and discovered that he had an LD as well. So the Lord began "my" education in teaching my children in the way "they," should go...rather than teaching a curriculum. That year, my third son was added to our program. And a several years later, a daughter.

We've gone through so much as a family...and each step the Lord has used to make me a better teacher, mom and wife. We no longer do every problem on the page, nor every worksheet in the book. I no longer see curriculum as a master, but have put it in its rightful place as a tool.

I have learned to relax because, well, there are too many other things to think about. I've learned more lessons than I have time to put down in this reply. And I think that the Lord has different lessons for each individual family.

My oldest is starting college in the fall. So over the years, something went right! I've made mistakes, but somehow it has all worked out. As much as homeschooling has been good for the children, somehow I think the Lord really meant the lesson for me.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
When I was a young homeschooler, I thought I knew it all. The best programs, the best methodology, the best way to accomplish everything!

The longer I do it (closing down eight years now) the more I realize how LITTLE I know. Each day is something new. Good thing I went into homeschooling with such confidence, or I would have thrown in the towel long ago! :D

Well, I definitely thought I knew what would be best for me as teacher. Again, I guess I lack self-awareness--or else that was for the me of 3 years ago when I first started planning after years of dreaming. I wasn't quite so exhausted then. I guess it also goes back to knowledge of philosophies, curriculum, etc. not being any kind of replacement for practical experience in your own home with your own children with their own (ever-changing) needs. I'm starting to question whether my needs might be the missing link for me right now, my actual needs where I am right now vs. what the dream was/is. Thanks to those of you who pointed it out. I've been chewing on it since last night.

It's funny you say that about going into it with confidence. It's hard to explain but even with all my inner conflict and thoughts of switching methods, philosophy, etc., I'm still confident that I can do it and there's no question that it's the right thing. If I had ever had any doubts about homeschooling, I might be totally sunk right now!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I haven't read all of the posts, but not "doing it all" seems to be a theme. :001_smile: I think certain people are cut out for that kind of thing and others (ME ME) are not.

I think I'm beginning to see that I'm in the 3rd category. I used to be cut out for it but I'm not anymore...at least for now. Maybe I'll get there again but I'm going to try to start meeting myself where I am now.

When I began homeschooling (2004/PreK) I was so overwhelmed that I didn't even know where to start. I happened across the WTM and I loved that it told me exactly what I needed to teach and gave me a few options of what I might want to use. Now, I think the only classical that remains evident in my homeschooling is Latin and chronological History.

In that (and a few other areas) I've found that when I'm overwhelmed I need someone to step in and tell me what to do just so that I can get started.

I've got the devil/angel situation on my shoulder. On one side, I'm hearing advice to just get to work and bust it out. On the other side, I'm hearing to just find something that might not be perfect but will make my life easier. The problem is that I don't actually know which side is the devil and which side is the angel. I think I'm going to have to figure that out in the next little while.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
thankfully my husband has always has more relaxed standards for me and my situation (homeschooling and all of the kids) than I had for myself. HE was the one telling me to stop putting so much pressure on myself. This is a man whose livlihood depends on precision. :D:D

:lol: Yes, DH is always wondering what the big deal is, and he doesn't know 10% of what goes on in this head of mine...

Guest Alte Veste Academy
What a fun topic. I'm looking forward to reading the replies.

I've been homeschooling for thirteen years and I am not the same person I was at the beginning of this journey.

When we started, I had a six year old child who was on the autism spectrum and a four year old who was constantly asking the same questions over and over and over and over. I also had a little one on the way.

I was frazzled but determined! Private schooling was not working for our family and in fact, was just as bad as public school. So when my oldest son finished his kindergarten year, we pulled him out of the system and began homeschooling.

We went ABeka all the way because it looked easy to teach yet had the academic content I wanted. That first year, I taught the program...not my child. He did every problem on every worksheet just because it was there. I cringe to think about it.

The next year, we added our second son to our program but this time we used Five In A Row. FIAR and a great group of moms over on the FIAR boards taught me how to use literature to teach my children in a variety of subjects. But I was still stressing my kids out by making them do every problem on every worksheet for language arts and math.

My second child took a long time to learn to read and we eventually put two and two together and discovered that he had an LD as well. So the Lord began "my" education in teaching my children in the way "they," should go...rather than teaching a curriculum. That year, my third son was added to our program. And a several years later, a daughter.

We've gone through so much as a family...and each step the Lord has used to make me a better teacher, mom and wife. We no longer do every problem on the page, nor every worksheet in the book. I no longer see curriculum as a master, but have put it in its rightful place as a tool.

I have learned to relax because, well, there are too many other things to think about. I've learned more lessons than I have time to put down in this reply. And I think that the Lord has different lessons for each individual family.

My oldest is starting college in the fall. So over the years, something went right! I've made mistakes, but somehow it has all worked out. As much as homeschooling has been good for the children, somehow I think the Lord really meant the lesson for me.

Thanks so much for sharing your journey. It does my heart good to hear the stories of people who look back and cringe at the first year(s), if that makes any sense. It seems that learning to relax comes with time.

Maybe I'm a realist - my homeschool hasn't changed much over the years.

Before I began homeschooling I knew that I wanted to give my children a classical education, and that although I am AP in many ways, I do believe that it is my job to impose an education upon the children. Of course I want to have them find their passions, and follow their interests, and light the spark within. But there is plenty of time to do that outside the part of the day I spend teaching them the things *I* think they should learn.

I wanted us to balance rigorous academics with plenty of free time and fun activities. We balance rabbit trails with never wavering from the core. I expect my kids to produce good work, learn well, and do chores.

And yes, I too am lazy, and have had to learn how to compensate for that :)

Since we began I've refined my idea of what a classical education is, but we've stuck to basically the same philosophy and method of homeschooling, and it's working well for us.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Maybe I'm a realist - my homeschool hasn't changed much over the years.

Before I began homeschooling I knew that I wanted to give my children a classical education, and that although I am AP in many ways, I do believe that it is my job to impose an education upon the children. Of course I want to have them find their passions, and follow their interests, and light the spark within. But there is plenty of time to do that outside the part of the day I spend teaching them the things *I* think they should learn.

I wanted us to balance rigorous academics with plenty of free time and fun activities. We balance rabbit trails with never wavering from the core. I expect my kids to produce good work, learn well, and do chores.

And yes, I too am lazy, and have had to learn how to compensate for that :)

Since we began I've refined my idea of what a classical education is, but we've stuck to basically the same philosophy and method of homeschooling, and it's working well for us.

Your post really resonates with me because it is exactly what I wanted and what I thought I would accomplish, never imagining it would be this much of an internal struggle from the start since I'm such a planner and, on paper, had it all figured out. I've heard a lot of people say they don't want to force themselves or their kids into a mold but what if you made the mold? To be sure, what I'm trying to do is fit into a mold I made for myself and, to paraphrase another poster, I'm thinking I need some sanding to fit into it. I've come full circle. What do I sand? The mold or myself? I'm leaning toward a little of both.

To that end, I would love to hear details about how you feel you've compensated for laziness. Again, I've got some exhaustion issues and I've been working on solutions since my melt-down last month. (This actually had nothing to do with homeschooling. I'm not burnt out on homeschooling; I'm actually burnt out on the Army, I think, as OhE alluded.) As far as getting the ball rolling again in the direction I feel we should be headed, I could still really benefit from detailed stories along the lines of "how I became more rigorous" instead of "how I've loosened up" because I think at this point, I'm far too loosey-goosey.

I love to hear both versions because every shared story makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who didn't nail the dream from the start. Thanks to all who have shared. :grouphug:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Kristina, is there a homeschool support group near you to connect with? I think right now you have several things going on, and you're going to have to deal with them one layer at a time. You have unnecessary self-burdening, and that gets relieved as you listen to women you trust, someone a bit ahead of you, and realize you DIDN'T need to do all that stuff. With the ages of kids you have, you could do a lot of fun stuff, a LITTLE BIT of academics (I'm talking 30-40 min. total) and still be doing PLENTY. You're probably feeling way more academic guilt than you need to. Talking with veterans will relieve you of that.

On the time off thing, of course you need it. Some moms work out trades, where you take their littles and then another day they take yours. If you're an extrovert, you have to know that about yourself and MAKE A TIME once a week where you get that energizing from being around people. I'm an extrovert, don't know about you. So when I get around people, I get energized. The more people I'm with, the more energized I get, hehe. When all else fails, shop. Someone in that store is being paid to be there to talk with you! :) Seriously, an extrovert needs conversation. You have to plan for your needs.

The discipline, no-break thing is hard. It is passing, and it WILL get better.

Do you have money in your budget to hire a babysitter? You could do that once a week and go do something different for yourself in that time slot. Get your hair done, whatever.

Don't guilt-trip yourself on that academic stuff. The ONLY vital stuff you're doing at these ages is 15-20 minutes of LA, 15-20 min. of math, and maybe a few read alouds. Beyond that, it's all about giving them time and space to explore their interests and a rich environment that nurtures it. There is no progression you have to be on, no failure if you don't cover some sequence for science or whatever. Go over to the high school board and see. Someone was just enlightening us that according to the co-author of the Apologia Biology, we could have do NO formal science, just interest-driven stuff (kits, etc.) all the way to high school biology!!!! Think about that. It's really easy to take the structure that worked for a sequential person like JW and turn it into this obsessive-compulsive, guilt-loading sequence that we feel like FAILURES if we don't do. The sequences in WTM were JW and SWB's way of accomplishing what some people do naturally with more interest-led, fun-driven stuff. You have GOT to free yourself from that load. You only use the sequence if it helps give you ideas, not to tell yourself you're doing a bad job! Write your OWN sequence. Give your kids each a pick of two topics they want to cover in science, and find books or kits to do each of those. That's 6 months of science right there! Then you pick 2 and spend the last month doing the zoo and local nature sites and you're done for the year. That's plenty of science for those ages.

Well I'm going on a lot, haha. Keep thinking about what you need, what your kids really need vs. what you've been thinking they need based on some book. Free yourself up and find ways to meet your needs. You'll make it! :)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Kristina, is there a homeschool support group near you to connect with? I think right now you have several things going on, and you're going to have to deal with them one layer at a time. You have unnecessary self-burdening, and that gets relieved as you listen to women you trust, someone a bit ahead of you, and realize you DIDN'T need to do all that stuff. With the ages of kids you have, you could do a lot of fun stuff, a LITTLE BIT of academics (I'm talking 30-40 min. total) and still be doing PLENTY. You're probably feeling way more academic guilt than you need to. Talking with veterans will relieve you of that.

There are a few groups in this area but it can still be hard finding like-minded homeschoolers. Actually, if I venture into Austin, there is a WTM group AND a CM group. It's just a stretch to think I'd keep up with it, since it's an hour away. On the other hand, the like-minded veterans would be there... Too many local people are of the "just buy them some workbooks and you'll be fine" mentality. I am not knocking anyone else's choices (especially in my current state) but that is so far from what I want and even from what I'm actually accomplishing now despite the stress that it's hard to imagine I'd get the right kind of support. I am blessed to have great friends to vent to and talk with. It sure would be great if one of those was a few years ahead of me, experience-wise. :D

On the time off thing, of course you need it. Some moms work out trades, where you take their littles and then another day they take yours. If you're an extrovert, you have to know that about yourself and MAKE A TIME once a week where you get that energizing from being around people. I'm an extrovert, don't know about you. So when I get around people, I get energized. The more people I'm with, the more energized I get, hehe. When all else fails, shop. Someone in that store is being paid to be there to talk with you! :) Seriously, an extrovert needs conversation. You have to plan for your needs.

The discipline, no-break thing is hard. It is passing, and it WILL get better.

I'm working the trade situation with a friend. I feel good about that. I'm an oddball, an introvert who's not shy. Being around people drains me but being at home alone with the three kids drains me too so I try to balance it. Ideally, my dear friend from PA, a fellow introvert, would live near me and we could get together to let the kids play. I can picture it now, two lounge chairs side-by-side, both of us sipping iced tea and reading books while the kids play. Oh, I miss her! :lol:

I need to get back to quiet time for the kids during the day. What ever happened to that? Hmm.....

Do you have money in your budget to hire a babysitter? You could do that once a week and go do something different for yourself in that time slot. Get your hair done, whatever.

The money is not as much an issue as finding a trustworthy babysitter. I am working on this and have one very bright prospect. For now, I'm going to be happy to have my swap-sitter.

Don't guilt-trip yourself on that academic stuff. The ONLY vital stuff you're doing at these ages is 15-20 minutes of LA, 15-20 min. of math, and maybe a few read alouds. Beyond that, it's all about giving them time and space to explore their interests and a rich environment that nurtures it. There is no progression you have to be on, no failure if you don't cover some sequence for science or whatever. Go over to the high school board and see. Someone was just enlightening us that according to the co-author of the Apologia Biology, we could have do NO formal science, just interest-driven stuff (kits, etc.) all the way to high school biology!!!! Think about that. It's really easy to take the structure that worked for a sequential person like JW and turn it into this obsessive-compulsive, guilt-loading sequence that we feel like FAILURES if we don't do. The sequences in WTM were JW and SWB's way of accomplishing what some people do naturally with more interest-led, fun-driven stuff. You have GOT to free yourself from that load. You only use the sequence if it helps give you ideas, not to tell yourself you're doing a bad job! Write your OWN sequence. Give your kids each a pick of two topics they want to cover in science, and find books or kits to do each of those. That's 6 months of science right there! Then you pick 2 and spend the last month doing the zoo and local nature sites and you're done for the year. That's plenty of science for those ages.

Well I'm going on a lot, haha. Keep thinking about what you need, what your kids really need vs. what you've been thinking they need based on some book. Free yourself up and find ways to meet your needs. You'll make it! :)

Thanks for the food for thought. I have written my own plans, my own sequence but now I have to decide about freeing myself from that self-imposed load. The kids are happy (and currently oblivious to my suffering, thank goodness). :lol: I would like to keep it that way. We're off school this week and dc are sitting in their floor, emptying and counting the money in their piggy banks. DS7 is trying to see if he has enough money for Luke's Land Speeder and DD5 is trying to see if she has enough for a princess doll. So, yes, they're learning. This is how they learned everything they know from birth on up so for now, relaxing sounds...restful.

True story. "School's OUT for SUMMER!" just started playing in my head... :lol:

I started my home schooling journey by knowing lovely families who home schooled. I grabbed a few books and compared home school to private and public education. I was the girl, who debated Against home schooling in college (a sociology class req’d for education majors) so I needed to be convinced I could provide a solid education; although, I was already witnessing the social education from the families I mentioned, and those results where great. I was overly confident in my abilities b/c I knew I was a good teacher, although I started my family and did not finish school, I knew it was “in” me. Reality check -- I had no idea what I was in for and over time, two things that have greatly changed are my levels of judgement and humility: they’ve kind of switched places. I’m much less judgemental and a lot more humble!

My very first experiences were with a troubled nephew, pulled from public school, and dropped off with me. We went box…6th and 7th grade Alpha Omega…something I would Never do now. I have formed the opinion that boxes are a nice start. They give one a chance at structure and give you a glimpse that home schooling is real work. They’ll get the job done and cover all the topic areas. After a while, though, as you grow, or at least as I grew, the box is too confining and I need to spread my wings…and as my dc entered the schooling picture, I soon realized the box was not for them, either. (I know it IS for others, so no offense if ymv)

A friend whose three boys, ages 6-11, home schooled and passed on to me a ton of great stuff – not that I knew what I had: SWR, KONOS, and a ton of Abeka. (I sold the KONOS yellow book for $2?!?!) I started with 100EZL, Abeka, a home school support group, and a boy who wasn’t really to start school. We, both my eldest and I, cried a lot that first year. If only I knew the great advice so often heard today…RELAX. Heck, we cried enough the second year too. I was so concerned with outdoing the public school system, that I paid little to no attention to the clues of my student. I was simply schooling at home. That has changed a great deal.

I then switched to "I'll create everything myself." That lasted a couple of years, then I realized there is no need for me to reinvent the wheel. Some people have put in the leg work for me! Now, I don't care how it's packaged, so long as it meets our needs...teacher, student, and family needs.

While I still have a core I follow, I am much more attentive to the needs of each student. Those needs are about subject matter, learning style, independent passions, and the need to have life outside of school. My Type-A personality has a tendency to dive right in and be ALL about whatever I’m doing. I have over-schooled to all of our detriment. I am learning, and practicing still, that life goes beyond home schooling and some day, I want us to have a relationship beyond books and numbers. Overall, we’re fairing well there, but I have to keep myself in check so I don’t send us off balance. Who you are as a single person (type A or not) is not the same as who you are as a mother or teacher. In the same respect, who you are as a young mother, may very well change by the time you have teens. It’s not so much that you can’t meet your expectations or that you’ve suddenly become a realist; it’s more that you have changed, but in your mind’s eye, you still see that person from a while back. (OP) You have evolved, you just haven’t accepted it. It took me a while to allow myself to live in that change without fear, guilt, shame, confusion, dread, etc..

As a home schooler, I have realized and received confirmation from many home schoolers that it takes about three years to find your groove in home schooling, to figure out who you are. The thing is, you don’t stop there b/c you will keep growing and you children may not be you…ouch. That hurts, doesn’t it? Just b/c I read The Well Trained Mind and said, “That’s me! I finally found out who I am as a teacher!” didn’t mean it’s who my children were or are. That has led to many times of strife, mostly b/c I’m stubborn and a lil’ slow sometimes at seeing beyond myself. At this point in our schooling, I still balance from totally following TWTM, to doing a generally classic education, with strong flavors of Charlotte Mason in the early years, and the allotment for personal joy, growth, development, and style in the later years. One day you’re cruising along in early elementary school, the next, you’re trying to figure out which Algebra program best suits each of your children. The growth is so far beyond academic…something Really hard to believe as a young home schooler whose consumed with the K-8 boards to find just the right line up…the growth is a part of who you are, who your children are, and who you all hope to be. Really be, not just what you’ve read, who you’ve studied, how well you score on tests or at what level your child is entering college. Initially, there is no way I could fathom that, now I own it…even if I forget its sittin’ on the shelf some days J

So, who I was, was who I needed to be. Like someone else mentioned, we giggle now when we see the newbies stressing about 2nd grade. At this point, we’re also laughing at who we used to be --- that mom stressed about 2nd grade. At some point, what I used was what I was given or found, but who I am now is a master teacher, confident, forever growing, always changing, full of confidence, patience, lesson plans, ideas, I am sure I can take care of K-8; however, at the same time, I’m avoiding the high school board b/c I’m a big chicken, shakin’ in my boots about high school, wondering if I’ll have them ready for college, trying to stay classical, but offering more choice and freedom to my young men, and rising young lady….and I’ll bet there’s a mom over there giggling at me J Rightfully, so, she’s earned that passing grin, I’m sure of it!

So, you see, it’s less about how much you’ll change materials and more about how much you’ll grow. I imagine the majority of us will change a great deal, the question is…will you get better? Will you build solid people, as well as, solid students? Can you get past yourself in order to better serve your children (I’m also lazy, type-a, selfish, scared, sometimes just crazy!)? It appears, from the wonderful community here, that the answer to each of these questions is positive, and in the end, it doesn’t matter What we use, but How Well we use it, both spiritually and academically.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Tina,

I know it must have taken forever to type all that out and I thank you! You really gave me a lot to think about and you flat out nailed it when you said I've already evolved and just don't realize it. Man, that's deep. :lol: I guess that's why I keep saying that I don't know myself because my plan isn't matching our experience. Maybe the person who is trying to execute is no longer the same person who did the planning.

I started my home schooling journey by knowing lovely families who home schooled. I grabbed a few books and compared home school to private and public education. I was the girl, who debated Against home schooling in college (a sociology class req’d for education majors) so I needed to be convinced I could provide a solid education; although, I was already witnessing the social education from the families I mentioned, and those results where great. I was overly confident in my abilities b/c I knew I was a good teacher, although I started my family and did not finish school, I knew it was “in” me. Reality check -- I had no idea what I was in for and over time, two things that have greatly changed are my levels of judgement and humility: they’ve kind of switched places. I’m much less judgemental and a lot more humble!

My very first experiences were with a troubled nephew, pulled from public school, and dropped off with me. We went box…6th and 7th grade Alpha Omega…something I would Never do now. I have formed the opinion that boxes are a nice start. They give one a chance at structure and give you a glimpse that home schooling is real work. They’ll get the job done and cover all the topic areas. After a while, though, as you grow, or at least as I grew, the box is too confining and I need to spread my wings…and as my dc entered the schooling picture, I soon realized the box was not for them, either. (I know it IS for others, so no offense if ymv)

A friend whose three boys, ages 6-11, home schooled and passed on to me a ton of great stuff – not that I knew what I had: SWR, KONOS, and a ton of Abeka. (I sold the KONOS yellow book for $2?!?!) I started with 100EZL, Abeka, a home school support group, and a boy who wasn’t really to start school. We, both my eldest and I, cried a lot that first year. If only I knew the great advice so often heard today…RELAX. Heck, we cried enough the second year too. I was so concerned with outdoing the public school system, that I paid little to no attention to the clues of my student. I was simply schooling at home. That has changed a great deal.

While I still have a core I follow, I am much more attentive to the needs of each student. Those needs are about subject matter, learning style, independent passions, and the need to have life outside of school. My Type-A personality has a tendency to dive right in and be ALL about whatever I’m doing. I have over-schooled to all of our detriment. I am learning, and practicing still, that life goes beyond home schooling and some day, I want us to have a relationship beyond books and numbers. Overall, we’re fairing well there, but I have to keep myself in check so I don’t send us off balance. Who you are as a single person (type A or not) is not the same as who you are as a mother or teacher. In the same respect, who you are as a young mother, may very well change by the time you have teens. It’s not so much that you can’t meet your expectations or that you’ve suddenly become a realist; it’s more that you have changed, but in your mind’s eye, you still see that person from a while back. (OP) You have evolved, you just haven’t accepted it. It took me a while to allow myself to live in that change without fear, guilt, shame, confusion, dread, etc..

As a home schooler, I have realized and received confirmation from many home schoolers that it takes about three years to find your groove in home schooling, to figure out who you are. The thing is, you don’t stop there b/c you will keep growing and you children may not be you…ouch. That hurts, doesn’t it? Just b/c I read The Well Trained Mind and said, “That’s me! I finally found out who I am as a teacher!” didn’t mean it’s who my children were or are. That has led to many times of strife, mostly b/c I’m stubborn and a lil’ slow sometimes at seeing beyond myself. At this point in our schooling, I still balance from totally following TWTM, to doing a generally classic education, with strong flavors of Charlotte Mason in the early years, and the allotment for personal joy, growth, development, and style in the later years. One day you’re cruising along in early elementary school, the next, you’re trying to figure out which Algebra program best suits each of your children. The growth is so far beyond academic…something Really hard to believe as a young home schooler whose consumed with the K-8 boards to find just the right line up…the growth is a part of who you are, who your children are, and who you all hope to be. Really be, not just what you’ve read, who you’ve studied, how well you score on tests or at what level your child is entering college. Initially, there is no way I could fathom that, now I own it…even if I forget its sittin’ on the shelf some days J

So, who I was, was who I needed to be. Like someone else mentioned, we giggle now when we see the newbies stressing about 2nd grade. At this point, we’re also laughing at who we used to be --- that mom stressed about 2nd grade. At some point, what I used was what I was given or found, but who I am now is a master teacher, confident, forever growing, always changing, full of confidence, patience, lesson plans, ideas, I am sure I can take care of K-8; however, at the same time, I’m avoiding the high school board b/c I’m a big chicken, shakin’ in my boots about high school, wondering if I’ll have them ready for college, trying to stay classical, but offering more choice and freedom to my young men, and rising young lady….and I’ll bet there’s a mom over there giggling at me J Rightfully, so, she’s earned that passing grin, I’m sure of it!

So, you see, it’s less about how much you’ll change materials and more about how much you’ll grow. I imagine the majority of us will change a great deal, the question is…will you get better? Will you build solid people, as well as, solid students? Can you get past yourself in order to better serve your children (I’m also lazy, type-a, selfish, scared, sometimes just crazy!)? It appears, from the wonderful community here, that the answer to each of these questions is positive, and in the end, it doesn’t matter What we use, but How Well we use it, both spiritually and academically.

I bolded above what especially spoke to me. You've given me a lot to ponder. Change being inevitable is what I think I might need to relax about and be more open to. Instead of the self-loathing, I could just recognize that maybe I have already changed. I think I am also suffering the effects of over-confidence. I'm sure a big part of that is our lifestyle--how much DH is gone and how much energy that takes out of me that is then not in me for school. Humility is painful. Hopefully it will get easier to take.

Thank you for giving me a lot to contemplate. :001_smile:

We're finishing our 7th year of homeschooling, and there have been several things that have caused a need for change:

Adding Students - when I was teaching just one, I didn't have to think about combining. Now, with 5 students, I look for ways to combine. That eliminates some curricula that might fit me and my children, but there are still plenty of appealing choices available.

My confidence in my ability to homeschool - at the beginning, when I was less confident and needed hand-holding, I needed those programs with daily schedules. I started out using Sonlight. Although I don't use it now, the programs I use are similar to Sonlight - a literature-based history program and a science program with living/high-interest books and everything-already-there science kits. However, now I use a history program with a schedule that is much more flexible/tweakable. I discovered I like to pull together my own science curriculum with several different spines and science kits I choose to go along with them.

Discovering my children's learning styles - I've got at least a couple of children who need things presented very incrementally and with lots of repetition. I've switched from good curricula of my choice to other things that are a better fit for them (still good curricula, just not following my original idea of how best to present the material)

Other life changes - moving overseas has placed demands on me I would not have in the US. We have made changes just to accomodate the more limited time I have to homeschool. That has meant moving from things that I really liked (RightStart Math, Classical Writing) to things my children could do more independently. I discovered - gasp! - that those independent curricula, besides giving me time for those other responsibilitiess, were also a better fit for my children. So now I look for some things that each of them can do independently.

The right time - I've wanted to begin Greek and Latin with my children for several years, but due to other obligations could not include those subjects in our homeschool. This year my oldest asked to study those languages, and is doing them pretty independently.

I'm still changing things - growing as a person and adapting to circumstances. My two oldest boys (in 2nd and K) are very different than their older sisters (currently in 3rd and 6th), and I'll just have to keep evaluating how well the things we choose work with them.

Blessings,

Laura

I've just begun to read WHEN CHILDREN LOVE TO LEARN; A Practical application of Charlotte mason's Philosophy for Today by Elaine Cooper. I think Karen Anne posted it somewhere. Anyway, the first chapter applies so much to what we've been talking about on this thread.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I've just begun to read WHEN CHILDREN LOVE TO LEARN; A Practical application of Charlotte mason's Philosophy for Today by Elaine Cooper. I think Karen Anne posted it somewhere. Anyway, the first chapter applies so much to what we've been talking about on this thread.

:lol:

That is hilarious because that is my all-time favorite CM book! Last night I grabbed it right before I went to bed and put it on my nightstand as a sort of lovey. :lol:

I've just cleaned up the dinner dishes and will grab it and take it out to my swing while the kids play. Thank you so much for posting this! I need a reminder; I guess I somehow felt it last night too.

I absolutely LOVE this book. I read it last month for the second time. For some reason it spoke much louder to me the second time around. I found this book to be so inspiring.

We're finishing our 7th year of homeschooling, and there have been several things that have caused a need for change:

Adding Students - when I was teaching just one, I didn't have to think about combining. Now, with 5 students, I look for ways to combine. That eliminates some curricula that might fit me and my children, but there are still plenty of appealing choices available.

Discovering my children's learning styles - I've got at least a couple of children who need things presented very incrementally and with lots of repetition. I've switched from good curricula of my choice to other things that are a better fit for them (still good curricula, just not following my original idea of how best to present the material)

Blessings,

Laura

I used to think that I was such a flake because I couldn't seem to stay with one method. I see now, though, that my changing methods always came when we had to fold in a new child and I would have to figure out how to teach them in the way that they learned best. THis was very encouraging to me. I have no more children to fold in so maybe things will go a bit smoother. One can only hope. :D

Guest mrsjamiesouth

My Ideal would be : a Martha Stewart in High Heels. I would never raise my voice or tell my children to go watch TV so I could get some quiet time. In fact, we would not own tvs! I would harvest my vegetable garden for our meals and gather fresh eggs in the morning. In my imaginings I bake a loaf of bread early every morning from freshly milled wheat and have the breakfast table ready when the kids rise at 7am (more like 10 in reality.) School would involve creativity with learning games and crafts. The children would sit in a nice, quiet semi-circle around me while I read stories that enthrall them. My sons would always know the right answers and they would impress people with their vast knowledge.

I think there is nothing wrong with having a High Goal, but you cannot dwell on how far you are from that. I work on little things at a time. We pulled our oldest out of public school at the end of 1st and did School at Home. I used the K12 program the first year. Then, I went radical and did Charlotte Mason. I was extremely laid back the last 2 years and even decided to try better late than early with my 5 year old. I did nothing really other than read to him this year. We did do 1st grade math, but he taught himself all his numbers.

I totally agree with the moms who said that they had to learn its not what you like, but what your children like and what works for them. I finally found our niche towards the end of this year. Loved TWTM, it really gave me some great ideas to implement in our school. For next year we will be eclectic. I am using some CM and some Classical. I agree that the 3rd year of homeschooling was really my "AHA" moment!

Who you are as a single person (type A or not) is not the same as who you are as a mother or teacher. In the same respect, who you are as a young mother, may very well change by the time you have teens. It’s not so much that you can’t meet your expectations or that you’ve suddenly become a realist; it’s more that you have changed, but in your mind’s eye, you still see that person from a while back. (OP) You have evolved, you just haven’t accepted it. It took me a while to allow myself to live in that change without fear, guilt, shame, confusion, dread, etc..

As a home schooler, I have realized and received confirmation from many home schoolers that it takes about three years to find your groove in home schooling, to figure out who you are. The thing is, you don’t stop there b/c you will keep growing and you children may not be you…ouch. That hurts, doesn’t it? Just b/c I read The Well Trained Mind and said, “That’s me! I finally found out who I am as a teacher!†didn’t mean it’s who my children were or are. That has led to many times of strife, mostly b/c I’m stubborn and a lil’ slow sometimes at seeing beyond myself. At this point in our schooling, I still balance from totally following TWTM, to doing a generally classic education, with strong flavors of Charlotte Mason in the early years, and the allotment for personal joy, growth, development, and style in the later years. One day you’re cruising along in early elementary school, the next, you’re trying to figure out which Algebra program best suits each of your children. The growth is so far beyond academic…something Really hard to believe as a young home schooler whose consumed with the K-8 boards to find just the right line up…the growth is a part of who you are, who your children are, and who you all hope to be. Really be, not just what you’ve read, who you’ve studied, how well you score on tests or at what level your child is entering college. Initially, there is no way I could fathom that, now I own it…even if I forget its sittin’ on the shelf some days J

WOW! This is so perfect & so humbling. I will be thinking about these for a while.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
My confidence in my ability to homeschool - at the beginning, when I was less confident and needed hand-holding, I needed those programs with daily schedules.

I've really been thinking about all this all yesterday and today. What you're saying is very similar to what Brindee said and I'm thinking about it hard. I think I probably need hand-holding and the accountability that comes from having a daily schedule for myself. I had one early on and it flew out the window. I know all of us differ in our needs but I think I kissed this one goodbye far too soon, before I was in the habit of keeping any schedule. I think once you're in the habit of keeping a schedule, it doesn't matter so much if you stick to one precisely. On the other hand, my problem might have been feeling too confident before I had formed the habit of following a schedule.

My Ideal would be : a Martha Stewart in High Heels. I would never raise my voice or tell my children to go watch TV so I could get some quiet time. In fact, we would not own tvs! I would harvest my vegetable garden for our meals and gather fresh eggs in the morning. In my imaginings I bake a loaf of bread early every morning from freshly milled wheat and have the breakfast table ready when the kids rise at 7am (more like 10 in reality.) School would involve creativity with learning games and crafts. The children would sit in a nice, quiet semi-circle around me while I read stories that enthrall them. My sons would always know the right answers and they would impress people with their vast knowledge.

I think there is nothing wrong with having a High Goal, but you cannot dwell on how far you are from that.

Well, I'm not quite that hard on myself. ;) I will say that the kids are enthralled by stories daily and we did start a garden here this year. Our corn and peas are coming in nicely! :D

My Pollyana problem is more that I've played "the glad game" for too long, poo-pooing my own failings, reassuring myself that the kids are happy as clams (which they kind of are), and getting further and further off track. I can find things to be glad about all day long (and boy am I ever grateful for that) but if I'm becoming The Accidental Unschooler in the process, that needs to be a wake-up call. So, yes, I kind of feel like I need to dwell on how far I've come from my plans, even if only to change the plans and find my way back on a new track. I mean, we have to be on a track of one kind of another or we'll never move forward.

I work on little things at a time. We pulled our oldest out of public school at the end of 1st and did School at Home. I used the K12 program the first year. Then, I went radical and did Charlotte Mason. I was extremely laid back the last 2 years and even decided to try better late than early with my 5 year old. I did nothing really other than read to him this year. We did do 1st grade math, but he taught himself all his numbers.

Better Late Than Early is also on my nightstand, right under When Children Love to Learn. WTM would be there too if it wasn't on loan to a friend. :lol:

I totally agree with the moms who said that they had to learn its not what you like, but what your children like and what works for them. I finally found our niche towards the end of this year. Loved TWTM, it really gave me some great ideas to implement in our school. For next year we will be eclectic. I am using some CM and some Classical. I agree that the 3rd year of homeschooling was really my "AHA" moment!

I am feeling like it's got to be kind of 50/50 my needs and the children's needs...or maybe 100/100? It has to work well for all of us. If the captain is incapable of steering the ship, you'll just be adrift. If the passengers won't get on board, what's the point? :001_huh:

I'm looking forward to my third year then. :lol: Thanks for sharing your story. The recurring theme seems to be that everyone has these searching feelings in the early years. I better get comfortable with them, I guess.

I laugh about this now, but the advice I heard starting out was to RELAX, which was the one thing I simply could not do. I heard that through the years, and watched as several new crops of hsers were told to RELAX, and almost none of them could, either.

I am protected from this by working full time. I know I would beat myself into the ground (I happen to thrive on stress, but have the good fortune to have real challenges instead of being a drama queen and making them up), but with my working full time, kiddo has the day with a very happy-go-lucky hubby who has a nose for fun. I hope, from the two of us, he learns to work and play hard, both.

Sometimes I feel a little down, reading about all the things everyone else does, that they have a morning to hit the books (morning is when I'm at my best), not coming home after 9 hours up to start up as much as I can get done before hunger and tiredness makes me stop.

But my time limitation is a "governor", a plastic wall I can push upon, instead of upon my son.

I then switched to "I'll create everything myself." That lasted a couple of years, then I realized there is no need for me to reinvent the wheel. Some people have put in the leg work for me! Now, I don't care how it's packaged, so long as it meets our needs...teacher, student, and family needs.

As a home schooler, I have realized and received confirmation from many home schoolers that it takes about three years to find your groove in home schooling, to figure out who you are. The thing is, you don’t stop there b/c you will keep growing and you children may not be you…ouch. That hurts, doesn’t it? Just b/c I read The Well Trained Mind and said, “That’s me! I finally found out who I am as a teacher!†didn’t mean it’s who my children were or are. That has led to many times of strife, mostly b/c I’m stubborn and a lil’ slow sometimes at seeing beyond myself. At this point in our schooling, I still balance from totally following TWTM, to doing a generally classic education, with strong flavors of Charlotte Mason in the early years, and the allotment for personal joy, growth, development, and style in the later years. One day you’re cruising along in early elementary school, the next, you’re trying to figure out which Algebra program best suits each of your children. The growth is so far beyond academic…something Really hard to believe as a young home schooler whose consumed with the K-8 boards to find just the right line up…the growth is a part of who you are, who your children are, and who you all hope to be. Really be, not just what you’ve read, who you’ve studied, how well you score on tests or at what level your child is entering college. Initially, there is no way I could fathom that, now I own it…even if I forget its sittin’ on the shelf some days J

So true! Loved this, Tina. :)

Reading through this thread has been a blessing for me. I often find myself frustrated with how our schooling is going, not so much in the materials and curriculum I have chosen, but in the implementation. Our schooling has ended up being much more relaxed than I ever intended, and even though I know many on this board would consider that a good thing, for me it is not, really.

I have made many great plans and have a vision for how I want to school our children, but more often than not we end up just squeezing in the basics, and not getting to the meatier, more exciting, supplemental materials that made the idea of homeschooling so exciting for me to begin with. I know I have to give myself grace here, because first we had a baby, then made a big move, then had another baby. But, quite frankly, I know other large families, and other families with more challenges to face than we have, and they just seem to have it so much more together than I do!

I know that my kids are young, and fortunately my oldest child is truly a self-taught boy- he reads constantly, especially loves non-fiction, and even when we end up taking weeks off from formal schooling, he continues teaching himself and soaking in information like a sponge. Honestly, he's taught me a lot about being more relaxed and definitely about allowing my children the opportunities to learn organically and not so structured. That said though, I have fallen down on the job in the structured learning area, and I am currently working on plans to get us more on track. Because there are so many incredible things I want to expose my children to, and I know that these years are fleeting, and I will only have their interest for so long.

I am a big fan of the WTM and of the classical approach to schooling. In fact, we started out with A Beak for the same reasons most do, because I was nervous to go it "alone," but when I was introduced to the WTM, it spoke to me powerfully and I knew it was what I had been looking for. We've tailored the guidelines to meet the needs and desires of our family, but I've also found a few things that really help me get it done, at least closer to the way I want to.

First, we really like to delve into science and history, and I have finally resigned myself to the fact that I just cannot do both at the same time. So we've started alternating science and history topics, spending several weeks or even months in one area, before breaking from history and going into science for a while. My sons really love both of these subjects, but I was driving myself nuts trying to do prep for each subject and then be able to spend the time each day on both on top of other subjects. So now, if we want to spend several hours digging into our history and reading supplemental books and doing hands-on projects, I don't feel so guilty about the time I am taking away from other subjects.

The other thing that has helped me tremendously is schooling year-round and not worrying so much about labels. Schooling year round means that we can work when we can, and not stress out so much about the times we take off. We also live in a place with very hot summers, so we get a lot of school work done in the summer while sheltering in. Which is usually good, except that our baby was born in the middle of last summer, so our typically best months of work were blown, and we've been playing "catch up" ever since... with a newborn and a toddler. :lol:

Technically, we are now about a year "behind" in history and science, mostly because I could not bring myself to just do it half way when things were so stressful. But now, I am just glad we are studying in these areas again, and tell myself that it really doesn't matter in the long run what grade they are "supposed" to be studying Egypt in. Especially because we are learning things that I was *never* taught in school, not in 2nd grade, or 1st grade, or EVER. I'd rather take it slower and go deeper, especially since my boys are enjoying it so much, than to speed things up, and merely cover the highlights, simply to get where we are supposed to be.

One of the main reasons we decided to homeschool our children is so they could receive the kind of rigorous education that we believe is so lacking in the public schools today. I graduated #2 in my high school school class and pretty much breezed through all my schooling, and now as an adult I am appalled at the yawning gaps in my education. It is frustrating to me, because I remember all the time wasted on twaddle, when I could have been exposed to the classics and philosophy and logic. I am determined not to allow my children to miss out on the opportunity to live up to their full potential. I do believe it is doable, feeding my children's thirsts for knowledge without quenching their spirits. During these challenging times, I have learned to appreciate more the value of free play and exploration. I can see in my oldest, that he needs more structure, more consistently, because he's become accustomed to not having it, to the point that he doesn't start out willingly. My goal in the next few months is to help him to more readily embrace the ideal of "work while you work" and not just "play while you play." :001_smile:

I'm not sure if I really answered the OP's questions well, but I feel better now!

Tina,

I know it must have taken forever to type all that out and I thank you! You really gave me a lot to think about and you flat out nailed it when you said I've already evolved and just don't realize it. Man, that's deep. :lol: I guess that's why I keep saying that I don't know myself because my plan isn't matching our experience. Maybe the person who is trying to execute is no longer the same person who did the planning.

Instead of the self-loathing, I could just recognize that maybe I have already changed. I think I am also suffering the effects of over-confidence. Humility is painful. Hopefully it will get easier to take.

Thank you for giving me a lot to contemplate. :001_smile:

You're welcome. It was for me just as much. It helps me to get my thoughts on paper. I've bolded a few things b/c I can SO RELATE to them. Humility is painful, and while it does get easier to take, it still hurts :glare: I suppose that is part of the point. Someone as confident as you or I would probably not take it if it didn't hurt...we're stubborn that way!

My confidence in my ability to homeschool - at the beginning, when I was less confident and needed hand-holding, I needed those programs with daily schedules. I started out using Sonlight. Although I don't use it now, the programs I use are similar to Sonlight - a literature-based history program and a science program with living/high-interest books and everything-already-there science kits. However, now I use a history program with a schedule that is much more flexible/tweakable. I discovered I like to pull together my own science curriculum with several different spines and science kits I choose to go along with them.

I'm still changing things - growing as a person and adapting to circumstances. My two oldest boys (in 2nd and K) are very different than their older sisters (currently in 3rd and 6th), and I'll just have to keep evaluating how well the things we choose work with them.

Blessings,

Laura

:iagree: Great post. These are changes that life has brought about for us. Family size and stage really does make a difference in our schooling. I have to search for multi-level friendliness. Period. Otherwise, I'd juggle 'til I dropped the ball, then we'd be playing all day and never schooling. Then I just have to tweak a bit so I can still meet the needs of my students. So, it is a balance b/t my needs and theirs, but I have found that with a little effort and understanding, the balance can be as elaborate and amazing as a clown on a ball, in the circus, balance bowling pins....did I just call myself a clown?:D

For next year we will be eclectic. I am using some CM and some Classical. I agree that the 3rd year of homeschooling was really my "AHA" moment!

I'm so there too....I wish I was June Cleaver. I love her. I.just.can't.help.it!

I am protected from this by working full time.

But my time limitation is a "governor", a plastic wall I can push upon, instead of upon my son.

That was an amazing comment. One I will remember. Much wisdom. What testimony that every situation, every dynamic, can be used as a strong teaching tool for the teacher. THank you for sharing that.

Reading through this thread has been a blessing for me. I often find myself frustrated with how our schooling is going, not so much in the materials and curriculum I have chosen, but in the implementation. Our schooling has ended up being much more relaxed than I ever intended, and even though I know many on this board would consider that a good thing, for me it is not, really.

I have made many great plans and have a vision for how I want to school our children, but more often than not we end up just squeezing in the basics, and not getting to the meatier, more exciting, supplemental materials that made the idea of homeschooling so exciting for me to begin with. I know I have to give myself grace here, because first we had a baby, then made a big move, then had another baby. But, quite frankly, I know other large families, and other families with more challenges to face than we have, and they just seem to have it so much more together than I do!

I know that my kids are young, and fortunately my oldest child is truly a self-taught boy- he reads constantly, especially loves non-fiction, and even when we end up taking weeks off from formal schooling, he continues teaching himself and soaking in information like a sponge. Honestly, he's taught me a lot about being more relaxed and definitely about allowing my children the opportunities to learn organically and not so structured. That said though, I have fallen down on the job in the structured learning area, and I am currently working on plans to get us more on track. Because there are so many incredible things I want to expose my children to, and I know that these years are fleeting, and I will only have their interest for so long.

I am a big fan of the WTM and of the classical approach to schooling. In fact, we started out with A Beak for the same reasons most do, because I was nervous to go it "alone," but when I was introduced to the WTM, it spoke to me powerfully and I knew it was what I had been looking for. We've tailored the guidelines to meet the needs and desires of our family, but I've also found a few things that really help me get it done, at least closer to the way I want to.

First, we really like to delve into science and history, and I have finally resigned myself to the fact that I just cannot do both at the same time. So we've started alternating science and history topics, spending several weeks or even months in one area, before breaking from history and going into science for a while. My sons really love both of these subjects, but I was driving myself nuts trying to do prep for each subject and then be able to spend the time each day on both on top of other subjects. So now, if we want to spend several hours digging into our history and reading supplemental books and doing hands-on projects, I don't feel so guilty about the time I am taking away from other subjects.

The other thing that has helped me tremendously is schooling year-round and not worrying so much about labels. Schooling year round means that we can work when we can, and not stress out so much about the times we take off. We also live in a place with very hot summers, so we get a lot of school work done in the summer while sheltering in. Which is usually good, except that our baby was born in the middle of last summer, so our typically best months of work were blown, and we've been playing "catch up" ever since... with a newborn and a toddler. :lol:

Technically, we are now about a year "behind" in history and science, mostly because I could not bring myself to just do it half way when things were so stressful. But now, I am just glad we are studying in these areas again, and tell myself that it really doesn't matter in the long run what grade they are "supposed" to be studying Egypt in. Especially because we are learning things that I was *never* taught in school, not in 2nd grade, or 1st grade, or EVER. I'd rather take it slower and go deeper, especially since my boys are enjoying it so much, than to speed things up, and merely cover the highlights, simply to get where we are supposed to be.

One of the main reasons we decided to homeschool our children is so they could receive the kind of rigorous education that we believe is so lacking in the public schools today. I graduated #2 in my high school school class and pretty much breezed through all my schooling, and now as an adult I am appalled at the yawning gaps in my education. It is frustrating to me, because I remember all the time wasted on twaddle, when I could have been exposed to the classics and philosophy and logic. I am determined not to allow my children to miss out on the opportunity to live up to their full potential. I do believe it is doable, feeding my children's thirsts for knowledge without quenching their spirits. During these challenging times, I have learned to appreciate more the value of free play and exploration. I can see in my oldest, that he needs more structure, more consistently, because he's become accustomed to not having it, to the point that he doesn't start out willingly. My goal in the next few months is to help him to more readily embrace the ideal of "work while you work" and not just "play while you play." :001_smile:

I'm not sure if I really answered the OP's questions well, but I feel better now!

:grouphug: I know what it means to add and feel behind. I know what it feels like when the goals meet the frustration and then the reality of your situation is not the ideal for the master plan, yet we carry on. I also know what it means to find the peace, no matter where you are. Great post. Thank you for sharing. There is a place where relax and rigor meet happily. I *think* we've come to that place this year and I see the benefits. What a great thread!

If I could be totally selfish, this is how I would be. I would LOVE it. All of that accomplishment! And, it would do nothing but feed my pride. :glare: But I still wanna be that way. :glare::glare: Though I remember all too well how in trying to achieve that, I tore apart my family. I remember when I wouldn't let my kids put a blanket on the floor because it would get dirty. I was a kill joy. But those were my goals, and all I saw was my OWN sense of pride and accomplishment in meeting them, not the damage it would do to my kids. So although I seem willy nilly, all over the place and without guidelines at all, I had to find balance.

I started schooling all year. I had to. We came up against too many happenings (selling out house, finding another, trying to move and all of the stress that entails-and this when I had a toddler). They're on track with the basics-just the basics. When we get settled in (See the quoted portion as to my 'move in' plan. I'm sure reality will knock the wind out of me) I'm going to have to start filling in. But filling in can be a race, too. The catch up race. I don't want that-where I just cram missed stuff down their throats. I want to go deeply where they lead. If at the end of this journey they have the same gaping holes in their schooling that I did, if they hate to read, if they hate to learn and are not autodidacts, then I will have miserably failed.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Yes! This! When I look at everything I've picked and intended to do, there is nothing that isn't working based on its merits, the dc's reactions to the material, etc. Whatever isn't working isn't working solely because of implementation, or lack thereof...

Well, you're right about needing to give yourself grace because that's a lot of big stuff. Homeschooling with babies would be a huge challenge for me, what with my incredible love for uninterrupted sleep and all. :tongue_smilie:

On the plans and vision and not getting to the more exciting supplemental stuff, I get that. You put it exactly right when you said this is what made the idea of homeschooling so exciting in the first place. I have many reasons for homeschooling but providing my kids with a truly joyous education absolutely tops the list. Joy. Must incorporate the joy...

I know a lot of people have struggled with the exact opposite problem. Many have said so in posts in this thread. They started out hard core and killed some joy by cracking the whip. Well, surprisingly, I think there's another way to kill joy and that is by doing too little and making them feel like school's no big deal. I haven't burned them out. I just haven't lit a spark (and here that lovely anti-bucket-filling, pro-spark-lighting quote was my favorite for years, too!). Maybe it's an easier error to fix? I hope so.

DS7 is the same and DD5 seems to be following in his path. I am very lucky for their quick and relatively early reading abilities but now I feel like I am guilty of coasting. Ouch.

I will say that in regards to only having their interest for so long, I'm looking for some magical way to step up the intentional schooling while maintaining the kids' self-teaching, because I want them to be able to keep their own interest in learning new things. For me, that's kind of the long-term point of an education. At some point, I hope to become a guide instead of a teacher. But baby steps!

Warning: Major CM/WTM rambling ahead...

Here is where I'm doing the most soul-searching. I remember falling in love with CM. Read every book I could get my hands on. Loved it all. But. All the CM programs I was looking into were hearkening back to olden times a bit too much for my tastes and at first, it didn't really occur to me to make up my own so I kept searching for a perfect fit. I heard a lot about the WTM so I bought it and loved it! I loved the SOTW books, the modern picture books and the old classics, science beginning in early elementary instead of just nature study, the gradual skill progression similar to CM, etc. So, I thought I'd merge the two.

I've been thinking about all this so hard for the past two days and I'm realizing that the things that are giving me stress are those that are different from my initial CM love. For example, FLL is not getting done. CM doesn't introduce grammar until 3rd grade but somehow I subconsciously seem to now have it in my mind that combining the two philosophies means doing what both of the programs say. Oh, now there's a light bulb moment for me! Instead of just realizing I'm more CM than WTM, I'm feeling guilty for not getting the grammar on the table ala WTM.

It's interesting that When Children Love to Learn was mentioned. I discovered this book after I found the WTM and I think I would have benefited enormously if, at that particular developmental time for me, I had found it instead of the WTM. WTM was a breath of fresh air for me, as it was not mired in antiquity the way that all my CM books were. I think I latched onto that and just happened to find comfort in the inclusion of some subjects at earlier ages because then I could have that feeling that I wasn't going off too far in left field with CM. If I had found When Children Love to Learn at that time instead, I think I would have felt the same breath of fresh air because the book strongly advocates the inclusion of modern books and resources that I felt were missing from all the other CM stuff out there. That was the book that made me feel like I could make my own CM education but by the time I read it, I was already cross-breeding it with WTM in my head. :lol:

OK, I'm sure by now I'm rambling/babbling waaaaaay too much to be interesting to anyone else so I'm going to finish up the rest of my thought processes in my head. :tongue_smilie:

Aimee, I also hear you about the Texas summers. I originally planned for 6 weeks off in the summer and periodic 1-2 week breaks throughout the rest of the year. I'm thinking afternoons in the summer are a great time to come in to enjoy the a/c and get some schoolwork done. I also really like the idea of not losing ground by breaking for 2-3 months. Time will tell whether 6 weeks will be a long enough break for me though, you know?

Well, I kind of feel like we had a nice chat so that was lovely! Thanks!

I agree about keeping the kids home to give them a more rigorous education. As I said above, it's also about having a more joyous education, not just box checking and memorizing. It sounds like we had very similar school experiences. I also did very well but was a classic memorize/regurgitate kind of girl except for the subjects I really cared about.

Much to think about...

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Great thread. Has given me plenty to think about :)

Glad it's provoking thought in others too. I'm getting a headache from all the thinking but it must be done. :lol:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I haven't replied to this thread b/c I am philosophized out! But, my simple answer.......

It keeps getting bigger! :lol: ;)

I think I'm about to get philosophized out too! It's exhausting putting this much thought into your own failings! I think I'll simmer for a while and then try to extract a bottom line solution for my next step.

Y

I know a lot of people have struggled with the exact opposite problem. Many have said so in posts in this thread. They started out hard core and killed some joy by cracking the whip. Well, surprisingly, I think there's another way to kill joy and that is by doing too little and making them feel like school's no big deal. I haven't burned them out. I just haven't lit a spark (and here that lovely anti-bucket-filling, pro-spark-lighting quote was my favorite for years, too!). Maybe it's an easier error to fix? I hope so.

I think it will be MUCH easier to fix. Building the right way is normally easier than tearing down, resetting the foundation and rebuilding. *g*

Warning: Major CM/WTM rambling ahead...

Here is where I'm doing the most soul-searching. I remember falling in love with CM. Read every book I could get my hands on. Loved it all. But. All the CM programs I was looking into were hearkening back to olden times a bit too much for my tastes and at first, it didn't really occur to me to make up my own so I kept searching for a perfect fit. I heard a lot about the WTM so I bought it and loved it! I loved the SOTW books, the modern picture books and the old classics, science beginning in early elementary instead of just nature study, the gradual skill progression similar to CM, etc. So, I thought I'd merge the two.

If you read WHEN CHILDREN LOVE TO READ, the first chapter, she especially says to look at what is published every year, that there are good NEW books that we should be considering. Reading that was almost like giving me permission to break out of the old books mold.

I've been thinking about all this so hard for the past two days and I'm realizing that the things that are giving me stress are those that are different from my initial CM love. For example, FLL is not getting done. CM doesn't introduce grammar until 3rd grade but somehow I subconsciously seem to now have it in my mind that combining the two philosophies means doing what both of the programs say. Oh, now there's a light bulb moment for me! Instead of just realizing I'm more CM than WTM, I'm feeling guilty for not getting the grammar on the table ala WTM.

I was really astounded to read in WHEN CHILDREN... that CM started grammar MUCH later than I was told to start (CMs Simply grammar was for gr 4-8). My kids had FINISHED Simply Grammar by 4th grade. Looking back I think I should have waited-they hated it, they didn't have enough reading and writing under them to really understand WHY. I mean, when we read I point out all of the punctuation, they know it, but I built on too fast.

It's interesting that When Children Love to Learn was mentioned. I discovered this book after I found the WTM and I think I would have benefited enormously if, at that particular developmental time for me, I had found it instead of the WTM. WTM was a breath of fresh air for me, as it was not mired in antiquity the way that all my CM books were. I think I latched onto that and just happened to find comfort in the inclusion of some subjects at earlier ages because then I could have that feeling that I wasn't going off too far in left field with CM. If I had found When Children Love to Learn at that time instead, I think I would have felt the same breath of fresh air because the book strongly advocates the inclusion of modern books and resources that I felt were missing from all the other CM stuff out there. That was the book that made me feel like I could make my own CM education but by the time I read it, I was already cross-breeding it with WTM in my head. :lol:

YES! I know exactly how you feel. I don't think they're mutually exclusive-both ways of teaching-but I fell into that I have to do it BOTH, too.

I haven't replied to this thread b/c I am philosophized out! But, my simple answer.......

It keeps getting bigger! :lol: ;)

Ain't THAT the truth!

Your posts helped so much though, so thank you for getting all of that philosophizing out. :D

Guest Alte Veste Academy
If you read WHEN CHILDREN LOVE TO READ, the first chapter, she especially says to look at what is published every year, that there are good NEW books that we should be considering. Reading that was almost like giving me permission to break out of the old books mold.

The first review on this page... I wrote it...almost 2 years ago. I sure sounded like I had it all figured out. :blushing: I vividly remember that feeling of freedom.

That book (starting with chapter 1, which I did re-read on the swing last night), is dog-eared, underlined, starred, and littered with happy faced exclamation points. (I kid you not.)

Yet, still I attempted to cross-breed WTM and CM by planning it all. As I struggle to remember my thought process at the time, I was probably going to inadvertently do WTM but in a CM way, which is theoretically possible except for the fact that some of the stuff from WTM that comforted me (earlier science and grammar, for example) are just not CM. They can be right for you but they're not CM. There's a measure of relief that comes from doing grammar with the younger set, a feeling like you're on track with the "typical" progression.

Yes, WTM and CM can work together and I still plan to include aspects of both. However, you're exactly right when you say that CM starts stuff later. If I'm more CM (and I think I am) then I should honor that gene in my HS breeding program. I'm ultimately aiming to find what so many here have--the comfortable feel of finding not WTM, CM, etc. but rather, finding myself.

I'm still relatively "young" as a homeschooler... we are finishing our 5th year if you include K4.

I am more contemplating change for the next couple of years than able to report on what those changes will bring. I can see that *I* have changed, and much of my fear or trepidation are gone.

I chose packaged programs in the beginning, because I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I felt I needed a schedule to make sure everything got done.

Now I am moving away from the schedule-driven programs (though I still bought packages for next year because I love the materials chosen and that research saves me time hunting up my own titles). We have a rhythm now, and I no longer fear that we won't fit something in if I don't have a prescribed schedule. I feel liberated at the thought of deciding for myself when to do any given activity and pacing our studies to suit our life. I love the idea of never being behind because we will just do the next thing on my list.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm still relatively "young" as a homeschooler... we are finishing our 5th year if you include K4.

I am more contemplating change for the next couple of years than able to report on what those changes will bring. I can see that *I* have changed, and much of my fear or trepidation are gone.

I chose packaged programs in the beginning, because I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I felt I needed a schedule to make sure everything got done.

Now I am moving away from the schedule-driven programs (though I still bought packages for next year because I love the materials chosen and that research saves me time hunting up my own titles). We have a rhythm now, and I no longer fear that we won't fit something in if I don't have a prescribed schedule. I feel liberated at the thought of deciding for myself when to do any given activity and pacing our studies to suit our life. I love the idea of never being behind because we will just do the next thing on my list.

Jennifer,

Thank you so much for sharing! I remember watching your love for WinterPromise when I first joined the boards. I wanted so badly to love it too! It is interesting how the same theme is repeating, how the schedule was a help to you when you were starting out and now you're confident going it alone now that you have more experience under your belt. These stories are very inspirational to me. :001_smile:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
And that is the point of this thread...for you to find yourself! You just needed to talk it out.:grouphug: We might be sisters.

Yes. Thank you so much for talking with me! :grouphug: