Menu

does anyone know how to pronounce the volcano

Haha, I went trying to look it up after seeing a news article where a guy was quoted as having said that he never expected to be stranded by a volcano, "especially one with an unpronounceable name" :tongue_smilie:

I found that it SPEAKS the name on wikipedia, but I can't understand what it's speaking!

maybe you can?

EDIT: hey! it's not working now! the "listen" word was a link yesterday... but it's not showing as a link now... weird.

I find this story just so funny! I heard it on NPR the other morning.

As a side note, what amazing pictures are being posted of this eruption.

Hey, does any other child of the late sixties remember a Disney adventure film, "Island at the Top of the World"? It was about some explorers trying to find the secret burial ground of whales, and they went to, I think, Iceland or Greenland to a volcano and find a secret colony of Vikings? I was so scared of volcanoes for years after that movie. I keep thinking about this movie when I see any news about Eyjafjallajokull.

Did anyone hear the hysterical clip on the BBC radio, with the funky music in the background ("That's not my name!") and the radio announcers trying out pronunciations, and the clips of various announcers avoiding saying the name? I heard it in the car, and have been desperately trying to find a link online so my boys can hear it. Oh, that was funny.

My dad has a friend in Iceland who sent him this link to photos.

I was taken to Iceland (to visit my dad's friend with my family) when I was 7 years old! I still remember parts of it- the short forests, walking on a live volcano- my mother picking up a piece of lava and putting it in her handbag for a souvineer, and it melting a bar of chocolate she had in there. I remember seeing town roofs barely poking up through ash and lava- a town that had been buried a few years before. We also flew over Surtsey.

I did the best school project when I got back to school, on volcanoes, with real live lava for show and tell!

So, I have always had a thing for volcanoes, and Iceland in particular. Iceland has had a very hard time with the economic fallout.

Check out the photos:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/more_from_eyjafjallajokull.html

:lol::lol:

I like what the women said - something about tossing the alphabet up into the air and letting letters land wherever they wanted. :D