Menu

Scrapbooking? I don't get it.

I'm an introvert, but I spend almost 24/7 around loud, clingy, whiney people. ;) Everything I pour into them comes from the beauty & order of my inner world. When I let that world go for too long, my relationships begin to reflect the chaos that I'm feeling inside.

This sums up perfectly why I enjoy scrapbooking (although I do digital--no time/space/money for paper). I've enjoyed other hobbies as well (sewing, painting, decorating), but this one has been my favorite and longest lasting. It's cheap and doesn't take up any extra room, but satisfies my need to be creative and do something just for me. :001_smile:

I'm not offended by the OP either. It's a shrug-my-shoulders kind of post, but I relate to it. I see/hear/read about people doing things I think are crazy all the time.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. I have highlighted some of your posts in red. These seem to apply to all scrapbookers.

Then, the ones in purple seem to apply to only those obsessed ones -- the ones who take it to extreme (in your opinion).

red -- all scrapbookers:

excitement over a hobby is something you don't understand.

Scrapbooks are just glue, pictures and paper cutouts collecting dust.

purple -- obsessed ones (according to your definition of the word)

spend a lot of money on it

have a hobby room

take a hobby vacation

ignores her children b/c she does her hobby all day

spends $350 on a machine that allows her to enjoy her hobby more

Questions for you. I have already, I believe, made these points

1. If a person has disposable income, and they aren't saving it all, what are they spending it on? If you have disposable income, what are you spending it on? Would you care to tell us? I know these are things some women spend money on (not implying any of these are bad to spend money on):

acrylic nails

pedicures

magazine subscriptions

routine clothes/fashion shopping

fashion shoe and purse shopping

daily $4.50 drinks from Starbucks

cable

lots of fast food

lottery tickets

large homes

Kindles

I-phones

tanning booths

gym membership

backyard pool

game room

face lifts

spray tans

permanents in hair

hair coloring

jewelry

cruises

motorcycle

boat

candles

knick knacks

paintings

visual entertainment

and so on

2. Do you think it's wrong to have a hobby room in general or just one devoted to scrapbooking? Would it be wrong to have a model railroading room or a fitness room? As an extension of this, do you think it's wrong to have any more house than is necessary?

3. Do you think it is wrong to take a vacation without the family or just to go on a scrapbooking one? Like, would it be okay to go to the beach and sip on margaritas?

4. Do you think it's wrong to spend $350 on something a person enjoys? Go back to the list of things a woman can spend money on. Would it be wrong to spend $350 on any of these things?

5. Do you really know that this lady spends all of her time scrapbooking and ignores her children? How would you know this unless you were there all of the time? Perhaps she is a great manager of time. Perhaps she scrapbooks at other times? If she is truly neglectful, a person can be this way by watching television 'all' day or on the computer 'all' day. Why blame a hobby for child neglect?

Wow. Um, you're clearly putting a lot more energy into this than I am. You seem to think that I'm actively trying to run some kind of smear campaign against scrapbookers, but really, I just see stuff on fb that makes me scratch my head, so I thought I'd ask. I don't understand why my poking fun at scrapbooking seems to have pushed such a button with you, but I wasn't trying to start world war three here. Let's just agree to disagree on this one, shall we? :)

I don't understand why my poking fun at scrapbooking seems to have pushed such a button with you, but I wasn't trying to start world war three here. Let's just agree to disagree on this one, shall we? :)

But you weren't just "poking fun." You clearly stated that people are crazy for spending a lot of time and/or money on a hobby that they find enjoyable. Calling someone crazy and insinuating that someone who participates in a particular hobby is neglecting their children is rude and offensive. (Have you spoken to the children of the woman you chose to bash? Are they feeling neglected? Or are you projecting your confusion over the craft?) It's one thing to ask what people find compelling about scrapbooking. It's another to call names and make accusations about the quality of someone's child care habits.

Nest was perfectly justified in asking where you draw the line. If it isn't oil paintings or marble sculpture, is it still art? Or should people just bottle up their creativity just because someone else doesn't "understand" it? (I wonder what you'd think about my closet full of yarn and needles!)

I think if you took the time to look into the scrapbooking world, you'd find that many - if not most- of the hardcore scrappers out there with children are doing it for their children, so that they will have records of memories that will certainly fade in the mind with time.

Edited by flutistmom
Clarification: Of course there are serious scrappers w/o kids.

But you weren't just "poking fun." You clearly stated that people are crazy for spending a lot of time and/or money on a hobby that they find enjoyable. Calling someone crazy and insinuating that someone who participates in a particular hobby is neglecting their children is rude and offensive. (Have you spoken to the children of the woman you chose to bash? Are they feeling neglected? Or are you projecting your confusion over the craft?) It's one thing to ask what people find compelling about scrapbooking. It's another to call names and make accusations about the quality of someone's child care habits.

Nest was perfectly justified in asking where you draw the line. If it isn't oil paintings or marble sculpture, is it still art? Or should people just bottle up their creativity just because someone else doesn't "understand" it? (I wonder what you'd think about my closet full of yarn and needles!)

I think if you took the time to look into the scrapbooking world, you'd find that many - if not most- of the hardcore scrappers out there are doing it for their children, so that they will have records of memories that will certainly fade in the mind with time.

Look, I see nothing wrong with my op. If someone had posted the same thing but in regard to collecting books, I would be the first one to laugh at myself, agree that it is crazy, and explain why I like it. And yes, the person I referred to does emotionally neglect her children. I've known her for years, and I feel that my assessment was accurate. You might want to lighten up, and not take everything so seriously. If my op offends you that deeply, report it. Otherwise, just let it go.

I don't understand why my poking fun at scrapbooking seems to have pushed such a button with you, but I wasn't trying to start world war three here. Let's just agree to disagree on this one, shall we? :)

I have not read all of your replies on this thread, but perhaps a heartfelt apology for ridiculing, or poking fun at as you call it, would be the way to proceed here rather than "agreeing to disagree." If you make a post ridiculing something that is near and dear to people who are going to read your post, don't be shocked when people are offended.

Guest Katia
Katia, we spend the money because it is fun playing with so many different things -- paper, ribbon, chipboard, gems, stamps and more. It is fun. We don't spend the money because we feel it is necessary for pictures and stories to go together. It is about the process as much as the result.

You think going away without family for a weekend or spending a Saturday with friends doing something fun is obsessive? So a ski weekend would be obsessive?

Yes, I think we all spend money on what we love. As long as we're not depriving our families, going into debt, or requiring assistance from someone else to do so, what does it matter what a person chooses to spend her disposable income on?

I spend a lot on my hobby, but it's probably still far less than many people spend on vacations over a lifetime or housing upgrades (neither of which is bad, I am only using these for reference).

Wow. This is totally an over-the-top response when I said nothing inflammatory at all. You are reading something into my post that is simply not there. Why so defensive? I didn't address *you* at all or mention any of these things you bringing up. To each their own and let it go. Sheesh.

Guest Katia
It takes a while to get everything out, figure out which pics you're going to work w/, etc. Say 20-40 min, minimum. Then it takes a while to put it away again. Maybe only 20 min. (This is the argument for having a room for it, too, btw.)

Anyway, if you're going to put the effort into scrapping, you want to make sure you've got a good couple of hrs. If you're scrapping w/ someone (& I think it's innately a social thing, although I only recently learned this), it's that much more effort to get stuff together, & therefore that much better to have some real time w/ it once it's out.

Plus--& this is the big thing--all those expensive machines? I know one person who owns one of them. Nobody else. But when we get together, everybody shares whatever they've got. So you get to use the fancy machine. Retreat places (I've never been) provide some of these things.

If you have 1 hr, you might not finish 1p. But if you have 3hrs, you might finish 6pp. It's like calculus, although I'd have a hard time explaining how. ;)

And--& this is the important part, imo--if you're...not great at the girly, chit-chatty stuff that seems to be what every. other. woman. irl talks about, having an *activity* is a GREAT social buffer. It excuses some social awkwardness. It hides a little shyness. It gives you something concrete to talk about if you must. And...it offers a rte to forging more friendships. You know. If you *have* to.

I still prefer scrapping at home...but only by a smidge. Once I'm out the door (& that IS the hard part--I always have 100 reasons not to go at the last min), I'm pretty glad I've gone. :001_smile:

ETA: No, I don't know of any tutorials. You have to start out w/ really ugly pp like I did. Then you get together w/ other people & feel total humiliation. Then you go to the library & start looking for books. When you're done w/ that, I can recommend the good one. ;)

(And when I say ugly...someone mentioned that you can't just use brown paper bags? Yup. That's exactly what mine look like. People still make fun of me for using Elmer's glue. It just kills me to pay more, so when I run out of the good stuff, it takes 6mos for me to work up the guts to buy another tube. In the mean time, I use Elmer's. My grandkids will hate me.) :lol:

Aubrey, this is great! See, I need someone to lay everything out step-by-step. We just need to get together so you can lead me through all of this by example. Maybe creativity can be 'caught', kwim, because I haven't an ounce that I'm aware of, LOL.

OR, and this is an even better idea........you can help me with the creative part (the artsy stuff) of my books, and I'll make sure you get the words,titles, dates, etc. in your books. Teamwork!! Yes! This is why it's a social thing, right?

And, I won't complain about the Elmer's glue. That makes total sense to me.:D Now, if I just had money for a weekend away (although it would take a LOT more than a weekend of you helping me to see any results, I"m sure :tongue_smilie:)

Okay, offended was too strong. I thought the OP was a little rude calling people who might buy a tool to help w/a hobby as crazy. Although, I see now that she had already apologized. I wouldn't have given it much thought anyways except that the thread keeps popping up and I keep reading it. I'll stop now.

I think if you took the time to look into the scrapbooking world, you'd find that many - if not most- of the hardcore scrappers out there are doing it for their children, so that they will have records of memories that will certainly fade in the mind with time.

:rofl: <== at the bolded term

Hardcore scrappers are primarily doing it for the kids? Is to to say that few of the strictly hardcore are childless by choice?

I have not read all of your replies on this thread, but perhaps a heartfelt apology for ridiculing, or poking fun at as you call it, would be the way to proceed here rather than "agreeing to disagree." If you make a post ridiculing something that is near and dear to people who are going to read your post, don't be shocked when people are offended.

You know what I think? I think people feeling offended are trying to defend their right to some Mamma time and pocket money against the tides of influence that comes from society that says good mothers spend all of their time and all of their money on their children and that it is SELFISH to do hoard a bit for ourselves. I don't think Mergath's views have done anything except trigger off feelings about the previously stated issue.

I think people are saying they want an apology for being called crazy scrapbookers, but that is not the real issue. After all, who here really cares whether Mergath likes scrapbooking? I think people really want her to apologise for knocking a hole in their fortress and letting societies judgments and pressures flood through when they thought they were in a place safe from them.

Rosie

You know what I think? I think people feeling offended are trying to defend their right to some Mamma time and pocket money against the tides of influence that comes from society that says good mothers spend all of their time and all of their money on their children and that it is SELFISH to do hoard a bit for ourselves. I don't think Mergath's views have done anything except trigger off feelings about the previously stated issue.

I think people are saying they want an apology for being called crazy scrapbookers, but that is not the real issue. After all, who here really cares whether Mergath likes scrapbooking? I think people really want her to apologise for knocking a hole in their fortress and letting societies judgments and pressures flood through when they thought they were in a place safe from them.

Rosie

:iagree:

Edited by Renee in FL

Rosie

Spot on analysis! :thumbup1:

Hardcore scrappers are primarily doing it for the kids? Is to to say that few of the strictly hardcore are childless by choice?

I edited my post for clarification. I did not intend any disrespect to the childless scrappers out there. My point was that most scrapbookers (even the most dedicated ones) aren't out there neglecting their kids.

People ARE crazy. I just don't get obssesions like ............. 'scuse me, I think my horse needs something.

:lol::lol: Hahaha! My SADDLE cost me over $1000! Scrapbooking (which I hate because you have to sit down and be indoors) is just a creative person's hobby. Hobbys are fun for the doer. They often don't make any sense to others. Think about people who spend thier vaccation time participating in Civil War re-enactments. I mean, WHY???? I often am astonished at the amount of money a woman will spend on ONE scrapbook page! But then.....I just bought ANOTHER new bit....It's so pretty!

Rosie

Now, now, don't go interjecting reason... LOL

a

There are hardcore scrapbookers? :lol:

(Although I will admit that I am a hardcore sticky date pudding baker.)

Rosie

Wow!! That's good! I find this thread quite freeing. I don't quite know why other than that I have failed at scrapbooking. ;) I did most of a book when I just had my older 2. I could never commit myself to that type of thing because I'd always forget to sit down and do it. I've had some guilt about not doing one, then realizing it's just not in me to constantly be pursuing any hobby...my ADD tendencies seem to keep me from it. I take lots of pics and a large portion of them never make it off the memory card. :lol:

I think it can be a fun hobby, just like anything can be, and depends entirely upon the person doing it. The moms who get uber obsessed to the point that that is ALL they do and that they are spending all their time obsessing about how to do the next page, not spending time with their family, etc., are the same ones who would get obsessive about, well, anything. It's not the hobby that is flawed but that there is something out of balance in the person themselves that would put any hobby/activity at that high of a position.

My mom went to a Christian conference and a mom was speaking about her own out-of-balance perfectionism and brought scrapbooking into the mix. She was one of the hyper-obsessed types. She knew she had a problem when she got home from work and found that her husband had fallen off the roof (or something like that), broken his arm, the ambulance had just gotten there, and her first plan of action was to grab her camera so she could do a scrapbook page on his trip to the hospital :lol:

Edited by Texas T

This sums up perfectly why I enjoy scrapbooking (although I do digital--no time/space/money for paper). I've enjoyed other hobbies as well (sewing, painting, decorating), but this one has been my favorite and longest lasting. It's cheap and doesn't take up any extra room, but satisfies my need to be creative and do something just for me. :001_smile:

Stealing the thread here. What software do you use for this?? I've looked into a few different options and as far as scrapbooking goes, it's what I've wanted to do but have yet to do it. I'd like something I could sit down and do on the computer for short stints of time with no clean-up.

against the tides of influence that comes from society that says good mothers spend all of their time and all of their money on their children and that it is SELFISH to do hoard a bit for ourselves.

I don't see this in our society at all (I realize we are in different countries.) The pack led by Oprah tells mothers to put themselves first. It comes out in people's comments about homeschooling: "I don't think I could be with my children all day." The media and leading women are always warning dire circumstances for those women who don't get enough "me" time.

Nothing to do with scrapbooking, just saying I have not seen this pressure for mothers to spend more time with their families. I think a little bit of that might be a step in a better direction than the "me first" mentality the media promotes.

Rosie

You are spot on!

Now, now, don't go interjecting reason... LOL

a

:lol:

I don't see this in our society at all (I realize we are in different countries.) The pack led by Oprah tells mothers to put themselves first. It comes out in people's comments about homeschooling: "I don't think I could be with my children all day." The media and leading women are always warning dire circumstances for those women who don't get enough "me" time.

Nothing to do with scrapbooking, just saying I have not seen this pressure for mothers to spend more time with their families. I think a little bit of that might be a step in a better direction than the "me first" mentality the media promotes.

Lol, we have that here too, but everyone knows it is a great, big bandaid slapped over the "good mammas are always available" idea and that the "good mammas" idea is supposed to leak through. We'll know we've achieved balance when no one even bothers to say they're going off on a girls weekend away. Now it's "I'm going away, SO THERE!!!"

Rosie

Guest chrissi1

I like to scrapbook- it is cheaper than therapy! But I am not in any way obsessed with it.

I am a digital scrapper, so I find it more relaxing (for me) than paper. Paper scrapping seemed (again- for me) to bring out my inner perfectionism demons. LOL With digital, I like being able to be creative and wacky and serious, depending on the LO. And if I don't like it, either it can sit on my hard drive or I can delete it. If i like it, I can share it online, or print it, or have it printed in a album, from Shutterfly or Artscow.

Scrap pages also make great gifts and my kids really do enjoy seeing what I have come up with for them.

I use ACDsee Photo Editor to scrap with and I keep my photos and scrap supplies organized with ACDsee Photo Manager.

One thing that I really like about digital scrapping is that I feel like I am always learning something new, so new trick, new technique.