Menu

The thing about homeschooling music.....

I'm trying to figure out what our goal should be.

Right now I'm teaching both my girls to read music. The oldest one I'm definitely going to begin teaching an instrument, the other one... we'll see how it goes. Maybe next year for her. I really want them to learn to read music and play instruments. Not only for the joy, and personal/educational benefits, of being able to play, but also because they will hopefully be able to use it to get a band scholarship for college. But to prepare them for college band, I'm not sure how we need to go about this.

When I was in school, from Jr. High up we did pretty much the same thing every year. First was band camp to get ready for marching season. Then after marching season was the Christmas Parade and Christmas Concert. Then we came back from break, worked on competition. After that we spent the rest of the year working really hard for end of the year symphony.

See, we had something to achieve, something to measure out success by.

If I homeschool music, what will we have instead? None of the schools around here have band, so even if they were in school they still wouldn't get the band experience. But I'm having a hard time imagining what learning music should be like without band, without concerts and competitions. How do I keep it alive and fun for them?

How old are your kids? Most schools do not start band until 5th grade.

This is what we do for music.

K & 1st grade - we learn some simple songs to sing, and learn to clap rhythms, to tell when a pitch is higher and lower, patterns in music etc. (I use a Kodaly book for this).

2nd grade - 6th: We learn to read music by learning to play the recorder. We use the Windsong recorder series for this. We also do some round singing and simple harmony.

7th and up: They can choose an instrument. Ds (7th) is starting to learn classical guitar.

My ultimate goals - learning to read music, to be able to do simple harmony and to be able to take music further if they were to choose to do so.

We also learn some basic music history and appreciation as part of our history.

Not only for the joy, and personal/educational benefits, of being able to play, but also because they will hopefully be able to use it to get a band scholarship for college. But to prepare them for college band, I'm not sure how we need to go about this.

Most college scholarships for music are for a particular instrument, not something general like band or orchestra. How easy it is to win a scholarship varies by instrument--flute is highly competitive, with some large schools only accepting 3-4 new players per year, bassoon is much less competitive, and schools seek players to round out their ensembles.

The most important aspect of preparing for a college scholarship is to be very good at your chosen instrument. Depending on which schools you would like to attend, you may be competing with students who have had 12 years of private instruction, practiced a minimum of 2 hours per day through high school, auditioned for and performed regularly in youth orchestras and wind ensembles, and attend a number of summer-long music festivals. Dd #2 has recently finished her college auditions for violin, and I was surprised how many of these super prepared/very good players were out there, and that they turned up auditioning at schools not necessarily highly ranked for their music programs.

Study with good teachers--those networking connections are very valuable. As your child gets closer to college auditions, make sure you are studying with someone who knows how to guide a student through the process and makes sure the student studies standard repertoire for the instrument. Provide your dc with advancing instruments as they begin to outplay their current ones.

Enter competitions--orchestra concerto competitions, teacher association competitions, instrument association (e.g. National Flute Association) competitions. You or your teacher may need to belong to these groups in order to have access.

Audition for your community's youth ensembles--most larger orchestras offer middle school and high school ensembles. You might have to search a bit for wind ensembles. Be willing to drive for an ensemble--people in our city drive their kids 2 1/2 hours each way for a better youth orchestra than the one we have in our city.

I've heard sports parents often say that they have spent more money through the years on their dc's sport than they ever recover in scholarships. I know that has been true for my violin and flute dd's. Do these things because you love them, not because there's a possible financial opportunity at the end. Music is very competitive, and while you can certainly do a lot less than I've outlined above and have a wonderful music experience, it's important to know that there are many people who are doing the things I've mentioned, and they will be competing for scholarships.

We've discovered the music scene to be both thrilling and discouraging at the same time. (We've loved the path, though!)

Beth

Ha! Oh man, when I read the title of your post I couldn't help but think of a terrible, horrible, no good CD that came with some curr. I bought - it was what I call "hs music" - a hs family singing the little jingles for the curriculum! I was embarrased for them!

However, I must say I respect your goal...nevermind my out of left field associaitions!

:tongue_smilie:

Michele

Most college scholarships for music are for a particular instrument, not something general like band or orchestra. How easy it is to win a scholarship varies by instrument--flute is highly competitive, with some large schools only accepting 3-4 new players per year, bassoon is much less competitive, and schools seek players to round out their ensembles.

The most important aspect of preparing for a college scholarship is to be very good at your chosen instrument. Depending on which schools you would like to attend, you may be competing with students who have had 12 years of private instruction, practiced a minimum of 2 hours per day through high school, auditioned for and performed regularly in youth orchestras and wind ensembles, and attend a number of summer-long music festivals. Dd #2 has recently finished her college auditions for violin, and I was surprised how many of these super prepared/very good players were out there, and that they turned up auditioning at schools not necessarily highly ranked for their music programs.

Study with good teachers--those networking connections are very valuable. As your child gets closer to college auditions, make sure you are studying with someone who knows how to guide a student through the process and makes sure the student studies standard repertoire for the instrument. Provide your dc with advancing instruments as they begin to outplay their current ones.

Enter competitions--orchestra concerto competitions, teacher association competitions, instrument association (e.g. National Flute Association) competitions. You or your teacher may need to belong to these groups in order to have access.

Audition for your community's youth ensembles--most larger orchestras offer middle school and high school ensembles. You might have to search a bit for wind ensembles. Be willing to drive for an ensemble--people in our city drive their kids 2 1/2 hours each way for a better youth orchestra than the one we have in our city.

I've heard sports parents often say that they have spent more money through the years on their dc's sport than they ever recover in scholarships. I know that has been true for my violin and flute dd's. Do these things because you love them, not because there's a possible financial opportunity at the end. Music is very competitive, and while you can certainly do a lot less than I've outlined above and have a wonderful music experience, it's important to know that there are many people who are doing the things I've mentioned, and they will be competing for scholarships.

We've discovered the music scene to be both thrilling and discouraging at the same time. (We've loved the path, though!)

Beth

:iagree: I completely agree with Beth. I had a scholarship for voice -- another very competitive instrument. Your kids may not be able to participate in UIL competitions, but finding a good teacher, participating in youth orchestras, and entering non-school related competitions will help.

Also, don't get tunnel vision for THE music schools (you know, Eastman, Julliard, etc) as there are verygood state unis with excellent schools of music, including my alma mater. :)

Above all instill a love of music in your children. "Music parents" can have the same uber-competitive, poor musicianship (i.e. sportsmanship) as "sports parents". I'm teaching my eldest two piano right now and we're just enjoying the learning process. Good luck with everything!

(And don't forget the theory!) :tongue_smilie:

I just had this conversation with DH. He never had music. He cannot sing, read music or dance. He couldn't find the beat with his head in a metal tub with someone banging it on the other side. I however was in band for years, I was in voice competitions for years. Once I graduated from high school, I never picked up my instument again (really who wants a clarinet in the band after high school?-except college band?) , I only sing in church these days. I want my children to enjoy music, to be a part of bands after school ends--you know when life begins. The goal is to be able to play and sing with other people. So we are starting with the piano (two yrs) the guitar (1-2 yrs) the violin (two) flute/drums two) starting in the 5th grade. This is all flexible (except piano) and hopefully they will find an instument they like and go further. But all these instuments are played in adulthood (of course I could be wrong--which you ladies will point out)

Lara

How old are your kids? Most schools do not start band until 5th grade.

This is what we do for music.

K & 1st grade - we learn some simple songs to sing, and learn to clap rhythms, to tell when a pitch is higher and lower, patterns in music etc. (I use a Kodaly book for this).

2nd grade - 6th: We learn to read music by learning to play the recorder. We use the Windsong recorder series for this. We also do some round singing and simple harmony.

7th and up: They can choose an instrument. Ds (7th) is starting to learn classical guitar.

My ultimate goals - learning to read music, to be able to do simple harmony and to be able to take music further if they were to choose to do so.

We also learn some basic music history and appreciation as part of our history.

They'll be going into 4th and 5th. They have been singing and playing the recorder since 1st grade. So we've done something similar to you. This summer we're working on learning notes and rhythms, and we'll learn some folk songs and chorals. Then this fall, when she's ready, I'll start DD1 on the flute. I've been letting her play with the head joint now, so she can figure out how to make a sound, and get a feel for the embouchure.

Maybe when i was in school things were different? I went to a community college, and all I had to do was go in a room with the band director, play some scales and whatever else he asked for. As long as you could play, you were pretty much in, and there was $600 of your tuition. LOL Maybe community colleges are just easier to get into?

I don't have access to any of that though. We live in a very rural area. There's just nothing here. There's a county school that's not very well funded. I don't know of any school in the area that have bands, or any kind of music. The elementary school here doesn't even have an art or history teacher. I graduated from a school in a county north of here, transferring there from a school in another state. It had a band, and I was told then that I was lucky to have found a school with a band.

So I don't know where I'd find any kind of competitions, or teachers, or other that play instruments. Also I couldn't really afford lessons, and with our location, I can only go to town every so often anyhow. For now, it'll just be me teaching them. And I have no idea how to make any of this happen for them :confused:

I

've heard sports parents often say that they have spent more money through the years on their dc's sport than they ever recover in scholarships. I know that has been true for my violin and flute dd's. Do these things because you love them, not because there's a possible financial opportunity at the end.

Well yeah. I'm not wanting them to learn solely for the scholarship. I feel learning music is very important, that it has a lot of benefits, and it's fun. It's thrilling to be able to play music, and even more so when you play it well. I used to get a big adrenaline rush from band :D

But still, when you're thinking ahead to the expense of college education, it's nice to have something like that you love that will help you with the expense. We're a low income family, and I wouldn't be able to invest buckets of money into... anything. Scholarships are important. Learning to play music when you already have instruments- that just cost a little time, with many kinds of rewards in the end.

Also, don't get tunnel vision for THE music schools (you know, Eastman, Julliard, etc) as there are verygood state unis with excellent schools of music, including my alma mater. :)

LOL my mind hadn't even gone there. I was just hoping for community college, or state university. I want them to grow up to do what ever they want to do. And if that leads to be very talented musicians, well that would be wonderful. But I was just hoping they'd like playing an instrument long enough to stick with it till college. And if they still wanted to play it in college, maybe get a little bit of a scholarship for it.

Above all instill a love of music in your children. "Music parents" can have the same uber-competitive, poor musicianship (i.e. sportsmanship) as "sports parents". I'm teaching my eldest two piano right now and we're just enjoying the learning process. Good luck with everything!

(And don't forget the theory!) :tongue_smilie:

Oh, no I'm not I'm hung up on competition. All I want is for them to learn music, and hopefully like it. I'd never push them into it if they don't. Right now they do have an interest in it. I just don't know how to a music class at home when my only experience has been in a ps/college band. It will be very different from what my experience was. I don't know what I should aim for here, and what my options are.

I just had this conversation with DH. He never had music. He cannot sing, read music or dance. He couldn't find the beat with his head in a metal tub with someone banging it on the other side. I however was in band for years, I was in voice competitions for years. Once I graduated from high school, I never picked up my instument again (really who wants a clarinet in the band after high school?-except college band?) , I only sing in church these days. I want my children to enjoy music, to be a part of bands after school ends--you know when life begins. The goal is to be able to play and sing with other people. So we are starting with the piano (two yrs) the guitar (1-2 yrs) the violin (two) flute/drums two) starting in the 5th grade. This is all flexible (except piano) and hopefully they will find an instument they like and go further. But all these instuments are played in adulthood (of course I could be wrong--which you ladies will point out)

Lara

Yes, that's our goal also - learn to play something that you will enjoy and be able to carry into adulthood. Our dc take turns playing the piano as we sing our hyms after our Bible study every day.

I want my children to enjoy music, to be a part of bands after school ends--you know when life begins. The goal is to be able to play and sing with other people. So we are starting with the piano (two yrs) the guitar (1-2 yrs) the violin (two) flute/drums two) starting in the 5th grade. This is all flexible (except piano) and hopefully they will find an instument they like and go further. But all these instuments are played in adulthood (of course I could be wrong--which you ladies will point out)

This is my goal as well. Music has been a major focus for us, which I find rather surprising, because it sort of just happened organically. :tongue_smilie: I had a couple of years of piano lessons, can still play about 5 songs, and have basic notereading skills - but can't sit down and play/sing something from paper.

But I always wished I'd had more musical education. I felt frustrated as an adult that I had no way to make music (as I couldn't sing either), though I do have a very good ear. I figured singing was easiest to learn, so I helped start an intergenerational chorus (I was the admin person :)), and it's just ending now after 7 years together - and the kids and I all learned to sing, and my notereading improved (though it's still not stellar). My kids all sing harmony easily (something I can do now, but have to work at). The last two years my older two kids got to participate in a huge performance with childrens' choruses from all over the state. I'm going to join a local adult chorus next year, because now I can't imagine not singing.

And, I signed them all up for instrument lessons around 5yo - what started as 15 min. lessons each has now become 45 minutes each (and daily practice of course) and my voilinist is in orchestra and sometimes plays with a local fiddle band (she's the only kid). Our big family vacation is attending a music camp. I have no idea how this happened, but I'm glad it did... and my homeschooled kids have had a much, much better musical education than I ever did.

If they grow up and are able to make and enjoy music, that will be enough for me. (and I'm still annoyed I can't play an instrument better - maybe I'll get to that when the kids grow up... :D)

I guess by goals, I'm not really thinking long term want them to love music forever kind of goals. I guess I'm thinking more like mini adventures in music. Something to keep it fun each year, instead of just practicing day after day after day, for no real reason other than to learn music. When we have very limited access to outside resources, what can I do to make it enjoyable.

Like this coming up year. Beginner band. I know I want her to learn to read music, some scales, play simple songs like Mary Had a Little Lamb, and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Maybe a simple seasonal tune, Jingle Bells or something. Will just learning to play be enough to make it all worth it for her? Are there activities that I can include I might not have thought of, to make it all a little more exciting. I can't give her the whole beginner concert band experience, what can I give her that is just as rewarding?

As far as performance opportunities, check with community schools of the arts, community bands/orchestras (most will happily take children just as readily as they'll take adults who played as children), various churches/religious groups (if your beliefs allow this), civic organizations (many have competitions-and while a young beginner won't be able to compete with high school seniors, the performance experience and judging is helpful. If you have a teacher who is a member of the state music teaching association, it's likely Solo/Ensemble festival will also be an option, as, possibly will be district, regional, and state bands/choirs for high school students.

For very young beginners, retirement communities often appreciate having kids come and play.

One thing you might want to look at is Sound Innovations-this is a new band curriculum Alfred has just come out with (disclaimer-I was part of the focus group for it last year, but otherwise have no connection to the company) that is nice in that it's customizable, so you can pick and choose songs that your DC will enjoy playing. It also includes a CD and DVD of the songs, which makes it good for home use. It's a little more expensive than most band books, but the customizability makes it really nice for homeschoolers, especially, who only have to meet the desires/needs of a few children at at time.

If you really want a good chance at a college scholarship, play something strange. There almost certainly is a school that has some endowed scholarship for it somewhere, that goes unclaimed almost every year. I was able to find a student a full ride for Mandolin at Vanderbilt, and I know Carnegie Mellon University gives a full ride every year for Bagpipes.

Edited by Dmmetler2

This isn't as fancy or even as significant as a band or choral concert, but we've put together a CD of recorder pieces and vocal pieces (sung as solos, duets and trios) for family members. We've also sung for church. And we've had a couple of small recitals for family and friends. It has given my kids a more immediate goal in their music study.

This isn't as fancy or even as significant as a band or choral concert, but we've put together a CD of recorder pieces and vocal pieces (sung as solos, duets and trios) for family members. We've also sung for church. And we've had a couple of small recitals for family and friends. It has given my kids a more immediate goal in their music study.

Thanks! those are wonderful ideas!

As far as performance opportunities, check with community schools of the arts, community bands/orchestras (most will happily take children just as readily as they'll take adults who played as children), various churches/religious groups (if your beliefs allow this), civic organizations (many have competitions-and while a young beginner won't be able to compete with high school seniors, the performance experience and judging is helpful. If you have a teacher who is a member of the state music teaching association, it's likely Solo/Ensemble festival will also be an option, as, possibly will be district, regional, and state bands/choirs for high school students.

For very young beginners, retirement communities often appreciate having kids come and play.

One thing you might want to look at is Sound Innovations-this is a new band curriculum Alfred has just come out with (disclaimer-I was part of the focus group for it last year, but otherwise have no connection to the company) that is nice in that it's customizable, so you can pick and choose songs that your DC will enjoy playing. It also includes a CD and DVD of the songs, which makes it good for home use. It's a little more expensive than most band books, but the customizability makes it really nice for homeschoolers, especially, who only have to meet the desires/needs of a few children at at time.

If you really want a good chance at a college scholarship, play something strange. There almost certainly is a school that has some endowed scholarship for it somewhere, that goes unclaimed almost every year. I was able to find a student a full ride for Mandolin at Vanderbilt, and I know Carnegie Mellon University gives a full ride every year for Bagpipes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check into them.

If you're wanting something a bit obscure, you could look into historical re-enactment. Instruments are expensive, so it's not as though every lady and her lapdog has a few in her closet, but there are people around who play these instruments. Musicians are always in demand for balls and dance practices so there would be opportunities to practice, and probably in a group. That's how I'm hoping to direct my kids anyway. Anything to avoid sports for working in teams practice!

Rosie

If you're wanting something a bit obscure, you could look into historical re-enactment. Instruments are expensive, so it's not as though every lady and her lapdog has a few in her closet, but there are people around who play these instruments. Musicians are always in demand for balls and dance practices so there would be opportunities to practice, and probably in a group. That's how I'm hoping to direct my kids anyway. Anything to avoid sports for working in teams practice!

Rosie

Another obscure thing - Early Music Guild! Since it is mostly recorder, we can fit right in. I haven't been in years but often the 1st time is free as a trial. Then you pay dues if you want to join.

Another obscure thing - Early Music Guild! Since it is mostly recorder, we can fit right in. I haven't been in years but often the 1st time is free as a trial. Then you pay dues if you want to join.

I was mooching about online one day, looking up earlier period instruments. I was surprised at the range of recorder type instruments available!

Rosie- not musical ;)

I was mooching about online one day, looking up earlier period instruments. I was surprised at the range of recorder type instruments available!

Rosie- not musical ;)

Oh yes! Some of them are rather funky looking! We have a tenor recorder and I can barely reach my fingers to cover all the holes. I'm sure some of them are pretty difficult to play.