Menu

Would you let your 6yodd watch "The Business of Being Born"?

I just watched this a few weeks ago and I have to say that I probably wouldn't. They say the f word several times and there is some nudity.

The only part I think I might let her watch would be the part where the woman has a waterbirth - it was a very relaxed and calm birth and you never really see those on the big screen. Births are usually pictured as frantic and scary.

Having said that, I really don't think my 6yo would want to sit and watch the whole thing anyway. :)

I would let her watch some parts. The nudity doesn't bother me, but there are some potentially scary scenes that may be better to avoid until she is older/more mature. It's one you'd want to preview and decide if she's mature enough to handle it or not.

My kids have watched a lot of birth videos (I teach childbirth education) and have seen my anatomy books on birth, etc. They've also (most of them anyway) seen me give birth to their younger siblings. All that said, I was disturbed by some of the scenes in TBOBB, mainly because I approach labor with the mindset that it doesn't have to be extremely painful/difficult (I use hypnosis, which reduces/eliminates pain without drugs). So, I'd be more concerned about my daughters internalizing that birth must and will hurt terribly than I would about F-bombs and naked birthing women. :tongue_smilie:

Just finished watching it. I think I would be fine with letting dd watch it with me. She's been really into talking about birth lately, but she said that her friend told her that doctors cut the baby out and I want her to know that that's not normal.

The naked people in it don't bother me; I mean, they're having babies. I ended up naked when I was in labor with my last three babies. (The first one I was wearing a hospital gown, I haven't been back to a hospital since baby #1).

I wouldn't, but not for the usual reasons. Firstly, I just don't want them watching screens for that long at that age. Secondly, I seem to remember that this movie does show a birth that isn't completely natural (I might be wrong - I have seen a few birth related movies), which I'd rather them not see until a bit later. I have explained to the kids that some women go to hospital to give birth instead of having their babies at home, but I'd still rather they have a bit longer to absorb non intervention home birth as the norm so that they don't get desensitized to medicalized birth.

My kids have not seen it, mostly b/c they wouldn't be interested enough to watch the entire thing. How many 6yos are fascinated by the actual facts and opinions of the debate????

It's been a while since I've watched it myself, but I don't recall anything specific that I would want to shield them from (other than age-appropriate boredom, lol.)