Menu

Wanted: Kids book that disproves evolution without starting at the Bible

KinderSafari

NOT LOOKING FOR DEBATE! Please take debates offline with anyone else who wants to debate - not me.

Briefly: I grew up a strong evolutionist, but in college disproved evolutionism with hard core science facts (and YEARS of intense research). Again, NOT looking to argue these points.

HERE IS MY NEED FOR HELP:

A lot of the current intelligent design books start with a belief that the Bible is true. And because the Bible is true we can reason that....

I DO believe that the Bible is true, however, it IS also possible to successfully argue the same point that evolution is false without entering into the religious field at all. There are ADULT books that bring up these points, but my question is, are there any books for kids or teens?

I like Jay Wile's Apologia series because it basically does that - it argues science FIRST and then says, hey, coincidentally, did you know the Bible says this as well? (Clever) We use those textbooks but is there another book/author out there that talks JUST about the intelligent design/evolution arguments from this point?

Thanks!

I know this can be a hot debate, which (again) I'm not looking for, so if anyone starts ranting, I will report my own thread to be pulled. :)

Briefly: I grew up a strong evolutionist, but in college disproved evolutionism with hard core science facts (and YEARS of intense research).

This is quite incredible! Could you provide a link or reference so that I could read more about the results of your research?

Thanks!

NOT LOOKING FOR DEBATE! Please take debates offline with anyone else who wants to debate - not me.

Briefly: I grew up a strong evolutionist, but in college disproved evolutionism with hard core science facts (and YEARS of intense research).There are ADULT books that bring up these points, but my question is, are there any books for kids or teens?

I like Jay Wile's Apologia series because it basically does that - it argues science FIRST and then says, hey, coincidentally, did you know the Bible says this as well? (Clever) We use those textbooks but is there another book/author out there that talks JUST about the intelligent design/evolution arguments from this point :)

:iagree: Apologia is the way to go, also there is the Answers books for kids and a series from The New Answers books grades 7-adult <--- there is a 4 but I can not find it. You should be able to find it on the Answers In Genesis website

Hope that helps

I think maybe I need to visit Answers in Genesis to browse the books in person. :) Wouldn't that be fun? I will check out the ones you recommended. The thing with AIG is that they OFTEN times start out assuming you're in complete agreement with the Bible. And when talking evolution - often times that's a whole separate issue that ends up getting dragged into the discussion - whether the Bible is true or not. That's why I was hoping for one to stay focused on the science differences between intelligent design vs. evolution.

To EKS: Read, read, read. (That's why college was great - I had time for reading back then. :) ) I read both sides of the argument and kept reading until I felt convinced of the intelligent design side and I could adequately debate arguments on both sides. I think it's helpful to be knowledgeable about both sides and what one side is going to be supporting, etc. The last books I read were by Philip E Johnson. Not sure if you read them alone if they would be as conclusive as I found them to be, because I had read so much before that.

Guess I'm looking for something similar to his books on a simpler level. And perhaps - that's just impossible! :) It's a very in-depth topic! If it were simple, there wouldn't be this much debate! :)

I recommend:

Evolution: The Grand Experiment

Living Fossils: Evolution, The Grand Experiment Vol.2

They are written by Dr. Carl Werner, who was a staunch evolutionist and set out to provide proof...then ended up seeing all the gaps. Lots of photos and documentation using fossil records. Textbook format, geared toward middle and high schoolers.

Sorry, have nothing for you, but had to thank you for this thread. Ended up on many a rabbit trail (and a long list of books to read. Dh may ban me from reading the boards if my book list gets much bigger) :)

Also read a bio of Philip Johnson - interesting guy. Regardless of which side of the debate you're on, I think he'd be an interesting guy with whom to chat. One of his quotes seems to speak to what you're saying: "What I am not doing is bringing the Bible into the university and saying, "We should believe this." Bringing the Bible into question works very well when you are talking to a Bible-believing audience. But it is a disastrous thing to do when you are talking, as I am constantly, to a world of people for whom the fact that something is in the Bible is a reason for not believing it... You see, if they thought they had good evidence for something, and then they saw it in the Bible, they would begin to doubt. That is what has to be kept out of the argument if you are going to do what I to do, which is to focus on the defects in [the evolutionists'] case—the bad logic, the bad science, the bad reasoning, and the bad evidence."

Okay. . .no debate here. . .just trying to answer the question you asked. ;)

I have just finished reading a book that disproves evolution through logic. I know you said you want a book that doesn't begin with the Bible. This book does discuss things from the Bible; however, I entirely believe you could use the logic method that the book presents without having to say anything about the parts of the book that talk about the Bible. You could read it yourself and just make up a few lessons on the sections that present the logic. It's not a kids book, but if you were editing it anyway, you would just put the logic into terms your children could understand. It is The Ultimate Proof of Creation by Dr. Jason Lisle. His "ultimate proof" is that evolution contains so many logical fallacies that it can't possibly be true. It is available from Answers in Genesis, and they have a video about Mt. Saint Helens volcano eruption that has plenty of scientific evidence that it doesn't take millions of years to form huge canyons. I know I've seen plenty of scientific evidence in their materials, but you'll have to pull that science out of the book that contains Biblical information if you want it to be free of that. The science is there, you'll just have to do your own editing if you don't want the Bible in there with it.

"It couldn't Just Happen" by Lawrence O. Richards is a good resource. It has pictures on every page and is written on about a middle school level.

The book takes you through the evidence found in astrology, biology, geology and paleontology to show that the Theory of Evolution is only a theory. The book has chapters about the origins of the universe, how life began, dinosaurs, the fossil record, and many other topics. The author takes you through the evidence piece by piece to show that "it couldn't just happen." Although it is obvious that the author believes in creation, he approaches various evolution-based theories and each piece of evidence in an objective manner. This leaves the reader with room to come to his/her own conclusions based on the evidence presented.

The chapters are short and easy to follow. Following each chapter is a section entitled "Just for Fun", which includes review questions, exra reading and simple activities you can do to explore the topic further. It might be a nice resource to use alongside something else you find.

I like Jay Wile's Apologia series because it basically does that - it argues science FIRST and then says, hey, coincidentally, did you know the Bible says this as well? (Clever) We use those textbooks but is there another book/author out there that talks JUST about the intelligent design/evolution arguments from this point?

Thanks!

I know this can be a hot debate, which (again) I'm not looking for, so if anyone starts ranting, I will report my own thread to be pulled. :)

You might want to email Jay Wile and ask if he has any recommendations. He concluded that evolution was not true before he became a Christian, so since he held that perspective from a secular pov, he may have a greater awareness of books written from that perspective.

I'm really kicking myself right now... my ds and I started a book on intelligent design vs evolution last fall. We didn't end up finishing it, but it was one I wanted to buy (we got it from the library). It was written like a comic... two professors each arguing their point... easier to digest for kids, but still pretty complex (of course, as it is a complex subject!). We didn't get all the way through, but it didn't start relying on the Bible... it was certainly from a scientific view. I believe it was published by Answers in Genesis, but I just can't find the book... anyone know of this???? I'm so frustrated with myself.... if I think of it I'll post it.

Okay, well I'm someone who became a Christian after watching a series of videos on creation/evolution. The first one I saw was a bunch of interviews of evolutionists and how idiotic they sounded. Now mind you, at the time I watched this, I was an evolutionist myself. I thought creationists were stupid. And there I was, for the first time in my life, seeing all these scientists making evolution sound absolutely absurd and ridiculous. I haven't thought about this for years, but after reading this thread and thinking about it, I remembered the title. I did a search for it and I don't see any videos, but there is a book! That Their Words May be Used Against Them by Henry Morris. It doesn't look very kid-friendly, though.

The other videos I saw were by Roger Oakland. I've been to his website (Understanding the Times) and the ones I watched back in 1998 aren't there anymore, but he has a 4-disc set that looks like it might be equivalent. I don't remember whether any of it presumed that the Bible was true, but I do know that I personally didn't hold that assumption going into it, and was convinced.