Menu

The book arrived in the mail today. I did a quick look through it to see what it contains.

At first glance it appears to be okay. Not exactly the caliber I was looking for, though. The examples and readings appear a bit immature (the book is for 5-8 grade)and it references movies like Home Alone, which I am not too thrilled with.

The terms and definitions seem to be explained adequately and the assignments pertain to the topic at hand.

I purchased it to use as a supplementary resource for Lit. Analysis and I think it will do the job.

Now, if only I could find a good lit program for 8th/9th grade.

The book arrived in the mail today. I did a quick look through it to see what it contains.

At first glance it appears to be okay. Not exactly the caliber I was looking for, though. The examples and readings appear a bit immature (the book is for 5-8 grade)and it references movies like Home Alone, which I am not too thrilled with.

The terms and definitions seem to be explained adequately and the assignments pertain to the topic at hand.

I purchased it to use as a supplementary resource for Lit. Analysis and I think it will do the job.

The book pulls from a mix of authors and works: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Edgar A. Guest, Davy Crockett (perfect for hyperbole), The Phantom Tollbooth, Mark Twain, Treasure Island, "The Night Before Christmas," Li Po, Carl Sandburg, Emily Dickinson, F. Scott Fitzgerald, D. H. Lawrence's Women in Love,Shakespeare, Paradise Lost, Emerson, John Donne, George Bernard Shaw, John Keats, The Velveteen Rabbit, O. Henry, Nathanial Hawthorne, Robert Frost's "Mending Wall" (symbolism), Rudyard Kipling, Beowulf, Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven," Oliver Wendell Holmes, Walt Whitman, Mother Goose, Matsuo Basho, Lewis Carroll, an excerpt from Chief Joseph's speech "I Will Fight No More Forever," and the list goes on.

In the lesson on parallelism, students decide what grammatical structure is repeated in passages from "The Declaration of Independence," "The Gettysburg Address," and "Untie His Hands," by Frederick Douglass. Students examine why Thomas Paine frequently repeats ideas in different words throughout his works.

The exercise on conflict does cover more "immature" works but I think the point is to pick work most children will be familiar with like Wrinkle in Time, Hatchet, and Charlotte's Web, so they will readily be able to pick out the major conflict. Again, I think the same concept is at work in choosing fairly tales to discuss foreshadowing. If you had to provide summaries of more sophisticated works, the lessons may become too long and the point lost.

Oddly, I think of this book in the same terms as MCT, deceptively simple-looking and highly effective.

The book pulls from a mix of authors and works: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Edgar A. Guest, Davy Crockett (perfect for hyperbole), The Phantom Tollbooth, Mark Twain, Treasure Island, "The Night Before Christmas," Li Po, Carl Sandburg, Emily Dickinson, F. Scott Fitzgerald, D. H. Lawrence's Women in Love,Shakespeare, Paradise Lost, Emerson, John Donne, George Bernard Shaw, John Keats, The Velveteen Rabbit, O. Henry, Nathanial Hawthorne, Robert Frost's "Mending Wall" (symbolism), Rudyard Kipling, Beowulf, Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven," Oliver Wendell Holmes, Walt Whitman, Mother Goose, Matsuo Basho, Lewis Carroll, an excerpt from Chief Joseph's speech "I Will Fight No More Forever," and the list goes on.

In the lesson on parallelism, students decide what grammatical structure is repeated in passages from "The Declaration of Independence," "The Gettysburg Address," and "Untie His Hands," by Frederick Douglass. Students examine why Thomas Paine frequently repeats ideas in different words throughout his works.

The exercise on conflict does cover more "immature" works but I think the point is to pick work most children will be familiar with like Wrinkle in Time, Hatchet, and Charlotte's Web, so they will readily be able to pick out the major conflict. Again, I think the same concept is at work in choosing fairly tales to discuss foreshadowing. If you had to provide summaries of more sophisticated works, the lessons may become too long and the point lost.

Oddly, I think of this book in the same terms as MCT, deceptively simple-looking and highly effective.

So, in order to do Figuratively Speaking, do you need to read all of these books (or have read them in the past)? I've always wondered this!

Also, how long does it take to do the assignments--is it daily for a full school year? How much time for each one?

Thanks! Merry :-)

So, in order to do Figuratively Speaking, do you need to read all of these books (or have read them in the past)? I've always wondered this!

Also, how long does it take to do the assignments--is it daily for a full school year? How much time for each one?

Thanks! Merry :-)

No, you definitely don't need to have read all the authors or books that I mentioned. I was responding to Dragon Academy's original post regarding the level and quality of the literary examples used. There are 40 lessons and I use them in conjunction with whatever else we are doing. For example, we are using MCT's A World of Poetry. This is how I lined things up:

MCT - Chapter 2 covers rhyme, rhyme scheme, alliteration, assonance, consonance, and reversal

FS - I used Lessons 9, 10, 12, and 15-17. These covered alliteration, assonance and consonance, onomatopoeia, repetition and refrain, rhyme, and run-on and end-stopped lines.

It's not that either MCT or FS could not have stood alone, but together they were very effective. Lessons will take us 10-30 minutes to complete.

You don't have to do the FS lessons in order. The first one we covered at the beginning of the year was Lesson 19 on allusion. We are doing ancient history this year and our first readings were Genesis and famous myths. Many of the literary works that you cover in this time period are alluded to in later works. At the same time, I had a lesson in the mythology book that I was using regarding allusions in mythology, so it worked out well.

Some weeks I might use up to 3 lessons and then for two weeks running, I may not use any of the lessons. I love the flexibility of FS.

I hope this has helped.

What do you think about Figuratively Speaking vs. CLE Reading? I asked this on another thread. I'm interested in opinions about kid-friendliness and teacher-intensiveness. I'd love to do a lit. study with my kids, but as I've scheduled the things I'm doing for next year, I have run out of time!

It may be possible to do FS 1st semester informally... we'll be doing Ancients with Biblioplan. Any ideas? Then, maybe 2nd semester I could use CLE. This would be for 6th and 7th grades. I have no experience with either.

Anyone on comparing FS with CLE Reading?

What do you think about Figuratively Speaking vs. CLE Reading? I asked this on another thread. I'm interested in opinions about kid-friendliness and teacher-intensiveness. I'd love to do a lit. study with my kids, but as I've scheduled the things I'm doing for next year, I have run out of time!

It may be possible to do FS 1st semester informally... we'll be doing Ancients with Biblioplan. Any ideas? Then, maybe 2nd semester I could use CLE. This would be for 6th and 7th grades. I have no experience with either.

Anyone on comparing FS with CLE Reading?

Did you see this thread? This might help you with understanding CLE. FS and CLE are apples and oranges. Again, FS is one tool to use in teaching literary analysis. Let's say I am using Lightning Literature for my 6th grader. With LL, I get a book list, books if I don't have them, and lesson plans. LL tells me that A Christmas Carol is a great work to use in learning about character development. My son and I might spend a week or more reading the story, learning about the 5 methods of developing a character and then create a character utilizing those methods. Now maybe, my son is not clear about character development, or themes, or plots, or how to use irony even though the instruction in my curriculum is good. Then I will pull out FS and we will go over the pertinent lesson to help his understanding.

FS will not tell you that the heroes in Greek myths portray the values of the society that created them. Nor will it tell you what the main conflict of the Odyssey is. For that you will need a good literature program, or you will need to follow the suggestions in TWTM if you are a DIYer. A great book like Deconstructing Penguins can help.

I hope I haven't mislead anyone into thinking that FS is a full literature program. Think valuable tool in the toolbox, not the toolbox itself. Another example, we are reading The Magician's Nephew and the kids are really laughing at a particular part. I might point out that this passage was a brilliant example of the successful use of irony. The youngest looks at me and says, "Huh?" I whip out FS and we talk about irony. Well, I don't really like to interrupt a good story, so it goes on the next day's lesson plan.

Edited by swimmermom3
I really should proofread!

My son and I might spend a week or more reading the story, learning about the 5 methods of developing a character and then create a character utilizing those methods. Now maybe, my son is not clear about character development, or themes, or plots, or how to use irony even though the instruction in my curriculum is good. Then I will pull out FS and we will go over the pertinent lesson to help his understanding.

This is exactly what I am planning on using it for. :001_smile:

add Jill Pike's syllabus and you have a complete lit. analysis for 9th grade

FYI - you have to join the IEW Families yahoo group to see it in the files/lessonshare ($5 donation to use it):

A One-Year Course Combining:

Teaching the Classics by Adam Andrews

Windows to the World: An Introduction to Literary Analysis by Lesha Myers

Teaching the Classics World View Supplement by Adam Andrews (optional)

Each student will need:

• Windows to the World: Student Book (one per student) • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (you may substitute another novel) • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (you may substitute another novel) • Hamlet by Shakespeare (you may chose a different play)

FYI - you have to join the IEW Families yahoo group to see it in the files/lessonshare ($5 donation to use it):

A One-Year Course Combining:

Teaching the Classics by Adam Andrews

Windows to the World: An Introduction to Literary Analysis by Lesha Myers

Teaching the Classics World View Supplement by Adam Andrews (optional)

Each student will need:

• Windows to the World: Student Book (one per student) • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (you may substitute another novel) • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (you may substitute another novel) • Hamlet by Shakespeare (you may chose a different play)

Michelle, would I be able to use Windows to the World secularly?

We do 1 lesson a week. It takes approximately 30min. They use excerpts from books. Not need to have read them.

We do 1 lesson a week. It takes approximately 30min. They use excerpts from books. Not need to have read them.

Thank you! I like to hear how different people are using this.

No, you definitely don't need to have read all the authors or books that I mentioned. I was responding to Dragon Academy's original post regarding the level and quality of the literary examples used. There are 40 lessons and I use them in conjunction with whatever else we are doing. For example, we are using MCT's A World of Poetry. This is how I lined things up:

MCT - Chapter 2 covers rhyme, rhyme scheme, alliteration, assonance, consonance, and reversal

FS - I used Lessons 9, 10, 12, and 15-17. These covered alliteration, assonance and consonance, onomatopoeia, repetition and refrain, rhyme, and run-on and end-stopped lines.

It's not that either MCT or FS could not have stood alone, but together they were very effective. Lessons will take us 10-30 minutes to complete.

You don't have to do the FS lessons in order. The first one we covered at the beginning of the year was Lesson 19 on allusion. We are doing ancient history this year and our first readings were Genesis and famous myths. Many of the literary works that you cover in this time period are alluded to in later works. At the same time, I had a lesson in the mythology book that I was using regarding allusions in mythology, so it worked out well.

Some weeks I might use up to 3 lessons and then for two weeks running, I may not use any of the lessons. I love the flexibility of FS.

I hope this has helped.

Very helpful, thankyou! I LOVE flexible programs where I can use them as I want to, tweak, add stuff around them, go on a tangent and come back to them--I might have to look more at this one.

Any other LA programs that have been flexible that you have liked? Merry :-)

but borrowed IEW WTTW & TTC from a friend a couple of years ago. IEW products usually can be used secularly. So, yes, I think you can use them.

Did you look at the samples? http://www.curriculumconnection.net/windows.htm

Thank you. A link that has free shipping is always good news.:D I looked at this a couple of months ago but wanted to hear from more people that had used it first.

Did you see this thread? This might help you with understanding CLE. FS and CLE are apples and oranges. Again, FS is one tool to use in teaching literary analysis. Let's say I am using Lightning Literature for my 6th grader. With LL, I get a book list, books if I don't have them, and lesson plans. LL tells me that A Christmas Carol is a great work to use in learning about character development. My son and I might spend a week or more reading the story, learning about the 5 methods of developing a character and then create a character utilizing those methods. Now maybe, my son is not clear about character development, or themes, or plots, or how to use irony even though the instruction in my curriculum is good. Then I will pull out FS and we will go over the pertinent lesson to help his understanding.

FS will not tell you that the heroes in Greek myths portray the values of the society that created them. Nor will it tell you what the main conflict of the Odyssey is. For that you will need a good literature program, or you will need to follow the suggestions in TWTM if you are a DIYer. A great book like Deconstructing Penguins can help.

I hope I haven't mislead anyone into thinking that FS is a full literature program. Think valuable tool in the toolbox, not the toolbox itself. Another example, we are reading The Magician's Nephew and the kids are really laughing at a particular part. I might point out that this passage was a brilliant example of the successful use of irony. The youngest looks at me and says, "Huh?" I whip out FS and we talk about irony. Well, I don't really like to interrupt a good story, so it goes on the next day's lesson plan.

This was *very* helpful, Lisa. Thank you! I am trying to teach a developmentally delayed Aspie, a gifted 11 yr. old, and a math intuitive but dyslexic 9 year old. I often find great materials, but get bogged down in implementation. Is this a good example of your methods in all the subjects?

This was *very* helpful, Lisa. Thank you! I am trying to teach a developmentally delayed Aspie, a gifted 11 yr. old, and a math intuitive but dyslexic 9 year old. I often find great materials, but get bogged down in implementation. Is this a good example of your methods in all the subjects?

It's so kind of you to think that there is any method to my madne..er teaching.:D

Seriously, like you, I am a whiz at finding great materials but implementation can be an issue. One of my favorite all-time teaching techniques requires a little preparation beforehand and yet I am bad about getting things together, even though I know how it's really effective.

So, here's my favorite language arts tool - do with it what you will::tongue_smilie:

While you are doing your read-aloud(s), make a note when you come across a great sentence or paragraph. Try to pick something that's meaningful to your child. If you are reading a biography, pick an inspiring quote. If you are reading literature, pick some great dialogue, a fine example of irony, a sample of allusion or alliteration, or a gorgeous descriptive passage.

On the first day, the passage is for copywork in a special book with cool pens, the second day is for dictation and if you want, a third day would be for you printing out the passage with spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors and letting junior fix it.

My plan comes primarily from Julie Bogart at BraveWriter. Up to this point, you have worked on improving handwriting, spelling, grammar, punctuation, and to a certain extent memory. Julie offers a subscription where you receive a plan for a book a month. The Dude and I read A Wrinkle in Time earlier this year. This was one of the books in Julie's Boomerang subscription. The first week, there is a brief introduction to the author and some comments on their writing style. Then the student does the copywork/dictation assignment. There will be more brief comments that describe punctuation challenges and also, often you get the bonus of discussing a literary term. Your copywork/dictation comes out of the same book for a month.

This is such a sweet, effective method! We added two or three lessons from Figuratively Speaking during that month and called it good. Now, you've added literary analysis for very little extra time. I am grateful to Juli Boggart but the ongoing expense of the subscription is a bit much for my budget. My goal for next year is to organize myself and our language arts in such a way as to take advantage of this exercise. It really helps kids to "see" how their favorite authors write. And best of all, the lessons are short and to the point.

I hope this makes sense. Swimmer Dude is doing math and yelling out the answers as I write this. Lisa, this is probably way more info than you wanted.:tongue_smilie: I just thought it could be adapted for your boys.

It's so kind of you to think that there is any method to my madne..er teaching.:D

Seriously, like you, I am a whiz at finding great materials but implementation can be an issue. One of my favorite all-time teaching techniques requires a little preparation beforehand and yet I am bad about getting things together, even though I know how it's really effective.

So, here's my favorite language arts tool - do with it what you will::tongue_smilie:

While you are doing your read-aloud(s), make a note when you come across a great sentence or paragraph. Try to pick something that's meaningful to your child. If you are reading a biography, pick an inspiring quote. If you are reading literature, pick some great dialogue, a fine example of irony, a sample of allusion or alliteration, or a gorgeous descriptive passage.

On the first day, the passage is for copywork in a special book with cool pens, the second day is for dictation and if you want, a third day would be for you printing out the passage with spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors and letting junior fix it.

My plan comes primarily from Julie Bogart at BraveWriter. Up to this point, you have worked on improving handwriting, spelling, grammar, punctuation, and to a certain extent memory. Julie offers a subscription where you receive a plan for a book a month. The Dude and I read A Wrinkle in Time earlier this year. This was one of the books in Julie's Boomerang subscription. The first week, there is a brief introduction to the author and some comments on their writing style. Then the student does the copywork/dictation assignment. There will be more brief comments that describe punctuation challenges and also, often you get the bonus of discussing a literary term. Your copywork/dictation comes out of the same book for a month.

This is such a sweet, effective method! We added two or three lessons from Figuratively Speaking during that month and called it good. Now, you've added literary analysis for very little extra time. I am grateful to Juli Boggart but the ongoing expense of the subscription is a bit much for my budget. My goal for next year is to organize myself and our language arts in such a way as to take advantage of this exercise. It really helps kids to "see" how their favorite authors write. And best of all, the lessons are short and to the point.

I hope this makes sense. Swimmer Dude is doing math and yelling out the answers as I write this. Lisa, this is probably way more info than you wanted.:tongue_smilie: I just thought it could be adapted for your boys.

Lisa: I am going to have to move near you and be your neighbor! THANK YOU FOR THIS!

Love this! I can see how effective it would be. My oldest is all about practical, needing things to relate to real-world examples. This fits the bill and is so elegant.

I can tell by these posts that my problem is using my materials in a holistic way. I *think* that way, but am not *teaching* that way. Hmmmm. This is a big thing to think about! Thanks!

I love Julie Bogart & Bravewriter! I wanted to do the copywork/dictation thing for LA one year & my kids said they wanted workbooks! Well, it's easier on me but not what I had in mind (especially after taking her copywork/dictation class!). I might have to revisit this though & see if they are willing for me to sneak some of this in. I have made them continue with some copywork.

Merry :-)

I love Julie Bogart & Bravewriter! I wanted to do the copywork/dictation thing for LA one year & my kids said they wanted workbooks! Well, it's easier on me but not what I had in mind (especially after taking her copywork/dictation class!). I might have to revisit this though & see if they are willing for me to sneak some of this in. I have made them continue with some copywork.

Merry :-)

Too funny, Merry! You were the one from Sonlight that prompted me to look at The Writers Jungle in the first place. Rereading The Writer's Jungle and trying to line it up with my MCT materials is high on my priority list for this summer.

You can't find any better than LLfLOTRs. It is truly fabulous. (and my complete endorsement of any program without restriction is limited to about 3-5 things after 16 yrs of doing this. This is definitely one of them......with the comment that we did it slowly over 2 yrs in order to fully appreciate the units between books.)

Too funny, Merry! You were the one from Sonlight that prompted me to look at The Writers Jungle in the first place. Rereading The Writer's Jungle and trying to line it up with my MCT materials is high on my priority list for this summer.

Ahhhh, another thread I thought of in the middle of the night: MCT and writing! A few folks were going to try and use *solely* MCT for writing, and I was wondering about a check in.

You can't find any better than LLfLOTRs. It is truly fabulous. (and my complete endorsement of any program without restriction is limited to about 3-5 things after 16 yrs of doing this. This is definitely one of them......with the comment that we did it slowly over 2 yrs in order to fully appreciate the units between books.)

8FilltheHeart, it's great to see you back on the board! I would agree that there is nothing out there better than LLfLOTR for teaching literary analysis - at least not that I have seen. Not to mention the bonus that it is fun for both teacher and student. If you have time would you please drop by this thread? It's starts out about the Duke King Arthur study but we spend a fair amount of time talking about LLfLOTR. I threw out some ideas on how I am using parts of it this year. I used LLfLOTR as outlined, with my older son, but am changing things for the youngest. I would appreciate your input. While I am happy with what we are doing, I am wondering if removing and using some of the non-LOTR units this year will make the flow awkward when we do the rest of the study.

8FilltheHeart, it's great to see you back on the board! I would agree that there is nothing out there better than LLfLOTR for teaching literary analysis - at least not that I have seen. Not to mention the bonus that it is fun for both teacher and student. If you have time would you please drop by this thread? It's starts out about the Duke King Arthur study but we spend a fair amount of time talking about LLfLOTR. I threw out some ideas on how I am using parts of it this year. I used LLfLOTR as outlined, with my older son, but am changing things for the youngest. I would appreciate your input. While I am happy with what we are doing, I am wondering if removing and using some of the non-LOTR units this year will make the flow awkward when we do the rest of the study.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are intending to do. I read all the material the site had available online. It looks like it would be an excellent addition to the unit in LL. I think it would also make an excellent lead into Sir Gawain and even Song of Roland for that matter.

However, I am confused. Are you just pulling out the units and not doing them between the LOTR books? If that is what you are doing, it has been too long since I did it for me to be able to answer your question. So much is in the actual book study, that I am not sure how it would work to pull out just the units away from the book study.

That said.......we spent literal months on a couple of the units. By the time we had done an in depth study of the Iliad and the Odyssey, I think we probably spent 7 weeks or maybe even longer just on that unit.

Also, from what I saw from the info on the site, I would suspect that lit analysis is going to be a very minor focus. It seems to focus more on the historical aspects of knighthood and chivalry vs. actually doing lit ana. But, it is precisely for that reason that I think it would excellent to cover it prior to Sir Gawain and/or Song of Roland since understanding the code of chivalry is really necessary to get the most from the books.

I'll do a check in. ;)

Who's next?

Me!

We had started an IEW theme book, but once we started Paragraph Town I dropped IEW. So far I am pleased. I have found the writing labs appropriately challenging for my dc, and I am able to carry the assignments over to other subjects. We're only on lesson 11 though. :)

I'll do a check in. ;)

I couldn't let go of WWE, IMO they work on different skills. So my older two kept going with that in addition to MCT's Island level.

I did put IEW in the basement and it's stayed there.

I was rotating through the exercises in the back of Sentence Island, but felt I needed more. So I started expanding on the Practice Island sentences, by using Killgallon's Sentence composing techniques (there is a pdf link somewhere in cyberspace I found, but can't located at the moment). Anyway, the boys would analyze there sentence, then "chunk" it, then write an imitation sentence.

My kids didn't want the structure or sources they had with IEW and had a lot they wanted to write about, but were worried about criticism or it not being perfect. So I also added Laura's/Bravewriters free or quick write idea. I let my boys select a topic and write about. We started for 1 minute, now are up to 10 daily. They write with a timer and in ink, then read it to me, I find something positive to comment on and they file it. I just wanted them not to be afraid to get their thoughts down, even if they may need polished.

My 4th grader also used Remedia's two outlining books, but instead of writing paragraphs, I allowed him to use my phone and voice memo the paragraph, again wanting to focus on the concepts and not mechanics.

We're moving on to Town, last week I finished previewing and making my notes on all the materials. I also have PWME for my then 5th grader and my 3rd grader will still be in WWE.

Who's next?

Me!

We had started an IEW theme book, but once we started Paragraph Town I dropped IEW. So far I am pleased. I have found the writing labs appropriately challenging for my dc, and I am able to carry the assignments over to other subjects. We're only on lesson 11 though. :)

Dragon Academy: I must apologize for hijacking your thread *twice*.

Jen and Michelle: Thanks for the MCT update.

We ditched CW, WT and R&S (writing) and my kids have been more than thrilled. They are loving MCT, and so I feel great about staying on course with it. We are still doing some outlining and dictation alongside, but in a relaxed way (I'm going to incorporate swimmermom's ideas in this thread). I ordered Lost Tools of Writing for myself, and am looking forward to playing around with that this summer.

I've been looking for a way to cover some literary analysis over the summer. I want to one novel with a study guide, and the poetry unit we didn't finish from LL7. But I also wanted to have some short lessons covering different literary terms. It sounds like Figuratively Speaking might be just what we need.

Now, if only I could find a literature analysis guide for ds's favorite manga, and we'd really be in business! :001_smile: It was funny last week as we were discussing a book he's reading, Sign of the Chrysanthemum, and I was talking about the "coming of age" story, and the typical arc, and how the main character's experiences, people he meets, etc., change him along the way. He immediately said, "Oh! Like Naruto! He changes and grows up throughout the series."

Wendi

I've been looking for a way to cover some literary analysis over the summer. I want to one novel with a study guide, and the poetry unit we didn't finish from LL7. But I also wanted to have some short lessons covering different literary terms. It sounds like Figuratively Speaking might be just what we need.

Now, if only I could find a literature analysis guide for ds's favorite manga, and we'd really be in business! :001_smile: It was funny last week as we were discussing a book he's reading, Sign of the Chrysanthemum, and I was talking about the "coming of age" story, and the typical arc, and how the main character's experiences, people he meets, etc., change him along the way. He immediately said, "Oh! Like Naruto! He changes and grows up throughout the series."

Wendi

Sidetracking again, but Wendi, how is Sign of the Chrysanthemum? I first heard of it two days ago so your post is timely.

Sidetracking again, but Wendi, how is Sign of the Chrysanthemum? I first heard of it two days ago so your post is timely.

We're only a third of the way into it, but so far we like it. My ds is obsessed with Japan, and we're studying Asia right now in geography, so I downloaded this cool little workbook from Currclick. It uses three books (one nonfiction book on Japan, plus Sign of the Chrysanthemum and The Samurai's Tale) to study Japanese history during the samurai era. FYI, we also watched a fascinating PBS documentary series on Netflix called "Japan: Memoirs of a Secret Empire".

Wendi

We're only a third of the way into it, but so far we like it. My ds is obsessed with Japan, and we're studying Asia right now in geography, so I downloaded this cool little workbook from Currclick. It uses three books (one nonfiction book on Japan, plus Sign of the Chrysanthemum and The Samurai's Tale) to study Japanese history during the samurai era. FYI, we also watched a fascinating PBS documentary series on Netflix called "Japan: Memoirs of a Secret Empire".

Wendi

Wendi, thank you so much. My husband grew up in Japan as part of a missionary family, so my kids are obsessed with learning Japanese and about Japan. I am in the process of planning for our medieval studies for 7th grade next year so this is most helpful.

Wendi

Wendi, thank you so much. My husband grew up in Japan as part of a missionary family, so my kids are obsessed with learning Japanese and about Japan. I am in the process of planning for our medieval studies for 7th grade next year so this is most helpful.

Okay, you two are dangerous. :lol: I clicked on the thread because I already own Figuratively Speaking, thanks to swimmermom. Now I'm adding to my list, surprise. I ordered Samurai's Tale earlier and I adore Katherine Paterson's books. So now I just ordered Sign of the Chrysanthemum and put the thematic unit on my list. Jumping over to Netflix now.

Now *there's* a publishing niche that needs filling! A bonus if the guide was done in manga format itself. My daughter will read and enjoy *anything* in a graphic novel format.

happygrrl - What a coincidence! I just copied a post by Andrew Kern from the high school board on lit analysis. I really liked what he had to say. Gosh darn...another curriculum I have to buy. I may have to revisit my part time job thread I started in General forum.

And for those of you wanting to know where Andrew Kern's post is, post 19....

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171821&page=2

I have by-passed this thread since its beginning because, even though I have Figuratively Speaking and have no idea how to use it, I didn't want to have one more thing to think about. I am so happy that my 'little voice' urged me to open the thread this morning. It has been so helpful. Thank you, Lisa, for sharing how you use it. This has helped me so much. :D

Just FYI about the documentary, there is some discussion of concubines, courtesans, etc. Nothing explicit, but if your dc is too young to hear mention of prostitution, you'll want to preview. I don't remember which episode that was in.

Wendi

I generally love Paterson's books, but I strongly disliked the way that Sign of the Crysanthemum ended and knocked it off our reading list because of it. My kids would have been devastated by the ending.

How does it end?:confused:

Wendi